• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

How much longer after
you collect the cell phone does Louie steal the juice, I don't want to waste my time collecting fruit otherwise

later game spoilers:
It's a good bit after that yet. After you catch Louie again you get all the fruit juice back so it's not like you're wasting time collecting fruit before that.

Defect

I have all the fruit in two areas. Will do Twilight River tomorrow, then I'll complete Garden of Hope. I think this second run will surpass my first in length. Also found the roll mechanic. Wish it had been placed more conspicuously! Gr...
I'm on my second run currently. I have 44 fruit at Day 16. How do people 100% this game at Day 10?

Shahadan

I guess this guy's drawing deserve a place here

zlCfzRFPkJIqiqqdSw

zashga

Still plugging away, gathering fruit... finished off two stages so far. I've only found four secret memos so far, though. Does the game ever indicate how many you still need to find on each level?

Edit: ^^ Nice work, that man.

LOCK

Finally got 100% and finished the game. Wow, it was amazing. One of the best games of the year, and only The Last of Us really has an edge.

So the credits sequence, was that a hint of a sequel or was that showing us how the ship originally crashed?

Either way, I want DLC and a sequel. I hope the Purple and White Pikmin make a return in future stuff at least.

Fandangox

Loving the game. I think I unlocked the final area.

second boss battle of the Garden of Hope felt amazing, I felt like it was a Shadow of the Colossus sequence.

Also random picture I took.

zlCfzRFPhnY4h1Ht2M

jepense

Got all the fruit in 39 days. Now I really don't understand how the game clock works. I beat the game earlier at 11:50, then continued from the day before, got all the fruit, beat the final boss again. Clock says 11:46... Apparently it didn't account for the fruit collection time after beating it once?

Simultaneously, I've done some mission mode. It's so addictive, much more than I though! I tend to get silver the first try, gold the second, and then it takes a couple of more runs to optimize the run well enough to get everything (got 5 platinums so far). And at that point it's impossible to quit before beating the level, because you know you can do it.

It would've been nice though if there were also levels that can't be "completed" so that you'd really have to consider whether getting this or that. Now you know you have to get everything, and it's "only" a question of order and method. Not complaining though, really good stuff.

Just beat the game with all the fruit. Loved it. Great experience. I enjoyed every boss except for the last one.

I'm a bit unsure of how I feel about the last stage in general. It's quite a change of pace. It was still enjoyable to play. But it's like the game expects you to do rapid exploration as well as fight a big battle juggling different PIkmin types, but it also is balanced to allow you to power through with the brute force of the juice mechanic and the carried-over boss damage. It's a strange mix, and I'm not sure I like it as much as a conventional boss battle, a la Pikmin 2.

Overall, Pikmin 3 is a blast to play and to discover. The first two are among my favorite games, and I'd place this above the first but below the second, personally. The exploration is better, but the de-emphasis of enemy threat, enemy types, and combat in general made the environment feel less dangerous.

I do like the Rock and Winged pikmin more than the purple and white. Another nice thing is that the game seems to allow an even greater degree of freedom in how you tackle objectives (although that could be my memory).

And the story cliffhanger is weird as well.

Onto Mission Mode...

For sure. It's actually amazing how much better the remote feels. Free aiming while running in another direction is worth it alone.
I don't know.. I switched to gamepad. I agree that controlling the game with Wiimote is better, but you need to do things with he gamepad pretty often and i thought it ruined the immersion. Now with playing on the gamepad it's more of a ongoing immersive experience. But for challenges, you really need to play with the Wiimote.

PrimeX

Can co-op be played with 1 player using Gamepad screen and the other the whole TV? Split-screen is annoying somehow.

I just got to the
River area. Hopping on and off the lilly pads is done really nicely, and I am in love with the flying Pikmin, they are really cool. I thought I was doing really well in the area, lifting the huge trapdoors to get the tiles for the bridge, then I wondered why the tile number wasn't going down... turned around and saw the spider web, cheeky placement! :)

So, I am currently on Day 20 I think, as I have been collecting lots of fruit along with the way (20 bottles in storage at the moment), how far through am I? The Pikmin I have are
Red, Yellow, Rock, and Flying. Should I have more than that, or is the game crazy huge? There are quite a few more Pikmin than that, aren't there?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just was on the lunch break at work and I saw a kiwi on the plate of one of my colleagues. My immediately thought was to send in some pikmins to pick it up. :D

My girlfriend was dreaming all night that she was sending pikmins to gather all the fruits.

And all this because we spent yesterday more than two hours to platinum one of the missions.

Oidisco

Just check your map when you're getting close to the end of a day. When the "hurry up" warning pops up, that's a good time to go searching for any Pikmin out in the field.

And remember, you don't have to bring Pikmin back to the Onion, as long as they're in your squad they'll be safe

Also keep in mind you have three astronauts, so its always handy to keep an astronaut with a group Pikmin that is working while you go exploring / do something else with other Pikmin and astronauts.

If you run in a puzzle that requires two or three astronauts just go back to it another day.

Also a general tip: keep in mind you can retry a day as much as you want. When I got to a new map, or new areas in a map, I usually explored it to know the surroundings, fruit, enemies and obstacles, and retried the day with all the things I knew I had to do in the back of my mind.

Not that you'll run out of fruit soon. The game is pretty forgiving with wasting time.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I just got to the
River area. Hopping on and off the lilly pads is done really nicely, and I am in love with the flying Pikmin, they are really cool. I thought I was doing really well in the area, lifting the huge trapdoors to get the tiles for the bridge, then I wondered why the tile number wasn't going down... turned around and saw the spider web, cheeky placement! :)

So, I am currently on Day 20 I think, as I have been collecting lots of fruit along with the way (20 bottles in storage at the moment), how far through am I? The Pikmin I have are
Red, Yellow, Rock, and Flying. Should I have more than that, or is the game crazy huge? There are quite a few more Pikmin than that, aren't there?

One more type, the game is not super-huge, if you only play story mode.

Jrs3000

Does anyone have advice on how to round up Pikmin at the end of the day? I usually end up with 5 or 6 that separated from the pack :(

Always keep your pikmin with one of the astronauts. Call them back after you throw them or have them build something. Aslong as they are with a astronaut when times up they will be safe.

Kerub

Banned
Pikmin newbie here, I'm stuck at this place.

zlCfzRFSoKMeEbS673

I feel like I'm here to early (only have rock/red Pikmin and two commanders) but it seems to be the only way to progress. I'm supposed to find the captain.

Gotta say, the fifth boss is still my favorite. He's just so massive and visually interesting.
The way he mucks about the water is fantastic. The sound design is great here – you can hear every mucky step. And, of course, the muddy water in this arena is splendid. I remember the first time I attacked the behemoth and his slimy, sticky tongue popped out to eat my pikmin. I thought, "What the fuck is that?!" The game's IQ – and what Nintendo can do with the system – really shines through on the tongue. You can see just how slimy and sticky and gross it is.

I think the fourth boss remains the most fascinating, and is my second favorite.
I love how she plays this harp thing to control her minions. It's a very dynamic battle with you trying to avoid her minions.

Both arenas are beautiful in their own right that's reflective of the level. Twilight River's arena has a wonderful forestry atmosphere while Garden of Hope's has this rainy, jungle feeling.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

zlCfzRFSoKMeEbS673

I feel like I'm here to early (only have rock/red Pikmin and two commanders) but it seems to be the only way to progress. I'm supposed to find the captain.

You can do it now. Throw a commander on the left with a few pikmin, then throw more pikmin on the right side to raise that commander and their squad up. Then you can grab the fruit in the middle. (Edit: oh wait, there's no fruit in your image. Odd, maybe it spawns later?)

You need all three commanders and an additional pikmin type to continue to the right and get the Other Stuff, and it's a bit trickier.

Either way, though, it's an optional area. The captain is elsewhere.

ASIS

Welp, fuck me

IMG_1514_zpsbaae12c1.jpg

Boredem + Disposable Income + Pikmin 3 + W101 pushed me over the edge today. Played until day 4, this game is up to my lofty expectations so far.

This is probably the most irrational decision I've made so far in the last 3 years, but I don't regret it one bit :p

Welp, fuck me

IMG_1514_zpsbaae12c1.jpg

Boredem + Disposable Income + Pikmin 3 + W101 pushed me over the edge today. Played until day 4, this game is up to my lofty expectations so far.

This is probably the most irrational decision I've made so far in the last 3 years, but I don't regret it one bit :p
Proud of you son. Enjoy :')

Gotta say, the fifth boss is still my favorite. He's just so massive and visually interesting.
The way he mucks about the water is fantastic. The sound design is great here – you can hear every mucky step. And, of course, the muddy water in this arena is splendid. I remember the first time I attacked the behemoth and his slimy, sticky tongue popped out to eat my pikmin. I thought, "What the fuck is that?!" The game's IQ – and what Nintendo can do with the system – really shines through on the tongue. You can see just how slimy and sticky and gross it is.

I think the fourth boss remains the most fascinating, and is my second favorite.
I love how she plays this harp thing to control her minions. It's a very dynamic battle with you trying to avoid her minions.

Both arenas are beautiful in their own right that's reflective of the level. Twilight River's arena has a wonderful forestry atmosphere while Garden of Hope's has this rainy, jungle feeling.
The 4th and 2nd boss are my favorite, ive yet to beat the final boss so it could change. Very dynamic and an interesting strategy to take them on. That and I didn't lose any Pikmin on either one of them.

Haines

Banned

zlCfzRFSoKMeEbS673

spoilersish

you need to go get the third commander, focus on that the path is close to your ship in garden of hope i think and its pretty much spelled out for you. i missed it and spent a lot of wasted time, so i dont want that to end up to someone else

Coconut

Banned
Welp, fuck me

IMG_1514_zpsbaae12c1.jpg

I felt the same way earlier this week when I was at Target and the guy selling me my WiiU brought out a Wii, but then I played a few hours of Pikmin, went into chill mode Nintendo goodness and was like, 'you fuckers got me again.'

zlCfzRFSoKMeEbS673

for some reason i think you need the yellow pikmin here too, but i may be wrong.

Kerub

Banned
for some reason i think you need the yellow pikmin here too, but i may be wrong.

You can do it now. Throw a commander on the left with a few pikmin, then throw more pikmin on the right side to raise that commander and their squad up. Then you can grab the fruit in the middle. (Edit: oh wait, there's no fruit in your image. Odd, maybe it spawns later?)

You need all three commanders and an additional pikmin type to continue to the right and get the Other Stuff, and it's a bit trickier.

Either way, though, it's an optional area. The captain is elsewhere.

Your captain is in another castle.

spoilersish

you need to go get the third commander, focus on that the path is close to your ship in garden of hope i think and its pretty much spelled out for you. i missed it and spent a lot of wasted time, so i dont want that to end up to someone else

Thanks! ^_^ Btw, I had taken the fruit already. For some reason I was sure that this was the only way to go at that point.

I finally have time to get back to this game!

I think I'll stick with the gamepad for my first playthrough, as it's serviceable and I like the map right there between my hands. Then I'll probably switch to motechuck and see how much more I kick ass on the missions and getting 100% :)

I finally have time to get back to this game!

I think I'll stick with the gamepad for my first playthrough, as it's serviceable and I like the map right there between my hands. Then I'll probably switch to motechuck and see how much more I kick ass on the missions and getting 100% :)

That's what I did. I'm using the wii remote now on my second playthrough and the game feels so much better.

LOCK

I felt the same way earlier this week when I was at Target and the guy selling me my WiiU brought out a Wii, but then I played a few hours of Pikmin, went into chill mode Nintendo goodness and was like, 'you fuckers got me again.'

Seriously....This is bad on Nintendo and the employee.

Parallacs

I have a feeling the game is going to slam me hard soon.

I am at day 14 and have 42 fruit. At this pace I would end at 20 or so.

MickeyPhree

My week long ban is up.

I was desperate for something new to play and bought pikmin3 on the eshop on a whim. I have never played the previous two games and was honestly was never particularly interested.

This is one of the finest games I have ever played...I'm just starting day 4 and have recovered four pieces of fruit. Maybe my opinion will change as I get farther into it, but everything about this game is incredible.

So I've been playing and I'm confused on some mechanics and I hope someone can help explain-

I have finished Day 2, and I've now re-played it 3 times. Every time I do get a bit "further" and do better-the second time I left 3 Pikmin behind on accident, and my daughter freaked out when they sadly ran up to watch the Onions fly away-so I did Day 2 over to rescue everyone.

Is there a "perfect" way to do each day? Or is it basically "Get as far as you can each day, make sure all Pikmin are safe, go up to space" and when Day 3 you come back down and resume where you left off?

I guess I'm trying to determine if there is a set goal I should be trying to reach by the end of Day 2. I got 2 commanders, and a ton of Red and Black Pikmin, data files-and I got to that "balance" puzzle posted above-but then it was out of time.

*I hate the limited time mechanic*

Top Bottom