• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

CrisKre

So I've been playing and I'm confused on some mechanics and I hope someone can help explain-

I have finished Day 2, and I've now re-played it 3 times. Every time I do get a bit "further" and do better-the second time I left 3 Pikmin behind on accident, and my daughter freaked out when they sadly ran up to watch the Onions fly away-so I did Day 2 over to rescue everyone.

Is there a "perfect" way to do each day? Or is it basically "Get as far as you can each day, make sure all Pikmin are safe, go up to space" and when Day 3 you come back down and resume where you left off?

I guess I'm trying to determine if there is a set goal I should be trying to reach by the end of Day 2. I got 2 commanders, and a ton of Red and Black Pikmin, data files-and I got to that "balance" puzzle posted above-but then it was out of time.

*I hate the limited time mechanic*

Aside from the beginning of the game and a specific point quite a bit along the adventure, there is no perfect run for a day. The mastery is a bit more long term, meaning finishing the game using less supplies. That said, make sure you are perfecting your multi taking by sending other captains to different sections of the map and sending the right pikmin with them to accomplish the specific tasks.

So I've been playing and I'm confused on some mechanics and I hope someone can help explain-

I have finished Day 2, and I've now re-played it 3 times. Every time I do get a bit "further" and do better-the second time I left 3 Pikmin behind on accident, and my daughter freaked out when they sadly ran up to watch the Onions fly away-so I did Day 2 over to rescue everyone.

Is there a "perfect" way to do each day? Or is it basically "Get as far as you can each day, make sure all Pikmin are safe, go up to space" and when Day 3 you come back down and resume where you left off?

I guess I'm trying to determine if there is a set goal I should be trying to reach by the end of Day 2. I got 2 commanders, and a ton of Red and Black Pikmin, data files-and I got to that "balance" puzzle posted above-but then it was out of time.

*I hate the limited time mechanic*

Play at your own pace. The juice mechanic is very lenient. Get some fruit. Build some army. Chill. Enjoy.

And that's amusing about your daughter. Good father to go back and restart just for three pikmin.

Aside from the beginning of the game and a specific point quite a bit along the adventure, there is no perfect run for a day. The mastery is a bit more long term, meaning finishing the game using less supplies. That said, make sure you are perfecting your multi taking by sending other captains to different sections of the map and sending the right pikmin with them to accomplish the specific tasks.

So essentially the "day" mechanic is simply to give you a point to wrap everything up to avoid danger-and ensure your juice doesn't run out? Otherwise is there a hard limit to the number of days?

RomanceDawn

My Wiimote went wonky for the first time in a long time. My weak old pink Pikmin were getting devoured by that little spider. How do I recalibrate my Wiimote plus in the middle of the game?

ASIS

My week long ban is up.

I was desperate for something new to play and bought pikmin3 on the eshop on a whim. I have never played the previous two games and was honestly was never particularly interested.

This is one of the finest games I have ever played...I'm just starting day 4 and have recovered four pieces of fruit. Maybe my opinion will change as I get farther into it, but everything about this game is incredible.

Just finished day 7... Game gets even better.

I honestly didn't have high expectations from Pikmin. I played a little Pikmin 2 and didn't get what I needed to do right away and gave up on it. Pikmin 3 was one of those "there is nothing else on the system" games I bought because I'm a sucker.

But wow. The game is beautiful, charming, the story is terse but cute and nicely told considering the subject matter. And it's fun. I really had fun playing it. The bosses were all neat and got progressively more epic. I'm looking forward to trying out Bingo Battle and co-op missions.

The story is short, but I already restarted it to try to get a better score. Charlie, Alph, and Brittany are all better characters than Louie too. I wonder if thewhite and purple pikmin make a cameo in any form.

Spoilers:

I finished the game in 44 days. The last boss took me 6 days to figure out. And that last boss was so neat. It was like a shark was stalking me the whole time. If they make another Pikmin in a few years I hope they add more stuff like this in it. 3 captains is kind of pushing it though. I think my brain can only muti-task properly with 2, so Pikmin 4 shouldn't have 4 captains to go through.

stuminus3

Decided to try going back for a little Pikmin 2 (Wii version) and IMMEDIATELY got extremely frustrated at the lack of touch screen to direct Louie with. We need a NEW New Play Control Pikmin 2 with additional features offered by the Wii and Wii U controllers. :D

Parallacs

Decided to try going back for a little Pikmin 2 (Wii version) and IMMEDIATELY got extremely frustrated at the lack of touch screen to direct Louie with. We need a NEW New Play Control Pikmin 2 with additional features offered by the Wii and Wii U controllers. :D

Haha I bet this is frustrating.

I am halfway through Pikmin 3 and I still try to march my pikmin away from enemies like Pikmin 2. I really miss that control.

Frodo

Moar screenshots from the game:

zlCfzRFTSRwNrsA4SP

Art Academy Sketch Pad

Eteric Rice

Guys I need help here. I'm trying to get the Captain back, but cannot find him. I always end up in a
cave trying to beat mothra. I've tried turning all of the lights on, but eventually I just run out of time.

Any strategies? I'm getting pissed. lol

Coconut

Banned

It would break the game.

Guys I need help here. I'm trying to get the Captain back, but cannot find him. I always end up in a
cave trying to beat mothra. I've tried turning all of the lights on, but eventually I just run out of time.

Just beat mothra. I remember doing that battle in one day, but if you need to go back, the damage should carry over from day to day. Worry about the Captain after that battle.

Mik_Pad

Banned

Did you tried with the big red battery in the back of the cave where you have to build the bridge?

If not throw some yellow pikmin to turn on the main light source on the cave and then proceed to beat the crap out of that ugly beast.

whillywhack

Neo Member
Anybody else going for all platinum medals in mission mode? Some of the missions are extremely difficult to perfect, I've noticed that in some missions only about .5% of people on the leaderboards have platinum medals. Thank god Miyamoto at least put some challenge in the game.

Aaaaaaand done. 100%. Both runs took me a total play time of ~18 hours together. I didn't hate the last level on my second run as much as the first because I knew what was coming and handled it better, but I still didn't have much fun with it. Easily the weakest part of the game for me in comparison to Tropical Wilds, Twilight River, Garden of Hope, and Distant Tundra. I also must say that the last boss is my least liked.
I understand what they were trying to go for – a creature that would require you to use all types of pikmin – and it's a great idea in theory! But I think the idea was ruined by giving the boss partially regenerative health. It's a huge spike in the difficulty, and it doesn't make using appropriate groups of pikmin at a certain moment all that effective. The only strategy I could really think of that was useful was using charge on the dude in the hopes that he'd die quickly from overwhelming force.

Given how the end of the story points out that
the crash of the Drake wasn't an accident
, it reminded me to mention a theory I've had about pikmin since a kid. It may sound crazy, but I always thought of the pikmin as some weird evolution of humanity that went wrong. Yes, yes, I know. It sounds insane.

Anyway! This game was definitely worth a purchase of a Wii U. Now time to dive into ZombiU....

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Regarding the reward for finding the secret memos:
it sure kinda sucks that you only get one of the five videos. All that lookin, and for what? A fifth of what I could see? Am I supposed to play the game and find the memos 4 more times from scratch? I mean the videos are all pretty much the same. Same setup, Louie runnin around like an idiot. But a single like 40 second video that's basically a gag hardly seems worth it. Pikmin 2 had a similar gag video at the end but it was at least a little more significant. You get snippits of what Olimar was doin on the planet from these, sure, but getting only one of the five still blows.

TheChits

Finally completed it. Definitely my favorite Pikmin and my favorite game in a long time.
That ending though...they better have some dlc to explain what the heck actually happened

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Regarding the final boss:
I bet it's actually the water wraith from Pikmin 2. The one in the cave, with the rollers? It got golded up between the games somehow and kept Olimar as a pet because it remembered him from the previous game.

Either that, or it's a similar species, a remnant of humanity, perhaps a war machine that assisted in the annihilation of the human race.

Or it's a SHOGGOTH

Anyway that whole last level was a disaster my first day, then I restarted it and approached it differently, since I knew what its deal was. I had Brittany with 10 winged Pikmin and Olimar, and literally had her lead the boss around in a circle for three days. The first loop after the straight hallway at the start of the level. Cleared out the rest of the map with Charlie and Alph, and just walked Brittany halfway around the circle using "Go Here" every time I got an alert that the boss was approaching.

Kinda crazy how the boss was spoiled for me on Miiverse pre-release, though, along with the boss before it. But I didn't remember it at all until I encountered it, and was like "oh shit I remember some gold thing on Miiverse huh." And the boss before it, we were all postin pix of it before the game came out and I don't think any of us had any idea what we were actually looking at. It looked like part of the landscape to me. Poor spoiler-marking, Miiverse admins!

I kinda hope that the "cliffhanger" at the very end of the credits, if you can even really call it that, doesn't get any kind of followup explanation via the DLC. Just because it might instead imply that they'll actually make Pikmin 4 some day. ;_;

Finally completed it. Definitely my favorite Pikmin and my favorite game in a long time.
That ending though...they better have some dlc to explain what the heck actually happened

This... the ending seemed really lacking.
The ending changes slightly if you get all of the fruit, but it's still pretty disappointing that it was more or less just a few text boxes

Hope Nintendo doesn't take too long on the DLC either.

Just completed the third boss fight and have really enjoyed them. The second fight
Phosbat
was particularly fun with its use of space and different techniques. Boss fights have consistently gotten better with each Pikmin game.

I kinda wish that the day clock didn't start until you pulled Pikmin out of the Onion, giving you a bit of time to map out your plan of attack but I guess roaming around solo first and then selecting Retry Day doesn't add that much time.

Has been thoroughly enjoyable thus far. Looks spectacular, controls flawlessly, and the minor UI/control changes/additions they have made are all great.

It is just refreshing playing this game as there is nothing like it, especially it's emphasis on nature, both it's beauty/serenity and it's savagery.

noobasuar

Banned
So I just started playing the game and I'm on day 3 and I haven't been given the option to use a Wiimote yet. Is that coming soon or did I just miss something?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So I just started playing the game and I'm on day 3 and I haven't been given the option to use a Wiimote yet. Is that coming soon or did I just miss something?

To switch controllers in this game you just push a button on the desired device to activate it.

It hot swaps to that device. If you push a button on a previous device it swaps back to that. When using a Wii remote, you can still touch the gamepad's screen to pause and engage map functions without deactivating the wiimote however.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
On day...24 or 25 now I think. Just got blue pikmin, so I am probably playing slowly but eh.

I don't really have much to say aside from this game is fantastic. This + the wonderful 101 demo have done a hell of a lot to make me appreciate my dust collecting wii u.

I just started Mission mode. I think I'm only going to go for gold medals. I'm too old, and my reflexes too slow to go for platinum. I used to be into hardcore challenge, and for some games (like Fire Emblem Lunatic), I still am. But I think Gold will be a sufficient challenge for me, given the first few missions.

Hobbestetrician said:
It is just refreshing playing this game as there is nothing like it, especially it's emphasis on nature, both it's beauty/serenity and it's savagery.

Agreed. The game definitely captures the duality of nature so well.

On day...24 or 25 now I think. Just got blue pikmin, so I am probably playing slowly but eh.

I don't really have much to say aside from this game is fantastic. This + the wonderful 101 demo have done a hell of a lot to make me appreciate my dust collecting wii u.

That's around where I am in terms of day number/progress. My friend just got the blue Pikmin at like day 16 though... so.... yeah, we're slow :p

If I take out 100 Pikmin into the field with me, do I no longer gain anymore from taking dead creatures etc back? I think I read something about that but can't remember for sure.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If I take out 100 Pikmin into the field with me, do I no longer gain anymore from taking dead creatures etc back? I think I read something about that but can't remember for sure.

While you do still get Pikmin, remember that these Pikmin will only be leafs, if you want them to turn into flowers, you will need nectar.

The Twllight River boss is pretty tough! :/ Pikmin massacre!

Did it, it was pretty tough I thought, lost a lot of little fellas :( Feel bad.

Might do a rebuilding day on the River now before continuing.

Top Bottom