• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Coconut

Banned
I want little figurines of all the Pikmin and Captains and some enemies. Can't find anything except plush stuff. It shouldn't be this hard lol

Japan is the capsule toy Capitol of the world. How could they not exist!?

I'm on day 12 I got Charles and have 14 cans of juice, am I doing okay?

Deku Tree

Can I move my Pikmin hoard around with the thumb stick like I could with the GameCube controls? I haven't been able to do that with the WiiU Pad so far...

Semajer

One thing that irritated me even more about the lack of a Piklopedia is that there wasn't even an enemy reel at the end, like Pikmin 1 had. Hopefully they'll add something with the DLC.

Anybody else going for all platinum medals in mission mode? Some of the missions are extremely difficult to perfect, I've noticed that in some missions only about .5% of people on the leaderboards have platinum medals. Thank god Miyamoto at least put some challenge in the game.
Is it possible to platinum all the missions solo?

Yes, I got them all, they weren't too hard. I want more of them with DLC.

zroid

Banned
Whooah
fruit has been nicked!!

never trust a Hocotatian!

Can I move my Pikmin hoard around with the thumb stick like I could with the GameCube controls? I haven't been able to do that with the WiiU Pad so far...

nope, you can't do that anymore. when you think about it, it never made much sense anyway. there are two new mechanics which compensate for it, though. the first is the Charge!! command which is available at the start, and the second is the dodge manouevre which requires the Dodge Whistle. You have to find that one on your own.

never trust a Hocotatian!

nope, you can't do that anymore. when you think about it, it never made much sense anyway. there are two new mechanics which compensate for it, though. the first is the Charge!! command which is available at the start, and the second is the dodge manouevre which requires the Dodge Whistle. You have to find that one on your own.

Where is the whistle? I just got to an area called
Formidable Oak. Considering the Fruit there is 0/0, I am guessing that's the last boss? Don't want it to end, might go searching for some fruit in other areas before going there. Off to the Tropics with my Blue Pikmin I think :)

Where is the whistle? I just got to an area called
Formidable Oak. Considering the Fruit there is 0/0, I am guessing that's the last boss? Don't want it to end, might go searching for some fruit in other areas before going there. Off to the Tropics with my Blue Pikmin I think :)
In Distant Tundra. I can be more specific than that if you want.

I wish it was more conspicuous so more people would find it in the game earlier and therefore use it.

In Distant Tundra. I can be more specific than that if you want.

I wish it was more conspicuous so more people would find it in the game earlier and therefore use it.

I am guessing its in an area away from the story path i.e. You go back later once you have another Pikmin type? Yeah tell us where it is, might as well :)

I am guessing its in an area away from the story path i.e. You go back later once you have another Pikmin type? Yeah tell us where it is, might as well :)

I don't know how to screencap thee Wii U gamepad (or cutscenes or scorecards, not sure how people are doing that) but it's
next to the area where you'll find those lava enemies and the fire-breathing, four-legged dudes. It's on a "second level" above them

GC|Simon

I finished the game minutes ago. My results:

pikmin3_082ibxv.jpg

Edit: Lol, clicked "Submit" instead of "Preview". The game is great. The last area and the final boss are also very well designed: you need to use everything you have learned throughout the game. However, I agree with Dax01: I don't like beeing under pressure within games. I needed a couple of days to complete the labyrinth. On my way to the final battle I lost nearly all my Pikmin once. Nevertheless, it was a worth last area with a worth last fight.

More thoughts on the game itself coming probably later. What I can say for now: If you don't own the game already get it asap. It's great.

It's awesome seeing loads of people completing the game (either 100% or just a regular finish), its such a lovely game and beautifully made. You can almost forgive Nintendo for the ridiculous delay this game suffered. Once W101, Wind Waker, Mario, and DK are out the Wii U will have some truly ass kicking games behind it.

Also, I fucking LOVE Off-TV, its such a cool idea. In the evenings I've been playing on it whilst my wife watches TV, and now I am using it because the sun is shinning on the TV screen so huddled up on the sofa with it. Aces.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't know how to screencap thee Wii U gamepad (or cutscenes or scorecards, not sure how people are doing that)...

When you press home and open Miiverse to make a post, there should be the option to cycle through the image currently on the gamepad and TV and post one. I think a face button on the gamepad cycles pics.

Folks are then grabbing the images from their posts from the Miiverse website.

GC|Simon

My thoughts on Pikmin 3:

Nintendo released the first Pikmin game nearly twelve years ago for the GameCube. Back then, the game showed that real time strategy games are possible on consoles. Unfortunately the game was quite short. Roughly three years later Nintendo released Pikmin 2 which introduced two new Pikmin types. Well received by press and players, there was no sequel for almost a decade. However, the development of Pikmin 3 was confirmed to be in development for Wii at E3 2008 in Nintendo's developer roundtable (thanks to the fellow GAFer who asked Miyamoto the right question and saved E3, lol). Unfortunately, the development seemed to be super slow. The game was moved from Wii to its successor Wii U. Planned to be one of the launch-window games Nintendo had trouble with developing AAA HD games which resulted in further delays.

Just a very few weeks back, the waiting time was finally over: Pikmin 3 was released for Nintendo's Wii U. The wait was well worth the time because Nintendo delivered big time. I have rarely seen a game as polished as Pikmin 3. The game is great from the title screen to credits. Let me start with the controls: I played the game with a Wiimote and a Nunchuck which felt perfect and extremely precise. However, there is also the option to play with the GamePad which also works well according to other players. You can play off-screen with both, the GamePad and Wiimote & Nunchuck. If you are not playing off-screen there is a map on the GamePad's screen which is extremely useful for scouting fruits and treasures as well as giving orders to one of your three crew members which really enables multi-tasking. With all those well-working options, there is more or less nothing to complain about regarding controls.

The gameplay itself is known from previous the Pikmin games: You control up to five different types of little Pikmin which will help you to achieve your goal: solving puzzles and collecting fruits, upgrades and other things. Beside the red (resistant against fire), blue (resistant against water) and yellow (resistant against electricity) Pikmin types there are two new types of Pikmin: pink (flying) and rock (can smash glass). Those new types work very well and feel more unique than Pikmin 2's white (fast) and purple (strong) Pikmins. In order to achieve your goals, you need to use the right Pikmin type in the right situation. You will not just fight lightly dangerous creatures like giant beetles, you will also face huge bosses which are very well designed, requiring a unique strategy.

The gameplay itself is very rewarding and addictive. The sound as well as the graphics add to this. The game is stunningly beautiful right from the beginning until the very last second. There are five different areas which offer tons of variety (ice, caves, desserts, tropical surroundings, water, etc.). There is the option to take photos with the GamePad which is almost like a game in a game. I found myself playing around with this function quite a lot because the game is so beautiful. There are also plenty of great effects like rain and water effects as well as great lightning and a fantastic depth-of-field effect.

I almost never finish games with collecting everything. In Pikmin 3, I actually collected each and every fruit because it is just so addictive and fun. Even hours into the game I was still discovering new things like great puzzles and huge creatures. Even now, after finishing the game's story with 100% after almost 15 hours there is still a mission and a two player multiplayer mode left to be discovered.

All those elements make Pikmin 3 a near-to-perfect adventure which is - in my opinion - a absolute must-have for the Wii U. Now go and buy the game, you will love it.

Please find below some screenshots I took throughout my playthrough of the campaign:

I wrote this for my Twitter account.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I finished the game minutes ago. My results:

pikmin3_082ibxv.jpg

Man I don't get this stuff. 7:23 completion time but with 50 days? Here's mine:

zlCfzRFUWoU4Ij1LqJ

How can you have MORE days than me, but so much lower of a completion time? The math doesn't add up!!! Unless you were like early-ending your days all over the place?

Jackano

Man I don't get this stuff. 7:23 completion time but with 50 days? Here's mine:

zlCfzRFUWoU4Ij1LqJ

How can you have MORE days than me, but so much lower of a completion time? The math doesn't add up!!! Unless you were like early-ending your days all over the place?

I'm starting to think this not a completion time at all.
But the in-game hour and minute when you ended the game by beating the last boss.
At the beginning of the game, the first day, you can see they says something like "Day 1, 08:45, Alph" then "Day 1, 09:20, Brittany". I think it's the same for the result screen.

It doesn't read "Completed at day 50 in 20 hours and 14 minutes", but "Completed at day 50, 20h14". That's my theory when I ended my second run yesterday, I first finished it and it said 10:16 or something, then I messed up with Miiverse and decided to beat the boss again to post the final screen on miiverse; I wasn't as efficient and ended it at 10:45. It wasn't the real time in the real world either but the ingame clock wasn't 12h00 yet.

Edit: In any case, I'm not sure this has been debated earlier in this thread, but I think this could be one of the GAF darkest day when realising we needed 67 pages to figure that out lol :D

burgerdog

Can I keep playing after beating the game? Or when will I know the game is near its end so I could focus on finding all the fruits.

Can I keep playing after beating the game? Or when will I know the game is near its end so I could focus on finding all the fruits.

The last area has 0/0 fruits, that's when you'll know.

But if you do finish the game, you can always load your last day and replay another zone instead, and continue your search.

Fandangox

When I first played the game I couldn't see through the TV, and only throught the gameplay, while I was figuring out how to make the game Gamepad-only I think I might have messed with some of the features like Global rankings, cause I can't see it anywhere. Or is it supposed to be like that.

Also if I want to start clean slate campaign is there a way to do it without having to delete the whole game progress (Missions, and Bingo)?

shauntu

The completion screen shows when, in game time, you finished. So, which day and what time on that day. The days start at 6 am. If you completed right as the day started, it will say Day x, 6:00 hours.

Yeah its also in military time.

If you have doubts, restart the day you completed, wait till near sunset, then complete it. Suddenly you have many more hours added on your time.

So many reviewers reported this time as their completion time. They have no idea what they are doing either.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm starting to think this not a completion time at all.
But the in-game hour and minute when you ended the game by beating the last boss.
At the beginning of the game, the first day, you can see they says something like "Day 1, 08:45, Alph" then "Day 1, 09:20, Brittany". I think it's the same for the result screen.

It doesn't read "Completed at day 50 in 20 hours and 14 minutes", but "Completed at day 50, 20h14". That's my theory when I ended my second run yesterday, I first finished it and it said 10:16 or something, then I messed up with Miiverse and decided to beat the boss again to post the final screen on miiverse; I wasn't as efficient and ended it at 10:45. It wasn't the real time in the real world either but the ingame clock wasn't 12h00 yet.

Edit: In any case, I'm not sure this has been debated earlier in this thread, but I think this could be one of the GAF darkest day when realising we needed 67 pages to figure that out lol :D

The completion screen shows when, in game time, you finished. So, which day and what time on that day. The days start at 6 am. If you completed right as the day started, it will say Day x, 6:00 hours.

Yeah its also in military time.

If you have doubts, restart the day you completed, wait till near sunset, then complete it. Suddenly you have many more hours added on your time.

So many reviewers reported this time as their completion time. They have no idea what they are doing either.

:O

Wild, dudes. Pretty bizarre number to put up there so prominently if it's indeed the in-game time of day. Not sure it really matters much even if it's the real-world time of day. Why put it on there! Put the DATE or something. I guess reading the text "Clear time" it makes sense, "the day and time you cleared," but it'd be so easy to read as Cumulative Time.

WEIRD

Just started playing yesterday. On Day 5 and it seems the days go by so fast. I barely have time to do what needed to be done. Im always struggling to get all my Pikmin back to the ship in time.

Yuterald

This feels like the easiest Pikmin game to do a zero-death run in. I've now got access to all areas and all Pikmin types and I'm still rocking a zero-death game. I had to retry a few days due to some mistakes on my end, but not nearly as many times as I found myself doing this in Pikmin 2. Game's a lot more balanced and all of the bosses are quite easy to take out without sacrificing Pikmin. Keep hearing the final area/boss is crazy and people get annihilated there. We'll see!

Coconut

Banned
Just started playing yesterday. On Day 5 and it seems the days go by so fast. I barely have time to do what needed to be done. Im always struggling to get all my Pikmin back to the ship in time.

Is this the first Pikmin game you've played? Also just have the pikmin with the captains will keep them safe.

braves01

Banned
Restarted for my second playthrough, and to get all the secret memos this time. I'm still really impressed with how good it looks.

daakusedo

zlCfzRFZ1c8079415x

The last zone setting bring something new to the serie style as different zones already throughout the game, I think the sand boss vista is the first in the serie to show the horizon and you really get a grasp of what's going on this planet so to speak nothing.
So coming to the last level, it get really strange with that little story created for this gameplay section, I wonder what this boss is for the developpers, seems close to the waterwraith family, human, objet, animal? And to add to this weird ending, L. is just so suspicious, I think O. kinda talk about that in the memos.
So now back to fruits.

zlCfzRFTY64XjSUlIs

I got this earlier this week, and I cannot stop playing. It's super charming, and the presentation is surprisingly good.

This is my favorite of the series; probably less ambitious than 2, but much more streamlined. Few games for me have that Civiliation-esque unending urge for "just one more turn..." but this totally hits that.

Top Bottom