• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Timeaisis

Question about the ending sequence (SPOILERS I GUESS)

Is the final sequence a montage leading up to when the Drake crashed? You see something fall towards the planet and the pikmin rushing towards it. Didn't really notice it until I beat it again. Maybe it's hinting at a fourth game! I really really love the ending though. The music is so good.

I thought the same thing, actually. Also, if you get the best ending the ending narration says
Maybe the Drake crashing wasn't an accident.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Aaand done!

lmkuh.jpg

What's the deal with file clear time reading differently to file time?

You MONSTER! How do you lose 876 Pikmin?

ASIS

What are you apologizing for? And what's with the overly serious response? I didn't think of all those factors. At least it gives you a rough estimate.

Y U so defensive? :p

LOL it's just the way I write, don't take it too seriously (and if you got a serious tone from my post, rest assured that was completely unintentional).

I actually thought you got the answer for it... Then I over analyzed it.. But yes it does give a rough estimate.

I thought the same thing, actually. Also, if you get the best ending the ending narration says

Hmmmmmmmm?

Another interesting bit

if you check the log for the last day it says Louie is not in the ship with them, he's probably still on the planet. WTF is up with that character?!!

Mik_Pad

Banned
can someone explain to me what i'm looking at? I don't understand these leaderboards.
The higher the bar the more concentration of people with similar score, the best scores are the ones closer to the far right. Basically the graph shows were the average is and if you are below or above the average. In this case the score is way above the average so it is a great score.

I don't get this concern for Pikmin. My buddy came over yesterday and I was playing and I'd leave a few Pikmin behind sometimes, and he was like, "that end of day animatic is sad." To me Pikmin are just carrots with legs, and I don't give a fuck. Ill toss a billion of them at a giant snake stork if it means I get a cantaloupe. Once they start doing long division then I'll show them some regard.

Won't you think of the children! :(

Drago

Finally got the game in the mail yesterday.

I am in love with everything about this game. It was worth the WiiU purchase. <3

jmls1121

Banned
So I got my non-gamer wife's help for the missions, and now she is completely addicted. Texting me at work about pikmin, talking inceesantly about pikmin, etc.

dat local co-op Nintendo business strategy.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Hmmmmmmmm?

Alph states that in the beginning of the game too. What if the Pikmin are the masterminds behind the crashes? What if the astronauts are in reality doing their bidding as slaves for the purposes of propagating the species?

This game. This universe lol.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Alph states that in the beginning of the game too. What if the Pikmin are the masterminds behind the crashes? What if the astronauts are in reality doing their bidding as slaves for the purposes of propagating the species?

I thought something similar specially after the ending scene were the pikmin see another object crashing into the planet surface and they run towards it like the start of a new cycle

ASIS

I thought something similar specially after the ending scene were the pikmin see another object crashing into the planet surface and they run towards it like the start of a new cycle

Do you guys have any theories about the wraiths? what are they?

18 fruit left to retrieve and I don't want it to end. Just have Twilight River and Tropical Wilds (as well as the final area) left to complete.

The
Quaggled Mireclops
was the first boss that did any substantial damage to my Pikmin troops (lost around 30, that damn
tongue
). Just broke triple digits with Pikmin lost, saddened by every one.

Have finally gotten good with using all three captains and the 'Go Here' command on the GamePad to maximize efficiency. Really like the GamePad integration, even though I am playing with Wiimote/Nunchuck.

A splendid game, the finest in the series by a wide margin. There is just something about the flow of the game that feels better, can't quite explain it.

zroid

Banned
The
Quaggled Mireclops
was the first boss that did any substantial damage to my Pikmin troops (lost around 30, that damn
tongue

I know the feeling. It was a blue pikmin slaughter. I restarted once but after losing just as many the second time I said f it. Sad, though. :(

I know the feeling. It was a blue pikmin slaughter. I restarted once but after losing just as many the second time I said f it. Sad, though. :(

I restarted a few times because of more substantial losses but decided that around 30 would have to do. I could never quite figure out the timing of the tongue and would sometimes accidentally dismiss my troops when I was trying to have them swarm the weak spot, as I guess I wasn't close enough or something.

Pretty epic battle, regardless.

popeutlal

With these stats, the Pikmin better rethink their strategy.

IMG_20130813_201701.jpg

Yuterald

Ugh, that Garden of Hope boss is pretty rough to no-death. I've got it down to just losing one or two near the end due to some weird mistakes (that fucking tongue too). The boss there is INCREDIBLE though, easily my favorite in the game.

Coconut

Banned
Dude, this final boss is busting my balls a bit.

Yuter, when its tongue starts to do two sweeps... And you don't expect it, it's heart breaking.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Played some more yesterday night, I encountered the third boss
sand worn
and I almost switched to the wiimote but after a couple of tries I finally beat him without even losing a single pikmin so yay for the gamepad. After that I found the
flying pikmin, and these guys are fucking cute
. What a great piece of game design. Yup, Miyamoto still got it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
With these stats, the Pikmin better rethink their strategy.

IMG_20130813_201701.jpg

Still better for the survival of the species overall, especially if the onion is a sort of queen and the pikmin are just workers. There was a subtle hint that the Blue pikmin were near extinction without outside intervention.

Yagharek

I've started playing Pikmin 2 for the first time. After finishing Pikmin 3.

I just note in the intro that (character spoiler in Pikmin 3)
Louie
(Pikmin 3 context spoiler)
was in charge of a flight where all these golden pikpik carrots were stolen and eaten. I'm guessing Louie ate them all. Sending the company broke.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, this final boss is busting my balls a bit.

Yuter, when its tongue starts to do two sweeps... And you don't expect it, it's heart breaking.

:) At least you're ALMOST done, take comfort in that

zoukka

Man the game was short. Very sweet though, but I feel more levels could've been made when they had this great engine to work with... Considering how long this game was in development I was really shocked when I realised I was fighting the last level...

Will pay for DLC.

18 fruit left to retrieve and I don't want it to end. Just have Twilight River and Tropical Wilds (as well as the final area) left to complete.

The
Quaggled Mireclops
tongue

Have finally gotten good with using all three captains and the 'Go Here' command on the GamePad to maximize efficiency. Really like the GamePad integration, even though I am playing with Wiimote/Nunchuck.

A splendid game, the finest in the series by a wide margin. There is just something about the flow of the game that feels better, can't quite explain it.

The secret to this fight is to not use blues at all but rather
use flying Pikmin instead. You can get them out of water pretty easy and if you aim them right you can stay a good distance back and they'll attack well above where the tongue comes out. With some clever timing should be able to 0 death it if you're willing to spread across a couple days.

If anybody has a good strategy for doing a no/low death run on the end boss I'd be interested in hearing it.

I haven't played the missions co-op yet. My wife hasn't played it yet, but I really want to play co-op. Would it be completely confusing to hand her the gamepad and be like "here, we need a platinum"?

That's basically what happened with us. My fiance saw me playing it, thought it was adorable, asked if there was multiplayer, boom.

She's very competitive, so that while she was confused with the controls at first having never played before, once we got a bronze medal she was like, aww hell no. Now she's playing through the single player and is at the last boss (I only just beat the third boss for comparison).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally finished with all fruit. Went collecting fruit before going to the final area. Once you've unlocked all the different pikmin types the earlier areas rack up the fruit really fast.

Final boss took me a few days to slowly open things up. Final fight was annoying, with the camera really letting me down again. Lost a ton of pikmin but don't think I want to redo that day, was just too annoying. Shame to end on a relative low but overall e game was fantastic.

Will spend time on the mission mode now,but mostly in coop - I don't really like managing two teams at once - in the main game I can't trust an enemy hasn't respawned so although I send guys around the map I keep an eye on them individually. Mission mode almost needs two of you working simultaneously to get the higher medals (or do you get a more lenient time limit in single player?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Weird ending theory

the ending talks about 'what caused the drake to crash - maybe it wasn't an accident'. And then you see the end credits with another ship? Crashinas the pikmin look on. Maybe it's like LOST and the pikmin are deliberately crashing ships so that the 'aliens' breed more pikmin for them?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's just a matter of strategy. For example, the brutal picking attack is useless against rock pikmin. They won't die from that. It may be hard but not impossible.

Trouble with that is I lose pikmin from that attack not when I'm attacking it, just from when it chases after me. So it attacks my whole group

I can take as I want in this game right?

I would search the thread for this question but it would take awhile.

As long as you want?
No. The point of the game is to collect fruit for your home planet, but you consume 1 juice a day yourself. You always have to have juice supply. But it is plenty. The game gives you supply for 99 days and most people finished it 100% within ~40 days

zroid

Banned
Really there is so much fruit in the game that you can think of it as not having a time limit. However, the restriction is you must collect enough fruit to stay alive.

Top Bottom