• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The co-op missions are godly. The amount of synchronization that you need to get platinum and the amount of joy that hits you once you get that platinum together is wonderful. In absence of the co-op in the story I played it together with my girlfriend by playing one day each.

kubus

The co-op missions are godly. The amount of synchronization that you need to get platinum and the amount of joy that hits you once you get that platinum together is wonderful. In absence of the co-op in the story I played it together with my girlfriend by playing one day each.
This, so much this.

I never would've thought that Pikmin 3 would be my favourite co-op game. Can't wait till my boyfriend gets home from work so we can tackle the next stage :D

Tom_Cody

What amazes me is that Miyamoto and Co. Were able to actually keep engaging gameplay in their first full scale HD game. Other developers have been on the HD twins for 7 years, and their games are still riddles with shortcuts like QTEs and corridor level design.

What an amazing game.
That's not even what I mean. I meant more that I was impressed with what they were able to do with the additional pixels. Lots of the various creatures have hair/fur/fuzz that reads in HD but wouldn't really work with SD. To say it in another way, I have never felt like I have gotten my money's worth out of those extra pixels more than with this title.

daakusedo

When I finished the story mode, I immediatly remembered that 10 days speedrun and thought of how it would handle the last mission. So I don't know well the trick but he got flying pikmins go over the mall bag and skip a complete bridge building in the last part. But his fight with the last boss is a carnage, I think there's room for other speedruns to improve that part. Still one day to do it when I got 3 days I think, constantly pathfinding, it's impressive.

I'll echo what many have said about the challenge mode being very fun and rewarding. I did it all solo though. Since I was just interested in new content, I didn't bother with the boss battles since I faced them in the story mode. It took me 10 hours total to platinum each of the fruit and enemy missions, so on average each took an hour.

For story mode, I used the wiimote and nunchuck combo, and from time to time would use the gamepad to multitask. But to platinum these challenges, constantly assigning tasks on the gamepad was absolutely necessary. It all turned out to be great fun and very rewarding when you finally pulled it off with mere seconds to spare.

Fandangox

It took two and a half days for me to beat the sandworm boss. Fucking hell.

That was the easiest boss for me, not a single Pikmin lost.

I recommend to just bring a fairly big army of red and keep your distance after you attack for a bit. Use the spicy berries if you want to finish him off quickly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
There's definitely a lot of charm to this game. I just started playing it this morning and my initial reaction is that the graphics are surprisingly nice. I haven't touched my Wii U since Christmas and I forgot how nice Nintendo's games look in HD. Whatever delay it had for them to get over their HD learning curve was worth it imo. I also haven't played a Pikmin game in years and it's bringing back a lot of fond memories of the GC. To this day, it remains one of my favorite Nintendo systems along with the SNES. Maybe there's hope for Wii U yet.

My biggest complaint though is the gamepad integration. Anyone else find it more of a pain than a help? Playing in off-screen mode is my preferred method due to it enabling everything to be on one screen, but this is one of those rare cases where I'd actually prefer to use the Wii remote and nun-chuck. It's baffling that you aren't able to use the map or communicate with your team mates without using the gamepad. Aside from off-screen play, the feature seems pretty useless and disappointing imo.

Appleman

There's definitely a lot of charm to this game. I just started playing it this morning and my initial reaction is that the graphics are surprisingly nice. I haven't touched my Wii U since Christmas and I forgot how nice Nintendo's games look in HD. Whatever delay it had for them to get over their HD learning curve was worth it imo. I also haven't played a Pikmin game in years and it's bringing back a lot of fond memories of the GC. To this day, it remains one of my favorite Nintendo systems along with the SNES. Maybe there's hope for Wii U yet.

My biggest complaint though is the gamepad integration. Anyone else find it more of a pain than a help? Playing in off-screen mode is my preferred method due to it enabling everything to be on one screen, but this is one of those rare cases where I'd actually prefer to use the Wii remote and nun-chuck. It's baffling that you aren't able to use the map or communicate with your team mates without using the gamepad. Aside from off-screen play, the feature seems pretty useless and disappointing imo.

I'm in day 22 and I really, really dig the level of involvement I get from playing with the Wii Remote but using the Gamepad as a map and to send groups on different missions.

God this game looks so nice though

zroid

Banned
It can be frustrating, because not everyone is able to play their games in a setup conducive to mounting the GamePad on its cradle within both eye's and hand's reach, without making you look too far from the TV. Luckily, I was able to find a convenient arrangement. If you can pull it off, it works marvelously well.

DrWong

It can be frustrating, because not everyone is able to play their games in a setup conducive to mounting the GamePad on its cradle within both eye's and hand's reach, without making you look too far from the TV. Luckily, I was able to find a convenient arrangement. If you can pull it off, it works marvelously well.

Same for me.

Fake Edit: and mindblown by the "unpause tips" on the gamepad map. My son (and gaming partner) will be happy.

Pomegranate

Neo Member
zlCfzRFftgkKmkOQlW

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADOUgHqD4WYLg
zlCfzRFghWIYY3Tl4B

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnWPiUjuA

I'm having too much fun in the Miiverse community.

I was gonna post this last night but they would probably ban me for it:
BReijJcCIAAcps3.jpg

Himself

I was gonna post this last night but they would probably ban me for it:
BReijJcCIAAcps3.jpg

I've gotten away with some not so subtle references to taboo stuff. Cool drawing, anyway!

This game is glorious! I've collected about half the fruit so far and I am so happy I haven't run into a single randomly generated cave yet. Thank you, Nintendo.

So it looks like P3>P1>P2 and I'm a happy camper.

Hero

Did anyone else have difficulty getting Pikmin 3 to play? I'm on the latest firmware, tried playing the game, got an update for it, downloaded/installed then the game stays on the circular image of the Pikmin 3 with the black around it and the music plays but the game never gets to the title screen. Can't even hit the home button.

Tried deleting the P3 update data and redownload and it still is happening.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did anyone else have difficulty getting Pikmin 3 to play? I'm on the latest firmware, tried playing the game, got an update for it, downloaded/installed then the game stays on the circular image of the Pikmin 3 with the black around it and the music plays but the game never gets to the title screen. Can't even hit the home button.

Tried deleting the P3 update data and redownload and it still is happening.

Do you have an external HDD? Maybe try install/move it on the internal drive.

ASIS

Finally beat the game 100% Took 31 days, so I'm going to replay it soon to improve that count.

My god this game is outstanding, I still need to finish TLOU but so far, Pikmin 3 is my GOTY. It was just an amazing experience through and through.

Hylian7

So...fuck the lilypads on Twilight River. I had all my Pikmin in tow, leaped across, and then they all stayed back for some stupid reason. I accidentally called them, and they went RIGHT INTO THE FUCKING WATER.

I slamed my thumb on that power button so fast. Fuck. That.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So...fuck the lilypads on Twilight River. I had all my Pikmin in tow, leaped across, and then they all stayed back for some stupid reason. I accidentally called them, and they went RIGHT INTO THE FUCKING WATER.

One thing I did a few times was toss a leader across a pit, then toss a bunch of pikmin to them, and instead of hitting minus to switch to them and call the pikmin, I just called the pikmin. With my first leader. So the pikmin all just run into the pit.

"Ha ha ha."

popeutlal

Can't believe I played this game for 20 hours! That was an incredible experience....I can't praise it enough. Pretty close to a perfect game you can get. The visuals, the music, the level design, the boss battles...everything was spot on.

The nature setting was amazing, I don't believe I've ever played or seen a game like this before.

I can't help but think if EA had made a similar game, it would probably had taken place in a sterile space setting with dude bro chatter and instead of throwing Pikmin, you'd be shooting things with laser mounted guns.

zroid

Banned
but they're flying pikmin. they supposed to FLY!
when carrying the berries or fruit or whatever they shouldn't have to wait for a lily pad.

oh, that's what you meant

wait a sec, are you sure they do that? I'm almost positive they flew right across the river while ferrying some grapes or whatever to the Drake.

HoJu

wait a sec, are you sure they do that? I'm almost positive they flew right across the river while ferrying some grapes or whatever to the Drake.

i'll double check about the grapes, but i'm positive that they wait when carrying berries.

zroid

Banned
Hmmm, maybe it's a case of the pathfinding being a little weird. Like, if the nearest "ground" path is closer than the straight line path across the river, they might veer towards the lilypads. I'll have to go back there and look into it.

Yeah, the pikmin AI was atrocious at times. You would think after 5+ years of development it would have been better. One thing that annoyed me was that when i would throw a single rock pikmin at an enemy and kill them, it wouldn't automatically go in to carry it back to the onion. Every other pikmin type would automatically do this, but 95% of the time the rock pikmin would not. Also, when you whistle for the pikmin, they will always just go straight at you without any concern for themselves, whether it be through water or fire, or even into a wall because you are up on a ledge and they are to stupid to walk around and up a hill to get to you. I know it was this way in Pikmin 2 but I was really hoping they would at least improve it somewhat.

HoJu

. One thing that annoyed me was that when i would throw a single rock pikmin at an enemy and kill them, it wouldn't automatically go in to carry it back to the onion. Every other pikmin type would automatically do this, but 95% of the time the rock pikmin would not.
might be because the rock pikmin roll a bit after being thrown. they might just be too far from the enemy.

I remember this the same way. I don't think the pink pikmin waited for the lily pads when I told them to bring things back to the onion or the Drake.

HoJu

I remember this the same way. I don't think the pink pikmin waited for the lily pads when I told them to bring things back to the onion or the Drake.

just checked. when carrying the berries closest to the Onion in Twilight River they travelled by the lily pads. the flew over everything when carrying the grapes, though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One thing that annoyed me was that when i would throw a single rock pikmin at an enemy and kill them, it wouldn't automatically go in to carry it back to the onion. Every other pikmin type would automatically do this, but 95% of the time the rock pikmin would not.

I think this is on purpose. The rock pikmins are stronger and less vulnerable than the others, so they must have some weak points to compensate. Every pikmin type has strong points and weaknesses.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just beat it. I loved the final boss fight.
The level, the entire sequence, plus the actual fight
Just a well thought out, frantic, fun, and brutal fight.

I was lukewarm and a bit frustrated in the beginning, but the game won me over in the second half. Need some time to digest and figure if this is better than Pikmin 2.

ciD_Vain

I'm having so much fun with this game. The art style is gorgeous! I just love how the onion changes colors. I could stare at it all day!

zlCfzRFjTl4TEW_DHE

Man the characters are great! I thought I would be really bothered by the absence of Olimar, but the characters are really likable and subtley funny, especially Brittany.

Having a blast so far...and its very beautiful too.

Sendou

Just finished it. Took me about 14 hours 30 minutes. I guess my stats show some signs of me as a Pikmin novice:

u14Og6e.jpg

Yeah could have gone better. I'm probably now going to try some missions and then maybe another playthrough with less perished Pikmins.

ASIS

Yeah, the pikmin AI was atrocious at times. You would think after 5+ years of development it would have been better. One thing that annoyed me was that when i would throw a single rock pikmin at an enemy and kill them, it wouldn't automatically go in to carry it back to the onion. Every other pikmin type would automatically do this, but 95% of the time the rock pikmin would not. Also, when you whistle for the pikmin, they will always just go straight at you without any concern for themselves, whether it be through water or fire, or even into a wall because you are up on a ledge and they are to stupid to walk around and up a hill to get to you. I know it was this way in Pikmin 2 but I was really hoping they would at least improve it somewhat.
Pikmin are supposed to be dumb though, at least that's what I inferred from the interview with Miyamoto.

TheBear

I don't understand how the all out attack works. I press ZL and hit the dismiss button, but they don't do anything. Am I doing it right?

Calamari41

41 > 38
This game's design is so incredibly dense. It feels like classic Nintendo where every single element is placed just so. However, this has the added element of exploration where you want to know what is down that path or under that shrouded area on your map. Unless there is a triforce hunt style drop off at the end of this it's surely one of EAD's greatest titles to date.

This post reminded me of Miyamoto recently saying that this is his best game ever. While it certainly isn't when you consider his games relative to the time they were released, I have to say that looking at his catalog as a whole judged in the year 2013, this actually might be his best. The only thing that brings it below some of his others is the length. If there were two more levels, I don't think it would be a contest. I have enjoyed every millisecond of this game (just collecting the last few pieces of fruit before tackling the last level)

Man the characters are great! I thought I would be really bothered by the absence of Olimar, but the characters are really likable and subtley funny, especially Brittany.

I was very disappointed when I realized that there would be no Olimar playable (I was on media blackout), but this trio is way way better. They all have so much character.

Top Bottom