• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

zroid

Banned
I liked some of the dungeons. They established an opportunity to really get creative with the environments, deviating dramatically at times from the natural themes of the surface-world.

Overall though, yeah, I have to agree about the slow and repetitive drudgery.

HoJu

Well...

I finally did it.

zlCfzRFeRE8Qz8TuHz

Next up: Enemies and Bosses.
Nice. How long did it take you?

kubus

Nice, I really wished this had online coop.
I don't think online co-op would work without proper communication. To get the platinum medals you need to communicate non-stop and after each try we would spent around 5 minutes looking at the map, pointing at stuff, and working out tactics. Something like that just wouldn't work with random strangers who might not have a headset and/or the patience for that.

Nice. How long did it take you?
Well I finished the singleplayer in 15 hours and after getting the last Platinum my activity log was at 25 hours. So ehh probably around 10 hours.

Just like some days in the stock market are for profit-taking, some days in Pikmin are for fruit-taking. Really satisfying after spending a few days finding a ton of fruit and finally building a bridge back to the ship.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I don't think online co-op would work without proper communication. To get the platinum medals you need to communicate non-stop and after each try we would spent around 5 minutes looking at the map, pointing at stuff, and working out tactics. Something like that just wouldn't work with random strangers who might not have a headset and/or the patience for that.

Well I finished the singleplayer in 15 hours and after getting the last Platinum my activity log was at 25 hours. So ehh probably around 10 hours.
I would love online to play with a friend with voice chat and full screen goodness, Nintendo needs to move forward with these imo.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm day 4 and I think trying to finish the game without losing a single Pikmin is going to break me. The first boss took me like 10 tries. I just hate the thought of losing one of the little guys. Is this normal? Anyone else playing it like this?

ASIS

This post reminded me of Miyamoto recently saying that this is his best game ever. While it certainly isn't when you consider his games relative to the time they were released, I have to say that looking at his catalog as a whole judged in the year 2013, this actually might be his best. The only thing that brings it below some of his others is the length. If there were two more levels, I don't think it would be a contest. I have enjoyed every millisecond of this game (just collecting the last few pieces of fruit before tackling the last level)

I was very disappointed when I realized that there would be no Olimar playable (I was on media blackout), but this trio is way way better. They all have so much character.
He said it was one of this best games, not his absolute best. And although I agree, the game could have used more content, this is probably the first time where Miyamoto has DLC at his will, so we'll see. Pikmin 3 is not over yet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aaand done!

lmkuh.jpg

What's the deal with file clear time reading differently to file time?

I'm day 4 and I think trying to finish the game without losing a single Pikmin is going to break me. The first boss took me like 10 tries. I just hate the thought of losing one of the little guys. Is this normal? Anyone else playing it like this?

I stopped treating the series like Fire Emblem back in the first few hours of the first game. It's a self-imposed challenge that I just don't find to be worth it. I just like to think that they're always getting reincarnated when bringing stuff that ate them back to the onion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hmm. I guess that's a reasonable guess, but why would they choose to do it like that?

No clue, lol. It's weird.

My best guess is competition down to the last second, since beating the final boss is the one bit of the game where it comes to a hard stop when you finish even if the day isn't up.

I suppose they figure that ending days early on purpose shouldn't count towards a leaderboard time as there's no practical reason to do so (is there?). If you're going for as few days as possible you'd be hauling fruit right up until the timer hits 0 on a given day.

Aaand done!

lmkuh.jpg

It appears that EatChildren and jetjevons have different feelings when it comes to trying to keep Pikmin alive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In-game time of day makes sense, for the reasons Kai Dracon stated. You've got your final day, and the time of day the game ended. Someone might have 48 days, 13:59 and it would be a faster completion time than mine.

It appears that EatChildren and jetjevons have different feelings when it comes to trying to keep Pikmin alive.

For most of the game I did really well. I do try to keep them alive, but I'm not anal about it. The last stage and boss really would have contributed to a significant portion of those losses. Really, really significant.

Other losses were general fuck-ups here and there, usually on bosses.

Timeaisis

In-game time of day makes sense, for the reasons Kai Dracon stated. You've got your final day, and the time of day the game ended. Someone might have 48 days, 13:59 and it would be a faster completion time than mine.

For most of the game I did really well. I do try to keep them alive, but I'm not anal about it. The last stage and boss really would have contributed to a significant portion of those losses. Really, really significant.

Other losses were general fuck-ups here and there, usually on bosses.

That last boss was brutal. Om nom nom nom nom.

Aaand done!

lmkuh.jpg

It just occurred to me that it's very easy to calculate you playtime. Just multiply the number of days you have completed by twenty, then divide the product by sixty.

I feel dumb for not realizing this earlier.

ASIS

It just occurred to me that it's very easy to calculate you playtime. Just multiply the number of days you have completed by twenty, then divide the product by sixty.

Sorry, but no. Your formula does not include repeated days or days that ended earlier. Let alone the fact that the days are not 20 minutes to begin with. Furthermore, any pauses between days or even in them (when scanning with the gamepad) is completely unaccounted for.

It's a nice start, but it will almost surely not give you accurate playtime.

EDIT: Also, EC please explain those Pikmin numbers.

Halfway through my second play through, all my complaints still hold true, but in true Pikmin style the second run is much more satisfying.

Still can't tear myself away from the missions though.

zroid

Banned

That wouldn't account for my (many!) repeated days, however!

Tokieda

zlCfzRFoKj0ErobEk7

My first go. No retries, or those Pikmin numbers would have been a lot better (made quite a few mistakes along the way), but I didn't exactly chill. I look forward to playing it again to cut down on my time :)

And I'll add the timer has to be 'time of day when you finish the game'. My WiiU tells me I've been playing Pikmin for 16 hours, and I figure 12-13 or so for the story mode.

Coconut

Banned
I don't get this concern for Pikmin. My buddy came over yesterday and I was playing and I'd leave a few Pikmin behind sometimes, and he was like, "that end of day animatic is sad." To me Pikmin are just carrots with legs, and I don't give a fuck. Ill toss a billion of them at a giant snake stork if it means I get a cantaloupe. Once they start doing long division then I'll show them some regard.

zroid

Banned
I don't get this concern for Pikmin. My buddy came over yesterday and I was playing and I'd leave line a few Pikmin behind sometimes, and he was like, "that end of day animatic is sad." To me Pikmin are just carrots with legs, and I don't give a fuck. Ill toss a billion of them at a giant snake stork if it means I get a cantaloupe. Once they start doing long division then I'll show them some regard.

you monster

I don't get this concern for Pikmin. My buddy came over yesterday and I was playing and I'd leave line a few Pikmin behind sometimes, and he was like, "that end of day animatic is sad." To me Pikmin are just carrots with legs, and I don't give a fuck. Ill toss a billion of them at a giant snake stork if it means I get a cantaloupe. Once they start doing long division then I'll show them some regard.

lol

it's kinda true, but i feel like i've failed if i lost 20 on a boss or something. there's no sadness associated with it, more of a disappointed feeling that i f'd up

Coconut

Banned
lol

it's kinda true, but i feel like i've failed if i lost 20 on a boss or something. there's no sadness associated with it, more of a disappointed feeling that i f'd up

I don't like losing them, it means I have devote a portion of the day recouping a loss, but certainly shed no tears for them.

Dr.Hadji

I don't get this concern for Pikmin. My buddy came over yesterday and I was playing and I'd leave a few Pikmin behind sometimes, and he was like, "that end of day animatic is sad." To me Pikmin are just carrots with legs, and I don't give a fuck. Ill toss a billion of them at a giant snake stork if it means I get a cantaloupe. Once they start doing long division then I'll show them some regard.

You see, this is why children must resemble their parents. Otherwise the male just might think them no better than vegetables and consume them whole.

Pitmonkey

First run not the best, but I lost a ton in the last level. I went into it with only 180 lost :-( - brilliant game, one of my top three this year without a doubt.

TwItNKC.jpg

Tokieda

So I just started replaying on day 2 - and it's really fun to try and do as much in a day as possible. I have a question for you guys though... Has anyone gotten the rock pikmin AND killed the
centipede
in one day? I managed to kill it after 4 tries but the fruit didn't get to the spaceship in time, so I didn't save any time anyway... Anybody have some ideas?

Timeaisis

So it took a couple nights of practice, but the fiance and I finally got a Platinum on the first battle mission:

ckDAF8X.jpg

I haven't played the missions co-op yet. My wife hasn't played it yet, but I really want to play co-op. Would it be completely confusing to hand her the gamepad and be like "here, we need a platinum"?

JoeFu

Banned
Question about the ending sequence (SPOILERS I GUESS)

Is the final sequence a montage leading up to when the Drake crashed? You see something fall towards the planet and the pikmin rushing towards it. Didn't really notice it until I beat it again. Maybe it's hinting at a fourth game! I really really love the ending though. The music is so good.

Top Bottom