• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Eusis

That reminds me of how S-E keeps saying that if they made FFVII today, it would take 10 years or something. Lolol. :(
It's a large part of why I find it foolish to want an FFVII remake, and almost puzzling when people act like it's something they MUST do. Then I'm truly puzzled when people expect it to happen rather than simply hoping it does.

Although, come to think of it maybe it'd be feasible to at least do it by DQVIII standards? But that probably took shortcuts through cel shading, which might work equally well with FFVII but NOT be what the fans were hoping for.
Call me when it legitimately eclipses Planescape.
I think that was more about game size and scope. If I recall correctly wasn't Planescape Torment fairly short and small compared to other IE games?

Suairyu

Banned
Whatever tier you are on (that does not include). You add 20$ to the pledge (or was it 25)

For example you pledge at 25 tier, you would add 20 to that for 45
Found it, but thanks.

Pledging at $40. Would love to join the $165 craziness, but I can't personally justify the expense for one game. Steam and UK high street prices have made it so I don't tend to buy games over £10, so Obsidian should know $40 means I really really want to support them :p

Eusis

I moved down from 65 to 35, but I AM considering whether to go ahead and jump back up with stuff like the Almanac thrown in, or to just slap the expansion on.

Twinduct

Want that expansion! Christ this kickstarter went places though. I keep on waiting for that kickstarter fatigue to creep in, just not seeing it.

This could end up anywhere. Even Kicktraq had completely lost it... ;-)

YAJtF.jpg

Pakman

So if I want to up my PayPal donation from $140 to $250 to get the signed collectors edition tier, do I just donate $110 using the "Donate your own amount" section?

m0qbc.jpg

Just had an awesome idea: what if at the bottom of this dungeon, after you fight the uber boss you find a key to the towers above the ground level? And in those towers, warded by uber powerful magicks, there are almost game breaking treasures or portals to mega uber, optional boss fights like in jRPGs?

God damn I need this game now. It brings back the best memories of BG2 + PS:T + ID2.

The pic above is straight up Watcher's Keep with Demigorgon fight.

Dina

Crap, I've backed for 20 dollars since that option was still available, but at the end it said package not available anymore. However, I still got the e-mail from Amazon that Obsidian can request 20 dollars from my CC.

The project didn't show on my Kickstarter activity, so it never really got processed. After that, I did the normal 25 dollar backing package and that got through fine, but where do I send an e-mail asking them to not draw both the 20 and 25 dollar? Anyone know?

PaulLFC

Crap, I've backed for 20 dollars since that option was still available, but at the end it said package not available anymore. However, I still got the e-mail from Amazon that Obsidian can request 20 dollars from my CC.

The project didn't show on my Kickstarter activity, so it never really got processed. After that, I did the normal 25 dollar backing package and that got through fine, but where do I send an e-mail asking them to not draw both the 20 and 25 dollar? Anyone know?
Just log in to your Amazon payments account (link should be in the email from Amazon). If there are two payments to Kickstarter, cancel the $20 one. If there's one, that should mean you're okay, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

That happened to me a couple of times too, and I had to cancel the $20 payment that showed up on Amazon but not in Kickstarter. Kickstarter really need to sort that out so it can't happen, because the money effectively "disappears" and goes towards nothing.

Bluth54

I've never liked the idea of kickstarters very much and have never backed one before, but reading about this game and seeing the screenshot of this game has brought back the memories of playing the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games when I was a kid. I decided to kick start for $50 plus an extra $27 for the expansion and strategy guide download.

PaulLFC

Quick question - if I increase my pledge, does that increase the amount on Amazon automatically for me? The email from Amazon for my initial pledge says Kickstarter can "only take up to" the pledge amount. I assume Kickstarter takes care of adjusting this amount accordingly?

It seems like theyve promised so much for this game. There's a part of me that thinks they're maybe getting in over their heads. How many employees does obsidian have anyway?

Bluth54

Quick question - if I increase my pledge, does that increase the amount on Amazon automatically for me? The email from Amazon for my initial pledge says Kickstarter can "only take up to" the pledge amount. I assume Kickstarter takes care of adjusting this amount accordingly?

When I just did it it took me to the amazon page again to authorize the updated pledge amount.

Dennis

Banned
It seems like theyve promised so much for this game. There's a part of me that thinks they're maybe getting in over their heads. How many employees does obsidian have anyway?

Time to cut the neverending dungeon and some of all those classes and races.

Concentrate on making the Second Big City something special.

Perkel

Banned

Currently circa 100 people. But there won't be 100 people working on this project. With current amount of pledges it will be like 20-25 max

PaulLFC

When I just did it it took me to the amazon page again to authorize the updated pledge amount.
Thanks!

Edit: Probably already posted, but Obsidian are asking for suggestions for the next stretch goal on Twitter and Facebook:

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian
Well I don't like announcing achieves until I see it on KS (we'll apply PP $ to final totals) but uhhh, it's hard not to say... BBC2 IS IN!

Let me ask you guys! What would you like to see the next stretch goal be for #ProjectEternity?

duckroll

Yeah, my only fear at this point is that they don't make the release date. I can't see the game not being good.

I'm not worried. I don't think they'll make the release date stated. I also don't think they should be under any pressure to. For non-backers, they'll just see it like any other game release, and stuff gets pushed back, it's normal. For backers, there'll definitely be enough information and communication if they need more time. Unless they literally take the money and run without any updates or game news at all, I really don't see anyone being annoyed.

Durante

What do you expect to be the final stretch goal in terms of money? I guess best would be something around 3.7m -- possible but not at all easy.

mclem

What do you expect to be the final stretch goal in terms of money? I guess best would be something around 3.7m -- possible but not at all easy.

$3.75m would be nice and round.

They've still skirted the mod tools question, haven't they? Could be that.

dude

dude
They should go for the trifecta: Another screenshot, another big art piece and a 3.7 million stretch goal for Modding tools. Kickstarter will break.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How many hours to go do we have?

I only put in $20 at the beginning and put more than that into the GAF Inn. Should I add $20 for the expansion or should I up my tier?

Lusankya

Mod tools would be a great extra to throw in as a goodwill gesture.

Buck: What are your plans for supporting the Project Eternity community up to and beyond its release? Have you considered the possibility of releasing any content-inducing patches or even a toolset of some kind?

Josh: Our testing and beta processes will minimize the need for patches, but we like to support the longevity of our products. We recently made an update on what our plans are regarding mods. We've partnered with the Nexus Network to host mods. Additionally, we will be releasing file format information and leaving a lot of our data tables open for easy modification.

How many hours to go do we have?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity ?

peakish

$3.75m would be nice and round.

They've still skirted the mod tools question, haven't they? Could be that.
There was this at least:
Feargus: We talked recently in one of our updates about modding Project Eternity. We are working with the Nexus Network to host mods for Project Eternity. Right now we are going to open up our file formats and make sure that everyone can change RPG data the way they want to change it. As we get more familiar with Unity, we are going to support more and more modding. We really love to see how everyone extends our games and think that modding is one of those core things about PC gaming that makes it so awesome.

http://www.overclockers.com/kickstarter-and-game-development-highlighting-games-coming-to-linux-part-1

JoeBoy101

Just threw down my $25. First Kickstarter I've thrown in on. Player housing was the tipping point for me, so yeah, I'm that kind of vanity whore.

Top Bottom