• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zabojnik

My man!

EDIT: NO! Go $160! D: You have to get the expansion! You can't give it! YOU CAN'T GIVE IN!

Ehhh. I would, but I have to pay an additional $20 for international shipping and another $150 for the Star Citizen crowdfunding campaign. $300 is about as high as I'm willing to go for 'shit that may never even see the light of the day' in a month. :p Make me pay $40+ for the add-on later on, Obsidian, I won't mind! Take my moneyz, take it all!

Let's be realistic - None of the stretch goals and bonuses really correspond to their actual cost. Everything is being used as a motivating factor for fans to continue talking about the game and spreading the word. Facebook Likes = fans doing marketing for the Kickstarter. At this point, the game is clearly very, very well funded, far beyond the initial goal, so they can probably afford to give freebies in terms of game features. Worst case scenario? Somewhere along the line someone has to work overtime to get those extra floors implemented. Lol.

Careful, you're beginning to sound like those users on the DFA forums that are saying DF should go into debt to make DFA the best game it can be.

No, actually the more people who take up such bonuses, the better for them. The worst possible scenario for physical goods is if you offer them and some people take them up but not many, then you end up having to pay out of your ass for a tiny print run, just to satisfy a very small number of backers. If lots of people are taking them up and paying for them (they're not free!), then it's pure profit.

I get that a smaller print run is worse for the company than a larger one, but it still doesn't quite sit right with me that doublefine (not necessarily obsidian) spent so much of the kickstarter money on what is effectively marketing materials...to people who already paid for the game. I hope it pays off for them (and obsidian!) with respect to brand awareness and sales outside the orbit of the kickstarter campaign.

Guys, I am upping my pledge to 40$ because I also want the expansion. Do I have to write it down somewhere in the process of confirming it? How will they know it's the expansion I want and not something else?

Zabojnik

I so want to upgrade my 20$ to a 165$ one, but I just can't justify this amount of money for a game I haven't seen yet...

Do as I do. First, force yourself into that "I MUST, THEY CANNOT DO IT WITHOUT MY CONTRIBUTION!!!" state of mind. Then, do a simple "$ per hour's entertainment" calculation. If PE turns out being anything like BG2 in terms of content (or even if it's only half of that), you'll probably spend at least 60 hours exploring & adventuring. 160 $ / 60 = 2,6 $/h. Pretty great value, if you ask me.

Do it. DO ITTT!

Edit: $40 is fine too. :)

Sharp

It still feels really weird to see so much transparency about dollar numbers with Kickstarter games, especially considering how we know less and less about the numbers elsewhere in the industry.
I get that a smaller print run is worse for the company than a larger one, but it still doesn't quite sit right with me that doublefine (not necessarily obsidian) spent so much of the kickstarter money on what is effectively marketing materials...to people who already paid for the game. I hope it pays off for them (and obsidian!) with respect to brand awareness and sales outside the orbit of the kickstarter campaign.
People might not have donated nearly as much without the kickbacks and incentives. It's how charities have attracted large donors for ages. Yes, at some level you'd rather wish all the money just go to the game's development, but as long as the total amount after the prizes are sent is higher than the previous reward tier, you've probably made out well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I totally had it pegged that they wouldn't make 3.5m. Colour me surprised.

ghostmind

I'm currently at the $20 early bird, but i am tempted by the $50 digital level and also the $140 physical level.

Indecision time...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is starting to seem like it's really legitimately going to eclipse BG2. Imagine that; Bioware told us we'd never see a game like it again, because it was too expensive to do asset creation and full voice acting on that scale.

Well, they got part of it right.

This is starting to seem like it's really legitimately going to eclipse BG2. Imagine that; Bioware told us we'd never see a game like it again, because it was too expensive to do asset creation and full voice acting on that scale.

I'm hoping this, WL2, and SRR ushers in a new renaissance of tactical CRPG's.

szaromir

Banned

I never understood why devs and publishers let top down 2D RPGs die. BG1/2 were huge hits and continue to print money even today.

duckroll

I never understood why devs and publishers let top down 2D RPGs die. BG1/2 were huge hits and continue to print money even today.

I think Interplay and Atari going to shit was largely responsible for that. If you really look at the RPG landscape, it's not like there were a ton of publisher/developers doing big top down/isometric 2D RPGs back in the day either.

peakish

I acted as a jerk to people some pages ago in the art/direction discussion. I'm very sorry about that.

Amazing that it's (probably) going above $3,5M on the Kickstarter page alone.

szaromir

Banned
I think Interplay and Atari going to shit was largely responsible for that. If you really look at the RPG landscape, it's not like there were a ton of publisher/developers doing big top down/isometric 2D RPGs back in the day either.

While true, you have to wonder why Atari didn't think of eg. funding Neverwinter Nights 2 (the way it was) and at the same time Baldur's Gate 3 as a 2D RPG (for a fraction of NWN2's budget). It's the fact that no one looked back to that big success story and profit on it that astounds me. NWN1/2 sold well enough though/

People should also remember that back then 3D was the next big thing after sliced bread. I still remember that first Bioware ad for NWN and how revolutionary it was. A couple of years later GTA3 came and it all took its course.

The mediocre sales of the BG: Dark Alliance series on PS2 were also influential to the BG name, I guess.

After so many years, the return to 2D is a fairly fresh wind of change.

duckroll

While true, you have to wonder why Atari didn't think of eg. funding Neverwinter Nights 2 (the way it was) and at the same time Baldur's Gate 3 as a 2D RPG (for a fraction of NWN2's budget). It's the fact that no one looked back to that big success story and profit on it that astounds me. NWN1/2 sold well enough though/

I think you missed the part where I said they went to shit. Lol. :(

The CRPG almost died in the late 90's actually. Computer Gaming World had a year where they gave out no RPG of the Year Award because there were no games released that could be even be considered decent.

Eusis

Seems like the real problem there is you'll never see a game on BG2's scale with modern AAA standards. It's why I find the path of requiring full VA highly questionable and kind of wish more frequently lower end visuals were accepted on stronger platforms.

Well, that's mainly a console problem, half because of mass market consumers and half because the gate keepers usually deem it unfit, but it doesn't seem to have been a very serious problem on PC at least.

duckroll

Seems like the real problem there is you'll never see a game on BG2's scale with modern AAA standards. It's why I find the path of requiring full VA highly questionable and kind of wish more frequently lower end visuals were accepted on stronger platforms.

Well, that's mainly a console problem, half because of mass market consumers and half because the gate keepers usually deem it unfit, but it doesn't seem to have been a very serious problem on PC at least.

That reminds me of how S-E keeps saying that if they made FFVII today, it would take 10 years or something. Lolol. :(

Nothing on this livechat beats someone asking on the biochat three years ago if any females work at BW.

The entire BG series has only sold around $5m in its entire lifetime.

That's nothing in today's standards.

EDIT: fix't. i'm a dork.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Call me when it legitimately eclipses Planescape.

Top Bottom