• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Hargenx

We gonna make it!!!

1348256373604.gif

mclem

I need to go to bed, so I'm going to miss the point where the Kickstarter alone surpasses DFA, but it's Real Soon Now.

Not something I expected to see, really; I thought DFA would hold the record for games software for a fair while simply by virtue of being the pioneer, but I think it's fair to say that this project hit the sweet spot of big names and a reasonable period after that first huge success.

terrisus

Question:
Is there gonna be a way for us to increase pledges / select higher reward tiers after the Kickstarter has finished?

Chris Avellone:
That's been a question, and we're looking into it. Hope to have an answer soon.

That would be pretty nifty too. Since, I don't have much to spare at the moment (although did at least get in for the $25), but would definitely increase it significantly before the game came out if given the chance.

That would be pretty nifty too. Since, I don't have much to spare at the moment (although did at least get in for the $25), but would definitely increase it significantly before the game came out if given the chance.

Yeah, if this can extend into my next pay period, I'd gladly drop $1k.

jett

D-Member
I wonder if this will really be enough money for what they are doing. Double Fine is already running into budgetary issues for their title, apparently. :p

Impressive that they beat DFA's record.

Instro

I wonder if this will really be enough money for what they are doing. Double Fine is already running into budgetary issues for their title, apparently. :p

I dunno, coming to the realization on how much work they have to do isn't exactly running into budgetary problems. They haven't fallen behind schedule yet it seems.

DTKT

That kind of situation is going to kill the Kickstarter model. I hope that Obsidian are playing it safe. There is no safety net. :|

FACE

Banned

Wasn't it supposed to be out by now?

zkylon

zkylewd
2012 is the year the PC community's made me proud. I love you guys, I'm amazed that we're funding Infinity Engine-esque and Scumm-like games!

We the best!

PaulLFC

This game is going to be amazing. Providing nothing strange happens, we'll have two big cities, a stronghold and a ten-, possibly more, floor mega dungeon. How many hours are we talking? "A lot" I bet.

Minsc

Gold Member

Along with time issues. But that's exaggerating a little, they were talking about keeping people to their contracts and needing years to draw out the game a certain way, but it's all part the development process, realizing even millions doesn't get you everything you can think of and the workflow needs to be structured in a way that progresses at a good pace.

Plus this has the advantage of not needing to be so elaborately animated and it also doesn't need the dialog to be voiced. I think there's a lot of things that would be more difficult making an RPG over an adventure game, and vice-versa.

Another big advantage with Project Eternity is that it is using the Unity 4 engine, which has been praised time and time again (including by Obsidian) on how incredibly fast and efficient it is at producing content.

Decado

Have they talked about the economy at all? It would be great for there to be an option where money is useful. There are actually useful things to buy and you're not a billionaire after 5 hrs of gameplay.

duckroll

Have they talked about the economy at all? It would be great for there to be an option where money is useful. There are actually useful things to buy and you're not a billionaire after 5 hrs of gameplay.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/109792-project-eternity-interview/page-3.html

Buck: How important will currency be in the game, and what steps are you taking to ensure that there are enough money sinks to keep it important from start to finish?

Josh: I think currency is really interesting and it says a lot about the state of the world and the cultures in it. My interest is not necessarily shared by everyone, so I don't know how important individual currencies will be. What we use as money sinks will depend in part on how our stretch goals turn out. We already have a player house and that can be a good money sink. If the stronghold is funded at $3 million, that can be a huge money sink. Additionally, some crafting options and the Adventurer's Hall can serve as money sinks.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I felt Fallout: New Vegas had a good money sink at the end with the implants.

Yeah, as was the Gun Runners' DLC. They needed it though, because F:NV was pretty easy to break cash wise.

By mid to end-game scenarios, you could be running around repairing snipers and assault rifles from assassin teams or big theft raids with weapon repair kits from Dead Money tokens(read:free) and selling them for whatever you needed and still come out with money.

But at least the sinks in PE look to involve a lot more world-change, given the stronghold and such.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah, as was the Gun Runners' DLC. They needed it though, because F:NV was pretty easy to break cash wise.

By mid to end-game scenarios, you could be running around repairing snipers and assault rifles from assassin teams or big theft raids with weapon repair kits from Dead Money tokens(read:free) and selling them for whatever you needed and still come out with money.

But at least the sinks in PE look to involve a lot more world-change, given the stronghold and such.

That is why i don't consider FNV without Arwen gameplay changes as proper game. Arwen changes are brutal on economy and things like ammunition, guns and stimpacks now cost more akin to Fallout1/2 where simple gun cost about 500-700 caps with good barter skill. Also most of things give you waaaay less caps.

Burst mode ? Forget about this option.

duckroll

All of NV's money sinks are invalidated immediately if you manage to just take a few gold bars out when you complete Dead Money! :D

My main concern is the continuing addition of meatspace bonuses to the reward tiers for customers. Having to print out thousands of hardcover books, tens of thousands of t-shirts and who knows how many custom embroidered patches is a lot of cash. I wonder if DoubleFine is now regretting the eleven thousand boxes and poster prints it must now produce and ship to their backers.

duckroll

My main concern is the continuing addition of meatspace bonuses to the reward tiers for customers. Having to print out thousands of hardcover books, tens of thousands of t-shirts and who knows how many custom embroidered patches is a lot of cash. I wonder if DoubleFine is now regretting the eleven thousand boxes and poster prints it must now produce and ship to their backers.

No, actually the more people who take up such bonuses, the better for them. The worst possible scenario for physical goods is if you offer them and some people take them up but not many, then you end up having to pay out of your ass for a tiny print run, just to satisfy a very small number of backers. If lots of people are taking them up and paying for them (they're not free!), then it's pure profit.

adixon

LOL, Feargus is on the kickstarter comments saying that he is trying to get Josh to kill Adam's character on the livestream, so he can help finalize one last stretch goal they planned out.

I've spent way too much time following this :p

Glaurungr

New stretch goal being looked at:

Sistergoldring Priestess of Obsidian 3 minutes ago

@Feargus - you dreaming up a crazy last minute 3500000+ stretch goal?

Obsidian Entertainment just now

@SGR Well, we have a list of things and have one in mind - we are debating about making sure it sounds cool and not crazy, since announcing something as big as another Big, Big City wouldn't make sense. Kind of a conundrum. -Feargus

Edit: And PayPal numbers:

Obsidian Entertainment less than a minute ago

$104K on PayPal - Assume fifty more than the last one. :) -Feargus

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Im wondering this too. Kinda pointless if this unimportant shit is eating hundreds of thousands of dollar away from development.

upped my pledge to 65 and liked em on facebook! Hopefully we see more of the chained giant.

All of NV's money sinks are invalidated immediately if you manage to just take a few gold bars out when you complete Dead Money! :D

I actually managed to get all of them out of there. It took like 20 tries.

Wallach

Im wondering this too. Kinda pointless if this unimportant shit is eating hundreds of thousands of dollar away from development.

It shouldn't be too bad. They don't have any physical product obligations until someone's into the $65 dollar tier and up, so those backers should be paying enough in to cover the goods costs.

duckroll

How does the the endless dungeon thing work? I understand that more money=more stuff but the dungeon can't be entirely funded by Facebook likes right?

Let's be realistic - None of the stretch goals and bonuses really correspond to their actual cost. Everything is being used as a motivating factor for fans to continue talking about the game and spreading the word. Facebook Likes = fans doing marketing for the Kickstarter. At this point, the game is clearly very, very well funded, far beyond the initial goal, so they can probably afford to give freebies in terms of game features. Worst case scenario? Somewhere along the line someone has to work overtime to get those extra floors implemented. Lol.

Top Bottom