• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The problem with comparing PE to NWN or BG in terms of potential sales is that NWN and BG are based in properties that are massively popular. Obsidian is a well respected developer, but most of the consumer base doesn't make purchase decisions on the name of the developer.
Thats why "From the Creators of" exists.

Eusis

From the Creators of Fallout 1 and 2 and a bunch of other games that didn't sell well.

;P

I hope this game is amazingly successful, but I'm so pessimistic about the gamers and the games they buy these days. :(
Eh, if it's got this kind of backing I'm optimistic this will do fine for Obsidian, it's got more backers than most, say, jRPGs have sales period. I'd be more worried that the industry ignores its success or that it's not quite up to the level to really elevate Obsidian to a new level as an independent developer.

Yup. Forums like GAF might give the impression that everyone who's into these games will pay up front, but in the real world I think there are a lot of people who will check Steam in a couple of years, see the screenshot at the top of the thread, and be like "whoa, that looks awesome!" There are an awful lot of people who love big Western RPGs, as I think Skyrim demonstrated pretty effectively (and yes, Skyrim was an RPG).

There are plenty of Kickstarter games I'm following that I was never going to kick money in myself for. If they turn out well once they're released I'll buy them. For example, I wouldn't blindly trust Brian Fargo with my money, but I hope Wasteland 2 is awesome. I didn't have any spare money to invest in either Double Fine's Adventure project, or FTL during their campaigns, but FTL I've bought and I'm looking forward to seeing what Double Fine comes up with. I don't have the disposable income to spend betting a game 2 years from now will be good. Backing a Kickstarter for me requires a special circumstance.

wrowa

The problem with comparing PE to NWN or BG in terms of potential sales is that NWN and BG are based in properties that are massively popular. Obsidian is a well respected developer, but most of the consumer base doesn't make purchase decisions on the name of the developer.

Massively popular? Is that really true? Wasn't D&D always just some kind of nerd thing? Pretty sure that the people who've been playing D&D in the past, are into this kind of stuff enough to know what's behind Project Eternity.

Actually, I'd go as far as to say that nowadays more people know the Forgotten Realms through Baldur's Gate, the game, than through all of the D&D pen and paper stuff. I don't think that the brand is really worth all that much...

Eusis

There are plenty of Kickstarter games I'm following that I was never going to kick money in myself for. If they turn out well once they're released I'll buy them. For example, I wouldn't blindly trust Brian Fargo with my money, but I hope Wasteland 2 is awesome. I didn't have any spare money to invest in either Double Fine's Adventure project, or FTL during their campaigns, but FTL I've bought and I'm looking forward to seeing what Double Fine comes up with. I don't have the disposable income to spend betting a game 2 years from now will be good. Backing a Kickstarter for me requires a special circumstance.
Yeah, that's the other thing, investing now is somewhat disconcerting, you're throwing money in for something you won't see for years at best, at worst you never see it at all. It's nice to see the game there in front of you and know what people think. But then that's part of why I'm more willing to jump in this, because Obsidian's been active in recent years making games I've enjoyed.

Well, I also missed the Double Fine one, only making a Kickstarter account once Wasteland 2 popped up.
Massively popular? Is that really true? Wasn't D&D always just some kind of nerd thing? Pretty sure that the people who've been playing D&D in the past, are into this kind of stuff enough to know what's behind Project Eternity.

Actually, I'd go as far as to say that nowadays more people know the Forgotten Realms through Baldur's Gate, the game, than through all of the D&D pen and paper stuff. I don't think that the brand is really worth all that much...
Star Wars and Star Trek are really nerdy things that are massively popular. And D&D IS the most popular pen & paper game.

marrec

Banned

The D&D brand much more popular today than it was when BG was released (maybe do in part to the success of those games). As far as nerd things, I'd go so far as to say that it's probably the most popular IP.

Also, the majority of D&D players have not played any of the Infinity Engine CRPGs of the past 20 years based on my anecdotal experience.

dude

dude
VTM doesn't exist anymore. It was part of the Old World of Darkness, which got nerfed. The New World of Darkness removed a lot of the stuff people loved about VTM.

nWoD was just a much needed refresh for the convoluted storylines VtM and oWoD in general has become. If you played Vampire in the early 00's, you pretty much had no idea what's going on and the internet was full of conflicting lores. nWoD had a different tone and focused much more on the horror aspects, and it's far from bad or hated. oWoD still exists though, White Wolf just finished a couple of Kickstarters for VtM source books and re-releases of various oWoD games. So VtM still exists, it's just that now there's also Vampire the Requiem alongside it.

White Wolf has become very Kickstarter-focused in general, they're going to Kickstart the production of the third edition of Exalted. This is pretty interesting, because it's not a source book or an add-on, but a core product. Kickstarter has been great for more than just Video Games.

I didn't think it would go up to 3.5mil but I 'm glad to see every stretch goal now complete! Plus 11 levels for the mega dungeon, quite good.

marrec

Banned
nWoD was just a much needed refresh for the convoluted storylines VtM and oWoD in general has become. If you played Vampire in the early 00's, you pretty much had no idea what's going on and the internet was full of conflicting lores. nWoD had a different tone and focused much more on the horror aspects, and it's far from bad or hated. oWoD still exists though, White Wolf just finished a couple of Kickstarters for VtM source books and re-releases of various oWoD games. So VtM still exists, it's just that now there's also Vampire the Requiem alongside it.

White Wolf has become very Kickstarter-focused in general, they're going to Kickstart the production of the third edition of Exalted. This is pretty interesting, because it's not a source book or an add-on, but a core product. Kickstarter has been great for more than just Video Games.

The oWoD lore was confusing? The chronology was a bit messed up, but the world was clearly set up for me. It's been years since I played any table-top V:tM but I don't remember ever being confused about the lore.

Those clan novels that they put out made a real mess out of things though.

szaromir

Banned
We're definitely getting 12 levels of the dungeon at least. There should be almost 2.5k backers on Paypal by now.
The way I see it unlocking new levels in the mega dungeon is just a promotional stunt, they might as well have 20 levels planned for it and will use various marketing ploys ('likes' on facebooks etc.) to reveal the next level.

Ah, it was my understanding that Vampire the Requiem wiped VtM away. I didn't know about White Wolf's Kickstarters.

As an aside, I'm upping my damn pledge. Can't resist any more.

dude

dude
The oWoD lore was confusing? The chronology was a bit messed up, but the world was clearly set up for me. It's been years since I played any table-top V:tM but I don't remember ever being confused about the lore.

Those clan novels that they put out made a real mess out of things though.

By the time we reached Gehanna, the thing was incomprehensible. The base lore was still amazing and easy to follow, it was mostly the optional source books and meta-plot that were problematic.
I used to be a big Vampire player back in the day, and while I too had a time of hostility towards nWoD I've learned the appreciate it.

Ah, it was my understanding that Vampire the Requiem wiped VtM away. I didn't know about White Wolf's Kickstarters.

If you like WW, consider pledging :)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pocalypse-20th-anniversary-ed?ref=home_social

marrec

Banned
By the time we reached Gehanna, the thing was incomprehensible. The base lore was still amazing and easy to follow, it was mostly the optional source books and meta-plot that were problematic.
I used to be a big Vampire player back in the day, and while I too had a time of hostility towards nWoD I've learned the appreciate it.

The base source + Book of Cain + Clan Books built an amazing world with great lore. The clan novels shat on all of that, but Gehanna was pretty fun. I remember doing a lot of RPing in the WW official IRC during that time and it was a blast.

That said, I agree, the base lore was great until they started fucking with it.

TheContact

11_Untitled.png

First time giving money for a Kickstarter. Time to wait for April lol

duckroll

The way I see it unlocking new levels in the mega dungeon is just a promotional stunt, they might as well have 20 levels planned for it and will use various marketing ploys ('likes' on facebooks etc.) to reveal the next level.

Yeah I agree. But they probably don't want to do extra levels if they don't have to, so they're likely just waiting to see how the arbitrary "goals" for the dungeon pan out. We're getting at least 12 though. :)

Patryn

Yeah I agree. But they probably don't want to do extra levels if they don't have to, so they're likely just waiting to see how the arbitrary "goals" for the dungeon pan out. We're getting at least 12 though. :)

13 sounds like a nice number, full of evil implications.

Minsc

Gold Member
Plus if each level is full of encounters and traps and puzzles, you're probably looking at around 45 mins of gameplay per level, so at 12 levels, this is a decent-sized 9 hour optional dungeon (or longer)!

szaromir

Banned
BTW I thought they'd post an update immediately after the last round of milestones ($3.5M and 67.5k backers) was achieved? Don't they want to make the most of the final 10 hours?

dude

dude
Plus if each level is full of encounters and traps and puzzles, you're probably looking at around 45 mins of gameplay per level, so at 12 levels, this is a decent-sized 9 hour dungeon (or longer)!

This thing has the potential to usurped Watcher's Keep as the best cRPG dungeon crawl. 12 levels, that's just nuts man!

BTW I thought they'd post an update immediately after the last round of milestones ($3.5M and 67.5k backers) was achieved? Don't they want to make the most of the final 10 hours?

They're probably working on it right now.

Dennis

Banned

They are panicking. No more promises to make and they just realized they have to deliver two big cities.

Riddler

They were up really late playing. I never saw them finish and watched for 4 hours.

Top Bottom