• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Eusis

I'm guessing they had a reasonably sized second one planned anyway, with expansion ideas if they hit that mark. Otherwise, yeah, I imagine they WOULD be having trouble.

Massive, MASSIVE fail on Obsidian's part of not having a stream of celebration when the $3.5M mark has been reached. Even more fail that they did not update the KS page yet.

It's like they do not care (now) when they cared in the past.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Have they even said if it's fully voiced? As much as I liked the voice acting in BG and the like, I'd be okay without it if it made development go quicker.

Durante

They did call the "Big City 2" stretch goal final a few times, so maybe it really is?

Have they even said if it's fully voiced? As much as I liked the voice acting in BG and the like, I'd be okay without it if it made development go quicker.
It's partially voiced, like Fallout or BG. Only key scenes/lines.

Massive, MASSIVE fail on Obsidian's part of not having a stream of celebration when the $3.5M mark has been reached. Even more fail that they did not update the KS page yet.

So hilarious. This post, right here, is so hilarious.

1. Why would you have a video to celebrate $3.5million when you have quite a few hours left for it to end?

2. Who says they are not updating KS as we speak?

3. Maybe they're brainstorming on what to provide us for the next minor stretch?

4. Maybe they are sleeping cause they were awake last 5 or 6 hours ago, and it's 8am?!

duckroll

They did call the "Big City 2" stretch goal final a few times, so maybe it really is?

Nah, a few hours ago before they all went to sleep they were asking on Twitter for suggestions of what people want to see for a stretch goal beyond that. They also updated the image to add the castle at the end. They'll add something for sure, but... it probably won't be something major.

PaulLFC

I... don't think a Kickstarter reaching 3.5 mil can be in any way considered a failure.

E-word all up in here.
How? Nobody is calling the Kickstarter a failure. From what I've seen people are just surprised Obsidian haven't acknowledged they've hit the final stretch goal and set the next one they hinted at, considering there are less than 10 hours left to try and hit that goal.

I don't see what's wrong with people thinking that.

marrec

Banned

1. Why would you have a video to celebrate $3.5million when you have quite a few hours left for it to end?

3. Maybe they're brainstorming on what to provide us for the next minor stretch?

MASSIVE FAILURE that they didn't have a stream of celebration for 3.513 Mil.

Eusis

It's partially voiced, like Fallout or BG. Only key scenes/lines.
Yeah, I believe they made it clear that going fully voiced wasn't practical for the kind of game they wanted to make, even if they did have the luxury of an AAA budget.

szaromir

Banned
But they said yesterday that they were debating over an additional stretch goal since $3.5M already seemed to be likely.
Being already over $3.6M, I think they might as well risk it and go for $3.9M or even a $4M final goal and in case of failure scale it accordingly.

How? Nobody is calling the Kickstarter a failure. From what I've seen people are just surprised Obsidian haven't acknowledged they've hit the final stretch goal and set the next one they hinted at, considering there are less than 10 hours left to try and hit that goal.

It's 8am. Damn you guys. They were awake till 2-3am.

marrec

Banned

It's the language that makes it funny.

Maybe Obsidian should just be streaming for the next 10 hours as they celebrate every backer from her until the kickstarter closes.

Herla

They did shots when they reached $3.5m with paypal included (it was during the D&D stream), we're at more than $3.6m now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

4. Maybe they are sleeping cause they were awake last 5 or 6 hours ago, and it's 8am?!

Pfft, who needs sleep.

They are clearly robot that run on donations.

PaulLFC

It's the language that makes it funny.

Maybe Obsidian should just be streaming for the next 10 hours as they celebrate every backer from her until the kickstarter closes.
Haha, yeah, I get it now. I do hope they're ready to set the next goal at some point though, will bring in even more money for them.

Massive failure on StoppedInTracks' part for not knowing this already.

Yeah I kind of fucked up :( You put a stream celebrating when the KS ends like all the other projects did.

I was so fixated on the 2nd Big City and the $3.5M goal (like we all did) that I thought that was the end, the ultimate amount.

Yeah I kind of fucked up :( You put a stream celebrating when the KS ends like all the other projects did.

I was so fixated on the 2nd Big City and the $3.5M goal that I thought that was the end, the ultimate amount.

Massive, MASSIVE fail on StoppedInTracks's part of not having a stream of lamentation when the $3.5M mark has been reached. Even more fail that he did not cancel the KS pledge yet.

It's like he does care (now) when he cared in the past.

PFD

Remember we have to take away 10k because Gamebanshee didn't manage to get the 10k for their donation.

That doesn't make sense. Why would they donate early and reserve a 'spot' when there's no limit on 10k donations? Do you know for a fact that they already pledged 10k?

Let's celebrate The Endless Paths instead!

e6a4004cc9a2e0c58d450bd8135171f7_large.jpg

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
White Wolf has become very Kickstarter-focused in general, they're going to Kickstart the production of the third edition of Exalted.

Buh? This is news to me, last I heard the game's coming out in a month and half. The only Kickstarter stuff I was aware of was possibly for a 'deluxe' hardcover.

That water's probably pretty cold, so no doubt there's been some... shrinkage... over the last couple of millennia. The artist has just been re-assuring the titan that everyone will take that into account before releasing the picture to the dick-hungry masses.

terrisus

I hope these succeeds and if it did I hope Obsidian would understand why.
I would be perfectly happy if they decided that they would just try to perfect the games and genre they are working with rather than taking the RPG genre forward and basically replicate what happened post-Infinity Engine. Hopefully this sort of retro-success puts things in perspective.

I could see them saying "We are happy where we are" and just continuing to innovate and come up with new ideas for games/rpg's and so on because that's what they love. Rather than going crazy with scope and budget. Sort like those guys at Spiderweb Software who make Avernum/Avadon/Geneforge.

Its interesting that no game developers or publishers really stop wanting to grow in terms of development size/scope/budget and be happy at their size/production level.

This has always been one of my big hopes as well. That, with the increase of technology and capabilities, that, instead of companies always feeling the need to make things "fancier, flashier, more polygons, more movies, more voices, more everything," that they just stayed at a certain level, and concentrated all their time and efforts on perfecting that level.

I'm perfectly happy with (and, in fact, would often prefer) SNES (for console) and BG/IWD (for PC) style games, and would like that, as finally seems to be the case here, that all the added technology and ability that we have now be spent to making those games even more amazing. And, hopefully, that is exactly what is happening here.

Top Bottom