• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

wrowa

Naw, what they should do is have a live stream, and if we hit $4M, they do something crazy like shave Tim's head or something. Nothing that actually costs money but something fun that'll get people to drive more funds in.

Well, they are going to have a live stream today. It's just that things happened way faster than anyone anticipated. Pretty much everyone thought that they would hit the 3,5m goal just barely if at all. And now? It looks like they could actually come close to 4 million. It's pretty crazy.

Pretty much everyone thought that they would hit the 3,5m goal just barely if at all. And now? It looks like they could actually come close to 4 million. It's pretty crazy.

This will break 3mil easy. I could see it doing $4m conservatively, but wouldnt be surprised to see it go higher than that.

Doubting Thomas's, charlatans all of you. I NEVER FALTERED :p

We're definitely gonna get at least one more dungeon level today, possibly two.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I can't even think of much I'd want for a 4 million stretch goal. It already sounds more than sufficiently ambitious and comprehensive as is.

Seeing as Obsidian's artists are either all asleep or collaborating on the Titan's cock, I did some concept art of my own to tide everyone over... of the GAF Inn front door!

gafdoor1.jpg

Apologies for the quality, I'm in a hotel in Paris with one black pen, so that was done on the back of some printed out Googlemaps directions and photographed with my iPad :lol

Loving this!
I especially like the list of "barred" members :p
That's the way I'd like the Tavern to go in terms of homage and referencing to GAF - there's no need to make it painstakingly obvious.

As I write, someone backed out of the early adopter $20 pledge level. If you haven't yet, now's your chance.

Edit: aaaaand it's gone. Could have figured it would go fast at the rate the final push is going.

wrowa

Doubting Thomas's, charlatans all of you. I NEVER FALTERED :p

We're definitely gonna get at least one more dungeon level today, possibly two.

Well, that was a month ago. I was more referring to the last days after they've announced the 3.5m stretchgoal. :p

Right at the beginning we had some people who even expected 5 million, but things didn't look quite as pretty halfway through the kickstarter anymore. :)

dude

dude
I can't even think of much I'd want for a 4 million stretch goal. It already sounds more than sufficiently ambitious and comprehensive as is.

It'll probably be some kind of modding toolset? People have been asking for that quite a bit.

Zeliard

Mini-games. Tower Defense and Farming games!

Jokes aside, I'll gladly take developer commentary in-game, if not added already. That would be a nice milestone, which shouldn't cost a lot.

That would be really cool, actually. Maybe they can fit it in at some point.

szaromir

Banned

It's still idiotic of them not to say anything at this point. Something like "at $4M we'll do 2 epic side-quests" that they were going to include anyway or what else. Something to motivate people to donate more money.

Labadal

$4 million stretch goal:

Sequel will be made after the expansion.

or

Mod tools that allows players to create their own campaigns.

dionysus

Yaldog
If the pull off everything they have promised for less than 4 million dollars, it will just show how much money the industry invests/wastes on polish and promotion.

I really want this kickstarter to succeed simply because I want to live in a world where a US based studio with lots of staff (not saying all the staff is on this game) and some big names can find it worthwhile to make a game that focuses on the core elements of the genre, and not have to spend 90% of the resources on graphics, voice acting, marketing, and everything else we associate with the current state of non-indie development. I like high production value games as much as anyone, but I also am underserved in a whole lot of aspects of gaming that used to exist.

The Doublefine kickstarter is very similar as well, in that you have a relatively large developer exploring an underserved market. A market the industry says can only be served by indie developers.

It'll probably be some kind of modding toolset? People have been asking for that quite a bit.

Didn't Sawyer or somebody say they intended on doing modding tools after release anyway? I recall some interview where they more or less said they didn't want modding as a stretch goal since they want to work on the game itself and modding support would be something post launch regardless.

Any extra money they get doesn't need some stretch goal attached- the Big City #2 was cool enough for me. It would kind of suck if they put one out and we ended up missing it after the 3.5 million goal seemed like a stretch.

Perkel

Banned
Yes I consider them the same. I know polish is often used to mean no bugs though. I just don't like the term production value.

no bugs =/= polish.

polish is more like making your elements work not only flawlessly but also very rewarding.
For example combat in Path of Exile and Diablo 3 are bugless but Diablo 3 combat looks superior because it is more polished.

You can say that opposite of polish is clunky.

Another example:

Durante much loved NWN2 UI is bugless and works but it is clunky and not very polished.

Patryn

It feels strange to say it, but at this point I think they have enough content. I just want them to get started on the game.

dude

dude
Didn't Sawyer or somebody say they intended on doing modding tools after release anyway? I recall some interview where they more or less said they didn't want modding as a stretch goal since they want to work on the game itself and modding support would be something post launch regardless.

Any extra money they get doesn't need some stretch goal attached- the Big City #2 was cool enough for me. It would kind of suck if they put one out and we ended up missing it after the 3.5 million goal seemed like a stretch.

If they keep taking their time in telling us what it is, we really might miss it. Ahem, Obsidian.
We know there is one, it's on the map. They cannot remove what has been put on the map for the internet to see.

Patryn

If they keep taking their time in telling us what it is, we really might miss it. Ahem, Obsidian.

It's not even 10 a.m. on the West Coast. They were up super late playing D&D. Cut them some slack.

I'd expect something in a couple of hours (around noon PDT).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It feels strange to say it, but at this point I think they have enough content. I just want them to get started on the game.

i hear you. i cant really think of a new stretch goal that could make me more excited. Its basically the Dream RPG. Project Eternitys existence basically ensures that 2012 will be the end of the world.

Patryn

Is Project Eternity going to be the final name of the game, btw? It sounds more like a temporary title for development.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Easily hitting $4M (PayPal included) if they announce another stretch goal.

Heck, this might hit 4 million without one.

This is fun to watch!
Is Project Eternity going to be the final name of the game, btw? It sounds more like a temporary title for development.
I think it's temporary? Not sure on that one.

Sulik2

Is anyone else concerned with how much extra content they are promising now that they might be over reaching? I don't want this to be a buggy mess.

Yeah, I think 'Eternity' as a name could work just fine. As for the amount of extra content, Obsidian have shown in interviews so far that they're well aware of the workloads they're taking on and are confident that they can still hit the April target. Even if they don't (which they likely won't), there's no publisher stopping them from taking as long as they need.

Trigger

Is anyone else concerned with how much extra content they are promising now that they might be over reaching? I don't want this to be a buggy mess.

I doubt it will be a mess. I'm under the impression they've already budgeted their resources. I don't think they'd add a new concept without planning how to implement and test it.

FStop7

Banned

It's Obsidian. It's going to be late, it's going to be buggy. It's also going to be brilliant in ways that overcome those faults.

I just switched my pledge from $35 to $165.

Top Bottom