• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Acosta

So, Obsidian is saved?

After North Carolina disaster, I think it will be a good boost, financially and for morale, but Obsidian is a 100 persons studio, they will need to keep getting projects after South Park or they will have to lay-off more people.

Perhaps after the great success of this KS, publishers will have a renewed interest on them.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
After North Carolina disaster, I think it will be a good boost, financially and for morale, but Obsidian is a 100 persons studio, they will need to keep getting projects after South Park or they will have to lay-off more people.

Perhaps after the great success of this KS, publishers will have a renewed interest on them.
Hopefully the SP game will be great and they'll get some more money/profile from that. And there's the possibility of DLC for that game for future workload.

Maaaan I need news for Stick Of Truth.

PaulLFC

I can't wait for this. Going to play through all the games in the DnD Master Collection (or as many as I can get through) to prepare.

I did try to install the widescreen mod for BG2 and set it to 1920x1080, but running it it didn't change the resolution. That was right before I went to bed though and I didn't check the in-game options - do I need to set the resolution there too? Or did I do something wrong when applying the widescreen patch?

Torraz

NWN 2 is going to stay on steam for the people who bought it right? Makes me feel better about buying it at a daily steam sale and not having installed the platinum pack yet...

Late to the after party.

Is the countdown Obsidian stream VOD available anywhere?

After all the daily updates, was there anything in regards to VA? More specifically something along the lines of the IE games with greetings, grunts, and battle cries?

Eusis

NWN 2 is going to stay on steam for the people who bought it right? Makes me feel better about buying it at a daily steam sale and not having installed the platinum pack yet...
That's usually how Steam operates. Apparently not how GameFly does though, another reason to avoid non-Steam purchases there. The console holders each recognize how much it sucks to have a game you bought pulled and be unable to download it again and have taken precautions there, but D2D/GameFly failed to and I imagine there's others that are in a similar position.

PaulLFC

That's usually how Steam operates. Apparently not how GameFly does though, another reason to avoid non-Steam purchases there. The console holders each recognize how much it sucks to have a game you bought pulled and be unable to download it again and have taken precautions there, but D2D/GameFly failed to and I imagine there's others that are in a similar position.
Did they refund everyone affected by that? I only bought a couple of games and they weren't removed, but for people who it affected they should get their money back if Gamefly won't pay to provide the games to them.

Eusis

Did they refund everyone affected by that? I only bought a couple of games and they weren't removed, but for people who it affected they should get their money back if Gamefly won't pay to provide the games to them.
I don't recall that happening, no, and this was different in that they put the game back up for download... only to pull it again when Hasbro was pulling back the D&D rights from Atari I believe. I understand not being able to sell it, and that's Hasbro's problem anyway, but not letting those who bought it redownload is a dick move. But like I said keys are there last I checked, so I recommend anyone grab and save them.

RJT

My initial payment was refused (probably due to expiration date of the credit card), but I thankfully KS allows to change CC information. I am now officially of backer of Project Eternity. Feels good!

Tankshell

Guys, have been an RPG fan ever since I started gaming (Dungeon Keeper on Amiga FTW)... but have never given any isometric PC RPGs (BG etc.) a go for some reason, should I be excited for this game?

Not sure whey they never appeal to me as much as the full 3d or old school top down RPGs.

Maybe this game will change my mind.

Eusis

What we need is NWN2 complete with Mysteries of Westgate to come to GOG. It will happen at some point, as GOG is the only place still selling the D&D games.
Yeah, if they get NWN2 then it's a complete non-issue. But there, archive, never ever worry.

wrowa

Guys, have been an RPG fan ever since I started gaming (Dungeon Keeper on Amiga FTW)... but have never given any isometric PC RPGs (BG etc.) a go for some reason, should I be excited for this game?

Not sure whey they never appeal to me as much as the full 3d or old school top down RPGs.

Maybe you should start playing Fallout, Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape: Torment instead. :p

RJT

Go here, buy BG2 for 10 bucks, take the time to install the widescreen and higher resolution mods, and play the game untill you are exploring a huge city. Make sure you pause a lot during the battles (just press the space bar) and approach them tactically.

If that doesn't do anything for ya, no, you shouldn't be excited for this game.

i know opinions and all but NWN1 is a bad idea. Its nothing like the IE games.

I disagree.

I think it's a good starting point for new players, who might otherwise be repelled by the relatively complicated 2D look of BG/Icewindale/Planescape

Install and play NWN1, NWN1: Shadows of Undrentide, and NWN1:Hordes of the Underdark. Install and play NWN2, and NWN2:Mask of the Betrayer (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PLAY THE SECOND NWN2 EXPANSION).
Then go back and revel in the D&D nostalgia that is Baldursgate 1 and 2, Icewinddale, and Planescape Torment.

I disagree.

I think it's a good starting point for new players, who might otherwise be repelled by the relatively complicated 2D look of BG/Icewindale/Planescape

Install and play NWN1, NWN1: Shadows of Undrentide, and NWN1:Hordes of the Underdark. Install and play NWN2, and NWN2:Mask of the Betrayer (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PLAY THE SECOND NWN2 EXPANSION).
Then go back and revel in the D&D nostalgia that is Baldursgate 1 and 2, Icewinddale, and Planescape Torment.

But you won't get much of the party based gameplay, that is at the core of all the other games, out of NWN1 .

If I had to play one game such as Planescape, BG, NWN etc. what would it be? I've never really had a chance to get into them before but seeing this kickstarter makes me realize I've missed out on a whole genre/subset of games.

dionysus

Yaldog
If I had to play one game such as Planescape, BG, NWN etc. what would it be? I've never really had a chance to get into them before but seeing this kickstarter makes me realize I've missed out on a whole genre/subset of games.

Do you like dialogue fights or sword and sorcery fights?

Violet_0

Banned
(DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PLAY THE SECOND NWN2 EXPANSION).

Storm of Zehir is not a bad game, although it does feel very low-budget. It's certainly more enjoyable than NWN1, Shadow of Undrentide and arguably Hordes of Underdark (which I don't like, controversial opinion) and at least on par with (I'd say better than) the NWN2 base game.

Kurtofan

Question about the KOTOR2 restored content on steam:

I installed it on Steamapp/common/Kotor2 and it doesn't seem to work.
The ReadMe says a "1.8" should appear in the upper right corner but nothing comes up.

dude

dude

BG2. It's probably the best game to get you into the Infinity Engine.

Patryn

I disagree.

What's your problem with Storm of Zehir? It does some interesting things blending some JRPG mechanics with a WRPG.

Lumine

It depends on what kind of gameplay you prefer and how well you like or can tolerate older games. I would say Planescape: Torment if you're mostly interested in dialogue and you'd like to visit a unique world. Baldur's Gate 2 if you simply want to play one of the best and largest RPG's out there. Perhaps Icewind Dale if you purely want something combat focused. However if you have a hard time getting into them, which is understandable, you might want to try something similar but much lighter first, like Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic.

PaulLFC

Go here, buy BG2 for 10 bucks, take the time to install the widescreen and higher resolution mods, and play the game untill you are exploring a huge city. Make sure you pause a lot during the battles (just press the space bar) and approach them tactically.

If that doesn't do anything for ya, no, you shouldn't be excited for this game.
The widescreen mod didn't work for me :( It said it installed successfully but the game just started in the original resolution.

uncdeez

I disagree.

I have to ask, were you very young and very impressionable when you first played NWN? I'm not trying to be condescending here, I really just cannot understand how someone can love this game. The only explanation I can come up with is that you have some sort of youthful nostalgia coloring your opinion of the game.

Oh and FWIW, the only thing the BG games and NWN1 have in common are the developer and the intellectual property. There's really no tactical combat options in NWN, you don't have a party to control--just a henchman with a terrible ai routine that you end up battling as well.

If someone was looking for a very lite Baldur's Gate type of experience, I'd recommend KotOR before NWN. In spite of the differences in ruleset, franchise setting and difficulty, KotOR at least isn't a complete pile of shit that will drive people away from these types of games.

Patryn

Wasn't NWN's campaign a late addition to the game? As I recall, Bioware simply wanted to release the creation tools, but the publisher asked that a campaign be added, which explains why it feels very half-assed.

Gunsmithx

Only a part of the company will be working on Project Eternity (like 25-30 people out of 100 if I'm not mistaken). The other part is working on the South Park game I assume. When that's done, who knows what will happen. Even when PE turns out to be a great success, will they be able to keep 100 people employed?

Maybe they could do what double fine did? like 4 smaller teams working on lower budget games, stuff like PE or something smaller scale.

Wasn't NWN's campaign a late addition to the game? As I recall, Bioware simply wanted to release the creation tools, but the publisher asked that a campaign be added, which explains why it feels very half-assed.
I recall reading something a while back about NWN's campaign being almost completely different at one point and they had to make big changes, which is why it was the way it was. It was an interesting read, I'll try to find it.

Leckan

1. How and when will I be able to get a confirmation on the expansion that I paid for?

2 Will they increase the dev time to 24+ months now that they got all these extra goals included.
Personally that's fine for me if that's what's needed. We've all seen the results of Obsidian games being rushed and it seems totally unnecessary now without publishers breathing down their necks.

uncdeez

That would certainly explain why the campaign was so awful. It still baffles my mind that they could go from the amazing campaign in Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal to the campaign in NWN.

NWN is the worst BioWare game I've played(disclaimer: I've never played the Sonic RPG, Mass Effect 3, or their first game (Shattered Steel?)), I think it's even worse than Dragon Age II.

Violet_0

Banned
1. How and when will I be able to get a confirmation on the expansion that I paid for?

2 Will they increase the dev time to 24+ months now that they got all these extra goals included.
Personally that's fine for me if that's what's needed. We've all seen the results of Obsidian games being rushed and it seems totally unnecessary now without publishers breathing down their necks.

1. they'll send you an email to confirm which reward you want

2. I'm pretty sure Avellone mentioned somewhere that they might have to push back the release date

kami_sama

I'm patching the files of BG2. And one mod lets me play the first one on the second's engine.
Is it worth it? Also, it's like this, right?: BG -> BG:TSC -> BG2 -> BG2:TOB

Patryn

I'm patching the files of BG2. And one mod lets me play the first one on the second's engine.
Is it worth it?
Also, it's like this, right?: BG -> BG:TSC -> BG2 -> BG2:TOB

YES. Seriously, there is no reason not to do it. There are tons of UI enhancements in BG2 that make BG1 much easier and better, and it's foolish not to take advantage of them. You also gain access to kits, which is helpful if you want to take advantage of the full class choices that BG2 had and use the same character across the entire series.

Really the only reason not to do it is to have a "pure" experience.

Also, BG:TSC is actually designed to be played towards the end of BG.

So the real order is something like this:

First 3/4 of BG -> BG:TSC -> Last 1/4 of BG -> BG2 -> BG2:TOB.

dude

dude

Some will tell you otherwise, but in my opinion - No. BG1 is a good game, but its aging is not due to technology, it's more about the design itself. The characters are dull, the reactivity is pretty low and the dialogues and quests are not as well made.
BG2 refined all these elements, and is a much better game in any way thinkable.

Unless you have a lot of time to burn, just jump straight to BG2. There's no real reason to go through the whole of BG1 when you have BG2.

I want to wait for the remaster of BGII, when is that coming?

Supposedly soon, there's nothing concrete as far as I know. But BG:EE doesn't look that good to be honest, the new content is either freely available as mods or look terrible (like the new characters), so I don't have high hopes. I would just jump on right now, the game did not age bad at all.

Patryn

Some will tell you otherwise, but in my opinion - No. BG1 is a good game, but its aging is not due to technology, it's more about the design itself. The characters are dull, the reactivity is pretty low and the dialogues and quests are not as well made.
BG2 refined all these elements, and is a much better game in any way thinkable.

Hi. I'm here to tell you otherwise: BG1 is definitely worth playing through. BG1 has a much greater feeling of exploration, and early-level D&D can be wonderfully stressful as battles can swing much quicker.

It also can't be forgotten that the entire BG series is telling one long story with the same characters. After all, you can import your BG1 character into BG2 and they'll keep all their levels and skills they had.

Yes, that mod that let's you play BG1 in BG2's engine is worth it. As far as order goes, BG1 and its expansion Tales of the Sword Coast can be played together. Tales of the Sword Coast adds more content to the base game. BG2's expansion, Throne of Bhaal, basically acts as a final chapter to everything, basically a sequel to BG2.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I disagree.

NWN 1 is nothing like the IE games. Its as simple as that.

dude

dude
Hi. I'm here to tell you otherwise: BG1 is definitely worth playing through. BG1 has a much greater feeling of exploration, and early-level D&D can be wonderfully stressful as battles can swing much quicker.

It also can't be forgotten that the entire BG series is telling one long story with the same characters. After all, you can import your BG1 character into BG2 and they'll keep all their levels and skills they had.

Personally. I hate early-level D&D, it leads to broken gameplay. A Mage in BG1 is pretty worthless throughout the game. At one point you get, like, fireball for once a day. Not to mention the fact you can literally be killed with one hit for a portion of the game (depending on the class you play.)
But I won't deny BG1 has charm, and I think it is a game that should be played if you like these sort of games. My point was that there's no reason to start with it, since it's just not as good as the second, for many many reasons, and doesn't necessarily showcases the strengths of these games in the best way. BG2, for someone who never played an IE game, is a much better entry.

And you can understand the story pretty easily even if you start with BG2. just think of the first game as a prequel.

Patryn

Personally. I hate early-level D&D, it leads to broken gameplay. A Mage in BG1 is pretty worthless throughout the game. At one point you get, like, fireball for once a day. Not to mention the fact you can literally be killed with one hit for a portion of the game (depending on the class you play.)
But I won't deny BG1 has charm, and I think it is a game that should be played if you like these sort of games. My point was that there's no reason to start with it, since it's just not as good as the second for many many reasons and doesn't necessarily showcases the strengths of these games in the best way. BG2, for someone who never played an IE game, is a much better entry to these games.

And you can understand the story pretty easily even if you start with BG2. I like to recommend to people to play BG1 after the second and then just think of it as a prequel.

My point is that it's best to start with it, because after playing it you'll appreciate the stuff in BG2 all the more, and you'll get the slow ramp of learning your character instead of being thrown into a situation where you have a ton of skills you don't know how to use.

I also appreciate the fact that mages are glass cannons, because it makes things much more strategic. Mages tend to be way overpowered in most games (including late-game BG2), so it's nice to see the opposite being true.

Top Bottom