• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
OMGOMGOMG i just heard about this.

Probably not going pledge anything till the end. But I'm so HYPED for this.

Zeliard

Reading the Gamebanshee interview i have a feeling about this game. Like this quote right here..

This right here is what i want to read.

Just having J.E. Sawyer and Tim Cain on board to lead the charge on combat mechanics is exciting enough. Then with Chris Avellone writing characters and dialogue, you've got yourself a dream team.

Feels like this is a good time to post Tim Cain's excellent Fallout post-mortem again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4

What I don't get is why is Obsidian making a pure fantasy game, completely unshackled. Seems like the type of game they don't want to make.

Lighter and cliched forms of high fantasy fare is what they wouldn't want to make. Torment and MotB could be described as "pure fantasy," in that they don't particularly fall into any hybrids or subgenres like Arcanum does with its heavy steampunk influence.

What I don't get is why is Obsidian making a pure fantasy game, completely unshackled. Seems like the type of game they don't want to make.
But its pure fantasy not inhibited by any licensing or publisher's demands. I'm more than ok with that and I'm sure Obsidian will make it more than just a generic fantasy setting.

Blackheim

MMM! I want to throw at least $140 at Obsidian, hell I wish I could give them a lot more actually. Have to make sure I can after I pay car insurance, stupid bills!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just having J.E. Sawyer and Tim Cain on board to lead the charge on combat mechanics is exciting enough. Then with Chris Avellone writing characters and dialogue, you've got yourself a dream team.

Feels like this is a good time to post Tim Cain's excellent Fallout post-mortem again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5IzHhAdi4
This could be the game. The one to really set their destiny as an independent developer. Their tech, their world, their rpg system, their characters. Like you said they have the dream team.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
They should make the first stretch goal "hire people to perform QA on the game". Maybe if they build a strong testing team now, future obsidian games will be playtested, too!

Sigh...it's not the QA or the people doing the QA...

Why do people keep putting blame on the testers? They often find these bugs, but it's up to the devs to fix it. Or, they fix the bug and it causes another bug, and since people are human, there will always be bugs. They do have a deadline to release the game that they need to meet.

edit: anyways, this is the first and maybe only game I will kickstart. I love these guys and fuck the haters who shat on Alpha Protocol!

Llyranor

Ok, crap. Now I've been thinking too much about this dumb NPC idea. I've never spent this much one a single game before. Then again, dream RPG team with Avellone, Sawyer and Cain. I'm so torn :( I'm trying to talk myself out of it, haha :(

zkylon

zkylewd
They like to turn tropes on their feet, like they did with Torment, so I feel like pure fantasy is just a starting point for them. But yeah, I'm not all that excited about that as I would about anything just all new.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You can put my face on the cake.

Silly billie, ur not a cake!

Okay, so the cake will be a rectangular cake, with the logo on the left with NeoGAF on to the right. The text underneath will say "We believe in Eternity." The piping on the edge will alternate orange and white.

Anything else? Besides the coffee from NichM and the pictures?

Llyranor

Also, I wonder if George Ziets is on this project or not.

Silly billie, ur not a cake!

Okay, so the cake will be a rectangular cake, with the logo on the left with NeoGAF on to the right. The text underneath will say "We believe in Eternity." The piping on the edge will alternate orange and white.

Anything else? Besides the coffee from NichM and the pictures?
Put a 'Marry me, Avellone! - Llyranor ~~' note.

Holy crap and kudos to all the awesomely generous people throwing big bucks at this game.

oxcgn-metal-gear-11.jpg

Ugh. I want to throw money at them right now but I have some bills to pay. Maybe next week's paycheck? I don't mind paying an extra 5$ to secure my digital copy :) This sounds amazing though!

Sharp

Ugh. I want to throw money at them right now but I have some bills to pay. Maybe next week's paycheck? I don't mind paying an extra 5$ to secure my digital copy :) This sounds amazing though!
You won't be charged until the end of the kickstarter.

epmode

I kinda want to go out and buy Black Isle's back catalog now. Would this deal on GOG be a good pickup? How have the games aged?

With the widescreen mod and a few convenience tweaks, the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Torment) have aged incredibly well. It helps to read a primer on AD&D's 2nd Edition though, since some stuff is handled very differently than typical RPGs.

Grayman

I'm in. Might go to the higher tiers with cloth maps and things based on my finances. I already gave 200 to wasteland because Chris Avellone joined on at a stretch goal.

PFD

Planetary Annihilation, and now this. Only kickstarters I've backed. Looking forward to their releases.

AColdDay

I wish I had enough to get into the "Create an NPC" tier. I would create a Vinny Caravella-style wizard. I actually wish I could create 5 characters and put the GB crew in this game.

Derrick01

Banned
I know. Reading, in an RPG? What?!?

Yeah it's been a while. I usually turn subtitles on in games but I don't have to worry too much about taking time to read them since the voice work kind of fills it in for me. I only turn them on in case I don't understand someone that well.

HP_Wuvcraft said:
Wait, Derrick01 is over 14? Is this something I didn't know about before, but everyone else did?

I'm 25...

FoeHammer

I'd rather them do a kickstarter to hire better programmers and/or testers but oh well I'm in. They do have great writing team so I feel the cash is worth it; I just hate that their games are almost completely amazing except that they are such buggy pieces of shit for the most part.

Top Bottom