• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its slowed down quite a bit. About 400k now needed for the goal. Im thinking Sat-Sun for the goal reach. More, interesting goals though could make things speed up. Also that last minute push should be sweet.

Irobot82

I plunked down my $35. I wanted more than just a digital copy. Well, I really want a cloth map, but I don't have $140. Maybe they'll sell them individually.

volturnus

Banned
My hopes for stretch goals:
1,3 million: Mac/Linux ports
1,7 million: composer and orchestra hired
2 million: toolkit
2,5 million: Mark Hamill, Nolan North, Elias Toufexis, et al. voicing the game

kase23

It seems like it was only last weekend when fargo announced the wasteland 2 kickstarter, Holy smokes has this year been full of surprises :D
Dropped $160 , had to cancel my borderlands 2 pre-order but meh, its not like it'll never go sale.

Remmy2112

Well I pledged 20 dollars. May pledge more later if stretch goals are good. Looking forward to Obsidian/Black Isle getting back to their roots. Screw you Interplay resurrection of Black Isle-in-name-only!

pa22word

If it's running on Onyx then I think mac support is a dead end as I don't think it supports anything but windows. Before you you WL2 the big difference between this and WL2 is that inExile went shopping for an engine to do the job after the fact, while Obsidian already has the tools available to build the game already.

O.DOGG

I'll try to go another $40 deeper for the Collector's Edition but I don't know if I'll be able to make it yet. So excited about this.

Not sure if you mean that's early or too long but either way it should definitely be worth it.

Long. Are you guys confident Obsidian as a company can even stay afloat that long? Werent they in serious trouble just earlier this year? What do they have to keep themin business after South Park ships?

Dang, this thing is gonna reach its goal before I wake up tomorrow, isn't it? And half of the $20 tier is already taken. I guess I need to go get my wallet soon...

I dont understand what a million bucks can do.

That's what, 10 guys salary for a year (after you add in taxes, healthcare, and everything else) if you're lucky? Can 10 guys make a good, deep RPG game in a year?

That's what, 10 guys salary for a year (after you add in taxes, healthcare, and everything else) if you're lucky? Can 10 guys make a good, deep RPG game in a year?

Are you saying a million dollars isn't cool? Apparently Tim Cain is able to make people work for free.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

3 million bucks is the price of making isometric turn-based RPG in 2 years. Source: Larian Studios and some other people.

They will get it this way or another.

volturnus

Banned
I probably depends on time and team size as well. This is a small team already used to finishing games in tight schedules.
But yeah, one can see things are not going very well over there, since they're not being part of Kicking it Forward as a way of maximizing funds, I believe.

peakish

Went to sleep, woke up to three quarters of a million funded. Wow. Glad to see that they don't have too much physical stuff as tiers to sink money into after everything's done.

I'm still thinking about contributing or not, probably will after this months wage arrives. God speed to them anyway.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Done and done. The only thing of course, is waiting for 2014.

That's my only issue.

I'm going to back this, pay up come October and then forget about the whole thing, before getting all hyped up in 2014, and then realising I've already bought the game. Not an entirely bad thing actually!

szaromir

Banned

They will work for less with the prospect of sharing revenues (which would traditionally go to the publisher).

Damn I want to back this but haven't played a pc game in ages and there is no way I could afford one really. i wish them all the best though.

Lingitiz

With the widescreen mod and a few convenience tweaks, the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Torment) have aged incredibly well. It helps to read a primer on AD&D's 2nd Edition though, since some stuff is handled very differently than typical RPGs.

Alright sounds good, about to buy the pack then right after I put some money into the KS. My body is ready for a lifetime's worth of RPGs.

EDarkness

I was just looking at their page and I would definitely put down some cash if there was a Mac version. If they manage to get it done, then I'll definitely jump in.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's a little bit scary that they have almost reached their admittedly large funding amount in such a short amount of time.

I am a part of the solution.

maus

It's a little bit scary that they have almost reached their admittedly large funding amount in such a short amount of time.

I am a part of the solution.

It's pretty insane. I can't imagine the weird rush of emotions these devs must feel upon realizing that all the passion projects chalked up as unfeasible in today's market are actually completely doable with this model of funding.

It must be a mix of excitement, anxiety, and embarrassment that they hadn't thought of it sooner.

robin2

Alright sounds good, about to buy the pack then right after I put some money into the KS. My body is ready for a lifetime's worth of RPGs.
I wouldn't rely too much on the widescreen mod. I started a game (BG1 gog version) using it and it was very unstable, crashing repeatedly.

The problem is that without it the game "frame" is really tiny, the resolution alone is low and interface eats up A LOT of space. If you're really excited you should/could take a look a the enhanced edition that comes out shortly; it costs a lot more I know but it could worth the price difference.

Top Bottom