• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
looks interesting. Will they limit the number of times you can rest per day? I mean I rested after every battle in BGII so I spend like 2 weeks escaping from the first dungeon which is ridiculous.

Watched the video. It sounds like they're really getting into the nitty gritty of the battle system. They're really taking the D&D stuff to heart, and it shows.

injurai

Banned
The amount of care I've seen them put into this game from updates alone has me ecstatic. I'm sure this goes on with lots of games (deusextranscript.jpg) but knowing also that this is obsidian behind it... squeee.jpg

If the number of backers is anything to say about it's popularity I hope it sells like a wildfire. I want this to be a start of a strong new IP.

DTKT

The amount of care I've seen them put into this game from updates alone has me ecstatic. I'm sure this goes on with lots of games (deusextranscript.jpg) but knowing also that this is obsidian behind it... squeee.jpg

If the number of backers is anything to say about it's popularity I hope it sells like a wildfire. I want this to be a start of a strong new IP.

That's the true test for every single Kickstarter project. If DoubleFine Adventure, Wasteland or Eternity fails to sell a good amount of copies, then Kickstarter was just a one time deal and not a sustainable model.

Leckan

When will you get information on the expansion. I'm not talking about content but rather a confirmation of purchase since I payed $20 extra for it.

injurai

Banned

Awesome stuff, I really do like how they are moving their design direction if this is anything to show of it.

orlan.jpg

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Ziets said:
So what was her story? According to her followers, she had once claimed rulership over all the other gods. But if that was true, she was cast down in the far distant past. Among the other gods, she has no real allies, believing that all the gods owe her fealty. She claims the portfolios of law, rightful rulership, memory, and vengeance. And she manifests in the world as the Strangler, a leathery-skinned old woman, always clad in tattered finery, who appears on an empty road or abandoned alleyway to murder those who break a solemn oath.

The art's an improvement and all, but this sort of world-building stuff was what I wanted from Obsidian.

subversus

The art's an improvement and all, but this sort of world-building stuffed was what I wanted from Obsidian.

this is the first time since the beginning of this kickstarter when I felt that we could lose something really good if the project hasn't been funded. I wonder how many good pitches and ideas got buried on meetings with publishers.

Also this is the best updated KS along with DF Adventure. Weekly updates, I feel like I'm almost participating in development. Frankly speaking it should be mandatory with all kickstarters. Backers have the right to know what you were doing all this week.

zkylon

zkylewd
this is the first time since the beginning of this kickstarter when I felt that we could lose something really good if the project hasn't been funded. I wonder how many good pitches and ideas got buried on meetings with publishers.

Also this is the best updated KS along with DF Adventure. Weekly updates, I feel like I'm almost participating in development. Frankly speaking it should be mandatory with all kickstarters. Backers have the right to know what you were doing all this week.
I imagine PE's specially fruitful for updates because we're seeing the world come into shape as they build it, and because Obsidian really seems to go into the nitty gritty and think everything up.

Really these updates bring to shape any Making Ofs ever, I'm glad the "watch how the sausage's made" wasn't just marketing, even if we get to see the darker side, like in recent DFA episodes.

kmag

The updates for this have been excellent, they've also been pretty reactive to constructive criticism of some of the proposed mechanics. At the very least, you can see the effort they're putting in to some of the base mechanics. The new art is nice as well.

The Orlan art looks great. I didn't have a huge problem with those sort of ugly black and white designs either, since I bet if you took those characters and painted them in color and placed them in an atmospheric environment like this Orlan guy, they'd immediately look a lot better too.

subversus

now this was a really interesting update. I've always wondered if devs model a separate piece of the same armor for every complexion and it seems that Obsidian managed to circumvent this.

One of the goals in preproduction was to figure out how we could make character modeling pipeline be as efficient as possible. The problem is fairly complex: All of the six playable races, human, elf, dwarf, aumaua, orlan, and the god-like can wear armor, boots, gloves, helmets (...well, some have trouble wearing helmets, but we will talk about that some other day...) and have other options that the player can customize like facial hair, hair style and skin color. We also have tons of armor variations and types of armor, like plate, brigandine, leather, and mail. (Josh loves his armor). Ideally, our artist would only need to model one armor piece - let's say plate body armor - and have it fit all six of our playable races even if the races are all of different proportions and body structure. At the end of the day the same model for plate armor could fit a slender four-foot-tall orlan and a bur ly seven-foot-tall aumaua. The goal for January was to build a system to allow us to do this very thing.

During January, we've developed a new system to allow our human bipedal skeleton to be shaped and morphed into the other playable races and have armor be shaped and morphed along with the skeleton. The character modelers have fine control over the proportions of the races, and only need to model armor pieces once and not six times over. In preproduction we look at developing systems like this. It may cost us time up front, but will save us hundreds of hours down the road in production. The dwarf ended up being our first test case, and now we have dwarves as playable races working in game.

edit: also lol @ repeating the paragraph 3 times.

DTKT

I wonder how they are going to break down armor pieces. I'd like to see something like:

Head
Chest
Pants
Belt
Gloves
Boots

Maybe capes too, but it might be hard modelling those. I better be able to look like a god damn paladin in full plate armor with a closed helm.

dude

dude
I wonder how they are going to break down armor pieces. I'd like to see something like:

Head
Chest
Pants
Belt
Gloves
Boots

Maybe capes too, but it might be hard modelling those. I better be able to look like a god damn paladin in full plate armor with a closed helm.

I liked the way it was in BG2, which is sort of like what you said minus the pants and plus ring slots.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
woah, just found out about this. this looks like it's going to be amazing. i'm still trying to wrap my head around how avellone and schafer leveraged their reputations on kickstarter. and now we get to benefit from it.

zkylon

zkylewd
woah, just found out about this. this looks like it's going to be amazing. i'm still trying to wrap my head around how avellone and schafer leveraged their reputations on kickstarter. and now we get to benefit from it.
That must've been some rock you've been living under.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That must've been some rock you've been living under.

there's a lot more going on in life than video game releases.

been going through the stretch goals that were met, and this thing is going to be excellent: orchestrated music? player houses!

Top Bottom