• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh man, is anyone not going to roll Godlike?
Really, I mean...

pe-godlike-head-concepts.jpg

Who would want to be human?

Oh man, is anyone not going to roll Godlike?

Who would want to be human?

In-game lore will have an effect no doubt; there will be people who maybe want to roll characters that aren't associated with the dubious god league thing that they're setting up. They mention how mixed the views are on the God-like in the fiction, and I think that will translate to the playerbase as well.

I like the idea of playing a normal human person in this crazy world of half-men and godlings...
but might just as easily roll a Godlike Cipher, heh!

DTKT

So, reading a bit on Forward and Inverse kinematics, I'm not quite sure I grasp the two concepts.

Forward : Every movement is done by hand and there is no calculations or "automation" based on joints, bones or anything else. You have much more control over the animation, but it's much more tedious and time consuming.

Inverse : You set a final destination(or do you you simply move the bone?) for a bone and it's going to try to move the rig in such a way that the the bones ends up where you want it? IE: Move the middle finger bone and based on the rest of the joints/bones it's going to try to make adapt the entire rig to the movement? I'm guessing that's not a miracle solution and doesn't actually work all the time.

Varna

I will be rolling human. Always love role-playing that normal characters that manages to beat the crap out of everyone else in one way or another.

lmpaler

What I want to know is who in the nine hells are these 5 backers who donated $10,000!?

My lord.

Also, I have always had a soft spot for Obsidian and I never knew exactly why, finding out who is at the studio makes sense as I loved all those Black Isle games from the past, KOTOR 2 etc.

What I am also curious about is why has Obsidian always taken over franchises? Not to say they are bad games or crappy developers, but aside from Alpha Protocol, which was okay, and now this game, I cannot think of a time that Obsidian was in the spotlight for a game that was their own and not a sequel to some other developers game.

Violet_0

Banned
Is there a source on that? I wasn't aware that they had ruled it out.

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/10388/article/an-interview-with-chris-avellone-on-project-eternity/
So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity - I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love... specifically, his love of manipulating others. You could build an entire dungeon and quest where he devotes himself to replicating facsimiles of love, reducer a Higher Love to a baser thing and using NPCs he encounters as puppets for his experimentations, turning something supposedly beautiful into something filthy, mechanical, but surrounded by blank-eyed soul-twisted drones echoing all the hollow Disney-like platitudes and fairy tale existence where everyone lives happily ever after.

<3 Avellone

DTKT

What I want to know is who in the nine hells are these 5 backers who donated $10,000!?

My lord.

Also, I have always had a soft spot for Obsidian and I never knew exactly why, finding out who is at the studio makes sense as I loved all those Black Isle games from the past, KOTOR 2 etc.

What I am also curious about is why has Obsidian always taken over franchises? Not to say they are bad games or crappy developers, but aside from Alpha Protocol, which was okay, and now this game, I cannot think of a time that Obsidian was in the spotlight for a game that was their own and not a sequel to some other developers game.

They are an independent developer and are dependent on outside contracts in order to actually function as a studio. So, PE is a good way to find other funds through Kickstarter but also to have a franchise they own and a direct revenue stream. They get 100% (minus the distribution costs) of the sale of one copy of PE. I just hope it's successful enough to actually let them save some money so that they can actually have some kind of "cushion" if contracts are starting to get rare.

I think they just signed something pretty big so they are safe for another year and a half or so. With South Park wrapping up, I'm glad they found something to work on. I don't even want to imagine what kind of pressure Feargus Urquhart(and his team) must deal with when trying to find contracts and pitching projects. A hundred or so people are relying on his expertise in order to work.

zkylon

zkylewd
Personally while I'm not against romance and I think Obsidian writing a non-voiced games is pretty much the best circumstances ever to make it work, it's clearly something incredibly hard to do right and if Obs doesn't feel comfortable doing it, it's prlly for the best. I actually think Bioware does some of it well, but still falls short.

Probably the only good romance I can think of in an RPG is either Deionarra in Torment and kind of MC-Alistair (at least the breakup was pretty cool in my story) and Shep-Thane in ME2 (and then it's blown to shit in ME3 by going Bioware on it).

I should play male MCs more often lol.

My lord.

Because they're a privately funded company that's never had a real hit, no matter how vastly superior their sequels may be.

Really they had their shot with Alpha Protocol and unfortunately it wasn't meant to be (for reasons both theirs and SEGA's), so unless their next Alpha Protocol is a hit they'll continue feeding on crumbs.

Labadal

Was this the first mention of Eternity as "Project Trenton/Eternity"? Where did the Trenton come from?

They name their projects internally.

Project Virginia
Project North Carolina

and so on.

_____

I'm not a huge fan of this piece of art. The design of the race is okay, I guess but it isn't doing much for me.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
They name their projects internally.

Project Virginia
Project North Carolina

and so on.

Yeah, everything they've done so far has had a codename based on the order that states joined the union, but unless I'm missing something "Trenton" doesn't fit the pattern. Was wondering if there was any significance to that.

Labadal

Yeah, everything they've done so far has had a codename based on the order that states joined the union, but unless I'm missing something "Trenton" doesn't fit the pattern. Was wondering if there was any significance to that.

Maybe all projects that have to do with Eternity will have New Jersey related names. Who knows.

dude

dude
Romance hatred is absurd. It's very hard to provide a relationship with another character that's as deep as a romance done right. Yeah, I'm sorry I can't give Avellone a free pass on everything, but I don't see how he can get me involved with a character on the same level of a romantic relationship and not make it feel forced. It's not a deal breaker, I'm not even that upset about it, but I'd much rather they make a romance option or two, preferably four with at least two same-sex options.

Anyway, new godlike seems pretty cool I guess, they could probably pull off some cool stuff with it. But I'll probably won't play one for a couple of reasons - These races tend to be overpowered and I don't like playing these sort of flashy characters who glow all over the place and are on fire. Hope to have one in my party though.

robin2

I always hated the genasi, I think the never made any sense outside very specific contexts, and they exist only for the: "I'm an overpowered-human with fiery hair, I'm so cool!!!!11!1!".

The faun-ish guy instead looks good and plausible (saved for the flowers).

Labadal

Romance hatred is absurd. It's very hard to provide a relationship with another character that's as deep as a romance done right. Yeah, I'm sorry I can't give Avellone a free pass on everything, but I don't see how he can get me involved with a character on the same level of a romantic relationship and not make it feel forced. It's not a deal breaker, I'm not even that upset about it, but I'd much rather they make a romance option or two, preferably four with at least two same-sex options.

Anyway, new godlike seems pretty cool I guess, they could probably pull off some cool stuff with it. But I'll probably won't play one for a couple of reasons - These races tend to be overpowered and I don't like playing these sort of flashy characters who glow all over the place and are on fire. Hope to have one in my party though.

I think there will be a few romances. 1 or 2 at least. I just hope that characters don't just suddenly throw themselves at you.

xenist

If they do it as a part of the story I'm OK. But gamefied Bioware style with points and meters and shit, hidden or visible, I won't like. Have a character option about sexuality during creation. Heterosexual, homosexual or uninterested and play a story according to that. The one romantic partner I really liked in the end was Morrigan in DA:O. And that was only because at the end the writers decided to go against the game mechanics which had her 100% loyal to me, write to her character and pull the rug from under me with the whole baby plan.

kmag

It's only MCA who's saying this, Josh and Adam (who are the project directors) have been non-committal but slightly more positive. Still think they should have made it as a stretch goal and if they don't think they can do without resorting to modern Bioware any sort any sort of positive comment about an NPC has them humping your leg, then make a romance possible menu option for those people who like that sort of thing. Hopefully, if they do choose to do it they go down a BG2 style route (although more Jahiera and less whiny wingless winged elf)

Violet_0

Banned
Since we're talking about portraits here, I don't see why other races' portraits won't look better. Besides, that smile is off-putting.

well, that picture isn't so great. I always liked the Water Genasi the best
Water_genasi.jpg
49753.jpg

besides, Genasi are actually descends of elemtental races such as djinns, efreeti and so on. The Aasimar in the second picture are the ones that have celestial ancestors

injurai

Banned
well, that picture isn't so great. I always liked the Water Genasi the best
Water_genasi.jpg
49753.jpg

besides, Genasi are actually descends of elemtental races such as djinns, efreeti and so on. The Aasimar in the second picture are the ones that have celestial ancestors

is this PE concept art?

dude

dude
If they do it as a part of the story I'm OK. But gamefied Bioware style with points and meters and shit, hidden or visible, I won't like. Have a character option about sexuality during creation. Heterosexual, homosexual or uninterested and play a story according to that. The one romantic partner I really liked in the end was Morrigan in DA:O. And that was only because at the end the writers decided to go against the game mechanics which had her 100% loyal to me, write to her character and pull the rug from under me with the whole baby plan.

I was against any sort of metric when it comes to dialogues and companions for much earlier in the thread :)
I want the romances to be much like what we had in bg2, only... better. They were mostly a natural extension of the relationship with the character, and almost not about sex at all (there were very few instances of explicit sex, and they were very well done.) I want something like that, but with more flexibility, more options and better executed (less buggy, for example.)

It's only MCA who's saying this, Josh and Adam (who are the project directors) have been non-committal but slightly more positive. Still think they should have made it as a stretch goal and if they don't think they can do without resorting to modern Bioware any sort any sort of positive comment about an NPC has them humping your leg, then make a romance possible menu option for those people who like that sort of thing. Hopefully, if they do choose to do it they go down a BG2 style route (although more Jahiera and less whiny wingless winged elf)
I have a feeling they'll include romancing in the end. And Aerie was cute, leave Aerie alone :(
Yeah, she was a total waifu character, but she wasn't completely annoying and her romance was quite heartwarming and sweet all in all. Also, Viconia > Jaheira.

injurai

Banned

I'm pretty sure Josh was the one elaborating on the reasons behind not including them into the game, and that they would have to have a really crop up during development to pursue such a thing.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's no DiTerlizzi, but it's pretty damn good.

I only wish there was some way to 'import', if you will, a portrait from the old Planescape books in; but that's probably the dream of a madman.

lmpaler

I think one of them is Evilore. I know he's in at the 5000 level at least

Well go him. Maybe he will be a boss or something lol.

They are an independent developer and are dependent on outside contracts in order to actually function as a studio. So, PE is a good way to find other funds through Kickstarter but also to have a franchise they own and a direct revenue stream. They get 100% (minus the distribution costs) of the sale of one copy of PE. I just hope it's successful enough to actually let them save some money so that they can actually have some kind of "cushion" if contracts are starting to get rare.

I think they just signed something pretty big so they are safe for another year and a half or so. With South Park wrapping up, I'm glad they found something to work on. I don't even want to imagine what kind of pressure Feargus Urquhart(and his team) must deal with when trying to find contracts and pitching projects. A hundred or so people are relying on his expertise in order to work.

Personally while I'm not against romance and I think Obsidian writing a non-voiced games is pretty much the best circumstances ever to make it work, it's clearly something incredibly hard to do right and if Obs doesn't feel comfortable doing it, it's prlly for the best. I actually think Bioware does some of it well, but still falls short.

Probably the only good romance I can think of in an RPG is either Deionarra in Torment and kind of MC-Alistair (at least the breakup was pretty cool in my story) and Shep-Thane in ME2 (and then it's blown to shit in ME3 by going Bioware on it).

I should play male MCs more often lol.

Because they're a privately funded company that's never had a real hit, no matter how vastly superior their sequels may be.

Really they had their shot with Alpha Protocol and unfortunately it wasn't meant to be (for reasons both theirs and SEGA's), so unless their next Alpha Protocol is a hit they'll continue feeding on crumbs.

Makes sense and I agree that their sequels are damn good

dude

dude
I much preferred the "romance" options in Planescape: Torment to any other RPG since.

PS:T's romances pales in comparison to what they did in BG2. I'm talking in terms of the actual story, but also how they built it into the game - They succeeded in making it optional but also keeping it very integrated and relevant to the story if you chose so. Really amazing work.

Top Bottom