• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

DTKT

Backed. I'm curious why Obsidian and the other well known devs choose to go through kickstarter 5 per cent is a decent chunk of money, if they reach something like 5 million they can pay the salary of 3 or 4 more people. I understand amazon payments is necessary but unless you're an unknown indie I don't see the point of going through the kickstarter website.

Exposure after Double Fines kickstarter. Also, Kickstarter provides the framework for payments, rewards, tracking and most of the "administrative stuff".

Miletius

Exposure after Double Fines kickstarter. Also, Kickstarter provides the framework for payments, rewards, tracking and most of the "administrative stuff".

In addition, while Obsidian is well known among CRPG fans and hardcore gamers, it is not as well known among a wider audience. Kickstarter lends credibility to the project in and potentially attracts other donors, unlike a paypal box on a website.

Only 30k to 1.1 million. Will hit it easily today, it seems.

I need some stretch goals right now.

For anyone curious, there is a diamonds of D&D sale at GOG right now. You can get all the classics for as low as 3.49. Basically get 9 games for 30$. Icewind, Baldurs, Planescape and others.

Here

cool thanks...

CXScW.png

oh.

Fjordson

I'm confident Wasteland 2, this game, and Dead State will turn out to be really good. It all depends where your expectations will be I guess. I think it'd be a mistake to expect any of these to come out and be all time classics just because we put so much money into them (the first 2 especially since those got in the millions of dollars range). But I have no doubt they'll all be fun.
Those two games indeed sound awesome.

Avellone and co. must be so psyched. They're going to be helping out on Wasteland and make this since it'll clearly blow past the required funding. Must be refreshing.

And I have to mention Shadowrun Returns. Pretty hyped for that.

TCRS

Banned
Only $18000 to go. Never thought they'd be able to raise that much money, especially not that quick.

edit:
$17000

~Kinggi~

Banned
Perfect scenario would be:

Their Eternity game sells a lot --> they have money to self-fund new games --> long run of good games.

Same with inXile and Wasteland 2.

That really is the incentive to actually put effort into making these games good, and not just cashing in on the kickstarter funding to stay working. All that money from a good game selling becomes pure profit.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I really hope this will make Bioware change their decision on making all their RPG franchise into semi-action game with minimal player choices except for romance and alignment -.-.

Dresden

I really hope this will make Bioware change their decision on making all their RPG franchise into semi-action game with minimal player choices except for romance and alignment -.-.

The success of DA:O didn't convince them of that. With EA behind them that'll never happen. Bioware is dead (to me).

It won't. Those games make way more than what this game will ever hope to.

Plus, BioWare has to answer to EA, who has to answer to shareholders. Obsidian is a private company (I think?) that has the ability to make a new IP, let alone use Kickstarter.

It's like if you compared BioWare to Valve. You can't. Two entirely different situations.

Backed. I'm curious why Obsidian and the other well known devs choose to go through kickstarter 5 per cent is a decent chunk of money, if they reach something like 5 million they can pay the salary of 3 or 4 more people. I understand amazon payments is necessary but unless you're an unknown indie I don't see the point of going through the kickstarter website.

It will probably just take the initiative for someone to set this up themselves and provide a framework for projects big enough to benefit significantly from bypassing KS's cut.

edit: w00t

Top Bottom