• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

duckroll

Wait, wait, waaaait a minute... Sawyer's the Lonesome Drifter??

He's the singing voice, not the character voice. They needed to record the songs when the quest was done, but they didn't have time to cast or something, and most of the other recording was done, so he just did it himself.

Ceebs

lets what they stretch for

mod tools, new area x, maybe a side quest line interwoven through the whole game.

Mod tools has to be one of them right? I mean we sure as hell are not getting anything close to NWN/NWN2 again any time soon (thanks Atari for fucking wasting the D&D IP on MMOs and hack and slash games)

TrutaS

It's like we went to the doors of corporates in the industry and threw eggs at their windows.

I hope this shakes things up a bit, I'm disappointed that the media coverage isn't catching up to these events (perhaps their not interested in games coming out without publishers to feed them the bribes..)

MrBud360

So the future of gaming will be Free casual games EA? Now we have kickstarter and you will be sucked!!!! Videogames can be saved......

takfuji_5411.gif

Dennis

Banned
Stretch goal of the forever: Reach 10 million and the Obsidian team will personally tell EA, Activision and Bethesda to go fuck themselves.

Grayman

Mod tools has to be one of them right? I mean we sure as hell are not getting anything close to NWN/NWN2 again any time soon (thanks Atari for fucking wasting the D&D IP on MMOs and hack and slash games)

As their staff loves playing table tops and making stories I think they want to play some user created quests in their world/engine as much as gamers do. I am having trouble finding data but something in my head is telling me that it is one of the stretch goals with a lot of traction.

Perkel

Banned
Looks like they weren't prepared to reach goal that fast.

I would love if they would add BG2 style coop including creating whole party from scratch.

Durante

Not that bad? Come on now, for someone who isn't a professional singer his voice and his singing is pretty damn good.
I think I expressed that badly, I meant it was surprisingly good. (It's a different expression in German, more like "not bad at all")

Looks like they weren't prepared to reach goal that fast.

I would love if they would add BG2 style coop including creating whole party from scratch.
That's something I really don't want, interaction with the party NPCs is half the game for me in these things. That's probably why I could never get into IWD.

Llyranor

Okay, I chickened out and pledged 250 (280) for now. I figured it's the absolute minimum pledge level I'd go for. Signed collector's box, and a physical book. The next jumps seem kinda big (220 more to get a hardcover book? 500 more from there to design a NPC). I'll wait and see the stretch goals first before caving in again.

DTKT

I think I expressed that badly, I meant it was surprisingly good. (It's a different expression in German, more like "not bad at all")

That's something I really don't want, interaction with the party NPCs is half the game for me in these things. That's probably why I could never get into IWD.

I have to agree with Durante here. I want them to focus on a smaller cast of party members so that each can have the proper amount of attention and backstory.

In fact, if they leave MP out, I would not mind. Let them craft an amazing story and great banter and companion interactions.

Jack_AG

Banned
As much as I'd love to kickstart this - I'd much rather kickstart a developer who ISN'T on their feet, already. But maybe its what I feel kickstarter should be used for - helping those who can't help themselves. Obsidian doesn't fall under that category in my eyes.

On the other hand - seeing an already-establisbed studio kickstart so they can make a game THEY want without restrictions of heavy-handed publishers is just as important as helping those who are new in the industry fund their ideas.

On my 3rd hand I'm quite sure Obsidian can craft within their own means a smaller, less ambitious title and work those profits into a larger title... into a larger title... etc - start small, etc.

On the other, other, other hand... who wouldn't just want to get lifted to the top and not have to climb that ladder?

Meh. MEH I say!

Mindlog

Okay, I chickened out and pledged 250 (280) for now. I figured it's the absolute minimum pledge level I'd go for. Signed collector's box, and a physical book. The next jumps seem kinda big (220 more to get a hardcover book? 500 more from there to design a NPC). I'll wait and see the stretch goals first before caving in again.
I've been tempted to put some more muscle behind my kick.
But I'm going to hold back.
Until the spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol.
I'm going to kick that through its chest.

Corto

That's also what I'm doing but at a lower tier. They could latter on add some intermediate tier with rewards that make the jump a bit easier to make.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I don't get paid till the end of the month, but I shall throw a few sterling their way.

I loved New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, infact New Vegas is in my top 3 games this gen.

DTKT

As much as I'd love to kickstart this - I'd much rather kickstart a developer who ISN'T on their feet, already. But maybe its what I feel kickstarter should be used for - helping those who can't help themselves. Obsidian doesn't fall under that category in my eyes.

On the other hand - seeing an already-establisbed studio kickstart so they can make a game THEY want without restrictions of heavy-handed publishers is just as important as helping those who are new in the industry fund their ideas.

On my 3rd hand I'm quite sure Obsidian can craft within their own means a smaller, less ambitious title and work those profits into a larger title... into a larger title... etc - start small, etc.

On the other, other, other hand... who wouldn't just want to get lifted to the top and not have to climb that ladder?

Meh. MEH I say!

To be honest, Obsidian is not in great shape. DS3 failed to meet expectations and they didn't make a whole lot of money after New Vegas. Right now, they have "South Park: Stick of truth" but the immediate future looked rather bleak.

I have no issue helping Obsidian stand on their own and no depend on the "goodwill" of publishers to survive. Even better, they get to make the games they want now.

Grayman

Stretch goal of the forever: Reach 10 million and the Obsidian team will personally tell EA, Activision and Bethesda to go fuck themselves.
My pledge increases.

Eventually the big 3 may notice that dragon age 1 was huge and that games less mainstream than that are driving large "pre orders" with shoe string marketing years ahead of time.

Corto

To be honest, Obsidian is not in great shape. DS3 failed to meet expectations and they didn't make a whole lot of money after New Vegas. Right now, they have "South Park: Stick of truth" but the immediate future looked rather bleak.

I have no issue helping Obsidian stand on their own and no depend on the "goodwill" of publishers to survive. Even better, they get to make the games they want now.

Even without taking into account the financial situation of Obsidian. This is the opportunity to have this company, these people, create an RPG from scratch, including story, setting, mechanics, graphics, music, everything, governed and only limited by their creative will (and the final pledge amount). This is not charity, it's patronage. We want this team to work for us, to create a world for us to play in.

Grayman

South Park is going to be a one payment and done job too regardless of the contract because THQ will be dead pretty soon. If eternity does well and has a long tail of DD sales it will not fund a studio of their size but it is going to give them some good walking around money when there are weekend deals and things.

Top Bottom