• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Since this is a relatively low budget project, what might the tech specs be like?

I want to support this. But if the game is coming out in 2014, my computer might not be able to run it.

Perkel

Banned
Since this is a relatively low budget project, what might the tech specs be like?

I want to support this. But if the game is coming out in 2014, my computer might not be able to run it.

IT will be 2D game. Sort of like Baldurs Gate. But there may be 3D elements like characters.
They said that they have something fresh and innovative to show in therms of 2D on hand so we don't really know what they mean by that. Just for comparition D2 and BG2 are 2D games but are totaly different how they approach 2D.

I think they galloped with 65$ for boxed version 55$ should be right price.

IT will be 2D game. Sort of like Baldurs Gate. But there may be 3D elements like characters.
They said that they have something fresh and innovative to show in therms of 2D on hand so we don't really know what they mean by that. Just for comparition D2 and BG2 are 2D games but are totaly different how they approach 2D.

I imagine it will be polygonal, not pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites like old Inifinity Engine games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think they galloped with 65$ for boxed version 55$ should be right price.

I'm expecting it to look pretty much exactly like Dungeon Siege with a different art direction.

Almighty

Well looks like it won't be hitting its goal in 24 hours like I thought, but it won't be far off. I believe that this has a good chance at being the biggest video game kickstater yet.(I don't count Ouya since that is hardware.) That would be great if that happens.

Made my contribution at $65.

Can't believe they're already almost to $1 million so quickly, and they still have, what, a month left? Sheesh.

HoosTrax

This is non-obvious from reading the Kickstarter page, but is the physical version Steam redeemable?

I'm usually against unnecessary tree-killing, but I'm a sucker for things like monster manuals.

duckroll

I'm expecting it to look pretty much exactly like Dungeon Siege with a different art direction.

I don't. There's no way the camera will operate like DS3 unless they want everyone on the Kickstarter to flood their forums with "fix the goddamn camera". :)

Perkel

Banned
1 MILION !!! in 24 hours !

absolutely amazing !
100k from reaching goal !

tumblr_m5lye6kTj11rrn4vv.gif

It is great day to be RPG fan.

Pooya

in the gamebanshee interview they said this.
we have a few other people working on technology and an entirely new rendering method that should surprise everyone when we are able to show it off.

so, it's new at least. don't think DS3 look would surprise anyone :p
and there is 'two-dimensional painted backgrounds', shouldn't look anything like DS3.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
How was dungeon siege 3 by the way? Is the engine they have created for that game have the power and tech to really craft great art and aesthetics for this game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
in the gamebanshee interview they said this.

so, it's new at least. don't think DS3 look would surprise anyone :p

Right, I mean, I'm hoping that the rendering (and visual design) is notably improved, but I'm not expecting the technology level to look tremendously different.

But hey, I would love to be proven wrong.

How was dungeon siege 3 by the way? Is the engine they have created for that game have the power and tech to really craft great art and aesthetics for this game?

Well, they're also using it for South Park, so it's pliable.

They built a DirectX 11 pipeline when making their major Xbox 720 game for Microsoft as well.

sflufan

Banned
Do you see this EA?
Do you see this ActivLizzard?
Do you see this Take-Two?
Do you see this Bethesda?
Do you see this THQ?

Alright, good.

Perkel

Banned
Right, I mean, I'm hoping that the rendering (and visual design) is notably improved, but I'm not expecting the technology level to look tremendously different.

But hey, I would love to be proven wrong.

Well, they're also using it for South Park, so it's pliable.

They built a DirectX 11 pipeline when making their major Xbox 720 game for Microsoft as well.

I don't think they want to go into full 3D. Their gamebanshee review and kickstarter vid suggest it will be probably mix of 2d and 3D or 3D stylized to be 2D. Locked perspective may improve look.

Something like TOEE did. 2D backdrops 3D characters.

Pooya

I think the game looked too shiny at times, it didn't have any memorable locations either now that I'm thinking, more of an art problem than tech. The engine seems fine.

DTKT

Part of me wants to get really excited and hope it reaches something silly like 5 mil.

But the other part is bitter and cynical and thinks that it's going to drastically slow down in the next few days and end up at 2.5mil.

patapuf

Part of me wants to get really excited and hope it reaches something silly like 5 mil.

But the other part is bitter and cynical and thinks that it's going to drastically slow down in the next few days and end up at 2.5mil.

if they want to go beyond 2-3 Million they will need to generate a lot of hype.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay, backed. Sent them an email requesting they add some cover shooting and focus on romance arcs, else I'd really like a refund.

Both wasteland and shadowrun started to really slowdown, but then stretch goals killed it for both of them. I remember how busy it got when SR had a 2nd city as stretch goal and WL had Avellone as stretch.

I can definitely see additional continent/country/monsters as stretch goals that excite people. Maybe additional companion options which means more story items and interactions

Perkel

Banned
This is ridiculously awesome. Never dreamt of something like this happening. What a year this has become.

Players funding RPG game like Baldurs Gate, Arcanum and Planescape Torment.

Try to back in time and tell people something like this will happen in near future. People would think you are crazy and players can't do shit.

Top Bottom