• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zeliard

Part of me wants to get really excited and hope it reaches something silly like 5 mil.

But the other part is bitter and cynical and thinks that it's going to drastically slow down in the next few days and end up at 2.5mil.

Clever use of stretch goals and drip-feeding of info should help keep some of the momentum going.

Perkel

Banned
Both wasteland and shadowrun started to really slowdown, but then stretch goals killed it for both of them. I remember how busy it got when SR had a 2nd city as stretch goal and WL had Avellone as stretch.

I can definitely see additional continent/country/monsters as stretch goals that excite people. Maybe additional companion options which means more story items and interactions

- Full mod support will make all modders wet and itching to pledge.
- New areas
- Full realization of after ending gameplay. Player for example will be lord of some place and people will know what he did. Some places will be rebuilding. (something like that was planned for FNV)

~Kinggi~

Banned
For anyone curious, there is a diamonds of D&D sale at GOG right now. You can get all the classics for as low as 3.49. Basically get 9 games for 30$. Icewind, Baldurs, Planescape and others.

Here

Syraxith

2013 and 2014 will be some kind of renaissance of CRPGs 'cause fans demanded it.

With this and the other RPG games' kickstarters, the renaissance won't just be 2013 and '14. These successes are the groundwork for a new golden age for CRPGs that will last longer than the golden years of the mid '90s.

With this and the other RPG games' kickstarters, the renaissance won't just be 2013 and '14. These successes are the groundwork for a new golden age for CRPGs that will last longer than the golden years of the mid '90s.

I hope so, but I'll limit my scope to what propositions are in front of us now and that should make for, at least, two years of excellent developer-controlled releases. And the golden age of CRPGs was mostly in the 80s, though the mid-90s weren't too shabby.

Zeliard

I hope so, but I'll limit my scope to what propositions are in front of us now and that should make for, at least, two years of excellent developer-controlled releases. And the golden age of CRPGs was mostly in the 80s, though the mid-90s weren't too shabby.

Mid-90s to 2000, imo. It started really falling off post-Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate 2, with the exception of a few notable luminaries, primarily from Obsidian and Troika.

XPE

The thing with kickstarter is the fans have now put their money where their mouth is and back projects, its the dev turn to crank out a good game, if the kickstarter games turn out medicore no one will back them in the future.

DTKT

The thing with kickstarter is the fans have now put their money where there mouth is and back projects, its the dev turn to crank out a good game, if the kickstarter games turn out mediocre no one will back them in the future.

Pretty much.

That's why I only backed projects with established studios or veterans.

Things like Wasteland, Planetary Annihilation, Banner Saga and Shadowrun have a pretty high chance of success.

Lime

Players funding RPG game like Baldurs Gate, Arcanum and Planescape Torment.

Try to back in time and tell people something like this will happen in near future. People would think you are crazy and players can't do shit.

I think the players might cry by the prospect of their favourite genres being neglected by the mainstream industry.

If you had told me 10 years ago that this game industry was going to consist of the same testosterone-filled teenage fantasies over and over again, and genres like the wRPG, RTS, Simulation, etc. would be extinct if not for the fanbase, I'd probably weep.

HoosTrax

The thing with kickstarter is the fans have now put their money where thier mouth is and back projects, its the dev turn to crank out a good game, if the kickstarter games turn out mediocre no one will back them in the future.
Have we actually seen anything come out of Kickstarter? FTL I guess. And Legend of Grimrock?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I think that site needs to adjust their algorithm a bit, the other day it was trending towards 4millions, but now its trending towards 16millions.
There's not enough data yet, but it's not very accurate in general due to how much these can fluxuate. The projection is getting more accurate as they tweak it, but it can still be way off depending on how things go.

kuroshiki

Have we actually seen anything come out of Kickstarter? FTL I guess. And Legend of Grimrock?

Nothing worth mentioning. I'm genuinely interested how this whole 'kickstarter' thing is going to be like in the future.

I'm still firm with my stance I will spend money when I see a good product, not the promise of good product.

Derrick01

Banned
The thing with kickstarter is the fans have now put their money where thier mouth is and back projects, its the dev turn to crank out a good game, if the kickstarter games turn out mediocre no one will back them in the future.

I'm confident Wasteland 2, this game, and Dead State will turn out to be really good. It all depends where your expectations will be I guess. I think it'd be a mistake to expect any of these to come out and be all time classics just because we put so much money into them (the first 2 especially since those got in the millions of dollars range). But I have no doubt they'll all be fun.

Dennis

Banned
For reference, does anyone have any clue what kind of budget the new X-com game is being made on?

Is it way higher than these kickstarter games or more comparable?

Perkel

Banned
1026k nice. 2-4 hours from now it will be funded. From there all depends on OBSIDIAN stretch goals.

BTW what i like most about kickstarter project is that when game is funded every copy sold from day1 is pure profit for them.

There is no 10-100-1000k to reach profit point.

What is more amazing is that 25k fans can fund 1mln. 100k fans 4mln. With kickstarter growing we will probably see in few years projects with 300-700k fans.

And what is in my opinion most important developers will be as other artists, musicians meaning fanbase. Fanbase that can fund your ideas.

Saty

For reference, does anyone have any clue what kind of budget the new X-com game is being made on?

Much higher. It's a regular AAA budget as far as i remember. It has been developed for 5 years.

Dennis

Banned
Much higher. It's a regular AAA budget as far as i remember. It has been developed for 5 years.

But AAA for an old-school strategy game, right? We are not talking shooter AAA here but I guess we are talking 10 million+ in this case?

Well I have backed the $20 option despite not having anything to play it on and having not played games on a pc in years. Hopefully other platforms will get announced if it does really well and if not at least I backed a worthy cause.

Corto

Not a clue on the exact amount, but I'm sure it's higher than Double Fine/inXile KS. It's a multiplatform game with a considerable marketing effort behind it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Four years * 60 Firaxis employees. Or, as put by the lead design:

Eurogamer said:
"We're 50, 60 guys, I don't know exactly," he said. "We've been working on it for three-and-a-half, four years. It's a big, big game. It's definitely as big as any game we've ever made at Firaxis. It's huge. It's a bit like piloting a big old boat."

He added: "2K went all in with us. They definitely gave us everything we asked for. This is our attempt to make a very, very big budget game that spans all the platforms."

Solomon spoke to Eurogamer at a recent London event as part of an interview, below, in which he discusses the beginnings of the project, reveals why Firaxis made the game multi-platform, and insists the hardcore strategy experience the series is known for hasn't been dumbed down for console gamers.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-06-firaxis-xcom-is-a-very-very-big-budget-game

120 people over two years, a pretty standard AAA development setup, would be about the same cost. CoD4 for example was about the same amount of time and people if you halve the years and double the staff count. I would guess XCOM is in the $20-$25+ million range in development costs.

DTKT

But AAA for an old-school strategy game, right? We are not talking shooter AAA here but I guess we are talking 10 million+ in this case?

Full 3D engine. 3 platforms. I guess 7-12 millions sounds reasonable.

Kickstarter will never replace traditional publishers but it will allow niche projects to continue existing.

Almighty

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-06-firaxis-xcom-is-a-very-very-big-budget-game

120 people over two years, a pretty standard AAA development setup, would be about the same cost. CoD4 for example was about the same amount of time and people if you halve the years and double the staff count. I would guess XCOM is in the $20-$25+ million range in development costs.

Well that was about twice as much as I was thinking and that's not even including marketing and other costs. Damn I am pretty sure there goes any chance of XCOM 2 now.

Perkel

Banned
Kickstarter will never replace traditional publishers but it will allow niche projects to continue existing.

I disagree with that. Kickstarter isn't known by many people yet.

I simply don't believe there is less than 200k people all over the world who can pladge for game like this.

Problem is that kickstarter need more media time. If it wasn't for Double Fine i would not know about kickstarter. With each succesful kickstarter it grows.

25k people can fund 1mln. Now think what 500k fans can do (20mln$).

Dennis

Banned
Like a lot of people I don't have that much time to play games.

Every Kickstarter game I buy is one less big publisher game that I buy.

Publishers would do well to remember that we now have a way to get the kind of games they have been shitting on.

Durante

That's a good point. I can see myself buying fewer games in 2013 if at least some of the ones I kickstarted make it and live up to their promise. Especially since these often aren't particularly short games ("cinematic experiences").

Perkel

Banned

Publishers would do well to remember that we now have a way to get the kind of games they have been shitting on.

Same here. I wonder how much money i will spend next year and 2014 for games where each of those kickstarter RPGs can take 1-3 month playtime. Sure i will buy some games but it won't be like 2011 for me when i bought 2-3 monthly.

edit:

Hurry up 1,100k i want to know whats more is prepared for us !

Minsc

Gold Member
Ok, I think that site needs to adjust their algorithm a bit, the other day it was trending towards 4millions, but now its trending towards 16millions.

"Trends are not projections. Read more >>"

If you follow the link they do have info on projections (they're the third tab of charts)! Not sure how accurate those are, never really watched them. Seems there's insufficient data currently, but they do give min/max ranges, so maybe they're sorta accurate. Every kickstarter will have unique circumstances of course though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Hmm, let me think about what I've bought this year (that came out this year) including Kickstarters.

Traditional Publisher Retail:
-Guild Wars 2
-Borderlands 2
-Mass Effect 3
-Diablo 3
-Kid Icarus

Traditional Publisher Digital:
-Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
-Ys: The Oath In Felghana PC Port
-Ys: Origins PC Port

Self Funded Indie:
-Tower Wars
-Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP PC Port
-Lone Survivor
-Alan Wake PC Port

Kickstarter:
-The Banner Saga
-Double Fine Adventure
-SolForge
-Wasteland 2
-Grim Dawn
-Castle Story
-Shadowrun Returns
-Planetary Annihilation
-Project Eternity

Most Played:
-Dota 2 (f2p)

Very few of my games are coming from the traditional publisher retail model anymore, and basically all of this stuff combined cost significantly less than buying a handful of full retail titles (sans Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2, which I bought at full retail).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nothing worth mentioning. I'm genuinely interested how this whole 'kickstarter' thing is going to be like in the future.

I'm still firm with my stance I will spend money when I see a good product, not the promise of good product.

FTL is not worth mentioning?You clearly havent played it. One of the biggest surprises of 2012, stupidly fun game.

Edit: A bit OT, but feel free to ask if I should link you some impressions. However, a look into the OT should make it clear that people playing it are enjoying it immensely.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's a good point. I can see myself buying fewer games in 2013 if at least some of the ones I kickstarted make it and live up to their promise. Especially since these often aren't particularly short games ("cinematic experiences").

Yup. Putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak, is the cake but also dropping dollars from publishers who increasingly don't give a crap about my tastes is the frosting.

Detox

Backed. I'm curious why Obsidian and the other well known devs choose to go through kickstarter 5 per cent is a decent chunk of money, if they reach something like 5 million they can pay the salary of 3 or 4 more people. I understand amazon payments is necessary but unless you're an unknown indie I don't see the point of going through the kickstarter website.

Top Bottom