• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zeliard

Some of these stretch goals are silly.

An extra $200k above the previous goal just to include a "player house"?

At an early point like this I don't think stretch goals are really meant to be anything but a bit of additional info for what to expect in the game. It's basically a forgone conclusion that it will hit $2.2 million, so this is stuff they were likely always intending to include.

It's when it gets closer to the end of the pledge drive that the more uncertain pledge goals will be introduced to really get a spike in funding.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know one of the unfortunate things about kickstarter i just realized while reading those goals is we have no idea if they are actually new additions or existing content labeled as additions. We do not have a base level roadmap to reference here. Basically a trust system. lulz

Almighty

Some of these stretch goals are silly.

An extra $200k above the previous goal just to include a "player house"?

Ha I was thinking the same thing. While it does seem pretty "meh" though that might be just us. Going by how often people ask for a "player house" to be in every RPG ever I am sure that there are people freaking out about that possibility now.

Player house seems to be right behind romance on peoples wish lists from what i have seen.

Please Obsidian for the love of all that is holy stay away from romance options. Please.

Emitan

Avellone doesn't like writing romances.

You could build a really nice house for the price they want for a digital one hehehe

Ha I was thinking the same thing. While it does seem pretty "meh" though that might be just us. Going by how often people ask for a "player house" to be in every RPG ever I am sure that there are people freaking out about that possibility now.

Player house seems to be right behind romance on peoples wish lists from what i have seen.

Please Obsidian for the love of all that is holy stay away from romance options. Please.

Who wrote the romance in MOTB? Was that Ziets?

You know one of the unfortunate things about kickstarter i just realized while reading those goals is we have no idea if they are actually new additions or existing content labeled as additions. We do not have a base level roadmap to reference here. Basically a trust system. lulz

They're a little strange in that they don't seem to correlate directly to budgeting, but maybe I'm wrong.

I knew there was i reason I liked that man so much.

To my shame as a self proclaimed Obsidian fanboy I have never actually played MOTB.

It's Obsidian's best game, you should really play it. Though buying a copy is difficult now that it's been taken off all DD platforms.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I knew there was a reason I liked that man so much.

To my shame as a self proclaimed Obsidian fanboy I have never actually played MotB.

Hell, let me see if I still have my discs.

EDIT: Yeah, if you want them PM me. I got it while it was on Steam, so they're not doing me any good.

Zeliard

At the same time they do have to introduce stretch goals to show that they aren't just going to pocket the money past the base $1.1 mill - that it's actually going somewhere.

If the pledge drive were to end at $1.1 - which is impossible, but hypothetically - then I do believe much of that stuff wouldn't be included. It's more that it's so likely it will hit $2.2 million that there's probably no need to concern oneself too much with whether or not it makes it in, and just view it as a bit more context as to what the game will be like.

Almighty

It's Obsidian's best game, you should really play it. Though buying a copy is difficult now that it's been taken off all DD platforms.

Well I have another confession that is just going to make it worse. I do own it. A friend got it for me a few years back. I have just never actually played it. I am not even sure I ever installed it.

Zeliard

Well I have another confession that is just going to make it worse. I do own it. A friend got it for me a few years back. I have just never actually played it. I am not even sure I ever installed it.

ibsnY5kxXHPGT8.jpg

WanderingWind

Well, what are you waiting for? Go struggle through the shit UI and enjoy the great story and characters already.

epmode

I tried MOTB again today after hearing Durante go on about the great UI.

Functionality aside, the font is practically unreadable at 2560x1600 unless I have my face very close to the screen. I can shrink the resolution but it just doesn't look good at all. Oh well.

HoosTrax

Is MoTB a standalone game storyline-wise? Or do I need to slog through NWN2 vanilla to make any sense of it?

I put 14 hours into the base game and it felt so boring. None of the NPCs were really likable (or memorable) for that matter. I vaguely remember a stereotypically bitchy main female NPC.

WanderingWind

I tried MOTB again today after hearing Durante go on about the great UI.

Functionality aside, the font is practically unreadable at 2560x1600 unless I have my face very close to the screen. I can shrink the resolution but it just doesn't look good at all. Oh well.

Yeah, Durante is definitely an awesome bro. But he's so wrong about the UI. It's so very, very, very bad.

Is MoTB a standalone game storyline-wise? Or do I need to slog through NWN2 vanilla to make any sense of it?

I put 14 hours into the base game and it felt so boring. None of the NPCs were really likable (or memorable) for that matter. I vaguely remember a stereotypically bitchy main female NPC.

It's essentially standalone. There are a few references to the base game, but nothing really critical. All you really need to know is
that the MC had a special silver sword.

Adnor

Banned
I hope the extra races aren't the classic high fantasy ones. Instead of gnomes or half-elves something like humanoid spiders, or stone creatures. But whatever they are, I hope they're interesting, both in the lore and in the gameplay.

hemtae

You can go straight to MotB. It does have some callbacks to the base game but nothing too major.

sueil

J Sawyer has been posting in the Something Awful thread somewhat regularly. He said he though they only had a 50/50 chance of making it to 1.1 million during the entire Kickstarter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=407584077

Posted that just now saying he is going to work on a blog post tomorrow outlining details about the world.

It is so sad how they have been fucked over by publishers so much in their lives that they thought they only had a 50% chance of getting funded. They never knew how much people loved them. Makes you just want to give them a hug.

Almighty

Well, what are you waiting for? Go struggle through the shit UI and enjoy the great story and characters already.

You're right. I have plenty of time til XCOM and Dishonored hit might as well play some MotB. Now I just have to remember where I put it. Pretty sure I know where it is.

Emitan

J Sawyer has been posting in the Something Awful thread somewhat regularly. He said he though they only had a 50/50 chance of making it to 1.1 million during the entire Kickstarter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=407584077

Posted that just now saying he is going to work on a blog post tomorrow outlining details about the world.

It is so sad how they have been fucked over by publishers so much in their lives that they thought they only had a 50% chance of getting funded. They never knew how much people loved them. Makes you just want to give them a hug.

Kickstarter to fly me to OC, CA to hug everyone at Obsidian.

Yeah, that's crazy. As soon asthe Kickstarter was announced there was no doubt in my mind that they'd make it, even at over a million. Hopefully the funds will keep rolling in. If Wasteland 2 can make it to nearly 3 million then I don't think project shouldn't have trouble clearing over 2.5 million.

Fou-Lu

Pledged $20, but will up if they ever have a digital copy with a cloth map. I don't need two copies of the same game, I just want that map!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hope they dont over do it on companions. Some of their games, like KotOR II suffered from having to write too many characters.

Top Bottom