• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Llyranor

So who's doing the music?

1) Mark Morgan - PS:T
2) Jeremy Soule - IWD (also, Dungeon Siege, KOTOR, The Elder Scrolls, tons of others)
3) Inon Zur - DA:O (also IWD2, BG2:ToB, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes)
4) Matt Hoenig - BG1, BG2
5) Other?

Anyone but Soule, unless he comes with a live orchestra.

5) Alexander Brandon (Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir). This guy is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDA4y7f22A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1ZB1rWsS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2VEGrHkqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn72ub3It0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhiY8gGaGoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRkm8EIk23s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahkV4qnxzkQ

HoosTrax

I think several of those people are rather expensive. I could be wrong though.
#2 and #3 are likely expensive, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're booked already. The proposed #5 doesn't sound half bad (I haven't gotten around to actually playing the NWN2 expansions), reminds me of BG's music.

I linked Deionarra's Theme up above, but the Fortress of Regrets theme was pretty damn good too.

Llyranor

Wait, hold on. I'm spreading misinformation. Apparently Storm of Zehir was co-composed with others too. For example, the main theme was done by Paul Anthony Romero (the HOMM guy)

asker

Anyone but Soule, unless he comes with a live orchestra.

5) Alexander Brandon (Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir). This guy is amazing.
A god among men, this one. Though good, his work on NWN is not his most prominent. He's also the guy who scored Unreal, Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, Tyrian and Jazz Jackrabbit. The first two being two of the best gaming scores of all time. My first born will be named Alexander, no matter the gender.

MrBud360

Must be a difficult decision to set anothers goals. How many? How much? It's too early to know if this rhythm of pledges will continue.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Must be a difficult decision to set anothers goals. How many? How much? It's too early to know if this rhythm of pledges will continue.

Absolutely. They want to maximize their income but dont want to set the goals too far out. Tough to know.

Me personally would make a lot of smaller goals. Things you know at the current rate will be achieved. Which will then give way to more goals. They can always have one ultimate goal too to keep people going forward.

Finally someone that honors this great composer.

He did Deus Ex bro he dont need no stinkin honors

pmj

So who's doing the music?

1) Mark Morgan - PS:T
2) Jeremy Soule - IWD (also, Dungeon Siege, KOTOR, The Elder Scrolls, tons of others)
3) Inon Zur - DA:O (also IWD2, BG2:ToB, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes)
4) Matt Hoenig - BG1, BG2
5) Other?

I didn't know I was a fan of Soule, but of the Infinity games, the music in Icewind Dale easily made the strongest impression on me. However, if they do get Soule they need to pay him to do tracks more than a minute long.

AColdDay

Even without taking into account the financial situation of Obsidian. This is the opportunity to have this company, these people, create an RPG from scratch, including story, setting, mechanics, graphics, music, everything, governed and only limited by their creative will (and the final pledge amount). This is not charity, it's patronage. We want this team to work for us, to create a world for us to play in.

I wouldn't mind funding Obsidian like this from now on. Cut out the middle man and let's pay them directly!

MrBud360

Absolutely. They want to maximize their income but dont want to set the goals too far out. Tough to know.

Me personally would make a lot of smaller goals. Things you know at the current rate will be achieved. Which will then give way to more goals. They can always have one ultimate goal too to keep people going forward.

Yeah Smaller goals looks like the best option in their case. Just to keep the momentum and give them time to really know where this is really going

Grayman

It seems like they spent a good amount of time getting ready for this one. After watching Doublefine's Adventure and Wasteland knock it out of the park and seeing other games with other degrees of success they should have a stream of updates, news coverage, stretch goal reveals, and videos prepared. This game is going to be kept fresh in the news for the next 30 days with an all out assault dropping in the last 5.

I expect we will see a series of videos with each big name sitting down and talking about RPGs. There are going to be goals of combat in their new gaming system explained, peeks of world design, conversations on re-activity in the conversation and scripting, towards the end you may get a presentation on what makes the town of Dyrford tick.

wrowa

Got to admit, I'm a little surprised that there's still not even a little "Thank you!" update although it's already been 4 hours. I guess they really didn't expect to hit the goal that soon.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
1026k nice. 2-4 hours from now it will be funded. From there all depends on OBSIDIAN stretch goals.

BTW what i like most about kickstarter project is that when game is funded every copy sold from day1 is pure profit for them.

There is no 10-100-1000k to reach profit point.

What is more amazing is that 25k fans can fund 1mln. 100k fans 4mln. With kickstarter growing we will probably see in few years projects with 300-700k fans.

And what is in my opinion most important developers will be as other artists, musicians meaning fanbase. Fanbase that can fund your ideas.
This.

Also for Obsidian.. because everything is theirs, they will be making money on copies sold 10 years from now.

Ceebs

Got to admit, I'm a little surprised that there's still not even a little "Thank you!" update although it's already been 4 hours. I guess they really didn't expect to hit the goal that soon.

They also launched right before the weekend for some reason.

Gattsu25

Banned
Well that was certainly faster than I expected.

They updated: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../308631?ref=email&show_token=dba2d57c69fd5bdc
Project Update #1: We are funded, 1.1 Million! Thank you!!
Posted by Obsidian Entertainment
Project Eternity is going to be a reality because of you. We've hit our goal quicker than anyone expected, and the last day has been overwhelming. We are in the office discussing stretch goals right now! Stay tuned for another update today.

AColdDay

This year has been so great! Shadowrun Returns and now this! All I've got to hear is that they are starting a Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines sequel made by ex-Troika people and this will be one of the greatest gaming years of my life!

epmode

This year has been so great! Shadowrun Returns and now this! All I've got to hear is that they are starting a Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines sequel made by ex-Troika people and this will be one of the greatest gaming years of my life!
The lead designer/writer of Bloodlines is working on Dead State now. (just in case you didn't know)

This Kickstarter thing is bringing out some great looking RPGs.

Trigger

So good. The world needs another World of Darkness RPG.

AColdDay

The lead designer/writer of Bloodlines is working on Dead State now. (just in case you didn't know)

This Kickstarter thing is bringing out some great looking RPGs.

I'm backing that too, but I want them to make a World of Darkness Vampire RPG. Jesus, at this point I would back it even if it was a WoD licensed Half Life mod.

hemtae

Stretch goals have been announced it looks like.

1.1 million, Base Goal – Achieved!
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see. Stay tuned to Kickstarter, our website, and our forums to join in on the conversation.

1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
Expands your options for character creation and adds a companion of the new class.

1.6 million, a Mac Version of Project Eternity and The Story Grows!
We've listened and we’ll make a Mac version of the game at this tier. We're also going to add a new major storyline along with new quests, locations, NPCs, and unique loot (special histories everyone?).

1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
The options grow for your main character and the roster of your motley crew expands with the addition of a new companion from the selected class.

2.0 million, Player House!
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!
Great news, everyone! For the Tarball Knights of Gzippia out there, we'll be adding Linux support!
Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm such a sucker for extra content so the stretch goals on these games always get me excited and make me want to up the donation even more. That's a lot of extra races, characters and general content.

Grayman

I think they may hit those pretty fast come monday.

I think I am going to have to hit up there website to see what type of feedback they are getting and maybe leave some.

HoosTrax

$2.0 million reach level needs to happen - I hate not having a "stronghold" to store my unused gear and idle companions in a plausible fashion.

hemtae

Also in the update:

DRM Free: We are looking into it! Please check back for updates.
Digital Only Tiers are coming!
PayPal is coming asap. Please be patient!
New $5k Tier. We are looking into a new $5k tier since it sold out so quickly! We are looking into equivalent alternatives.

Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Deadstate, and the Banner Saga all hit more than twice their initial goal. This should hit the $2 million goal no problem.

Adnor

Banned
Yeah, this sound like the "basic" stretch goals. Maybe when they hit the 2.2mil mark they will put things like mod tools for 2.5mil or something like that.

oipic

No-brainer this one - made my first Kickstarter contribution about half-way through watching the video.

Exciting times. I so very much hope this does project does well, and that the game is a success. Looking forward to the drip-feed of dev updates etc.

Top Bottom