• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Zeliard

I'm not going to take this kind of abuse from a tree snake!

but yes, that would explain it. I think it was just lonesome road which confused me, but now I want to play new vegas again.

Your detached sanity has taken corporeal form and is the cause of your memory loss. Better go do something about it.

Aaron

I think people are mistaking 'WTF just happened to me?' for amnesia. The courier didn't forget as much was blindsided and confused by what happened.

Lancehead

I'm not going to take this kind of abuse from a tree snake!

yellow_eyelash_viper_02.jpg

image-159904-full.jpg

I have to admit that I've never seen a amazon/ranger/native-type dwarf before.
That fantasy races are always monocultural is why I usually hate them, so they're planning on properly implementing multiple ethnicities and cultural variations of dwarves and elves then I don't mind so much.

I feel like there was an option early on in New Vegas when you're talking to the doctor guy during character creation where you can say something about not remembering anything? Or that implies some kind of memory loss. But you don't have to pick that option and amnesia is never really used as a plot device or anything during the game.

Grayman

well this just comes up because in the other games the player is a vault dweller with a known and constrained history. the courier may have had a life and family, friends, a hometown, and such which is never approached in the base game. I haven't played the DLC yet to see if it is there. From a start of the story perspective the courier player knows nothing of their past.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
That fantasy races are always monocultural is why I usually hate them, so they're planning on properly implementing multiple ethnicities and cultural variations of dwarves and elves then I don't mind so much.
Multiple cultures and ethnicity makes a huge difference, imo.

Lancehead

They say its in early state of development. It probably only started dev. when the Kickstarter took off ie a couple of days ago

I think that's more about production stage. I'm pretty certain a lot of the high-level worldbuilding and roleplaying concepts have already been established.

Dennis

Banned
RTwP is just as good as TB combat. The people disappointed it won't be turn based are a puzzle to me.

Both RTwP and TB have produced the best of the classic RPGs. I am really agnostic on the subject. Either systems can produce deep involved combat.

Besides, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Dead State will be TB so its nice to get one RTwP game out of the new triumvirate of RPGs.

Kurtofan

Josh Sawyer said:
Your character may racially be a Pale Elf, but culturally you were raised in one of the city-states of the Vailian Republics. Your race affects one set of things and your culture affects another set of things. They can both be referenced by characters in the world (including you) when appropriate.

Awesome.

Durante

I'm happy that 6 party members are confirmed, even though I expected it.

Now that they said that they won't be using Onyx I'm curious what engine they will be using. Especially since it looks like it will need to support Mac and Linux as well. Unity seems like it would make sense.

MasLegio

Banned
Sorry, for what platform is this? PC only?

it'll be PC only, because Avellone is "tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers."

"Those limitations affect RPG mechanics and content more than players may realize (especially for players who've never played a PC RPG and realize what's been lost over the years), and often doesn't add to the RPG experience,"

heres looking at you Bioware...

2ymwsit.gif

robin2

Party
The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. [...]
They said the game will have the dungeon-ing of Icewind Dale 2, so I think the "I wan't to go alone" way will be reserved for the "speech" builds who can avoid most of the fights, since those kind of dungeon encounters are very designed around having a full party, I can't imagine a character going though that alone or even with a party sensibly smaller than the ideal (maybe a mage character could do something but...).

RTwP is just as good as TB combat. The people disappointed it won't be turn based are a puzzle to me.

Both RTwP and TB have produced the best of the classic RPGs. I am really agnostic on the subject. Either systems can produce deep involved combat.

Besides, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns and Dead State will be TB so its nice to get one RTwP game out of the new triumvirate of RPGs.

This made a whole lot more sense when I realized those weren't game acronyms. Also I agree.

robin2 said:
They said the game will have the dungeon-ing of Icewind Dale 2, so I think the "I wan't to go alone" way will be reserved for the "speech" builds who can avoid most of the fights, since those kind of dungeon encounters are very designed around having a full party, I can't imagine a character going though that alone or even with a party sensibly smaller than the ideal (maybe a mage character could do something but...).

I think I saw Sawyer addressing someone's request that they not make mages OP, so it'll be interesting to see how they balance that.

Taruranto

Well, many people managed to solo BG2 and IWD.

I guess what this really means is that you'll be able to have a party of 2, 4, 6, etc and still manage to explore unlike series like ME were essentially every companion is pretty much forced on you.

Ledsen

You're being unfair good sir, what about such bastions of creativity as "Forest Elves" and "City Elves"?

DiscoJer

I'm sure that's true, but there is an accessibility problem with real time combat. Every time I try to play a game that has real time combat with multiple characters, I just get frustrated and give up.

At least the Infinity Engine games. I did manage with NWN and KOTOR, but in NWN I had to always play a fighter and let the AI do the spellcasting.

I can control one character in real time (Diablo style games). Any more and I just get increasingly overwhelmed. I also can't drive a stick shift. When it gets to a six character party, it's just too much confusion to be fun for me.

Acidote

They haven't answered my language question through e-mail. Understandable since they must have thousands and I only sent it three or four days ago, but I'm dissapointed they haven't answered that matter to anyone who has asked for it through twitter, facebook, e-mail or their own forums.

I guess we must have patience, there are 28 days left until I drop my pledge. I'm sure they will answer the matter before that.

dude

dude

I actually prefer RTwP. TB is fun and all, but it usually makes the game unbearably slow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have they announced QTEs yet?

Radogol

They haven't answered my language question through e-mail. Understandable since they must have thousands and I only sent it three or four days ago, but I'm dissapointed they haven't answered that matter to anyone who has asked for it through twitter, facebook, e-mail or their own forums.

They address that in the FAQ section of their KS profile.

Acidote

They address that in the FAQ section of their KS profile.

That might have been enough when they didn't have set up stretch goals. Now they have set them up and there's no mention of the matter. As I said, we just have to be patient, 28 days left for them to address it.

MasLegio

Banned

I guess we must have patience, there are 28 days left until I drop my pledge. I'm sure they will answer the matter before that.

what language question?

I feel it is unnecessary for them to localize the game and its a waste of resources since the people who care about this product knows English. It would take away time and resources from the game development.

(also I am sick of being punished due to German, French, Italian and Spanish nationalistic laws delaying games to EU (sometimes they never come here as well).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Some things ive thought of that i would like in the game..

Detailed item descriptions!
JW2Wc.jpg

i love that stuff even on regular items.
mOrcw.jpg

i would also love to see a detailed journal of the world and its inhabitants. DA:O had a great one. There is also another game i cant remember right now that had an excellent journal. i remember seeing a video of it and being shocked at how detailed and comprehensive it was.
uN6vP.jpg

Acidote

what language question?

I feel it is unnecessary for them to localize the game and its a waste of resources since the people who care about this product knows English. It would take away time and resources from the game development.

Simple, will it be localized? As a stretch goal? Maybe after release? I know nobody here will care, but if the game gets a huge funding (2M or more, and it is almost guaranteed) and is not localized I'll drop my little pledge. I may be fluent in English, but it's not my mother tongue and immersion is affected by this.

dude

dude
Some things ive thought of that i would like in the game..

Detailed item descriptions!

Seems to me like they heavily implied it to be back in the Kickstarter text. Item description was awesome, so I'm really hoping it's back as well.

EDIT: I too hope for no scale. I hate that about BioWare games - Though I don't care as much about alignment because it usually has less implication on your character (evil aligned character do not change appearance, usually.) Not that it matters because alignment are probably too tied to D&D.

mclem

Dumb question... Why do they need +100% of the proyect to do a linux version? Is that expensive porting the game to linux?

Stretch goals are rarely priced particularly accurately; they'll add the feature for that much money, but the majority of the money will be poured into other aspects of the game and polish.

Top Bottom