• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Corto

I've just now finished setting up Planescape on my MacBook to run through a VM... Goodbye world. I'll be checking in here though to follow the updates. hehehe

dude

dude
I've just now finished setting up Planescape on my MacBook to run through a VM... Goodbye world. I'll be checking in here though to follow the updates. hehehe

I'm actually getting the PS:T itch as well. Good thing I always keep in installed just in case.

Corto

I'm actually getting the PS:T itch as well. Good thing I always keep in installed just in case.

I have it on my desktop, but having it on the laptop will ensure that I'll finally finish it. ;) I think I'll go create a let's play thread to have some companions in this trip, and also to discipline myself to play it to its conclusion...

dude

dude
I have it on my desktop, but having it on the laptop will ensure that I'll finally finish it. ;) I think I'll go create a let's play thread to have some companions in this trip, and also to discipline myself to play it to its conclusion...

I might just join you then. Man, the wait to 2014 is going to be fucking tough....

Corto

I'm at work now, but latter in the day I'll create a nice let's play thread with links to the recommended mods and fixes and whatnot. Let's do this!

dude

dude

This game keep sounding better and better! Shit, I have to scrap some cash so that I can up my pledge...

Things of interest from the interview:
Just relating to what was talked about earlier in this thread, there's no alignment:
"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."

Also, on multiplayer (it's not ruled out, but focus is on SP):
Multiplayer isn't ruled out. "Interest?" Tim Cain mulled. "Yes, but not if it risks reducing the scope or quality of the single-player game in any way. Single-player gaming is our focus."

And also, there are guns.
Oh, and Project Eternity "will have guns", Cain told me, "but we are not going into their details right now"

Wallach

Reputation by group was pretty much a given, but it's good to hear it said outright. Pretty close to putting in for this one.

dude

dude
Guns?! WHY?!

Man, first said thing for me...

Guns can be a nice break from the regular weapons you expect to find. But, we shouldn't read too much into this - We don't know anything about them yet. For all we know they're like Forgotten Realm's gun - Rare and unwieldy in forms resembling hand-held cannons and such. They might be new "super-weapons" recently developed by some empire, so they appear only in hands of enemies. Man, there are a million cool things you could do with guns in a fantasy setting.

patapuf

Guns can be a nice break from the regular weapons you expect to find. But, we shouldn't read too much into this - We don't know anything about them yet. For all we know they're like Forgotten Realm's gun - Rare and unwieldy in forms resembling hand-held cannons and such. They might be new "super-weapons" recently developed by some empire, so they appear only in hands of enemies. Man, there are a million cool things you could do with guns in a fantasy setting.

yeah, i expect them to be something they used in the late middle age / renaiscance.

The interesting implication is that it's not your run of the mill dark age fantasy setting.

Sharp

Yeah I'm honestly not sure why guns should sadden anyone. It's not like they're making a FPS. Based on the other quotes I've seen though, I feel it's fair to warn you guys that I don't think they're just being used in a "early musket" kind of way, since I'm pretty sure there are going to be bombs as well.

EVOL 100%

Thrown in $35. Now to wait.

Fake edit: Guns? Fuck yes.

It's not like they're going to be using M4s and shit like that. Primitive firearms are cool.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."

EVOL 100%

If it was Bioware saying this, I would've scoffed.

When it's Obsidian not being fucked over by a publisher again, I believe.

dude

dude
BTW, If we're talking about breaking fantasy conventions, what I really want to see is a different take on fantasy music. Not that I don't like large orchestras playing dramatic music, it's just that I really want to see a game try for a different aproach. Less instruments, less dramatic, maybe less european. I'd love a game with music that sound like this for example.

Acosta

I just spotted something interesting, don't know if it have been noticed in the thread (sorry if so):

A tweet of Avellone asked about the Onyx engine" and he answered: "No, we will not. We like the Onyx engine, but it'll likely be too expensive considering the middleware attachments."

I'm surprised, I thought it would be Onyx but I never considered the middleware costs. Makes you think about our perceived value of creating a game against the real deal.

Perkel

Banned

I would be happy if they would create Arcanum spiritual succesor.

Also Arcanum already had standard fantasy races served in unusual way. Or should i say standard but with a twist.
From looks Eternity is trying to go in Arcanum way with guns and bombs.

Now they need to announce that in bigger cities there is sort of victorian lifestyle.

Lancehead

The most important feature of Arcanum that Obsidian should look to borrow is the crafting system. Arcanum had the best one of all the games I've played.

dude

dude
I just spotted something interesting, don't know if it have been noticed in the thread (sorry if so):

A tweet of Avellone asked about the Onyx engine" and he answered: "No, we will not. We like the Onyx engine, but it'll likely be too expensive considering the middleware attachments."

I'm surprised, I thought it would be Onyx but I never considered the middleware costs. Makes you think about our perceived value of creating a game against the real deal.

It was posted before, last page I think. Right now I think Unity is the most popular bet regarding engine. But then again, in the Eurogamer interview Tim Cain said:
"Those budget numbers are just right for what we are trying to make," Cain answered. "We have an engine already, and we aren't using an established IP with pre-defined game mechanics and an art style that we have to mimic.
So I don't know. Does Obsidian have other engines beside Onyx?

Perkel

Banned
It was posted before, last page I think. Right now I think Unity is the most popular bet regarding engine. But then again, in the Eurogamer interview Tim Cain said:

Tim Cain is man who created Fallout 1 engine also he worked in team who created Arcanum engine. If they want to create 2D game they already have man for this job.

dionysus

Yaldog
Tim Cain is man who created Fallout 1 engine also he worked in team who created Arcanum engine. If they want to create 2D game they already have man for this job.

With a budget as limited as a Kickstarter project's I think they are going to modify an off the shelf solution like Unity to fit their purpose.

Perkel

Banned
With a budget as limited as a Kickstarter project's I think they are going to modify an off the shelf solution like Unity to fit their purpose.

If they would plan to use Unity they would say so already. In my opinion they have already something created inhouse. In interview they said they have something nice and innovative in therms of rendering they probably wouldn't say that if they were planing to use Unity.

Drazgul

I would be happy if they would create Arcanum spiritual succesor.

I would also like if they had a spiritual successor to the Bangellian Scourge.

It'd been buried there for centuries... a beautiful sight... its blade as black as onyx, and carved in ancient runework, and I held it in me hands, and it CALLED to me... The Bangellian Scourge... the most evil piece a' weaponry ever wielded by any soul in the land a' Arcanum. Legend says it was forged in the blood fires a' the Bangellian Deeps, and that virgins and children were thrown into the fire to keep it stoked...

EVOL 100%

BTW, If we're talking about breaking fantasy conventions, what I really want to see is a different take on fantasy music. Not that I don't like large orchestras playing dramatic music, it's just that I really want to see a game try for a different aproach. Less instruments, less dramatic, maybe less european. I'd love a game with music that sound like this for example.

Arcanum's soundtrack is strictly western but if fits your other criteria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

I need another game with music like this. Preferably this game would.

Deques

Unity? Why would a big company such as Obsidian use Unity? Nothing wrong with it, but in my opinion this engine is for those game developers who can't create their own engine. And Obsidian has such manpower that they can make a new engine or use one of their old engines.

marrec

Banned
Unity? Why would a big company such as Obsidian use Unity? Nothing wrong with it, but in my opinion this engine is for those game developers who can't create their own engine. And Obsidian has such manpower that they can make a new engine or use one of their old engines.

Making a new engine isn't something that is inexpensive. In fact it's very expensive.

I'd much rather them use a modified Unity and focus our money on the more important details of the game.

dude

dude
Arcanum's soundtrack is strictly western but if fits your other criteria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

I need another game with music like this. Preferably this game would.

I know, I played Arcanum :) One of my favorite OSTs ever.

As for the engine - If Tim is reffering to Unity it's a little strange, because they didn't mention it before. When he says "we have an engine" it implies to me something internal. I'm guessing they're not going to create a whole new engine under this limited budget - I think maybe Avallone was wrong and they are using Onyx?

Midou

Heh, it seemed to slow down a lot after the first day or two, which I guess is expected when such a huge amount was donated. Probably make a good 2.0-2.5 million by the end anyways though. Should be a good amount for this sort of game. Which is now my most hyped project, even above double fine's, and both are pretty limited info. :p

mclem

Crazy-as-hell-suggestion: Who actually owns the rights to the Infinity Engine?

Manpower costs money. Building a new engine from scratch would eat up a *massive* chunk of their budget. Heck, possibly all of what they've raised thus far; I've only ever worked on iterative engines, so I don't really have a benchmark for the cost of starting from scratch, but a lot of work on the projects I worked on was done on the engine level.

Lancehead

I know, I played Arcanum :) One of my favorite OSTs ever.

As for the engine - If TIm is reffering to Unity it's a little strange, because they didn't mention it before. When he says "we have an engine" it implies to me something internal. I'm guessing they're not going to create a whole new engine under this limited budget - I think maybe Avallone was wrong and they are using Onyx?

I hope they use some sort of modified Onyx. It'd be a landmark for Obsidian to finally make a game with IP ownership and with in-house engine.

BioWare?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Correct.

EA actually is reusing the name these days: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/04/madden-nfl-13-fueled-by-new-infinity-engine/

Unity is incredibly efficient to make games in, which is actually very helpful to lower budget products.

Syraxith

I'd much rather them use a modified Unity and focus our money on the more important details of the game.

And it'd be even cheaper if they used a modified version of their own internal engine (no royalties/licenses to pay and the software engineers who made the engine to begin with are on site to provide technical support).

Top Bottom