• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Xater

Making a new engine isn't something that is inexpensive. In fact it's very expensive.

I'd much rather them use a modified Unity and focus our money on the more important details of the game.

Also Unity seems incredibly versatile and have seen some really good looking games using that engine.

And it'd be even cheaper if they used a modified version of their own internal engine (no royalties/licenses to pay and the software engineers who made the engine to begin with are on site to provide technical support).

But that is only an option if it's easy to get it running on OSX and Linux. That is not an issue with Unity.

Perkel

Banned
Crazy-as-hell-suggestion: Who actually owns the rights to the Infinity Engine?

Manpower costs money. Building a new engine from scratch would eat up a *massive* chunk of their budget. Heck, possibly all of what they've raised thus far; I've only ever worked on iterative engines, so I don't really have a benchmark for the cost of starting from scratch, but a lot of work on the projects I worked on was done on the engine level.

Yes if you are creating it from scrath, the thing is Tim had already created few engines and he probably created something for Obsidian. If they aim for 2D game he simply need to recreate what he already did before updating few parts to be more modern. It's not that easy as i said it “simply” but still something they can do. Also it looks that they already have something. Maybe thy worked on it for other game that was canceled and now when they will use it and continue development.

EVOL 100%

Yes if you are creating it from scrath, the thing is Tim had already created few engines and he probably created something for Obsidian. If they aim for 2D game he simply need to recreate what he already did before updating few parts to be more modern. It's not that easy as i said it “simply” but still something they can do. Also it looks that they already have something. Maybe they worked on it for other game that was canceled and now when they will use it and continue development.

It'll probably be this. If they were using the Unity engine I think they would have mentioned it by name.

Xater

It'll probably be this. If they were using the Unity engine I think they would have mentioned it by name.

I don't think inXile mentioned which engine they would use until the Kickstarter was over. It is also something they have to decide once they know how much money they have to work with.

dude

dude
I don't think inXile mentioned which engine they would use until the Kickstarter was over. It is also something they have to decide once they know how much money they have to work with.

Yeah, but Tim Cain has mentioned that they already have an engine in the interview, and it doesn't look like he's talking about Unity. My money is on Onyx...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"While there are social concepts of good and evil," he added, "the game does not track an alignment for the player. Instead we will use a reputation system to keep track of what different groups in the world think of you. Consequences of your actions will matter in Project Eternity."
Faction system whooo!

marrec

Banned
Avellone said they wouldn't because of middleware costs, but then Tim Cain said something else in an interview. I honestly don't know anymore :p

As others have speculated, Cain may be talking about one of his pet projects. I doubt they have what engine they are going to use nailed down yet.

dionysus

Yaldog
And it'd be even cheaper if they used a modified version of their own internal engine (no royalties/licenses to pay and the software engineers who made the engine to begin with are on site to provide technical support).

Internal engines are not free, see Obsidian's tweet. Their onyx engine includes licensed software from other developers. I am no developer so I am speaking from ignorance, but I imagine stuff like the physics model is licensed and embedded in the engine. So if they use it to make a game, they have to pay the physics engine owner. I am sure there are other licensed modules as well. Don't reinvent the wheel and all that.

Edit. Conflicting statements, I am confused as well.

dude

dude
As others have speculated, Cain may be talking about one of his pet projects. I doubt they have what engine they are going to use nailed down yet.

Huh? Why would he mention a pet project in an interview about Project Eternity? Doesn't make much sense to me... He said they already have an engine as an argument to why this game doesn't need a big budget, he implies they're not worried about engine costs, because they have it nailed down.

marrec

Banned
Huh? Why would he mention a pet project in an interview about Project Eternity? Doesn't make much sense to me... He said they already have an engine as an argument to why this game doesn't need a big budget, he implies they're not worried about engine costs, because they have it nailed down.

No the engine IS his pet project. ;P

mclem

...provided that the process of removing all that essential middleware and/or replacing it with homegrown alternatives isn't prohibitively expensive.

I vote they implement it all in ZZT-OOP. The finest engine that company ever made!

(Please do not take that final statement seriously)

mclem

Trying to figure out what this means:

Their use is uncommon and for specific purposes.

It sounds like they're not used conventionally as weapons, then. Ritualistic? Executions? Injecting substances at range? Mining? Persona-esque Evokers?

mrpeabody

Obsidian's expertise is in immersive worlds, plot, and characterization. Nobody is going to buy this game for the amazing tech. The engine should be a building block they buy or already own, not something they develop.

patapuf

Obsidian's expertise is in immersive worlds, plot, and characterization. Nobody is going to buy this game for the amazing tech. The engine should be a building block they buy or already own, not something they develop.

i doubt they have the budget to build something from scratch anyway.

marrec

Banned

It sounds like they're not used conventionally as weapons, then. Ritualistic? Executions? Injecting substances at range? Mining? Persona-esque Evokers?

My guess is those specific purposes are specifically shooting mages in the face from a distance.

Perkel

Banned

It means that they are not that advanced. So one gun can be extreme with damage output but it can be reloaded forever or something like that or it can miss a lot. Sort of like crossbows.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The only real problem with guns is that backers will (and looking at the forums, already are) entering dumb "Guns??? This ISN'T SCI-FI!!" v. "Guns should destroy dragons in a single hit" debates, and that Sawyer might walk into a lamppost, get mild concussion and actually listen to them.

Lancehead

The only real problem with guns is that backers will (and looking at the forums, already are) entering dumb "Guns??? This ISN'T SCI-FI!!" v. "Guns should destroy dragons in a single hit" debates, and that Sawyer might walk into a lamppost, get mild concussion and actually listen to them.

Sawyer is used to similar arguments regarding New Vegas and Energy Weapons.

Perkel

Banned

Most of backers aren't stupid and know that if Obsidian is doing guns in fantasy or elves there will be twist in that.

Herla

My problem with guns in fantasy rpgs is that they look like muskets but fire like semi-automatic weapons.
Also the fact that pretty much every fantasy game seems to have them now, for some reason.

Perkel

Banned
My problem with guns in fantasy rpgs is that they look like muskets but fire like semi-automatic weapons.
Also the fact that pretty much every fantasy game seems to have them now, for some reason.

You shouldn't categorize it just because it has guns.

As of guns popularity, guns and magic is interesting concept that isn't yet clishe much. As of design it's because that is what most of people think about early guns. Reloading and ammo capacity aside i think it's natural design for early guns.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Most of backers aren't stupid and know that if Obsidian is doing guns in fantasy or elves there will be twist in that.

There's actually a contingent on their forums declaring if it's not a 'traditional' medieval setting with no guns it's a dealbreaker for them. Thankfully, the forums don't represent all backers, of course.

Top Bottom