• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
So im assuming they already got a large chunk of money to start off with. How much do these kinds of games usually cost do develop? If we take neverwinter nights 2, dragon age, etc, whats the development cost for those games? Im trying to figure out if this is more on the "indie" ambition level or something more akin to a full fledged rpg like those i previously mentioned. Also, will they publish the game themselves or try finding someone?

volturnus

Banned
How about a GAF tavern?
132e07de143267a5dfaac1ed4a7c96bc_large.png

People could pay a mod via paypal and he'd pledge for all of us. I'm sure we can get 5k in GAF alone.

Wait isn't Avellone working on Wasteland 2? So he is going to work on two projects at the same time?

Backed, hope it smashes other game Kickstarter records!

He's not lead designer at Wasteland 2, he just part of the time working on the game, while this project is, probably, his own child he won't share with anyone.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have never participated in a kickstarter.

That might change with this...

KingKong

So, they're looking at about $196,000 in about 100 minutes. Freaking. Insane.

This is from all the people that were waiting for the countdown to end, it's going to slow down pretty quickly. I'm sure they'll still reach their goal (and way beyond) in a couple of days

erragal

Can't wait to see what they do with complete creative freedom. I've no problems pre-purchasing whatever they decide to create if it helps it get made.

Will this game have the highest expectations of any game ever? It's hyperbolic but the amount of pressure for this project will exceed all the other Kickstarter's combined.

szaromir

Banned
They released this Kickstarter right before Planetary's Annihilation one ends. I think it screws a bit with the momentum of the latter.

Dennis

Banned
I agree with you for the big publishers. When Brian Fargo said that inXile's definition of success would be considered a failure by publishers, I felt that rung true.

However, I feel there are small enough publishers like Reverge where running a $1.1 million PC only game that makes a good profit actually seems appealing.

It's mostly that publishers like that didn't go for this that surprises me.
But at this point and at this low level budget it may simply be better to do without a publisher at all if you can fund your game through something like Kickstarter.

Complete control over your own game must be the optimal postion for any developer.

Lancehead

Can't wait to see what they do with complete creative freedom. I've no problems pre-purchasing whatever they decide to create if it helps it get made.

Will this game have the highest expectations of any game ever? It's hyperbolic but the amount of pressure for this project will exceed all the other Kickstarter's combined.

Among RPGs, probably. But I think this project includes many concepts across the years that failed to make it into any one game, so it's not like they're unprepared for this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But at this point and at this low level budget it may simply be better to do without a publisher at all if you can fund your game through something like Kickstarter.

Complete control over your own game must be the optimal postion for any developer.

I agree that now that this exists, it makes the most sense.

My question mostly reflects the pre-Kickstarter era where I have to imagine Obsidian was shopping around projects like this.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I really really want the hardcover book, but the price for it is too much. I would be happy if I can get an unsign (or sign) hardcover book with collector edition for ~$100, I don't really care for everything else.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
210k in under 2 hours. 0_o

I'm sure it'll drop off after the first few days, but holy shit.

If Obsidian can keep content updates (i.e. concept art, etc.) rolling in this first week or so, they've got some stretch goals to put up quick.

I am a marketer. I am very confident I could sell this game to any publisher and walk away with a deal. Something else is going on that has nothing to do with the marketing of the Obsidian brand.
I thinks most publishers aren't interested in niches and no matter how well you pitched it to them, they'd refuse to see it.
One of the worst enemies of a marketer are irrational beliefs and this industry really looks fueled on these.
(I'm one too :))

How about a GAF tavern?
132e07de143267a5dfaac1ed4a7c96bc_large.png

People could pay a mod via paypal and he'd pledge for all of us. I'm sure we can get 5k in GAF alone.
I'm so fucking in.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

My question mostly reflects the pre-Kickstarter era where I have to imagine Obsidian was shopping around projects like this.

Feargus has said in Gamebanshee interview that publishers need to release hundreds of games like that to stay profitable with their current structure (i.e. tons of people). So this is why they wouldn't invest in it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It could also be that publishers realise those untapped markets but are unable to convince shareholders.

Then they're not doing their job correctly.

But, hey. This meteoric support should do plenty to convince somebody, somewhere that the RPG market isn't a myth from 2001.

duckroll

Then they're not doing their job correctly.

But, hey. This meteoric support should do plenty to convince somebody, somewhere that the RPG market isn't a myth from 2001.

It already did. The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is probably the reason why this Kickstarter has a goal of 1.1 million instead of something smaller in scope.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It already did. The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is probably the reason why this Kickstarter has a goal of 1.1 million instead of something smaller in scope.

Obsidian is worth so much more to me, but hell, let's just ROLL. This pleaseth me. Bring on Alpha Protocol 2 next!

Azih

Kickstarters are an absolutely amazing way to get mid tier games funded. It doesn't really affect the publishers gunning for CoD or even Skyrim numbers

duckroll

I imagine is that one reason why they had issues previously is that they needed projects to support their entire studio, and the best bet for them would be to use their top talent to secure the biggest projects which can pay for the employment of more people in the studio. So they were looking at projects which would far eclipse something like this in budget, which would make the projects riskier for the publishers they approach as well.

See: Cancelled next-gen game. :(

sTeLioSco

Banned
Obsidian is worth so much more to me, but hell, let's just ROLL. This pleaseth me. Bring on Alpha Protocol 2 next!

after all the bad times its time for Obsidian to smile...

they deserve it.
the community will try to take care of them it seems from the already gathered amount....

Dennis

Banned

This should have happened when Dragon Age: Origins sold like gangbusters by being an old-school RPG that even Bioware had sort of given up on making succesful.

Publishers. Publishers never change.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kickstarters are an absolutely amazing way to get mid tier games funded. It doesn't really affect the publishers gunning for CoD or Skyrim numbers

I'm sure. Perhaps I'm dreaming big, but it seems that if a project with little to no fanfare can get many people pledging money site unseen, that a publisher would at least be willing to take a chance at a new AAA CRPG. The pieces are there. The market, the storefront, the overt demand. Games have come to fruition with a lot less.

This should have happened when Dragon Age: Origins sold like gangbusters by being an old-school RPG that even Bioware had sort of given up on making succesful.

Publishers. Publishers never learn.

That too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think kickstarter itself is a stupid idea.

Still, I gave to this, my first KS. Wish them well.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Arghhh. I have never Kickstarted anything in my life but I'm tempted to start with this project. Decisions, decisions.

Also it's barely been a day and they're already a fifth of the way to their goal. Holy smokes.

Anyone know who the score is composed by? Mark Morgan will pretty much give me reason to make my first pledge on kickstarter...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
In for $20. This will EASILY hit its goal and whatever stretch goals are set.

Lancehead

Publishers. Publishers never learn.

Eh, that's debatable, that DA:O sold purely because it has old-school vibes.

I still think a game like this project is niche in the big picture.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mass retweet is going across gaming industry's twitterverse: Ken Levine, Notch, Fargo, also people from Bioware, Visceral and so on.

Top Bottom