• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

mclem

There's actually a contingent on their forums declaring if it's not a 'traditional' medieval setting with no guns it's a dealbreaker for them. Thankfully, the forums don't represent all backers, of course.

Honestly, I'd go so far as to say that you shouldn't back a Kickstarter unless you trust the instincts of the people behind it; you don't get to shape the project unless you're invited to. Part of the point of it is giving creative people free reign to, well, be creative. Kicking up a fuss if they actually are seems counter-intuitive.

Sotha Sil

There's actually a contingent on their forums declaring if it's not a 'traditional' medieval setting with no guns it's a dealbreaker for them. Thankfully, the forums don't represent all backers, of course.

Yeah, it's generally safe to assume that there is a contingent for every cause, everywhere. Let's just hope nobody listens.

Lancehead

Honestly, I'd go so far as to say that you shouldn't back a Kickstarter unless you trust the instincts of the people behind it; you don't get to shape the project unless you're invited to. Part of the point of it is giving creative people free reign to, well, be creative. Kicking up a fuss if they actually are seems counter-intuitive.

I'm pretty certain there are many who see kickstarter as "design by committee" because they're donating.

Dresden

Now that we have guns, I hope customizable nameplates are next.

gGPPq.png

To be fair they probably expect that in a fantasy game instead of having a weapon that takes thirty seconds to reload and terrible range developers normally put in something better than a modern rifle.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair they probably expect that in a fantasy game instead of having a weapon that takes thirty seconds to reload and terrible range developers normally put in something better than a modern rifle.

If that's the case I'll be with them complaining, but I don't think Obsidian of all people will fall into the 'GUNZ R KEWL' trap.

I'm kinda of sick of traditional swords and sorcery type fantasy worlds so if there's an element of technological progress in there, I'll be happy. If you want magic elves and bearded dwarves with axes there are about 81 billion games set in that type of generic world already.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I all for guns as all as guns appropriately affect the rest of the weaponry. No JRPG sword vs laser gun shit.

dude

dude
They have 28 days. Considering past Kickstarters, I think covering all of the current stretch goals is pretty much in the bag.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(Today, 10:03 PM)

Not sure it's a trope only of JRPGs...

Its a major jrpg cliche. Btw I like JRPGs and regularly defend them (the good ones at least) from the more narrow minded WRPG fans.

Also did I say only JRPGs have ever done it?

dionysus

Yaldog
Early design guns can coexist beside other weapons just fine as a supplementary weapon. One time use in combat and have to be out of combat to reload, or make reloading take 10 turns or the real time equivalent of that.

dionysus

Yaldog
I played it once without reading the manual and kept collapsing from exhaustion, got mad, and stopped playing.

Hopefully I can give it a real shot after I finish Planescape: Torment.

Unfortunately I am not aware of a fix for how the game handles mousing on modern computers. I find it unplayable, and yes I have googled the problem extensively. It is a real chore to click a button with your mouse.

Lancehead

Unfortunately I am not aware of a fix for how the game handles mousing on modern computers. I find it unplayable, and yes I have googled the problem extensively. It is a real chore to click a button with your mouse.

I played the GOG version (along with this guide) not too long ago. I didn't have any problems.

I played it once without reading the manual and kept collapsing from exhaustion, got mad, and stopped playing.

Hopefully I can give it a real shot after I finish Planescape: Torment.

i played torment for the first time about 2 years ago and it immediately became one of my all time favorites. enjoy it. since this kickstarter was announced, i have been thinking a lot about the game. it really is impressive in a lot of ways (that i dont necessarily want to spoil) but i sometimes wonder if its a case of lightning in a bottle. i guess i could play mask of the betrayer (which others here seem to love) to see if it has the same effect on me.

SerRodrik

I install it right off of my old disk and I cannot remember having any problems.

ZoddGutts

I'm kinda of sick of traditional swords and sorcery type fantasy worlds so if there's an element of technological progress in there, I'll be happy. If you want magic elves and bearded dwarves with axes there are about 81 billion games set in that type of generic world already.

Same. Which is why I'm looking forward to the Shadow Run games. It's DnD set in cyberpunk setting, which hasn't been really done by many dev/people for whatever reason. Hope Obsidian gives a new twist to the DnD setting rather going the generic way.

hemtae

I want that physical copy. I know I won't need or use it but I want it. I'll probably end up upping my pledge at the end. Blargh.

Sothpaw

I despise guns in fantasy games. This isn't a dealbreaker though; just the first bit of disappointing news I've heard about the project.

Perkel

Banned
1600000$ Nice.

From AMA on redit:

We are definitely still in the early stages of development, none of the specific details like you mention are completely set at this point. A lot of what we can accomplish depends on how much funding we get. The more money we have the more resources/time we can devote to it.
I believe the goal is to be able to have approximately a 20 person team.

dude

dude
1600000$ Nice.

From AMA on redit:

The IAMA also confirms that it won't be Onyx, and that they apparently already have the engine part figured out, but he can't say anymore right now:

I can confirm what Chris Avellone said that we will likely not be using our in house engine Onyx. We'll be announcing more about our tech in the coming days.

Perkel

Banned
The IAMA also confirms that it won't be Onyx, and that they apparently already have the engine part figured out, but he can't say anymore right now:

Yeah, looks like to me that they will show some work on that engine in later part of kickstarter.
They won't use Unity for sure.

Also 40k backers !

40,000 backers
$1,602,276 pledged of $1,100,000 goal
28 days to go

Feels : Fuck Yeah

guns in fantasy games are awesome. also, the comment about them being for a "very specific purpose" is intriguing, maybe they have some kind of running mini-game.

wrowa

I'm not a fan of guns in RPGs either, but I'm not worried. The way he worded it makes it sound pretty interesting, actually. Wouldn't surprise me if there's only an inventor playing around with them or a place or two in the world where guns exist; I guess they'll also be useless from the distance.

Every day new info is released i expect the next tier to get hit. Rinse and repeat.

It wouldn't hurt if they present the new info a little better, too. Not only walls of text but also somekind of pictures in between -- people on the internet don't like to read monotonous walls of text for some reason. ;(

dude

dude
Yeah its slowed pretty drastically now.

Compared to other Kickstarters, it's actually pretty healthy. We've been at 150k a day for two days now, it's going to go slightly lower and then there's going to be a push towards the end. If they can manage to keep updates as frequent as they've been until now, I think they can maintain good momentum.

Durante

It wouldn't hurt if they present the new info a little better, too. Not only walls of text but also somekind of pictures in between -- people on the internet don't like to read monotonous walls of text for some reason. ;(
Then they're at the wrong kickstarter :p

Top Bottom