• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Dennis

Banned
Eh, that's debatable, that DA:O sold purely because it has old-school vibes.

I still think a game like this project is niche in the big picture.

It sold because its a good game - of the kind that a lot of people still seem to like - the old-school party RPG.

NichM

Banned
Given that there are 32 days left by my calculation they should reach a total of $76,800,000.

Stretch goal: Reach $50,000,000 and Avellone gets a gold plated yacht.

The first couple days of a Kickstarter are always huge, and funding tapers off a lot during the middle. There's usually a spike right near the end, but don't go thinking this is going to be a $500k-a-day project.

jRkfa.png

If we get to design the tavern im up for it.

Dennis

Banned
In fairness to the larger publishers - they probably know that a game like this can sell and be profitable.....its just that they can't be bothered with something on this scale. The game has to be a potential multi-million franchise starter like Assassins Creed, CoD or GTA.

Dresden

Given that there are 32 days left by my calculation they should reach a total of $76,800,000.

Stretch goal: Reach $50,000,000 and Avellone gets a gold plated yacht.

With that kind of money they might even be able to get Patrick Stewart to voice three lines.

Lancehead

It sold because its a good game - of the kind that a lot of people still seem to like - the old-school party RPG.

I think its sales had a lot to with the marketing. The fact that many did not play past the Origins section does say something. That's not a typical "gamers not finishing games" stat. Rather "gamers not even getting into the game". My point is, it would be profitable but niche (Edit: Like your last comment).

Emitan

In fairness to the larger publishers - they probably know that a game like this can sell and be profitable.....its just that they can't be bothered with something on this scale. The game has to be a potential multi-million franchise starter like Assassins Creed, CoD or GTA.

They mentioned carrying your character into sequels in the GameBanshee interview.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
With that kind of money they might even be able to get Patrick Stewart to voice three lines.

Don't be silly, that would cost at least $50million per line!

Anyway, this goes against pretty much everything I have said about Kickstarter, but hey, it's Obsidian. Backed the $20 tier.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Bethesda, EA, and Square-Enix release great games too. I don't understand why people want to label publishers as evil; all they want to do is make sure the games they make are profitable. By backing games like this, we can show them that there is a market for these games after all.

I don't necessarily think they're evil. I do think there is a category of potentially great games that simply will not get made if publishers have a say in the process.

Plust I'm really excited to see what an uber-talented dev studio can do when they are creating the game THEY want to make.

Dennis

Banned
What game has received most money from Kickstarter so far and how much?

Is it that adventure game (forgot the name) or is it Wasteland 2?

Oreoleo

Might have to back my very first Kickstarter. I would follow Obsidian into the mists of Avalon.

Awesome that they can promise Steam support so early on, too.

volturnus

Banned
If we get to design the tavern im up for it.
Help us design PROJECT ETERNITY! Your personalized area will be prominently seen in the shipped game. You can name it (within reason), and with your input, the design team at Obsidian will create an inn or tavern in your honor.

I'm sure they'd let us say what kind of atmosphere we'd like in the tavern and they'll take it from there.
We just need someone to gather the money (nobody has been charged yet, we can all change our pledge before it ends) and create a thread to vote for the tavern, weapon, NPC and armour/artifact.

Only Evil has the kind of money to put this on his card, but he will be in Europe for some time longer so that is not possible.
But the backer doesn't need to have any money other than his own pledge, people would pay him via paypal before backing.

Taruranto

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

The best rpg of the generation is coming!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
278k in how many hours? When did this thing start?

But the backer doesn't need to have any money other than his own pledge, people would pay him via paypal before backing.
Ow right, yeah so we just need a "trusted" person.

Ok so that is doable right?

But if we are really doing that we need a NEW thread, with clear rules.
But still very cool idea.

BeesEight

3) Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG

How did I miss this? I'm glad that the project's not dead at least.

Hm, I'm tempted to actually donate $100 for this but I don't want any of the rewards save my name in the credits. Decisions, decisions.

zkylon

zkylewd
I went for 80 (65 + shipping) without even watching the video (not that it would help since they barely show anything anyways).

Toppot

Someone find my post where I described what the best kickstarter ever would be?

Because...that just happened.

This? =P

Put Avellone, Sawyer, and Cain on the Obsidian Kickstarter project and name it PLANESCAPE TORMENT ISOMETRIC SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR, in all caps. Hire additional security guards for the Obsidian HQ for the legions of mouth-foamers storming it in an attempt to give everyone there a big hug.

Dresden

Golden Penetrator

two-handed greatsword

1d12 + 6

Has a 15% chance to penetrate your enemies, impaling them to the ground and disabling them for three turns.

Top Bottom