• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Fantastic update, and fighting myself from upping to the digital $110 tier. However, I will say that I'm not wholly impressed by that artwork. That's neither here nor there, as it's still very early and basically just a character concept.

Zeliard

The artwork is super-generic but it's depicting a super-generic and archetypal race and class. Hopefully the more 'unusual' character types will spice things up a bit, and I hope the world design in general veers more towards the off-kilter.

There's nothing uniform about these art pieces they're giving us.

It's like: Can I get a glimpse of the actual aesthetic the game is going to go for please?

They likely don't have one nailed down yet. The game is still in the middle of pre-production, so they're probably experimenting and gauging backer reactions. Plus it's only the third piece of official artwork released at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope Edair is a beast tamer.

The artwork is super-generic but it's depicting a super-generic and archetypal race and class. Hopefully the more 'unusual' character types will spice things up a bit, and I hope the world design in general veers more towards the off-kilter.

That's what I'm hoping for. The depth that they've gone into already is impressive, I hope they avoid generics and really go all out visually as well.

Almighty

Pretty unimpressive update for me.

Though I am sure those who speak French, German, or Spanish might disagree. Anyway I like the art they have shown. All two pictures :p that I am sure are specifically for this game.

Zeliard

Pretty unimpressive update for me.

We're getting another Chris Avellone novella. That alone is enough to make the update.

Between writing a novella for both Wasteland 2 and Eternity (I'm curious exactly how lengthy they'll be) and the other work he's tasked with doing, Avellone has got quite a lot on his plate. Man's a writing machine. But then that was already obvious with Torment and its million words.

Almighty

We're getting another Chris Avellone novella. That alone is enough to make the update.

Between writing a novella for both Wasteland 2 and Eternity (I'm curious exactly how lengthy they'll be) and the other work he's tasked with doing, Avellone has got quite a lot on his plate. Man's a writing machine. But then that was already obvious with Torment and its million words.

I am going to try and put this as diplomatically as I can. Since Chris Avellone seems to be the patron saint of RPGs or at least RPG writing around here. :p I like Avellone's writing, but not enough for me to get excited for the novella. Even though I did back it enough already to get it. I guess you could chalk it up to me not having played Planescape: Torment yet. Which I it looks like many consider to be his masterpiece.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

"My name is Edair, at your service m'lord. I have been tasked with the removal of certain beasts located around your illustrious estate. Expect to be rid of these quarrelsome animals within the hour! I am, after all, the squirrel tamer around these parts."

Sharp

I wouldn't call Avellone a fantastic writer, but he is conservatively one of the best in videogames and on par with a lot of literary fantasy writers. I'd read a novella by him for sure.

zkylon

zkylewd
More languages is always cool, makes the thing more "democratic", so to speak...

I'm not a big fan of fantasy books, so I don't really care about the novella, but more stuff is always nice, specially if it's penned by MCA :)

speedpop

The good thing about the novella is that it'll take an hour or two to read through it and consume it. It'd be even better if it came out prior to the game to familiarize us with the world that they have crafted together.

Eusis

I wouldn't call Avellone a fantastic writer, but he is conservatively one of the best in videogames and on par with a lot of literary fantasy writers. I'd read a novella by him for sure.
That was basically my only serious hesitation beyond the price point for the novella: he may be good at game writing, but will I really care when separated from games? You just look at Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and... actually I think some of that crappy vibe was there in games like Lost Odyssey, so maybe that's more a case of Hironobu Sakaguchi just not being that great of a story teller. Still, I feel like being in a game enhances a lot of this writing for whatever reason, whether it's because of the sense of it being a REWARD or the fact there's some degree of interactivity tied in, possibly doubling as a barrier to fully comparing them subconsciously to other works. Still, Avellone does seem to be one of those who'd create the more enjoyable out-of-game writing regardless of how it holds up against the greater works.

Trigger

I don't have much interest in the novella really. I imagine it's centered around this world, but I don't know shit about this universe really (excluding the few recent updates) nor do I know anything about the characters and factions.

DTKT

I don't have much interest in the novella really. I imagine it's centered around this world, but I don't know shit about this universe really (excluding the few recent updates) nor do I know anything about the characters and factions.

Novella could be a great way to introduce a small fraction of that universe. :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Given Europe's PC market and the amount of text this game will (probably) contain, I think it's smart to commit to the translations.

lol, it would be smart if there were Polish and Russian translations - the countries where people still care about this kind of game. What will earn them Spanish translation? Puny CRPG market in Spain? People in US who don't speak English? Yeah, I see a huge potential in this audience. Meanwhile people who still buy localized Baldur's Gate in stores are cockblocked by language barrier. Smart.

Eusis

Not when a writer can usually do anywhere between 1,000 to 5,000 words a day.
There's still editing and writer's block, along with revisions.

Of course, at worst he's doing the equivalent of one shorter novel, not a Game of Thrones novel or something.
That's for the games themselves!

speedpop

There's still editing and writer's block, along with revisions.

I know all of these problems first-hand. I'm simply backing up my claim. If Avellone is sticking his hand in to the swirling pot of creativity on both projects, then I imagine he won't have too many problems. Wasteland 2 will be a homecoming for him and Project Eternity will be a breath of fresh air in a setting he enjoys thoroughly. I'm not too concerned about whether he can write these within the time-frame allotted because I am sure he is the man behind the calling cards in the first place. He knows his own work schedule far better than us.

It probably helps a lot to know that the money is there and there are no other external finance factors to consider. The weight that is placed upon on a writer to divide art versus commerce is intense. All the best for his efforts.

Eusis

I know all of these problems first-hand. I'm simply backing up my claim. If Avellone is sticking his hand in to the swirling pot of creativity on both projects, then I imagine he won't have too many problems. Wasteland 2 will be a homecoming for him and Project Eternity will be a breath of fresh air in a setting he enjoys thoroughly. I'm not too concerned about whether he can write these within the time-frame allotted because I am sure he is the man behind the calling cards in the first place. He knows his own work schedule far better than us.

It probably helps a lot to know that the money is there and there are no other external finance factors to consider. The weight that is placed upon on a writer to divide art versus commerce is intense. All the best for his efforts.
And admittedly he does have, what, about 2 years for this stuff? Some writers put out novels yearly so long as health and other such problems don't get in the way, I imagine this is going to be on the back burner until closer to release anyway.

So I assume the novella will be digital? Otherwise they really don't seem to get the point of all digital with a physical postcard and book. Although I personally wouldn't mind if they stuck an extra book in my box.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The novella for Wasteland iirc was digital, so I imagine this one will be- and that they won't actually make you pay for shipping the postcard.

"Thank you! Also, could you give us £10 so we can thank you properly?"

Digoman

I like the idea of novellas to introduce me to the world, specially for one I'm anticipating like this one, and while I don't think Avellone will have big trouble, between Wasteland 2 and this he has a lot of work to do :).

lol, it would be smart if there were Polish and Russian translations - the countries where people still care about this kind of game. What will earn them Spanish translation? Puny CRPG market in Spain? People in US who don't speak English? Yeah, I see a huge potential in this audience. Meanwhile people who still buy localized Baldur's Gate in stores are cockblocked by language barrier. Smart.

It's not really just about knowing English... but about reading a lot of text. If there is little voice acting, some people may prefer to do all this reading on their native language.

As to what languages are worth it... I couldn't find stats on countries for Wasteland 2, which would be the best comparison, but Doublefine did a breakdown for their adventure: Both Russia and Poland were less then 1%. Spain had 1%, France 2% and Germany was the highest non-english speaking country with 5%. There are several latin-american countries also in the "less then 1%". With all that, since German, French and Spanish translations are probably the easiest/cheapest ones to make, they *should* the best choice. They may add little, but since there are still less then 50k bakers, everything to help keep momentum is good.

Lancehead

As to what languages are worth it... I couldn't find stats on countries for Wasteland 2, which would be the best comparison, but Doublefine did a breakdown for their adventure: Both Russia and Poland were less then 1%. Spain had 1%, France 2% and Germany was the highest non-english speaking country with 5%. There are several latin-american countries also in the "less then 1%". With all that, since German, French and Spanish translations are probably the easiest/cheapest ones to make, they *should* the best choice. They may add little, but since there are still less then 50k bakers, everything to help keep momentum is good.

Yeah but they're going to sell this game and having Polish and Russian languages is going to get them probably more sales than Spanish or French.

Zeliard

That was basically my only serious hesitation beyond the price point for the novella: he may be good at game writing, but will I really care when separated from games? You just look at Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, and... actually I think some of that crappy vibe was there in games like Lost Odyssey, so maybe that's more a case of Hironobu Sakaguchi just not being that great of a story teller. Still, I feel like being in a game enhances a lot of this writing for whatever reason, whether it's because of the sense of it being a REWARD or the fact there's some degree of interactivity tied in, possibly doubling as a barrier to fully comparing them subconsciously to other works. Still, Avellone does seem to be one of those who'd create the more enjoyable out-of-game writing regardless of how it holds up against the greater works.

I don't think I've ever actually read a single outside work based on a video game, but the Avellone novellas intrigue me not just because of the writer but also because I'm quite excited to delve into these worlds. And it'll be fun to see what Avellone can do with a prose narrative.

Novella could be a great way to introduce a small fraction of that universe. :)

Yeah, I'm curious when they're going to release them, and what they'll ultimately function as. They'd work beautifully as a prologue of sorts to the main story, or as some sort of alternate side-story that introduces the setting and offers up some background lore on the races/factions and such while not necessarily tying into the main plot of the games. Either one would potentially work very well as a prelude to playing the game.

Digoman

Yeah, I'm curious when they're going to release them, and what they'll ultimately function as. They'd work beautifully as a prologue of sorts to the main story, or as some sort of alternate side-story that introduces the setting and offers up some background lore on the races/factions and such while not necessarily tying into the main plot of the games. Either one would potentially work very well as a prelude to playing the game.

Since it's going to be a long wait for this game, I hope they go with the prologue scenario, releasing a couple months before the game. Not some required reading to enjoy the game, but a good first glimpse of the world to help drum up interest, and a reminder to every backer that "we are almost there".

Yeah but they're going to sell this game and having Polish and Russian languages is going to get them probably more sales than Spanish or French.

For sales of the finished product, I completely agree (specially a Russian translation). But right now, on this kickstarter phase, I think the announced languages are probably more effective to keep momentum. Of course, it would be easier to form a opinion if I knew the breakdown for Wasteland 2 but my google skills have failed me (and it's 3 am over here).

duckroll

I don't think I've ever actually read a single outside work based on a video game, but the Avellone novellas intrigue me not just because of the writer but also because I'm quite excited to delve into these worlds. And it'll be fun to see what Avellone can do with a prose narrative.

He wrote the bonus comic which came with Fallout New Vegas. It was pretty bad. Lol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

yes, that's because it's Kickstarter, a site in English, not relatively known outside US, with payment methods not popular in these countries (95% of sales in Poland are through retail) and so on. I was talking about long-term goals. If you put the game on Steam and retail (with some ads) people will notice it. Wasteland 2 will be translated in Polish and Russian btw.

New digital bundle is exactly what I wanted, up to 110 over 35. Thrilled we're going to hit 2 million no problem. Any guesses at what it'll cap out out? I'm thinking 2.4 million myself.

Ledsen

Not interested in the novella at all, video game derivative works tend to suck without exception. Not even Avellone is enough to pique my curiosity.

Yep, a mistake to omit those, considering the hardcore RPG PC userbase is so strong in those countries.

mclem

image-162519-full.jpg

I'd like to believe that Edair is a distant cousin of Commander Blair from the Wing Commander series.

Top Bottom