• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Durante

Honestly I can't really think of an Obsidian developed art direction that was great (or even good really) since they turned into Obsidian.
Kaelyn_portrait.jpg

I really liked MotB's art. But yeah, I don't play Obsidian games to be blown away graphically.

Though I don't really understand the hate for DS3 in this area specifically, IMHO it's their most graphically impressive game -- and one of the nicest looking games in its genre overall, with some great animation, effects and lighting.

Sentenza

Though I don't really understand the hate for DS3 in this area specifically, IMHO it's their most graphically impressive game -- and one of the nicest looking games in its genre overall, with some great animation, effects and lighting.
I can't really say I liked, but at least it was somehow more lively than NWN2, which I always found extremely ugly.

About armor design, I'm all for "simple and cool". Just to give a reference, I can't stand wacky and cheesy stuff like the Draedric armor in TES.
Personally I would love something that could pair style with practicality, like The Witcher 2.

Or something like this

(...Can I post all these images at once or i'm going to get banned?)

I'll always hate the "it's not relatable" excuse as to why so-called visionaries refuse to try something new, and usually its the reason why we end up with so many boring dull human characters in Fantasy and SciFi settings.

The reason why they are visionaries is because they have a vision.

That is not mutually exclusive with risk.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't really say I liked, but at least it was somehow more lively than NWN2, which I always found extremely ugly.

About armor design, I'm all for "simple and cool". Just to give a reference, I can't stand wacky and cheesy stuff like the Draedric armor in TES.
Personally I would love something that could pair style with practicality, like The Witcher 2.

Or something like this

What's that from? It's great.

Sentenza

What's that from? It's great.
Those are concept arts made by Wes Burt of Massive Black (a company that does art outsourcing for software houses) for Lords of The Rings Online.
More specifically for the new Rohan-themed expansion.

Which also gives me the chance to say that I find hilarious when people mix Tolkien with the "generic D&D crap", because despise spawning a shitload of very derivative copycats, Tolkien's work was anything but generic.

SerRodrik

Or something like this

An example I always go back to is the elite knight's armor set from Dark Souls.

It's one of my favorite armor designs in an RPG, and part of that is because it's so simple, believable, and realistic. I think that can lend a lot to a world, I don't think a fantasy world needs to be "weird" to be interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh right, Massive Black. They're amazing. They even made Dragon Age look incredible.

Andrew Jones of Retro fame (many of the amazing Metroid Prime concept arts) actually works there as a creative director now after he left Retro.

Sentenza

An example I always go back to is the elite knight's armor set from Dark Souls.

It's one of my favorite armor designs in an RPG, and part of that is because it's so simple, believable, and realistic. I think that can lend a lot to a world, I don't think a fantasy world needs to be "weird" to be interesting.
My favorite armor in Dark Souls is the Eastern Armor, and yes, there is a lot of cool stuff in that game.

npc_shivaoftheeast.jpg

But generally speaking it's a mixed bag, with both very simple and believable and very wacky armors and weapons.

Lancehead

Kaelyn_portrait.jpg

I really liked MotB's art. But yeah, I don't play Obsidian games to be blown away graphically.

It's horrific how Kaelyn looked in the actual game after such beautiful art.

Like this:
180px-Kaelyn.jpg

The other companions were also pretty good; I especially liked Safiya.
130px-0%2C128%2C2%2C115-Safiya_portrait.jpg

Lancehead

I don't really have an issue with what Sawyer wrote or what they seem to be going for. Because when it comes to weapon and armour design I look for two things:

Functionality
Beauty

And in that order.
Conservative design can achieve both. If you want something unusual, weird or alien, sure you can have, but it'll be unusual, weird or alien, not necessarily more functional or more beautiful. And if Obsidian can't make conservative designs functional or beautiful, there's no guarantee they can do it with other type of design.

So to me the worry would be, as duckroll said, how art translates into the game. But Eternity is isometric so there's less chance of that happening poorly.

I also think Alpha Protocol had pretty good art. Especially the safe houses. I think we have the safehouse artist on GAF.

Why people assume that fantasy=weird worlds, bombastic armors and shit ?

Fantasy created for sake of fantasy is bad fantasy in my opinion. Just look at WoW and other countless MMORPGs. Gigantic nonpractical armors, dumb swords, oversized hammers buildings with wings and creatures which whole existance is to be killed by player.

Welcome to 99% of modern fantasy. Face it, generic variety a la LotR sells, and that what publishers and developers to lesser extent are interested in.

EVOL 100%

Yeah, safe art direction doesn't necessarily mean generic or bad.

The art that you guys posted are brilliant, and if this game looks like that I'd be more than happy.

I'm not holding my breath though :(

lol, it would be smart if there were Polish and Russian translations - the countries where people still care about this kind of game. What will earn them Spanish translation? Puny CRPG market in Spain? People in US who don't speak English? Yeah, I see a huge potential in this audience. Meanwhile people who still buy localized Baldur's Gate in stores are cockblocked by language barrier. Smart.

That's hardly a problem - Cenega (part of 1C group) or CDP will probably buy rights for boxed release of this game and do translation for it in Poland.

Welcome to 99% of modern fantasy. Face it, generic variety a la LotR sells, and that what publishers and developers to lesser extent are interested in.

I don't think that was his point. He was saying the attempts to be 'different' can be just as crappy. At least this game won't have pandas.

Lancehead

So we should be getting this update today (from Sawyer):

N.B.: I know I said I'd talk about mechanics today. I forgot that I had already said I'd talk about technology earlier. Sorry! The next update I do will talk about non-combat skills the nature of classes in Project Eternity.

Tim's already talked about non-combat skills, so we should be getting info on classes.

lol, I wish I knew.

As long as the tag is accurate...

I like the translation thing (we are going to get spanish so thats good) but I dont understand why they left italian when its the typical pal 5 when games translations are done in europe.
Also I hope they get someone good to translate in spanish like the guy who translates the Geralt saga books (the witcher), as its one of the best translations I have ever seen, becuase the work of the one that translates the games is underwhelming.

Lime

I don't get why they are playing it safe in terms of art-style, when the whole Kickstarter is about finally being allowed to take risks and innovate the genre, not only in a mechanical and narrative sense, but also in an aesthetic sense. Of course Obsidian are allowed to do what they need to do, but making uninspired and tired concept art isn't what I would find appealing for a fan-funded Kickstarter project.

Or maybe their concept artists are simply not capable of anything better than producing what we have seen and Sawyer & Co. have to make an excuse for them.

_machine

I don't get why they are playing it safe in terms of art-style, when the whole Kickstarter is about finally being allowed to take risks and innovate the genre, not only in a mechanical and narrative sense, but also in an aesthetic sense. Of course Obsidian are allowed to do what they need to do, but making uninspired and tired concept art isn't what I would find appealing for a fan-funded Kickstarter project.

Or maybe their concept artists are simply not capable of anything better than producing what we have seen and Sawyer & Co. have to make an excuse for them.
I don't think it's about playing it safe, they probably just want to focus on realistic design (which doesn't need to be boring).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Two million dollars worth of visceral, mature, cinematic, romance laden role playing.

Lime

I don't think it's about playing it safe, they probably just want to focus on realistic design (which doesn't need to be boring).

I interpreted this comment as them not wanting to upset other people, but I may be incorrect:

iTVnM0QctuJDo.png

I agree that a realistic art style doesn't need to be boring, though. I'm just afraid that they'll play it too safe and we'll get something along the lines of Risen or Two Worlds, when something like Dark Souls or The Witcher 2 have proven that unusual aesthetics are able to improve the experience dramatically.

DTKT

I interpreted this comment as them not wanting to upset other people, but I may be incorrect:

iTVnM0QctuJDo.png

I agree that a realistic art style doesn't need to be boring, though. I'm just afraid that they'll play it too safe and we'll get something along the lines of Risen or Two Worlds, when something like Dark Souls or The Witcher 2 have proven that unusual aesthetics are able to improve the experience dramatically.

I'm sure it's possible to strike a nice balance between the two. Sure, let humans be pretty normal looking but have some more strange and weird stuff for other races or some locations.

xenist

This "artstyle" argument has been repeated ad nauseum about DA:O too and it pissed me off back then as much as it does now. There is a huge variety of realistic and aesthetically pleasing combinations or armor and equipment to be used. I don't see why a bunch of spikes and stupidly large shoulder armor are better looking than a Lorica Segmentata or the beautiful plate armor used in the late Middle Ages-Early Rennaisance era.

And The Witcher 2 had an extremely realistic artstyle.

Midou

While I do love the rag tag team you can get in Planescape, I'm okay with this just being an awesome more traditional medieval fantasy game. I assume from their initial description and because of who they are, it will not just be a generic romp anyways.

Top Bottom