• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

dionysus

Yaldog
Its not necessarily about "wacky" armor design as much as it would be about the kind of armor that would arise in a, call it an alien environment or culture. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the art directors behind Magic: the Gathering lately. I mean, we could be reading waaaaay more into that comment then intended, but...

This. The best fantasy world building shows us how the magic system or whatever makes the world fantastic influences every aspect of the technology and culture of that universe.

Too often we get earth middle ages + fireballs and demons. The culture is not influenced, the technology is not influenced, and the magic system is just a tool to cover up the deux ex machina the author employs to tell his story.

Not particularly interested in the translations, honestly. Most of the people interested in the project already know English anyway. I'd rather prefer if they focused resources elsewhere..

Maybe they are targeting specific markets. No Scandinavian will ever mind that a game is solely available in English. They are accustomed to hearing English dubs (usually combined with reading subtitles) But many countries keep sticking to dubbing English spoken films for example. Countries like France, Germany, Spain, probably Russia as well. So they might attract more funding from those territories with localization as a stretch goal.

(Personally I don't care for it either.)

This "artstyle" argument has been repeated ad nauseum about DA:O too and it pissed me off back then as much as it does now. There is a huge variety of realistic and aesthetically pleasing combinations or armor and equipment to be used. I don't see why a bunch of spikes and stupidly large shoulder armor are better looking than a Lorica Segmentata or the beautiful plate armor used in the late Middle Ages-Early Rennaisance era.

And The Witcher 2 had an extremely realistic artstyle.

What I find more annoying is when a fantasy setting ends up being weird looking seemingly for the sake of being weird looking or putting style over substance. I prefer an aesthetic that looks at least plausible, punctuated by the fantastical.

Like Dragon Age:Origins to Dragon Age 2- most of the changes in Dragon Age 2 just had the elves becoming anorexic donkey people who don't wear shoes, every piece of armor becoming super jaggy and laden with spikes and just bizarre outfits for the sake of looking "unique," like Flemeth's new look or the darkspawn wearing S&M gear. Origins could have used some improvement, but the shift to DA2 was dumb.

I'm fine with something more akin to The Witcher or Game of Thrones in terms of visuals.So long as you can get a feel for the various cultures and subcultures' architecture, clothing, armor and weapons being the product of their history and environments, then I'm ok. Giving most of the world a more grounded look can make anything that is more overtly fantastical stand out that much more too.

But I'm more than willing to wait and see more art before judging it too much one way or the other. So far we've just seen this human guy and the dwarf ranger, not even much in the way of geography or landscapes or architecture or other races.

Trigger

I'm fine with the direction so far. The difference between a generic fantasy setting and a detailed one is in the characterization. I think visual is a small part of characterization.

While I do love the rag tag team you can get in Planescape, I'm okay with this just being an awesome more traditional medieval fantasy game. I assume from their initial description and because of who they are, it will not just be a generic romp anyways.

this is sorta me. i was a bit disappointed by their choosing to go more traditional fantasy, but i am holding out hope that they make it interesting in some way. i am also not as fatigued on traditional fantasy as some people apparently are.

Trigger

this is sorta me. i was a bit disappointed by their choosing to go more traditional fantasy, but i am holding out hope that they make it interesting in some way. i am also not as fatigued on traditional fantasy as some people apparently are.

You don't think the souls concept is interesting?

Project Update #9: Update #9 - The power of MODES and Godlike races: Our $2.3M Stretch Goal
Posted by Obsidian Entertainment

We love giving players options: character build options, personality options, story options -- all the options you might want to play around with. We recognize that many players also want to play the game their way and have an experience that matches their particular RPG tastes. RPG fans share a lot of common ground, but on matters of visible mechanical feedback, complexity, and the overall level of punitive face-punching a game provides, there's a big spectrum of opinions. In a lot of cases, it's not too hard for us to provide options to turn an individual feature on or off, so we want to make that possible when resources permit us to do so.

Additionally, even among the ranks of RPG superfans, there exists a subset of players who can't get enough challenge. They want all of the difficulty features set to "I am pro." Collectively, we've worked on a bunch of these challenge modes in the past and enjoyed the results. Project Eternity seems like a very appropriate place to highlight suites of these difficulty options as distinct gameplay modes that players can opt-into at the beginning of any game. We've come up with three modes we'd like to support, which also includes the ability to turn many of their sub-features on and off on an individual level in an ordinary game: Expert Mode, Trial of Iron, and Path of the Damned.

Expert Mode will disable all of the common ease-of-use / in-case-you-missed it gameplay elements like the display of skill thresholds, influence/reputation modifiers, and similar "helper" information. In a fashion similar to Fallout: New Vegas' Hardcore Mode, Expert Mode will also enable more punitive and demanding gameplay elements, in and out of combat. We're not saying we're going to have weighty gold (for real, we're not saying that), but if we did, you can bet that would be automatically turned on by Expert Mode.

If you guessed that Trial of Iron is like Temple of Elemental Evil's Ironman Mode, you guessed right. When you start a Trial of Iron game, you have one save game that persists for the entire campaign... or until you die. And if you die, your save game is deleted. Enjoy!

Path of the Damned is a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode. In our encounters, we like to turn individual combatants on and off based on the level of difficulty. If you come into an area on Easy, maybe casters are replaced with weak melee enemies. If you come in on Hard, maybe the casters are augmented by a tough melee enemy or two. With Path of the Damned, that goes out the window. All enemies from all levels of difficulty are enabled and the combat mechanics are amplified to make battles much more brutal for everyone involved.

The first question you may have is, "Can I enable multiple challenge modes at once?" Yep, you sure can. They have to be selected at the beginning of the game, but if you want to play with two or all three at the same time, you can certainly can do so. If you're not quite sure you want all of the elements that come along with a given mode, this funding level will also cover implementing the ability to enable and disable the individual sub-features.

Along with these modes, we also want to introduce the Godlike races. These folks have been described previously as being similar to the humanoid "planetouched" in D&D: aasimar, tieflings, and genasi. That is a good high-level description of them, but they are viewed differently by various factions, faiths, and cultures in the world of Project Eternity. Godlike were "blessed" before birth by one or more of the meddling deities of this world. Though their appearances vary, they are unmistakeably otherworldly when anyone gets a clear look at them. Sometimes, the reaction they get is overwhelmingly positive. Many times, the reaction is overwhelmingly not. For better or worse, the physical "gifts" that mark them as Godlike always come with supernatural blessings (and curses) of their own.

The first question you may have after reading this may be, "Hey, what about the other races that have already been funded?" Those races are in the process of being fully designed and concepted -- and they can't be summarized quite as simply as "sort of like planetouched". We'll have more for you on those guys in the not-too-distant future. Thanks again for your support, your patience, and your questions.

Update from Josh Sawyer

In addition to today's update, we've got a few backer badges for you, including one for the fantastic Obsidian Order of Eternity!
!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hot damn that expert and one life mode sounds like the perfect start for me. I know my choice first time it seems!

Lancehead

The first question you may have is, "Can I enable multiple challenge modes at once?" Yep, you sure can. They have to be selected at the beginning of the game, but if you want to play with two or all three at the same time, you can certainly can do so. If you're not quite sure you want all of the elements that come along with a given mode, this funding level will also cover implementing the ability to enable and disable the individual sub-features.

Brilliant!

Almighty

Nice broke two million and a new update. Great way to start the day.

Expert Mode sounds like it might be fun to play with, but the other two sound a little hardcore for old Almighty here. I might try Trial of Iron at least once, but I will pass on Path of the Damned.

peakish

Godlike races sounds like what you guys want to see. Hints towards in-world discrimination are expected but of course nice - as long as it does matter in the end and doesn't just give some flavour text in interactions. 'Course it depends on if some of these will be for PC's or companions...

Three expert switches are great.

xenist

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

These modes scream multiple replays to me. One playthrough on whatever difficulty level they have that's one click above normal so I can enjoy the sweet, sweet Avellone writing and then it's challenge mode time.

Funny thing, am I the only one that doesn't care at all about difficulty and only about the races? Anyway, I do hope that they'll make it to that stretch goal when all is said and done.

April 2014 seems like forever already. If they keep adding features... Oh my.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if I'd want all the features on Expert mode, but the ability to pick and choose will be amazing. And Trial of Iron sounds like a great method to stop me save scumming. I mean, uh, those other bad players save scumming. Yeah.

peakish

New update isn't for me. I'm a play it on normal kind of guy. But whatevs. The plane-touched analogs sound interesting, though.
Oh but it is for you too. The options work both ways, you won't have to worry as much about them making tons of hardcore decisions to please that market without having some control over it :)

I guess that is a fair point. But I'm willing to bet if they didn't have the money for the hardcore modes they would put out just a pretty standard normal.

peakish

I guess that is a fair point. But I'm willing to bet if they didn't have the money for the hardcore modes they would put out just a pretty standard normal.
Perhaps, although these stretch goals seem more like a drip feed of hype than actual hypothetical scenarios to me - it might have been in regardless.

Anyway, a very minor detail and pure speculation :p I mostly agree with your hypothesis.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not sure if I'd want all the features on Expert mode, but the ability to pick and choose will be amazing.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I want the option of disabling quest markers, if they're even there to begin with, but Expert Mode sounds like it won't have even a quest log or something...

Also, someone gif JE saying "hellooooooooo"

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I want the option of disabling quest markers, if they're even there to begin with, but Expert Mode sounds like it won't have even a quest log or something...

Also, someone gif JE saying "hellooooooooo"

I'm not sure quest markers (or fast travel) would be in, but hopefully if they are the game isn't totally designed around them- i.e., no fetch quests that take you between two towns on opposite sides of the world and back again, the ability to work where things are just from the quest log. And I don't think they'll remove the log entirely even in Expert mode- it's kind of a necessity more than a 'helper' luxury.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
How buggy are Obsidian games on average at launch? Then again, at launch, bugs are to be expected on anything where updates are possible

Hahahahaha.

Hahaha.

HahahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

They have a reputation for creating the most bug-ridden games in the industry, though with the complexity of the games they make it's not that surprising. It's also hard to say whether they're any worse than, say, Bethesda.

Perkel

Banned
Oh yes Iron Mode and Expert for me at 1st play.

When my party will die i will start all over again and again and again. Already playing BG2 Iron mode was amazing preparing various things you wouldn't even consider playing normally.

What if they blind my fighter ?
Thief in Iron-mode is more important than any fighter mage or whatever.
Real reason to hide and ly traps.
Do i have escape route ?
What is near battle site ? I don't want to see my scared mage go to some beasts.
Spell scrolls i need a lot of them and potions.
Greese a lot of spell greese to slow down enemy.
Fear of going into unknown dungeon.
I need veeeery high pickpocket chance and stealing everything is not an option anymore.
If someone die it's for good (if character died permanently)
Constant lack of cash because most of it you used for spells and potions.

All above simply cannot be replicated in normal playthr. because save/load invalidate all above.

Sentenza

They have a reputation for creating the most bug-ridden games in the industry, though with the complexity of the games they make it's not that surprising. It's also hard to say whether they're any worse than, say, Bethesda.
That's actually a "reputation" shared by pretty much every single RPG developer that went for ambitious design instead of linear "cinematic" stuff.

Origin games were often very buggy at launch, Troika games too, and the same goes for early Bioware stuff, Black Isle, Darklands, Might & Magic, TES and so on...

People apparently have some problem accepting this but the truth is: the more big and complex your game is going to be, the more bugs become likely, because testing the whole thing becomes a nightmare.

Zeliard

That's actually a "reputation" shared by pretty much every single RPG developer that went for ambitious design instead of linear "cinematic" stuff.

Origin games were often very buggy at launch, Troika games too, and the same goes for early Bioware stuff, Black Isle, Darklands, Might & Magic, TES and so on...

People apparently have some problem accepting this but the truth is: the more big and complex your game is going to be, the more bugs become likely, because testing the whole thing becomes a nightmare.

It's the worst meme in gaming.

Durante

How buggy are Obsidian games on average at launch? Then again, at launch, bugs are to be expected on anything where updates are possible
The average isn't that great, but they seem to be getting better over time. In terms of bugs: Kotor 2 was terrible at launch by all accounts, and so was NWN2. The NWN2 expansions were much better. Alpha Protocol was also fine (at least the PC version I played). Dungeon Siege 3 was completely bug-free (but of course it was less complex in terms of testing than any of their other games).

Perkel

Banned

I still don't get why people treat bugs like some deal breaker. I played most of RPGs in my life and yes there were bugs but i even once said: Ok i'm not playing it anymore because quality of title is something more than simple works like toyota. Planescape was bug riden but it is my best game ever made. Sure i can play Neverwinter Nights 1 but bugfree game won't change that this is shitty game.

I would love to see they will go mad with features even if this means there will be bugs. That's something that community can repair and make game best game ever. Arcanum, Planescape, Bloodlines, Fallout all of them had problems and now most of them are fixed.

What is at the end is superpolished game that is full of features.

I've been trying to think of ways this game can fail and the more I think about it, the more impossible it seems.

This will be legendary.

Dennis

Banned
I love jank and bugs in niche RPGs and other genres like open-world and ARMA games.

It tells me that the developer has been sufficiently ambitious with the complexity.

Why would it have DRM?It will be on gog.

boxed version.

after the no-drm announcement for the digital version last week, they were asked if the same applied to the boxed version, and they said they didn't know yet.

I haven't followed since then so I don't know if they've clarified.

Top Bottom