• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

NV would definitely have been further enhanced if the skill dialogue choices simply didn't show up if you don't meet the criteria. :)
Agreed. The first time you see an option related to a skill pop up, it should be obvious that others might be left out for the same reason.

FellowGAF, I have a problem.

I'm a bit over-budget, but have found a solution:

I either downpledge from $35 to $20, or I cancel my XCOM pre-order.

What should I do, GAF?

Grayman

Path of the Damned sounds pretty interesting.

I'd need to see what Expert Mode actually turns off before deciding on it. Especially if I'm doing Path of the Damned, it could turn off way more than I want it to.

hard encounters that rely on maximizing the combat system would not mix well with turning off feedback info.

peakish

What should I do, GAF?
$20 won't give you the game anymore, right? I mean as that tier is full. Anyway I'd bump down to $25 and buy a weeks worth of noodles to make my budget.

Did they reveal details about how the engine would work? I always imagine this as a 3D Infinity Engine game, with the default view being isometric.

Sentenza

Did they reveal details about how the engine would work? I always imagine this as a 3D Infinity Engine game, with the default view being isometric.
From what they said so far, seems like the intended goal is 2D backdrops and 3D character models/monsters.
Like ToEE.

mclem

Gets a bit silly with the INFLUENCE +6, shifted 1 point towards Evil, BARTER 15/35, etc type stuff. Don't tell me that shit mang.

I'd like one of the settings to be a *themed* version of that, so it doesn't talk in terms of points, just in terms of how confident you feel and body language, that sort of thing.

Dennis

Banned
*Expert mode enable, Trial of Iron enable, Path of the Damned enable*

"Hey there Mr. Orc, could stand still I need to take a screenshot?"

*takes a spear to the knee*

"Thats cool, I will just auto-load last save......"

*fist through monitor*

mclem

What should I do, GAF?

You don't *really* need to eat for a month, do you?

More seriously: You can support XCom later. You can only really support Project Eternity now.

Corto

*fist through monitor*

Press the space bar to pause :p

You don't *really* need to eat for a month, do you?

More seriously: You can support XCom later. You can only really support Project Eternity now.

Real life is fucking garbage.

I want my yum-yums.

I might very well cancel my pre-order. It's just some new armor and the ability to change colors, anyway.

BUT SELF.
THAT IS EVERYTHING.

Zeliard

I'd like one of the settings to be a *themed* version of that, so it doesn't talk in terms of points, just in terms of how confident you feel and body language, that sort of thing.

Anything more organic would be preferable.

I particularly have a problem with it in a game like MotB which otherwise features strong companions and interesting dialogue with them. It not only tells you exactly when you've gained or lost influence with them, but how much it shifted by, and then also the running total. Even without looking at any outside info you quickly realize that there's a threshold of 50 Influence that rewards you with feats from that character (and to that character), and another threshold at 75, and so on.

So instead of having natural conversations with them, you become strongly encouraged to essentially game the system and try to attain high influence with all of them to attain their gifts, loading saves if you have to.

They do try to balance it out a bit in some sense with how influence with one character
(One of Many)
can go up as it goes down with another
(Kaelyn the Dove)
since they are diametrically opposed in morality (though even then it's feasible to get high influence with both), but I would have much preferred keeping all of that stuff behind the scenes. You can tell from their responses when they are satisfied or annoyed with what you've had to say; there's no real need to throw numbers at you and impact the natural flow of the conversations.

wrowa

What should I do, GAF?

This is totally unrelated to your dilemma, but it just reminded me of something: Whatever happened to the promised PayPal option? I think they talked about PayPal on the second day already, but so far nothing has happpened in that regard. Or did I miss it?

duckroll

This is totally unrelated to your dilemma, but it just reminded me of something: Whatever happened to the promised PayPal option? I think they talked about PayPal on the second day already, but so far nothing has happpened in that regard. Or did I miss it?

They still have their personal site up: http://eternity.obsidian.net

It still says Paypal support is coming "very soon". So probably just another Obsidian style delay. Maybe they tried setting it up and there was a fatal bug. Or it crashed. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

*fist through monitor*

If this is a proper CRPG, just remake the scene in Excel.

Glaurungr

Here's an interview with Adam Brennecke on the PA Report.

Also, new concept art:

r72GD.jpg

At least Cadegund makes sense in a medieval setting, Radegund is plain anachronistic in this day and age.

Yeah, I was being facetious. One letter makes barely any difference at all :p

Anyways, more speculation needed, I feel - anyone got any ideas on companions or characters they'd like to see given what we know of the game so far? Soul-possessed weaponry doesn't sound outside the realm of possibility. How about a battle-axe possessed with the soul of a peace-loving silver-tongued diplomat :D

Lancehead

I don't see what's so strange about boobplates. They're slightly less practical than breastplates but fine on their own. And I think they're a good compromise between practicality and style.

Herla

It says October 3rd in the FAQ.

"Yes! We will have a PayPal account set up on October 3rd. We want to make sure we have offered all the tiers and add-ons asked for by the Kickstarter community before offering Paypal, since modifying your pledge with Paypal is more difficult than with Kickstarter. Thank you for your patience."

So this means they're thinking about adding even more rewards...so much stuff!

Sentenza

Can't say I'm particularly fond of the concept art they are showing so far.
Nothing terrible, but it isn't really nothing terrific, either.

HoosTrax

Can't say I'm particularly fond of the concept art they are showing so far.
Nothing terrible, but it isn't really nothing terrific, either.
I'm kind of fond of the artwork from the two Icewind Dale games. There was something otherworldly about the character artwork in that game. Kind of hard to put into words exactly what it was.

Durante

I understand the need for weird names, but Cadegund just seems like they mashed letters together.
I don't think so. The -gund ending for female names has tons of history in germanic (and nordic?) culture. And "Cade" isn't a terribly unlikely prefix either. /geek

I'm not terribly fond of the art though.

Hargenx

Take this gun out of my sight... ;__;

Worst of all, again a woman with a gun, please, please, remember the error in DS3...

197301-header.jpg

DTKT

The art looks kind of bleh. It's nothing to write home about but it's not bad either. I guess "bland" is the right word here.

I mean, if you want to show some "high-level" concept stuff, do a full landscape or an environment piece. Just characters really doesn't tell us much about the world. ;|

I'm kind of fond of the artwork from the two Icewind Dale games. There was something otherworldly about the character artwork in that game. Kind of hard to put into words exactly what it was.

Yes, I feel the same way; really captured an ethereal feeling with the loose, painterly style. The artwork in that game is fucking beautiful.

Top Bottom