• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

Labadal

These music samples sound very good to me. Justin Bell did a good job.

Tomorrow's update will be really interesting. It's a subject that is really important and it will be interesting to read/listen to.

Emitan

Dropped my pledge down to the lowest one that gets me a copy of the game. I'm an idiot who shouldn't be spending $100 on a game while unemployed.

The music is pretty nice, Baldur's Gateish even - Which is very good. The best kind of epic.

Yeah, I really liked how it sounded. If Justin Bell can get the rest of the soundtrack sounding as good as what he did so far, that'll be pretty great. The music is one of the key things that sticks with me from the Infinity Engine games.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Did they mention how much the story going to change based on your race/gender? Hopefully they make a goal at 2.6 millions for something like dragon age 1, replaying the new game with another race/gender isn't that attractive if the only thing changes are the aligment, relationship, and stats.

Trigger

Did they mention how much the story going to change based on your race/gender? Hopefully they make a goal at 2.6 millions for something like dragon age 1, replaying the new game with another race/gender isn't that attractive if the only thing changes are the aligment, relationship, and stats.

There are about 6-7 races, I think. I can't imagine there won't be content specific to your race/class with such a low number.

I think by now we're saying stretch goals that are the actual gameplay.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think they mentioned special solutions to quests based on gender/race/class, but the idea was to limit it to minor stuff, not leaving important storylines cut off.

I think how Dragon Age: Origins (and ME1 to a degree) did background stuff was pretty great, I wish more games would follow suit.

What are the semi-confirmed races?

Human, as the main character is one.
Dwarf, as the first artwork depicts one.
Elf, as they've mentioned that you can wear an "Elven chain" without being an Elf.

That leaves 4 more races right?

Perkel

Banned

Elf, as they've mentioned that you can wear an "Elven chain" without being an Elf.

Lizard people
Spider people
Cat people
and Crab People.

rakhir

Hopefully there will be a race of Sea Men.

Can't wait for this game personally, maybe replaying some Infinity engine games is a good idea.

Lusankya

Two more races, unless more are added via stretch goals.

DiscoJer

Heads up, I just dropped my $20 pledge so I could pledge to Brenda Brathwaite's old school RPG instead. So hurry, you can probably get it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Two more races, unless more are added via stretch goals.

5 playable races was the earlier count, yes (humans, elves, dwarves, + 2 others, I think we were given a little details, one being a godlike race and another being a dragon race or something?), but the update here sounds like they're going to expand it beyond that for non-playable races?

Update 9 said:
Along with these modes, we also want to introduce the Godlike races. These folks have been described previously as being similar to the humanoid "planetouched" in D&D: aasimar, tieflings, and genasi. That is a good high-level description of them, but they are viewed differently by various factions, faiths, and cultures in the world of Project Eternity. Godlike were "blessed" before birth by one or more of the meddling deities of this world. Though their appearances vary, they are unmistakeably otherworldly when anyone gets a clear look at them. Sometimes, the reaction they get is overwhelmingly positive. Many times, the reaction is overwhelmingly not. For better or worse, the physical "gifts" that mark them as Godlike always come with supernatural blessings (and curses) of their own.

Not sure if these are different from the playable ones that make up the 5, or the same, and whether the plural "Godlike races" means many races, a few, or just one. It's a little confusing as this could be interpreted to be way over 5 races, but obviously the game will probably consist of dozens and dozens of races when you take in to account enemy races as well. The idea that they have curses makes it sound like they might be playable? And it seems strange the same reward would be used for two stretch goals if it's one of the earlier additional races.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not sure if these are different from the playable ones that make up the 5, or the same, and whether the plural "Godlike races" means many races, a few, or just one. It's a little confusing as this could be interpreted to be way over 5 races, but obviously the game will probably consist of dozens and dozens of races when you take in to account enemy races as well. The idea that they have curses makes it sound like they might be playable? And it seems strange the same reward would be used for two stretch goals if it's one of the earlier additional races.

Sounds almost like it could be treated as a background trait like those in Arcanum. Choose the deity that influenced your past.. each has different effects on your character.. depending on who you are dealing with you could get a good or bad reaction. Some cool stuff could be done here with culture.

Labadal

The races they are adding are playable races. It has nothing to do with the rest of the game. There could still be for example 15 races in the actual game world.

Sounds almost like it could be treated as a background trait like those in Arcanum. Choose the deity that influenced your past.. each has different effects on your character.. depending on who you are dealing with you could get a good or bad reaction. Some cool stuff could be done here with culture.

I was thinking the same thing. One plane-touched race and you pick the deity which impacts your characters background, starting stats, look etc. So for example from NWN2 throw the Aasimar, Tiefling, and Genasi all into one "godlike" starting race.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of guessed, but couldn't help myself!

I think insect people could actually be interesting Obsidianified; there's a lot you could play around mentally with a hive-based race, and they're not overly common compared to other 'animal' races.

Crafting isn't my thing,

Find the root of mineral water, kill the dragon of erection, walk the hill of Conan and find the root purple tree of odin crystal...

but it's cool for people who like it

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Lizard people
Spider people
Cat people
and Crab People.

Dog people. Cat people is fine. Whole city of them. Some separation between Cattown and Dogtown. Cats on land that is topographically higher than the Dog people. Underneath the city are warrens filled with mouse people. They tried to call it the Mammallian Alliance, but people made too many titty jokes, much to the consternation of the titmouse mayor, who didn't apprecate the fact that his mom had a speech impediment and always called him Booby instead of Bobby.

Their big enemy, when they're not fighting each other, is a marshy area named Frogtown. Their leader is a Slaad named Hell.

dionysus

Yaldog
After this update I actually watched the trailer. No joke that music is great. I hope they stick to their guns about only using limited amounts of bombastic music. The pauses in what I think is going to be the main theme (found in the Dirge and Road to Eternity) are very effective.

Sort of guessed, but couldn't help myself!

I think insect people could actually be interesting Obsidianified; there's a lot you could play around mentally with a hive-based race, and they're not overly common compared to other 'animal' races.

They did a good job with the hive mind rats in PST. A good quest chain, of course in that game everything is a good quest chain.

I was thinking the same thing. One plane-touched race and you pick the deity which impacts your characters background, starting stats, look etc. So for example from NWN2 throw the Aasimar, Tiefling, and Genasi all into one "godlike" starting race.

That sounds like a good implementation (Genasi are kinda like that, in that you can pick what elemental realm genasi you are - water, fire, earth, air.)
Or they might just be an NPC-race used for lore/story purposes.

My two guesses:

One warrior race (See: Klingon, Orc, Charr)
One "weird"/alien race (See: Thri-kreen(sp?), Warforged, Asura)

zkylon

zkylewd
New update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../321413?ref=email&show_token=ed7dceef0f394390

Pretty good read on the main classes, plus new stretch goals and a new pic. Can't say I'm a big fan:
wallpaper001-1280x1024.jpg

I like the colors but again it looks generic.

Crafting isn't my thing,

Find the root of mineral water, kill the dragon of erection, walk the hill of Conan and find the root purple tree of odin crystal...

but it's cool for people who like it

I would be encouraged if the crafting were tied into game-affecting choices, like the decisions leading up to Human Flesh +5 armor in Baldur's Gate II. If it's just 'collect/grind out 10 rare drops for +1% to your stats' then yeah not very exciting.

Zeliard

Yeah, apart from the gun that's quite Forgotten Realms-esque.

Well it's clearly going in more of a Forgotten Realms direction rather than something like Planescape or Dark Sun. And in that light this new piece looks good enough.

I don't think the game's visual style will end up lighting the world on fire, but the particularities of the setting will probably make it distinct and interesting.

wrowa

Yeah, I think that piece of art is well enough. I'm still a little disappointed that they aren't going for something more special, but I can live with this.

I hope the art in game looks good too, though. I don't care if the graphics are simple, but a bad art design is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm still a little disappointed that they aren't going for something more special, but I can live with this.
I guess this is where I'm coming from too. You'd think they'd unleash themselves a bit more with no publisher pressure.

Sotha Sil

Well it's clearly going in more of a Forgotten Realms direction rather than something like Planescape or Dark Sun. And in that light this new piece looks good enough.

I don't think the game's visual style will end up lighting the world on fire, but the particularities of the setting will probably make it distinct and interesting.

I don't really mind, since the writing and roleplaying is what I really care about. But yeah, really old school D&D feel.

Top Bottom