• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there's plenty of stuff we could speculate about.

-The base system; d20, 3d6, d100, dice pool, card games played on motorcycles, what's the main backbone to the game?
- Will characters just having base attributes (Str, Int, Wis etc) and everything else worked from that, stats and skills ala later editions of DnD, some sort of tertiary statistics you can modify as well ('soul power')?
- Should skill trainers, special base attribute bonuses etc exist; and otherwise should you be able to raise them naturally or get stuck with what you choose at creation, raising skills (if they exist) as you level instead?
- Can you pick companion stats as they level or will they have a set path?
- Will formations, if they're still in, provide a statistical bonus: i.e. defence for whoever is in the 'middle' of one?
- Should all companions be PCsexual even if it makes no goddamn sense?
- How many characters will Felicia Day and Jessica Chobot voice?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, probably 1-2 days until the 2.2 goal. Then maybe 2-3 days for the 2.3. Say about 5-6 days for new goals to be explained. That leaves about 10 days left for a final push. Wonder how far it can go. I think it might barely reach 3 million.

Zeliard

Just as a random late-to-the-party Kickstarter thing, I've developed an unhealthy addiction to FTL after buying it yesterday. Play that game.

Dennis

Banned
Just as a random late-to-the-party Kickstarter thing, I've developed an unhealthy addiction to FTL after buying it yesterday. Play that game.

I bought it but haven't played it yet. I am preoccupied with Borderlands 2 and Sleeping Dogs right now. Both games are 9/10 games. Highly recommended.

Durante

- Will characters just having base attributes (Str, Int, Wis etc) and everything else worked from that, stats and skills ala later editions of DnD, some sort of tertiary statistics you can modify as well ('soul power')?
As a fan of Arcanum, I'd like an "all of those" option. And then some. But since I think they'll try to make the system somewhat more straightforward I expect base attributes and skills, and probably fewer of them than full-blown D&D.

- Can you pick companion stats as they level or will they have a set path?
Since it's an Obsidian game, I'd like to see something dialogue based here. As in, the characters have predefined progression paths, but they will make leveling choices based on their talks with you and/or experience in the game.

- Should all companions be PCsexual even if it makes no goddamn sense?
Yes.

I've been doing just that. Finally had an awesome ship, got to the boss, got creamed by drones :(

peakish

Since it's an Obsidian game, I'd like to see something dialogue based here. As in, the characters have predefined progression paths, but they will make leveling choices based on their talks with you and/or experience in the game.
If this is in (and it sounds fun) I hope they make it an Expert Mode toggle. Having definite control over party leveling is fun, at least on replays, I'd go through the game at least once with dialogue-thingy.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Khelgar on a more wider scale? Or choosing 'paths' inside a class?

charsace

Bioware was on top of the world a few years ago with Mass Effect 1 and Dragons Age: Origins.

Now they are dead.

After those 2 games they went in a bad direction with all of their games. I loved their work up until ME2 which was a light RPG. Then came DA2. Then MMO sequel to the KOTOR series.

peakish

surely the concept artists over at Obsidian can do better than this?
Unless they've lost all previous art talent, yes. I might be wrong, but I guess that most of what they've shown is far from finished and they're just throwing what they have to us to give a sense for what they're aiming at. Compare that to the TW2 art which is complete and released as PR machine material.

Well, of course they have released it as PR material, lol, but I'm guessing very early. I liked the dwarf ranger, the last two don't tell me anything apart from that warriors do wear armour and weapons in the game.

OTOH, the drawings scream older PnP rule books to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
They said Brian Menze's gonna work on this, so we should expect some quality concepts down the line. Alpha Protocol had some great ones:
1285943-konstantine_by_brenze.jpg
1285941-albatross_and_sis_from_ap_by_brenze.jpg

- How many characters will Felicia Day and Jessica Chobot voice?

Good sir, I will show you the everyone.gif at this current moment in time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure we might hear Day, considering her level of involvement in Geek Culture at the current moment.

The release of new info is slow but we have to keep the thread going!

Wait seriously?

We have 12 updates under a month.

Considering the game isn't out until mid-2014 at the earliest, we're getting Christmas early.

zon

I'm late to the nwn discussion, but that game has the best mod support I've seen in any game ever. I bought it when it was first released and I've had it installed for 8 of those 10 years that has passed since then. The main quest was shit but goddamn if the multiplayer aspect wasn't phenomenal!

zkylon

zkylewd
I will fight you in the rain over ME1 being a good game.

IN THE RAIN.
What? ME1 was a great game.

I may disagree with some of the ranking but all of those games are good (well I don't think ME3 is any good at all, ending aside, but that's not really important).

What? ME1 was a great game.

I may disagree with some of the ranking but all of those games are good (well I don't think ME3 is any good at all, ending aside, but that's not really important).

In truth, I don't really care about what each person thinks is the best or worst of the bunch - none of them are bad. All of them are above average at worst. ME3 is a disappointing conclusion to the trilogy, but is still a great game on its own merits. It's fun to play, and it has a lot of good writing in it (especially character moments), even if the broad strokes of the story are bad (mainly the ending).

I didn't feel like I'd completely wasted my time with either ME 1 or 2.

I frequently felt that in ME1, whenever I was doing a horrible copypasted side-mission or I was repeating an hour of game time because of the horribly inadequate autosave or I was struggling in vain against the horrid inventory.

zkylon

zkylewd
In truth, I don't really care about what each person thinks is the best or worst of the bunch - none of them are bad. All of them are above average at worst. ME3 is a disappointing conclusion to the trilogy, but is still a great game on its own merits. It's fun to play, and it has a lot of good writing in it (especially character moments), even if the broad strokes of the story are bad (mainly the ending).
To be perfectly honest, I do think ME3 is terrible, DA2 terrible, if not more for not living up to what was expected from it. But really why I said it's not important is because in spite of that, Bioware is a developer that has released a lot of good games (and with a few great ones), and it's a sad display to see them sink ever so deep.

I frequently felt that in ME1, whenever I was doing a horrible copypasted side-mission or I was repeating an hour of game time because of the horribly inadequate autosave or I was struggling in vain against the horrid inventory.

Was it 1 where they eventually fixed the inventory in the PC version? The planet exploration was really undercooked, but it had the hint of something cool. I didn't like any of the scanning stuff from 2.

Eusis

I do consider ME3 disappointing, severely actually, beyond just the story failings, but you can still be a pretty good game despite being disappointing. I mainly just hated how there was so much less to do, I guess it makes sense given how urgent the situation is, but I like having a decent number of REAL sidequests to do so it's a shame when all I have are minor fetch quests I get through eavesdropping.

Was it 1 where they eventually fixed the inventory in the PC version? The planet exploration was really undercooked, but it had the hint of something cool. I didn't like any of the scanning stuff from 2.

I own the 360 version. I know they fixed some things but I don't really know what since I don't own it.

(getting my ME2 360 save to import into ME3 on PC was a nightmare, but I got it done!)

patapuf

Yup.

RE Bioware since KOTOR: All of their games are serviceable since KOTOR, but I hesitate to call anyone actually great. I didn't play ME2 and ME3 though.

This.

While Bioware never reached the highs of BG2 again their games are far from horrible. They may not feature the deepest RPG systems (esp. ME2 and 3) but they are still fun games.

Excluding DA2 of course. That one was really crap.

They said Brian Menze's gonna work on this, so we should expect some quality concepts down the line. Alpha Protocol had some great ones:

1285941-albatross_and_sis_from_ap_by_brenze.jpg

That picture almost makes me want to give AP another play through. I executed her after her boss fight because those fights annoyed me so much. It might be interesting to do something else but on the other hand I might just end up feeling bored and annoyed again and ice her for the hell of it.

Miletius

Fewer than 50 new backers needed to hit 50k. I wonder what kind of surprise they have and if it'll be the update for the day.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I've seen people get upset about Torment spoilers still.

The only stuff I remember changing was a UI overhaul; the inventory system was still pretty half-baked like most of the game- switching equipment in RPGs to deal with different enemies is cool but when you're just switching between two types in a list of hundreds of useless ammunition it wears a bit thin.

zkylon

zkylewd
That picture almost makes me want to give AP another play through. I executed her after her boss fight because those fights annoyed me so much. It might be interesting to do something else but on the other hand I might just end up feeling bored and annoyed again and ice her for the hell of it.
You very bad man.

Alpha Protocol spoilers? Very nice dude...

Won't be entering this thread in a while it seems.
It's not really a spoiler, you can kill pretty much everybody in that game (it makes for a pretty awesome run, I tell you).

Herla

Fewer than 50 new backers needed to hit 50k. I wonder what kind of surprise they have and if it'll be the update for the day.

I hope they'll at least reveal a lot of stretch goals, tomorrow people will be able to pay with paypal so I expect we'll reach 2.3 millions in less than a couple of days.

edit: Paypal it's on the 3rd, not tomorrow.

zkylon

zkylewd
sigh, they need to do an alpha protocol 2 or spiritual successor kickstarter.

maybe this game will turn into that. yessss.
It'd be very difficult with the amount of cutscenes, voiceacting and whatnot with "only" 3 million dollars, and I don't know if AP would be the same if they scaled down.

I really wish Sega would just finance a sequel :p

Lancehead

We should be getting an update soon.

The biggest problem with removing voice acting in AP is you can't apply timer on the dialogue anymore. So, yeah, it won't be AP anymore.

Top Bottom