• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment (Kickstarter) [Up: Teaser]

They left a blank canvass so that every fan can project on to it their idealized version of the RPG savior/messiah, and imagine that was the game they were giving money to make.

This can backfired horribly, considering people see games being done on Kickstarter and think it's going to be not what PE is being shown to be.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Update 16 is out

Update #16: Reward Updates, Combat with Tim, Mods, and the Mega Dungeon Grows!
This week we announced our Mega Dungeon, our base classes, the cipher and barbarian classes as stretch goals, and the Adventurer's Hall as another stretch goal. We are coming up on our final week of the Kickstarter, and we have exciting stuff planned for you in the coming week including new rewards, a special inside peek into Obsidian, and a first look at Project Eternity.

Exclusive Backer Pet, Hardcover Books for $250 and Name in the Game for $500!

At the $50 tier and up we have an exclusive in-game pet for you! The pet is optional and will not have any in-game function besides being a quiet companion that will never leave your side. We are looking for ideas on what the pet could be, so let us know what you would like to see in our forums.

We have great news for $250 and up backers! We are upgrading the Collector's Book at the $250 level to a hardcover at no extra charge. The Collector's Book is a full-color book that includes concept art, our monster manual, information about the campaign setting, and a special behind the scenes look at the making of Project Eternity.

Additionally for our $500 backers and above, we will let you put your name and a personalized message on a memorial stone in game. Your unique message will be encoded into Glanfathan runes, and can be decoded using a unique in-game ring. It's a way for all of us to remember your large contribution to Project Eternity.

Tim Answers Your Combat Questions from Reddit

Kaboom asks: Hi Tim! I'm curious how the close combat in P:E will turn out. Will the melee of P:E encompass stuff like reach weapons, opportunity attacks, flanking, grappling, charging, prone/standing-modes and so forth?

Tim: Yes, we are looking to include many of these features into our close combat system. Specifically, opportunity attacks and flanking are definitely in, as well as charging. We're not sure about reach weapons yet (we need to figure out if that attribute on a weapon will be worthwhile enough in combat and will supportable with the appropriate UI), and while we will support prone positions, you won't be able to attack while prone because the animations involved are too different from attacks while standing that we would have to make every animation twice, once for standing and once for prone. This limitation also means that grappling abilities will not be included. There are too many new animations needed and special case limitations that apply, e.g. how does a human grapple a centaur or a dragon or an ooze?).

Tim answers more of your questions in the video and the text version is on our forums. Also check out the Project Eternity reddit group.

Mod Support
From Neverwinter Nights 2 to Fallout: New Vegas, we've enjoyed supporting the mod community, and we are continuing that with Project Eternity. It is awesome to see how you extend the worlds we make.

To make getting mods easy, we are excited to announce that our friends at the Nexus will be the official spot to download Project Eternity mods once the game is released. They have been a great host for mods for our past games, and we want to continue the trend with the Project Eternity Nexus. Check out the Nexus Network at www.nexusmods.com.

Our plan is to release our file-format information and expose as much of the data in the game as possible for you to extend and edit. We traditionally do not "hard-code" numbers so that our designers, and you, have the power to easily change and iterate on RPG data. We also plan on releasing localization tools to let communities around the world create localized versions for languages we are not translating Project Eternity into.

As we get more familiar with Unity during production, we will be extending Project Eternity even more for mod makers. Look forward to announcements in the months ahead as we make further progress and can provide you with more information about tools and mod support.

The Endless Paths Grows!

We've passed 52,500 backers! The Endless Paths of Od Nua Mega Dungeon continues to grow larger! The next level will be added at 55,000 backers. Thank you for helping us to spread the word about Project Eternity!

VqKqm.jpg

Kickstarter Comments and Kerfluffles!
Lastly, if you haven’t been attending all of the fun in the Comments section of our Kickstarter, you’re really missing out on some fun conversations. From the Obsidian Order of Eternity representing in full force, to one of our favorites, the Kerfluffle Marshmallow lady, Spring Barnickle, who asks:

Hmmm... how many marshmallows indeed. Beware paladin-types... beware! Until next time...

Update by Tim Cain and Adam Brennecke

(You can also discuss the entire Reddit Q&A part 2 in this thread.)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think it will look just like Baldur's Gate 2. It had pretty standard high fantasy art but it had its own pleasant style. Dragon Age didn't have it.

Durante

It's good that they are designing the game with friendly fire in mind and an option to turn it off (at low difficulty levels), and not the other way around. But I really expected nothing less, given how often they call the game "tactical". The idea of having cooldowns associated with switching between sets of high level spells sounds interesting.

Nice to see the upgrade to hardcover at the 250 tier (I'm sitting at that).

Lancehead

You think all those RGB colors pay for themselves? Its not a 10 million Kickstarter, Obsidian needs to spend the money on the essentials.

I don't know how much it consts to make a full coloured artwork compared to a monochrome one, but artwork is one of the essentials in driving the funding. So I don't agree with your point.

szaromir

Banned
Not sure what to this about this:
Q:Why real-time with pause; why not turn-based combat? How do you respond to critiques like this one from the CRPG Addict?

A:It’s how Infinity Engine combat is set up, and we’re fine with it if it makes it feel more like an Infinity Engine game.
I liked IE games, but they weren't perfect and mimmicking everything so that it feels exactly like them is not a good idea, Eternity should be its own game and the decisions should be made more progressively.

Also, the funding has been steadily slowing down. Wasteland 2 had had some healthy bumps at this point in their campaign, hopefully Obsidian figures out how to attract those who haven't backed them up yet.

Really excited to hear about mods being in. That endless path artwork is quite cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what the artists have for us months down the road.

Lancehead

I liked IE games, but they weren't perfect and mimmicking everything so that it feels exactly like them is not a good idea, Eternity should be its own game and the decisions should be made more progressively.

The real-time-pause combat in Eternity is going to be different from IE combat and more like DA:O's, so that's not really mimicking an old idea.

Gattsu25

Banned
Regarding real-time with pause vs. entirely turn based..

I think I would be okay with options to pause at start of combat and also pause after every turn in combat.

Those two options would make combat tactical while not impeding exploration and also leave the possibility for the game to be entirely real-time for the people who like to play it that way

Durante

I think I would be okay with options to pause at start of combat and also pause after every turn in combat.

Those two options would make combat tactical while not impeding exploration and also leave the possibility for the game to be entirely real-time for the people who like to play it that way
But that's exactly what they are doing. (Just like the IE games did, FWIW)

And I like it a lot better than strictly turn-based. I think a well-designed real-time with pause system fives you all the opportunities for tactical positioning and skill use of a turn-based system, while allowing for battle to progress much more realistically, naturally and (if desired) quickly. Also, there are already 3 Kickstarter RPGs on the horizon that are purely turn-based, I'm really happy we are getting something different here.

szaromir

Banned
The real-time-pause combat in Eternity is going to be different from IE combat and more like DA:O's, so that's not really mimicking an old idea.
My problem is more with the wording than anything, I'd prefer "we want to make a game with RTWP" more than "we're making RTWP so that it feels like an IE game".

I would also prefer if they went public with PayPal contributions, like InXile did with Wasteland 2.

Sentenza

Autopause at every round would be terrible for a game built around real time with pause.
At that point a pure turn based system would be far better.

Being forced to give input to each character every few seconds is exactly what made Dragon Age so annoying to play with the A.I. completely off compared to Baldur's Gate 2: you had all these very low cooldowns and you were constantly cycling between characters at a frantic pace.

My ideal situation on a RTwP game: everyone in your party should essentially rely on standard autoattack (plus eventual use of passive traits if they fit), with the player deciding who's targeting who and moving where... And *then* on top of this very basic layer you should have a fair amount of very situational and asynchronous abilities for each character. The ability to interrupt a cast, to deal a big burst of damage on a cooldown, to use a daily ability and to cast very decisive spells from a limited, precious pool of resources.

Perkel

Banned
They already confirmed it isn't, but that's irrelevant.
Talking about what you are doing "every round" is just a familiar way to describe what happens every few seconds, even if there aren't proper "rounds" in place.

that's actually bullshit. Roundbased vs real time with pause is huge change.
IE fights never really were real time with pause. It was turn based combat in realtime with pause. That was because how D&D rules were set.

In real realtime you can completely change game mechanics. For example figter don't wait for his round he just attack with certain amount of speed attack. You don't wait to cast spells you just cast them with certain amount of time but then there is no this weird while of doing nothing like in all D&D IE games. Speel interuptions and many many more things work different in real time.

I personally never did play with standard 30FPS because it was borefest with those whiles of doing nothing. 45FPS instantly changed fights to amazing ones in BG2

Sentenza

that's actually bullshit.
Roundbased vs real time with pause is huge change.
No, it's not, it's just playing with words. The main difference is having timing built around a definite amount of seconds for round or having a free flow of time (i.e. "The fighter attacks 3 times every 6 seconds" vs "the fighter attacks every two seconds").
Beside, they already confirmed this game isn't going to be round based, so this argument is pointless.

You are missing the point: we don't care if proper rounds are in place, we are going to refer to each small amount of time as a "round" in any case just because it's a comfortable convention to summarize the idea.
Even removing the word "round", that's what he essentially said: "it would be neat to have the option to autopause the game every few seconds" and that's my objection: "That would be actually quite bad for a game built around RTwP, and here's why...".
As you can see arguing about what's a proper round is essentially a waste of time in this context, because no one cares and because it's already settled what system this game is actually going to use.

In real realtime you can completely change game mechanics. For example figter don't wait for his round he just attack with certain amount of speed attack. You don't wait to cast spells you just cast them with certain amount of time but then there is no this weird while of doing nothing like in all D&D IE games. Speel interuptions and many many more things work different in real time.
Maybe, but that's irrelevant, that's not what we were arguing about now.
We were talking about the necessity of giving input every few seconds ("each round") with very short cooldowns versus having a system that rely on autoattack as backbone and makes abilities situational.

Lancehead

The big difference between turn-based and real-time-pause combat is that in the latter you can have your party take actions simultaneously.

Sentenza

The big difference between turn-based and real-time-pause combat is that in the latter you can have your party take actions simultaneously.
Turn based on the other hand offers far more deep tactical synergies, more often than not.
But we weren't talking about turn based games at all, we were talking about two different ways to handle real-time combat (round-based vs free time flow).
And the latter makes a lot more sense, as the former is just a legacy that comes from adapting a turn based system in real time.

Lancehead

Turn based on the other hand offers far more deep tactical synergies more often than not.
But we weren't talking about turn based games at all, we were talking about two different ways to handle real-time combat (round-based vs free time flow).
And the latter makes a lot more sense, as the former is just a legacy that comes from adapting a turn based system in real time.

Sure, I was making an observation since the purpose of autopause in RTwP with rounds is to turn it into turn-based.

Also just upped my donation to 250.00. Still hope they do a 300 tier for a non-signed hardcover book, because even 250.00 is more than I have any right to be spending, and I know I will need to sell a kidney to hit $500. Book and signed box soften the blow a bit, and maybe some new freebies will come along later.

Obsidian are my dogs!

dude

dude
With 10 days remaining, I don't think they're going to get 300k dollars :(

Are you new to Kickstarters? because the last week always sees a big jump in pledges, especially the last day. I am willing to bet they reach at least 3 Million dollars.

Based on current averages, and assuming no last-minute bump, it looks like it will end around 2.6mn.

Everybody talks about the bump, but there is no (yet) big 3mn stretch goal, and this has gotten a fair amount of publicity already, and been funded since day 1.5, so I'm really not sure how much of a bump to expect.

I'm not sure why we should assume "no last-minute bump", considering it happens every freaking time, for every single Kickstarter.

Because you can't assume the size of the bump? I'm just saying where we are right now will get us 2.6mn. I've laid out my reasons why I think the bump might be smaller proportionally, but that is where we will likely end up with it, and anything above can be attributed to that.

dude

dude
Based on current averages, and assuming no last-minute bump, it looks like it will end around 2.6mn.

Everybody talks about the bump, but there is no (yet) big 3mn stretch goal, and this has gotten a fair amount of publicity already, and been funded since day 1.5, so I'm really not sure how much of a bump to expect.

This has happened in every major Kickstarter up until now... You can look at the DFA graph here for reference: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure#chart-daily
Like PE, DFA was hitting about 20-30k a day until the big push at the last week. Wasteland 2 was similar, although it saw a smaller push a little earlier and then a bigger one at the very end (but it was doing much worse than PE and DFA prior, so it evens out.)

So far, this is much closer to DFA than to Wasteland 2 and I think it will so better than Wasteland 2. I just wish they had a counter for the Paypal pledges, so that we could now the real final amount.

This has happened in every major Kickstarter up until now... You can look at the DFA graph here for reference: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure#chart-daily
Like PE, DFA was hitting about 20-30k a day until the big push at the last week. Wasteland 2 was similar, although it saw a smaller push a little earlier and then a bigger one at the very end (but it was doing much worse than PE and DFA prior, so it evens out.)

So far, this is much closer to DFA than to Wasteland 2 and I think it will so better than Wasteland 2. I just wish they had a counter for the Paypal pledges, so that we could now the real final amount.

Fair enough. But I read something about DFA having a lot more actual backers per day, which is a factor for something like the bump.

And I forgot about PayPal.

I'm guessing Eternity will get a decent bump. Especially if its close to a good stretch goal towards the end. I just remember the closing minutes of the Dead State kickstarter were crazy as they were close to a good stretch goal and they got a $10k pledge at the last second to put them over the top. Obsidian needs some sort of awesome stretch goal to fire people up.

dude

dude
Fair enough. But I read something about DFA having a lot more actual backers per day, which is a factor for something like the bump.

And I forgot about PayPal.

DFA had more backers per day at the first week or so, then it dropped to about what PE is seeing right now. Of curse, PE dropped faster and seems to be a little less high-profile (which is to be expected.) DFA was stuck at 2.8 million at the last couple of days, it was the live streaming that pushed them over the edge to 3 million and beyond. If Obsidian mange to create the same excitement at the end, we could see quite a decent spike. If I remember correctly, this project is doing slightly better than DFA in the same time-frame... So with a good stretch goal and live streaming or something like that it could maybe pass it.

1d4c23e1812a6e4d0046bd2c25d454e7_large.jpg

New little graphic countdown.

Depending on how desirable the 3 million stretchgoal is, I think they'll just about hit it if you include the paypal donations as well.

Top Bottom