• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Volodja

That doesn't fix the stat inflation bug.
I don't know about the Stats proper, but the defensive stats ballooning shouldn't be too hard to fix retroactively.

Anyone else finding the combat to be really finnicky? It seems like I have to keep selecting attack or some members don't attack after they kill an enemy or use an ability. Am I missing some kind of auto-attack option? One perfect example is:

- I have 3 front line melee and 3 back line ranged. I'm fighting 2-3 enemies, and they all kill the first one or two. The melee ones go fight the third one that's further away, and my ranged just stand there out of range instead of moving up
- same thing with summons not attacking until I select them to, but maybe that's on purpose
With all the Expert options enabled this can be an issue because you don't actually see the action they are performing so you can't see if they aren't actually performing an action at all immediately.
Can be pretty annoying.

Aaron D.

You need to think about your life choices immediately.

You ain't kidding.

I keep waiting until a pick up a legit Chanter party member vs. creating one myself. But I work pretty slow through these games. Almost finished with the first town quests.

Needs me a Cipher as well.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I would be very surprised if it didn't (specifically talking about talents there). All the information is still saved, otherwise removing and re-adding your party characters wouldn't work to fix it.

I'm more concerned about the bugs in the opposite direction; unintended stat scaling making party members too powerful. If THAT can't be fixed retroactively then I will definitely be starting over, and I am sure I am not alone.

You ain't kidding.

I keep waiting until a pick up a legit Chanter party member vs. creating one myself. But I work pretty slow through these games. Almost finished with the first town quests.

Needs me a Cipher as well.

You can actually meet the chanter companion quite early on, pretty much right after Gilded Vale.

Kinthalis

Banned
I would be very surprised if it didn't (specifically talking about talents there). All the information is still saved, otherwise removing and re-adding your party characters wouldn't work to fix it.

And base defenses/attack can also be easily calculated, so yeah, I'd wager they should be able to make it retroactive.

Noaloha

Are there any potential reasons I should be wary about SteamMover-ing this over to my SSD? I've always assumed it's a very basic procedure that doesn't have any filefinding/patching issues, but I'd appreciate a "go for it" nod (or contrary nod) beforehand.

I'm still waiting for the bug where if you save and reload enough a plot npc floats through the ceiling and out of existence. God bless Morrowind.

There is actually a bug where if your ranger's pet bear is killed they can start spinning end over end and float off diagonally into space off the map.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyone else still going to be nervous double clicking even if they fix it?

I am scarred.

Not really. In fact I am very much looking forward to my 2nd playthrough with either a Dwarf Cipher or Amanua Monk and not worrying about any of this nonsense.

Xater

Just finished the game. Absolutely loved it. Did almost everything except Raedric no. 2 and some of the companion quest lines. There is a very high chance this will make my top stop come GOTY voting. I can only see Witcher 3 beating it, but we will see.

One of the things that disappointed me that there was apparently no alternative way to do Eder's quest line. After I was done in Defiance Bay my reputation was middling and there was seemingly no way to improve it so I can get the archivar to help me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has there been any communication whatsoever out of Obsidian on when the patch is going out, and if we need to restart the game once it does?

Grief.exe

Just finished the game. Absolutely loved it. Did almost everything except Raedric no. 2 and some of the companion quest lines. There is a very high chance this will make my top stop come GOTY voting. I can only see Witcher 3 beating it, but we will see.

One of the things that disappointed me that there was apparently no alternative way to do Eder's quest line. After I was done in Defiance Bay my reputation was middling and there was seemingly no way to improve it so I can get the archivar to help me.

What was your time played?

Has there been any communication whatsoever out of Obsidian on when the patch is going out, and if we need to restart the game once it does?

I doubt they will burn saves.

With all the Expert options enabled this can be an issue because you don't actually see the action they are performing so you can't see if they aren't actually performing an action at all immediately.
Can be pretty annoying.
Yeah, if Expert didn't affect this and AoE markers, I'd always have it on. These two are headaches to go without.

Just finished the game. Absolutely loved it.
How many hours did you clock up? That seems... fast.

They have said they are planning on having a patch out this week. They have not said what it will do or address, I believe, although they have talked about the double-click bug, so I imagine that one will be toast.

Durante

Yeah, if Expert didn't affect this and AoE markers, I'd always have it on. These two are headaches to go without.
Yeah, I'm not using Expert for that reason. Doesn't really matter (unless you are extremely keen on achivements) since you can set everything individually.

Sendou

I still can't believe I'm actually playing this in the year of our lord two-thousand and fifteen.

Just playing this now makes me wonder why they ever stopped. I have no nostalgia for IE games since I didn't play them back in the day but this is the best RPG I've played in years.

Cirruss

Hmmm anyone got any tips for doing the 3 Crowns SOLO achievment (its for playing through the game on Expert, Ironman and path of the damned difficulty with no party members)

Thought I'd give it a go since I wanted to wait for the patch to fix the stat inflation before I continue my main character. First attempt didn't end well, I died before I got out of the tutorial dungeon :p

Durante

I still can't believe I'm actually playing this in the year of our lord two-thousand and fifteen.

dB17M1K.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Anyone else finding the combat to be really finnicky? It seems like I have to keep selecting attack or some members don't attack after they kill an enemy or use an ability. Am I missing some kind of auto-attack option? One perfect example is:

- I have 3 front line melee and 3 back line ranged. I'm fighting 2-3 enemies, and they all kill the first one or two. The melee ones go fight the third one that's further away, and my ranged just stand there out of range instead of moving up
- same thing with summons not attacking until I select them to, but maybe that's on purpose

No you're not. AA is on my default and is just really finicky. I wish the game had an attack-move option and made the enemy selection more clear. Sometimes when I'm doing orders very quickly I'll accidently send my mage into melee distance because I missed the enemy circle by a pixel.

Minor gripes but still rather annoying.

r3n4ud

Are there any potential reasons I should be wary about SteamMover-ing this over to my SSD? I've always assumed it's a very basic procedure that doesn't have any filefinding/patching issues, but I'd appreciate a "go for it" nod (or contrary nod) beforehand.
I've never had any issues when using SteamMover. Games update fine and dandy. Go for it :)

Xater

What was your time played?

How many hours did you clock up? That seems... fast.

Steam says 30 hours. No idea how accurate that is. Keep in mind I am a fast player and played on normal. I finished Wasteland 2 in about the same timeframe for example.

Edit: Also lots of double speed use for walking around and stealthing.

Anoregon

Hmmm anyone got any tips for doing the 3 Crowns SOLO achievment (its for playing through the game on Expert, Ironman and path of the damned difficulty with no party members)

I hope/expect people will come up with some crazy builds for this. Shit like super high con+dex, low int wizard or some shit I dunno.

Volodja

Thought I'd give it a go since I wanted to wait for the patch to fix the stat inflation before I continue my main character. First attempt didn't end well, I died before I got out of the tutorial dungeon :p
Getting the character out of the tutorial dungeon should be pretty easy, just let Calisca do everything, pretty much.
Other than that, you may want to consider skipping a lot of Valewood (I think it's called) depending on your class because the wolves come in a pack of like 6 and everything can kill you pretty fast.

With Wizard fighting anything at that point means having to rest after, rogue is just gonna die when more than 2 things are on screen.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's like, I went into a dangerous situation that I couldn't talk my way out of (well, I assume, because I didn't have the right backgrounds) and there was no way of beating that questline at the time. So, I had to go dungeon crawling and I reached a pit that I had to make a decision about and had to use a grappling hook to get down with. I then found an unexpected enemy that should have killed me because I was out of the ability to rest.

But I used some of my remaining skills and a ton of pausing and issuing orders on the fly, I was able to funnel the hoard through a small gap that I plugged up with two melee fighters. Behind them I had a wizard slinging what few spells he had left and a healer patching up my fighters. They all died, save for my rogue who I had to stealth and creep up behind the big bad after he lost me in the dark. One quick stab in the back of his big, stupid face and I was victorious. And he dropped some unique loot with a story and not like, 34 potatoes and some hide armor.

And that isn't even the coolest shit I've run into today.

It's beautiful, man.

Just playing this now makes me wonder why they ever stopped. I have no nostalgia for IE games since I didn't play them back in the day but this is the best RPG I've played in years.

I think its because you had the shift to 3D and the likes of BioWare pushing everything towards voice acted everything plus more and more cinematics, which made these games more and more expensive to make. Add in how so many publishers viewed PC gaming in the mid 2000s as some piracy riddled corpse and then you had whatever developers that did make these IE games shift towards console development and I think that's a big reason why these games stopped being made.

I would absolutely love it if PoE is so successful that it makes the likes of BioWare or other developers put some serious consideration into doing more of these IE style RPGs.

No you're not. AA is on my default and is just really finicky. I wish the game had an attack-move option and made the enemy selection more clear. Sometimes when I'm doing orders very quickly I'll accidently send my mage into melee distance because I missed the enemy circle by a pixel.

Minor gripes but still rather annoying.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but it is possible to issue multiple orders. You just click on what you want to have happen first, and then shift click the second thing you want to happen.

I use this all the time to use Durance's turn undead type thingy. Click to move him in the middle of the fray, shift click the ability, he moves first and then uses it.

Anoregon

It's like, I went into a dangerous situation that I couldn't talk my way out of (well, I assume, because I didn't have the right backgrounds) and there was no way of beating that questline at the time. So, I had to go dungeon crawling and I reached a pit that I had to make a decision about and had to use a grappling hook to get down with. I then found an unexpected enemy that should have killed me because I was out of the ability to rest.

But I used some of my remaining skills and a ton of pausing and issuing orders on the fly, I was able to funnel the hoard through a small gap that I plugged up with two melee fighters. Behind them I had a wizard slinging what few spells he had left and a healer patching up my fighters. They all died, save for my rogue who I had to stealth and creep up behind the big bad after he lost me in the dark. One quick stab in the back of his big, stupid face and I was victorious. And he dropped some unique loot with a story and not like, 34 potatoes and some hide armor.

And that isn't even the coolest shit I've run into today.

It's beautiful, man.

Fuck you man I want those potatoes

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man, some of these unique item description stories. Sooooo goood. The forgiveness pistol description makes you feel so badass using it.

I think its because you had the shift to 3D and the likes of BioWare pushing everything towards voice acted everything plus more and more cinematics, which made these games more and more expensive to make. Add in how so many publishers viewed PC gaming in the mid 2000s as some piracy riddled corpse and then you had whatever developers that did make these IE games shift towards console development and I think that's a big reason why these games stopped being made.

I would absolutely love it if PoE is so successful that it makes the likes of BioWare or other developers put some serious consideration into doing more of these IE style RPGs.

That would be absolutely amazing if it happened but their publishers would never let it happen since it doesn't translate well to consoles. At best we'll hopefully get more games like Dragon Age:Origin.

Playing this game makes me want to go through the whole catalogue of CRPGs like Neverwinter, Planescape, and BG2 since I never got to play those back in the day.

Fuck you man I want those potatoes

I have some (read:100) spears and wood shields you may be interested in too.

Zareth

God I can't wait for this patch, my Aloth is sitting at 62int and when I cast fan of flames I can hit everything on screen for 50+ damage and while its glorious its also very game breaking.... lol

r3n4ud

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but it is possible to issue multiple orders. You just click on what you want to have happen first, and then shift click the second thing you want to happen.

I use this all the time to use Durance's turn undead type thingy. Click to move him in the middle of the fray, shift click the ability, he moves first and then uses it.
That...will be useful. Why didn't I know about this lol. Thanks!

My guess is that mmorpgs happened. Mmos were blooming when these kind of RPGs stopped spawning.

Looks like people found the reason for Raedric's hold crashes: corrupted files.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74046-the-reason-for-raedrics-hold-game-crash-corrupted-files/

This is weird to me because if the setup files contain corrupted files, then how in the world did it all work just fine for me and countless others who haven't experienced the bug?

He basically says that the setup is not extracting those files because they are broken, so when the game asks for them it can't pull them up because they don't exist. So why do they exist for me?

Tom Penny

I've been playing for 24 hours and I've noticed my save times and the time it takes to load a map seem to have really gone up for me since the beginning of the game (and I'm on a SSD). Anyone else having slower loads when their playtime is getting higher.

I'm getting really annoyed by the loading. Lots of the things you do are fetching so the constant loads to open every single door and map is getting super annoying now. As I stated earlier. 6 load times just to rest at your house then leave its utterly garbage that's without going to see the merchant and other things in town. Traveling from house to house in areas is just flat out aggravating at this point.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
When the long loading times started happening, I just deleted the first like, 100 saves or so and everything was back to super quick loading.

Pancakes

God I can't wait for this patch, my Aloth is sitting at 62int and when I cast fan of flames I can hit everything on screen for 50+ damage and while its glorious its also very game breaking.... lol

I just realized that Dulcan had like 60 int on my main save for reason. I thought priests just had naturally high range AoE spells lol.

Miletius

After sleeping on it I've decided to restart. Probably after the patch. Thinking hard on it, there were certainly some fights especially recently where Eder's unnaturally high deflection probably won the day for me. I don't really want to feel like my first playthrough was made easier because of that - you only really get to play the game through for the first time once, and I want to enjoy the combat thoroughly.

Plus, this gives me the opportunity to remake my cipher and choose a couple of spells that I wouldn't have before. I have a better idea of what'll be useful and what won't be useful now.

Violet_0

Banned
As a Barbarian myself i feel they lend themselves very well to 2H weapons. Very well. You can also equip extended range weapons such as a Pike or Quarterstaff to hit from behind the tank if they are in a doorway.

my barbarian is build as bruiser with some defensive talents and perception instead of dexterity as my tertiary attribute. Ended up tanking my first dragon at lvl 7 yesterday after my paladin was grilled (and beat it on the first try, too).

it's funny that Grieving Mother apparently has no party banter (at least not in my game), rather consistent with the in-game lore. To paraphrase Hiravias -
"Who? Oh, that plain looking peasant women that's been following us? She really she shouldn't put herself in danger like that."

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

You know.. if this can be replicated for the PC it might be possible to cheese that Solo Triple Crown achievement.

edit:
i wonder how large the melee AoE is on a Barbarian with 62 Int?

Anoregon

my barbarian is build as bruiser with some defensive talents and perception instead of dexterity as my tertiary attribute. Ended up tanking my first dragon at lvl 7 yesterday after my paladin was grilled (and beat it on the first try, too).

it's funny that Grieving Mother apparently has no party banter (at least not in my game), rather consistent with the in-game lore. To paraphrase Hiravias - "Who? Oh, that plain looking peasant women that's been following us? She really she shouldn't put herself in danger like that."

Damn, I'm level 9 and haven't run into any dragons yet, just a drake or two.

garath

I moved mine from the mechanical to SSD with no issues. I didn't use steam mover. I have a steam installation on the SSD and on the mechanical. All I did was copy the install folder from the mechanical steam directory to the SSD steam directory then did "delete local content" on steam to nuke the old install. Installed again in the SSD and it found the files already there and it was up instantly.

Top Bottom