• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

God this game is all I've wished for since the IE days.

Started right off the bat with a Path of the Damned run and went in blind with a glass cannon rogue. 3 base constitution, and 4 base int (Godlike). At lvl 6 the main char has 1 endurance less than Aloth(!) but will still wreck everyone as long as no one targets him with a spell as his willpower is really, really low.

Path of the Damned feels pretty much like Baldur's Gate 2 with the Tactics mod, though with better class balance and less cheese. Some encounters feel absolutely impossible to beat but then you figure out some formation or skill that'll completely change the outcome.

Despite path-finding CONSTANTLY screwing me over in combat, confusion being the most obnoxious shit since confusion in BG2 (WHY would my characters auto-attack their friend because she/he's confused!?), and characters being nearly impossible to distinguish in large battles (especially if there's a piece of environment in front) this is better than IE ever was. Infinitely better than Dragon Age 1, which I did enjoy.

Itemization is great, the active abilities you have in combat is great, the resting system is brilliant (2 rests/dungeon makes you really think about which spells to use), they nail everything.

Oh so happy.

Someone on the Obsidian forums figured out what's causing the growing loading times: the game keeping track of the many, many Rime and Frost traps you drop with a Kana chant. LOL.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Someone on the Obsidian forums figured out what's causing the growing loading times: the game keeping track of the many, many Rime and Frost traps you drop with a Kana chant. LOL.

Oh darn, Kana is core to my party and so is the Rime chant.

Whats the longest loading time anyone encountered?

VoidVR

Banned
Just finished act 2 and it made me go "OH SHIT SON WHAT!".

Shit, I was noticing the load times getting longer, thought I was going crazy at first. Had Kana in my party since I first met him quite a while back. Have they said anything about when the first patch is supposed to come out?

aravuus

Lmao. Gonna re-download the game on my SSD later today, I think. This won't affect the save games, right?

That's utterly fucking hilarious. More importantly though, kudos to the awesome person who figured that out.

I imagine devs scratch their heads for weeks and months figuring stuff like that out.

Bastos

The easy workaround right now is to dismiss party members and re-add them. For your PC there's a manual workaround Durante posted around here but it might be easier just to wait for the patch.

Right now I'm doing two things: never double clicking to equip, and never saving and loading in areas where companions are picked up. It's a pain but I'll suffer through it till the next patch hits. Hopefully it retroactively fixes current saves.
This sucks :< I restarted the game 4 times already. Is there an ETA for the patch? Maybe I'll wait and start everything from scratch again when the patch is released.

You could build a wizard as more of a melee tanking class through the use of certain spells. There are spells that offer high deflection / protection which are only useful if you're getting up close and personal. There are ones that buff your accuracy and grant magical weapons and make enemies easier to hit and stuff.

Never done it myself but I think it might be possible.

I was trying this last night. It didn't go well (hard difficulty). The +25 Def. talent and Mirror image (+20 def.) stack but wolves kept using knock down and just mauling me. I had a little more luck soloing with a Druid but that was mostly due to the paralyze animals spell.

Anyone actually made decent progress solo?

Blizzard

Banned
I was trying this last night. It didn't go well (hard difficulty). The +25 Def. talent and Mirror image (+20 def.) stack but wolves kept using knock down and just mauling me. I had a little more luck soloing with a Druid but that was mostly due to the paralyze animals spell.

Anyone actually made decent progress solo?
I made it through the tutorial levels! That's solo...plus the free companions there!

That's the point where I ran into a bunch of mandatory dungeon fights on every quest path I've found so far, so I'm still investigating.

elfinke

Alright you bums, I'm in. Grabbed this from the GMG VIP deal at the moment and am currently downloading it. I talked myself out of buying a PS4 for Bloodborne this week, and have grabbed this instead. Just gotta kick the Cities Skylines habit now...!

Great OP, too. Well done.

Kinthalis

Banned
Just finished act 2 and it made me go "OH SHIT SON WHAT!".

Shit, I was noticing the load times getting longer, thought I was going crazy at first. Had Kana in my party since I first met him quite a while back. Have they said anything about when the first patch is supposed to come out?

They said sometime this week. I'm hoping mid week, but it could very well be end of the week.

Tom Penny

Game is good but these load times are just getting stupid. You do more loading than anything. Just to go to Nau and rest at your crib and Leave it's 6 loads...it's ridiculous.

O.DOGG

My hands are itching to play this game but I'll hold off until they release the patch. I also have an exam coming early next week so if they take their time I won't be mad.

ivb_1973

Banned

wot.
If my MC learns that chant the bug applies? I could be a workaround to make my chanter learn that and use other chants with Kana.

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally got all the characters, and my stronghold is finally big enough to take on quests.

So happy I got to level 7 last night. Transcendent Suffering 3...so good. And my Eder is a tanking machine. I checked his stats and I don't think I've done any of the save/reload bug, but he's still got almost as heavy armor as you can get, plus a bunch of rings with saves and deflection, etc.

Bounties still suck hard though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if I should stick with the Endless path stuff, or do other quests (backtracking, or go to new places?)

ivb_1973

Banned
I doubt it matters who is doing the chant. It's the traps getting spawned that matters, not the person doing the chanting.

Yeah, that's reasonable, but who knows.

If there is nothing new then it seems I will have to ignore that chant for now... and avoid saving where you recruit party members and double clicking items.

buggity bugs :(

Eyeh4wk

So, I finally got myself a companion rogue and I`m disappointed that there isn`t a pickpocket ability at the start or something similar. Not sure if that was the case in BG/Icewind series, but a rogue without pickpocket is no rogue! Thats like a priest who cant heal, thats his thing!

/rant

Bluth54

I've been playing for 24 hours and I've noticed my save times and the time it takes to load a map seem to have really gone up for me since the beginning of the game (and I'm on a SSD). Anyone else having slower loads when their playtime is getting higher.

Tovarisc

So, I finally got myself a companion rogue and I`m disappointed that there isn`t a pickpocket ability at the start or something similar. Not sure if that was the case in BG/Icewind series, but a rogue without pickpocket is no rogue! Thats like a priest who cant heal, thats his thing!

/rant

Well technically priest can't heal in PoE sooo....

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
lol

Good thing all Kana will ever do is chant Ila nocked for my firing squad.

I was in the same boat but ended up replacing him after the 11th floor of the keep dungeon. It starts getting really rough and he doesn't really provide much in a clutch situation. Everyone may fire a bit slower but DruidBro messes people up with his per encounter transform.

What would you guys suggest for the stat distribution of a Paladin Tank?

You really only need might (fortitude saves), constitution (hp and endurance), and resolve(will saves) on tanks.

Grazzt

Damn that lighthouse...
Tried 3 times and cleared 1st floor, then NO CAMPING AT THIS SITE wtf!!!Went to 2nd floor, end of story...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well technically priest can't heal in PoE sooo....

Eh, that's kind of a stretch. Endurance IS "HP" as far as combat mechanics are concerned, and priests have what you would expect priests to have when it comes to restoring that.

On another note, My party's Grieving Mother has 30 int and Eder has like 120 deflection so I am not sure if I even want to continue playing or just wait for the patch to continue/start over. Filthy bugs.

Tovarisc

Does anyone know what level the lower-level spells start becoming per-encounter?

Well my party is at level 10 and low rank spells are still per rest. I doubt they ever convert into per encounter as you get more per rest uses to spell ranks as you level.

Edit:
Level 9 I believe.

Waat? I need check that, but I could swear my spells are still per rest.

Eh, that's kind of a stretch. Endurance IS "HP" as far as combat mechanics are concerned, and priests have what you would expect priests to have when it comes to restoring that.

Depends how you look at it. I see restoring endurance as restoring faith and will to stay standing and keep on fighting. HP then is HP and it goes to 0 zero and you are ded.

Maybe weird way of thinking it, but yeah.

Irobot82

Well my party is at level 10 and low rank spells are still per rest. I doubt they ever convert into per encounter as you get more per rest uses to spell ranks as you level.

Edit:

Waat? I need check that, but I could swear my spells are still per rest.

Depends how you look at it. I see restoring endurance as restoring faith and will to stay standing and keep on fighting. HP then is HP and it goes to 0 zero and you are ded.

Maybe weird way of thinking it, but yeah.

According to the manual. Tier 1 spells become per encounter at level 9 and tier 2 at level 11.

Morzak

Great I just realized that after
Maerwald, I never got the next main Story line Quest and I have no Idea how to get it, I talked to the steward and nothing triggered.Rebuilt the required Baricade in the Stronghold, really don't want to load a save from back there since I already spent 5+ hours in Defiance bay

Aaron D.

While this may be a contributing factor, I'm not sure it explains the whole story.

I've been playing for about 18 hours and started noticing some serious load-time issues for the first time last night. This is without having laid a single trap of any kind. I also have no Chanters in my party.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
While this may be a contributing factor, I'm not sure it explains the whole story.

I've been playing for about 18 hours and started noticing some serious load-time issues for the first time last night. This is without having laid a single trap of any kind. I also have no Chanters in my party.

You need to think about your life choices immediately.

Bluth54

I totally missed this post. Hopefully Obsidian includes a fix for it in the patch we're supposed to be getting soon.

I had a ridiculous load time when loading a save last night. After the initial load it wasn't so bad between maps, but I definitely think something's up. I'm not sure if my chanter is even using the trap spells, I've only been played maybe 11 hours according to steam, but 3-4 of those were while afk at the title screen.

Durante

This sucks :< I restarted the game 4 times already. Is there an ETA for the patch? Maybe I'll wait and start everything from scratch again when the patch is released.
Why start over? The patch will fix it retroactively, all the information is there.

lol

Good thing all Kana will ever do is chant Ila nocked for my firing squad.
Real talk: Ila is OP. Sawyer will nerf it :p

Anoregon

I always have it as the middle phrase in my chants, but I never use a chant that is ONLY Ila because that's just boring.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still waiting for the bug where if you save and reload enough a plot npc floats through the ceiling and out of existence. God bless Morrowind.

Ozium

Why start over? The patch will fix it retroactively, all the information is there.

we don't know this

I would be very surprised if it didn't (specifically talking about talents there). All the information is still saved, otherwise removing and re-adding your party characters wouldn't work to fix it.

I'm with you, and hope you are right, but nothing is certain and I've seen tons of patches that should feasibly work require a fresh start... :/ we'll see

KingKong

Anyone else finding the combat to be really finnicky? It seems like I have to keep selecting attack or some members don't attack after they kill an enemy or use an ability. Am I missing some kind of auto-attack option? One perfect example is:

- I have 3 front line melee and 3 back line ranged. I'm fighting 2-3 enemies, and they all kill the first one or two. The melee ones go fight the third one that's further away, and my ranged just stand there out of range instead of moving up
- same thing with summons not attacking until I select them to, but maybe that's on purpose

Ozium

If the patch is coming out this week I might just hold off until picking it back up again. I am goign to b busy today and tomorrow anyways so hopefully by thursday it's good to go

Top Bottom