• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

kd-z

Still can't believe Eder and Aloth are voiced by the same actor, that guy should get a pat on the back for his versatility
This is nuts. Also, until tomorrow I was absolutely sure that Eder is voiced by Troy Baker. Apparently he isn't. The actor is so good.

No, IE games are not meant for coop

Why not? I think I remember BG and IWD had LAN co-op, if you so wanted.

It'd be nice if they consider it down the road, but I am not sure how far they are willing to go adding new stuff that were not mentioned during the Kickstarter. I don't even think they'll integrate Steam Workshop in the game (correct me if they have already said they will, please).

Durante

Can anyone who followed this game really close tell me - is there a chance of co-op down the line? Me and my wife finished Divinity this summer and it was my best gaming experience since Deus Ex. PoE seems like right up our alley - very hardcore when it comes to combat so I'd probably wait some time if there is some possibility of co-op added in expansions.
No, sadly co-op is out of scope for this game.

Anyone running with the ranger companion - there is an incredible bow on lvl 4 of the Endless Paths that she absolutely wrecks faces with. You can head down there at level ~4-5 easily, so consider it!
I should really get back there, it feels like I haven't been out of Defiance Bay for the last 15 hours of playing the game or so.

Burt

ToCHS1c.png

Sorry guys, it was just
red, green, and blue.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Are there still crippling bugs in the game? What should I be aware of?

Characters getting struck at certain points in the game, first triggered to me in the
Raedric Quest
where my mage companion in the party got struck on pathway around the circular section of the sewage pool.

Couldn't get rid of it no matter what (save, load, restart game, load again), not until I loaded a save file prior to that bug.

Burt

Nice. Is the story any good at the second half of the game?

Also, how long did it take you?
Story is pretty awesome in the second half, especially down the home stretch.

I'd say about 50 hours overall, factoring in reloads and the night I accidentally alt tabbed instead of quitting. But, I did sort of power through the second half, whereas I'm pretty sure I hit most everything in the first. I would guess around 70 for 100%, and probably at least 100 to do the same in Path of the Damned.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Anyone running with the ranger companion - there is an incredible bow on lvl 4 of the Endless Paths that she absolutely wrecks faces with. You can head down there at level ~4-5 easily, so consider it!

Is it
Persistence
?

Time to test this thing out.

Durante

Story is pretty awesome in the second half, especially down the home stretch.

I'd say about 50 hours overall, factoring in reloads and the night I accidentally alt tabbed instead of quitting. But, I did sort of power through the second half, whereas I'm pretty sure I hit most everything in the first. I would guess around 70 for 100%, and probably at least 100 to do the same in Path of the Damned.
Were you playing on hard?

I'm 40 hours into the game and a long way from being done with Act 2 :p

Lingitiz

Constantly saving and reloading in areas where companions are picked up will apparently stack stat boosts on your characters. Don't double click to equip anything or else you will lose all racial/passive bonuses.

Been affected by both of these and kinda killed my desire to play.

The_Poet

Banned
Characters getting struck at certain points in the game, first triggered to me in the
Raedric Quest
where my mage companion in the party got struck on pathway around the circular section of the sewage pool.

Couldn't get rid of it no matter what (save, load, restart game, load again), not until I loaded a save file prior to that bug.

Constantly saving and reloading in areas where companions are picked up will apparently stack stat boosts on your characters. Don't double click to equip anything or else you will lose all racial/passive bonuses.

Guess ill wait a bit for a patch.

How many save slots are there? I guess these could be worked around by saving every 10 minutes?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

I am 30 hours in and considering to restart from new again, mostly because my Fire Godlike Monk doesn't appear to proc Fire Godlike passive (when Endurance is low).

So been progressing through the (Hard Difficulty) game with certain passives not functioning on my party characters, I need an achievement
(yeah may be not, sigh)

Durante

How many save slots are there? I guess these could be worked around by saving every 10 minutes?
This is a PC game. There are no save slots.

At 98 it's getting a bit slow to open the save/load dialogue though, I'll have to archive some.

I am 30 hours in and considering to restart from new again, mostly because my Fire Godlike Monk doesn't appear to proc Fire Godlike passive (when Endurance is low).
I find that completely insane. Not only is that passive not really important in the grand scheme of things, it will also get restored in a patch likely this week. Are you sure you are restarting because of that and not for other reasons?

Lingitiz

As many as you want I presume.

It's pretty telling that I keep powering through the game in light of the bugs. It's really really damn good, I just hope they stomp these out fast.

Burt

Were you playing on hard?

I'm 40 hours into the game and a long way from being done with Act 2 :p
Yeah. I did stop going in for backer soul stories and reading books (and sometimes, shamefully, even flavor text for weapons) pretty early though. Just had to get the game through my system quick one time so I could get back to being productive without that gnawing urge trying to get me to play :) looking forward to a more in-depth PotD run once bugs get sorted.

I'm pretty sure Acts 3 and 4 were significantly shorter than 1 and 2 though. I feel like Defiance Bay alone was longer than either of them. So you might not actually be that far behind my pace, at least until that point. I probably finished Act 2 at around 35 hours.

Fuuuuck that reminds me, I never got (Od Nua)
the blade pieces from Od Nua forged. Damn, I really wanted to see how that'd turn out. Guess I'll have to save it for my total asshole fighter.

I've just come across one under the stronghold. If you're a ranger you're animal companion can just disappear and if you try to leave the area the game won't let you since "you need to gather your party" which of course you can no longer do.

I might want to check whether I'm affected with that stat boost bug later.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I find that completely insane. Not only is that passive not really important in the grand scheme of things, it will also get restored in a patch likely this week. Are you sure you are restarting because of that and not for other reasons?

It is a critical (for me) to have certain functionality in the game for pure RP reasons, because I'd like to see certain interactions to happen in the game onscreen visually (its a strong visual feedback for me, like a Monk's handing glowing with fire with one of the passives).

The same way I dug the Monk's eye visual effect in Neverwinter Nights.

Edit: I can't wait until the patch is fixed and I am considering to keep a notepad next to me to write down every character passives as I switch between different sections/areas of the game, only saving when I enter the area and only saving again in the next.

Stevey

Hit the black screen bug last night in Raedric's Stronghold.
Went outside onto the roof and when I tried to go back in it happened.
Got loads of saves inside the keep to reload so what's the best thing to do? Clear the keep, exit, save, then fix the save with the 7zip fix?

Corsick

I posted this once before, but I was wondering if anyone has found a solution. Has anyone gotten past the bug in Act 2 where you're in the
temple of Woedica and you kill all of the hooded figures instead of learning the chants? I cannot progress the quest now and I've cleared the entire map. The link I found in regards to the bug is here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72996-i-think-im-stuck-never-far-from-the-queen/
. I'm really hoping there's a workaround as I'm now stuck after 14 hours of time spent playing.

Class balance does feel really weird in this game. I'm curious to see if they give that any sort of priority or if it's just one of those things that won't get addressed.

Some classes really need some more active abilities. Once my Paladin has used both Flames of Devotion it's auto attack until the end of the fight. Some moves would probably be better served with cooldowns instead of per encounter charges.

Dresden

As many as you want I presume.

It's pretty telling that I keep powering through the game in light of the bugs. It's really really damn good, I just hope they stomp these out fast.

Thought I wouldn't bother playing until some of the more egregious bugs were patched, but I just can't stay away. So I'm deathly afraid of accidentally double-clicking and I check my party's stats every time I load up a save, but it's worth it.

pahamrick

Thought I wouldn't bother playing until some of the more egregious bugs were patched, but I just can't stay away. So I'm deathly afraid of accidentally double-clicking and I check my party's stats every time I load up a save, but it's worth it.

I'd make backups of your saves too, just in case. The save corrupting bug kinda sucks.

Exactly like me. I was in the trade window, accidentally double-clicked instead of drag and drop which I know should not trigger the bug but still it made me go "fuck fuck fuck".

Lol, intense on so many levels, this game.

rakhir

I posted this once before, but I was wondering if anyone has found a solution. Has anyone gotten past the bug in Act 2 where you're in the
temple of Woedica and you kill all of the hooded figures instead of learning the chants? I cannot progress the quest now and I've cleared the entire map. The link I found in regards to the bug is here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72996-i-think-im-stuck-never-far-from-the-queen/
. I'm really hoping there's a workaround as I'm now stuck after 14 hours of time spent playing.
I just (ACT 2 spoilers)
murdered every one of them on sight and the game went smoothly, so it should work for you as well. Did you loot and read every thing there?

Corsick

I just (ACT 2 spoilers)
murdered every one of them on sight and the game went smoothly, so it should work for you as well. Did you loot and read every thing there?

I got everything I think.
I looted every body and opened anything I could while sneaking around holding tab. A vision or some dialogue is supposed to trigger in that same room and it hasn't triggered. All the NPCs are dead on that map.

ivb_1973

Banned
Act 1

Just beat
Raedric's keep
last night.

I was about to kill the animancer but her words seemed reasonable enough so I lied to her about helping her cause, freed the monk and entered to the throne to kill Raedric without having to kill the animancer or the priest.
What a fight! Is the most intense shit I played so far. I just felt so powerful beating him and his minions (playing on hard without stat bugs).
I just lied about helping kill Kolsc so I could put in a defensive position in the center of the throne near Raedric, so his warriors couldn't get up and I could face all of them with my characters (the first 4 companions and my chanter). It ended up in a long but unique fight, spamming all I got. Ohh yiss

But the best is the number of possibilities this mission had... are there more missions like this in the game? This is my favourite area so far.

Raphael

Found a really great 2h sword. Its in the place you fight
the red dragon to get the spark.

Also not really feeling the
druid
companion.

Bastos

Waaaait. So if I already equipped something by double clicking, I lost my bonuses and can only fix it by restarting from scratch? :<

Lingitiz

Waaaait. So if I already equipped something by double clicking, I lost my bonuses and can only fix it by restarting from scratch? :<

The easy workaround right now is to dismiss party members and re-add them. For your PC there's a manual workaround Durante posted around here but it might be easier just to wait for the patch.

Right now I'm doing two things: never double clicking to equip, and never saving and loading in areas where companions are picked up. It's a pain but I'll suffer through it till the next patch hits. Hopefully it retroactively fixes current saves.

Tacitus_

The hell with the last boss. I dropped the difficulty to easy and still

main boss dropping whole party nukes that take half of my endurance away and his add has an aoe knockdown on the damn autoattack

Visceir

ToCHS1c.png

Sorry guys, it was just
red, green, and blue.

DId you have any difficulties with the last boss? I found it to be rather impossible and had to turn god mode on.

The hell with the last boss. I dropped the difficulty to easy and still

main boss dropping whole party nukes that take half of my endurance away and his add has an aoe knockdown on the damn autoattack

I just turned god mode on and even then it took me like 10+ minutes of wailing on them to finally kill them. Seems like they heal up too.

Top Bottom