• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Violet_0

Banned
Did they say if they were making an expansion for sure or not? Pellagina's personal quest has me wanting to visit her homeland in future content.

If they do, and they don't call it Knights of the Vailian Republics, I'm gonna be disappointed.

certainly hope so, since I already paid for it

traditionally the expansions for these games are usually about invading some god's home turf

I meant that 12 might and 16 int is ridiculously low for a Wizard. At least a powergaming Wizard. The base stats of mine are 18 might and 20 int :p
I don't like powergaming to that extent because it feels untrue to the world, but ymmv. My suspicion is that Aloth's attributes were decided back when PER affected accuracy and or range, but they never revisited them after that.

Burt

I just noticed that Steam achievements don't seem to have worked for at least half my playthrough, that's a shame.

Also, I don't have a save before the point of no return, which is even worse.
Multiple people have reported saves becoming bloated like hell after some hours.

Yeah, quicksaves went from a tiny stutter to locking up for long enough that I'm never entirely positive the game hasn't just frozen.

Zornack

Did they say if they were making an expansion for sure or not? Pellagina's personal quest has me wanting to visit her homeland in future content.

If they do, and they don't call it Knights of the Vailian Republics, I'm gonna be disappointed.

The only information I can find concerning an expansion pack is that Kickstarter backers had the option to pledge an additional $20 for a digital version of the expansion. So it seems an expansion is confirmed.

Do you have many party members? There's no way you should be dying instantly south of town. Most of the surrounding areas of Gilded Vale are the real beginner areas.

yes. I have 3 of them now. 2 wizards and me as a fighter. Wolves wreck me going south. Honestly, im not sure what im doing wrong...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I asked this many pages ago, but didn't get an answer -

Does anyone know specifically what Path of the Damned does to enemy composition and strength? It's weird the game has been out for a while and we still don't have definitive answers.

Everyone just keeps saying it's all the enemies from Easy + Normal + Hard. But does that mean if Normal had 1 Skuldr King and Hard had 2 Skuldr Kings, does POTD have 3 of them?

Or does PotD take all the enemies unique to each difficulty and toss them in? So it'd take the Hard enemy placement, add in any from Normal that aren't in the Hard enemy configuration, then add in any from Easy that aren't there.

Lastly, what specific buffs to health/def are the enemies receiving? 50%?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I just noticed that Steam achievements don't seem to have worked for at least half my playthrough, that's a shame.

Also, I don't have a save before the point of no return, which is even worse.

This is the reason why I don't want to try triple crown solo until everything is ironed out properly. I upgraded my keep entirely and didn't get the achievement unlock for it for whatever reason. I would be salty as hell if I managed to get through triple crown solo and it bugs out at the end.

KePoW

Banned
The loadtimes are kinda annoying. I run the game on an SSD and loading still takes about 35 seconds here. No idea why

That is definitely not normal

You haven't been saving/loading a lot have you? That is confirmed to make the load times worse and worse as you go along

do NOT needlessly save and re-load a lot, that's one of those stupid habits that some RPGers seem to have

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That is definitely not normal

You haven't been saving/loading a lot have you? That is confirmed to make the load times worse and worse as you go along

do NOT needlessly save and re-load a lot, that's one of those stupid habits that some RPGers seem to have

That sounds like something that needs to be fixed...

KePoW

Banned
That sounds like something that needs to be fixed...

oh btw I was not personally calling you stupid

it was a generalization of all gamers, including me at one time. But then I got a lot better & smarter and don't needlessly save too much in games anymore. Most of the times it's really not necessary and just that people are OCD

Artanisix

"I asked this many pages ago, but didn't get an answer -

Does anyone know specifically what Path of the Damned does to enemy composition and strength? It's weird the game has been out for a while and we still don't have definitive answers."

I'm playing on PotD right now and I'm almost certain that it just copies the enemy layout from hard.

So removing some old save files might help?
Quicksaving takes a solid 10 seconds for me. Again: The game is on an SSD

Just look at the size of the files. They start out like 400k or so and mine are up to like 1.4mb now and I'm only level 5.

I imagine they get much bigger and that.

I have noticed on start of the game it takes a while for the game to even load all the saves, you get the gears turning in the continue and load buttons.

aravuus

Not even done with Act 1, but I'm loving it so much I'm gonna give the Baldur's Gate games another try. Sorry for the brief off-topic in advance, but since this thread is full of CRPG enthusiasts, I gotta ask here: should I play BG1 before BG2? And how, original versions, enhanced versions? Any mods? Expansions? Keep in mind that I'm gonna blatantly cheat my way through the actual battles, so I'm looking for the slickest, fastest, best looking way to play them with as much story/side quest content as possible.

e: also any other older crpgs i should check out if i want more great writing? aside from the obvious ps: torment, which i've finished a couple of times

Durante

Just look at the size of the files. They start out like 400k or so and mine are up to like 1.4mb now and I'm only level 5.

This is pretty much unavoidable in an RPG like this though. You need to store every permanent interaction with anything (including picking up loot) the player has done on every map they visited.

peakish

I'm feeling very overleveled right now in Act 2. Not sure if I've been struck hard by the power-up bugs, Eder still only has less than 50 deflection without items. No idea about the rest. Either way, if a patch nerfs my team I'll be more than happy.

Next playthrough will definitely be on Path of the Damned.

I keep getting a black screen of death whenever I enter the keep hall in Raedric's Hold. Oh well, I'm done with the quest there so I guess it doesn't matter too much. I just hope it's not something I'll run into again in other more important areas.

Durante

Not even done with Act 1, but I'm loving it so much I'm gonna give the Baldur's Gate games another try. Sorry for the brief off-topic in advance, but since this thread is full of CRPG enthusiasts, I gotta ask here: should I play BG1 before BG2? And how, original versions, enhanced versions? Any mods? Expansions? Keep in mind that I'm gonna blatantly cheat my way through the actual battles, so I'm looking for the slickest, fastest, best looking way to play them with as much story/side quest content as possible.
1) You should play Baldur's Gate 1 before 2.
2) At this point, you should probably play the enhanced editions for the most hassle-free setup. They include the expansions.
3) You should not cheat, you're depriving yourself of half the experience :p

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Baldur's Gate 1 turned me off the series for a long while, so if it's hard going skip to 2. It is a much, much better game (for example, there are enemies in it that aren't just recoloured wolves).

I think I need a rundown on the cosmology/religion of this world a bit. I keep running into documents and discussions that just make me go "wait, what?"

If I'm remembering right, some characters have referred to some gods as actually being multiple gods, somehow? I think Durance was saying something along those lines. Or maybe it's the same god but seen in a different light by a different group of people with different aspects being emphasized? I don't know.

For example, the destroyed temple in First Fires, Defiance Bay -
I thought Eothas was the god everyone hated, because the Dyrwood were invaded by a man claiming to be the embodiment of Eothas. Yet here, it's the temple of Woedica that was destroyed, and Eder seemed distraught about that. How is Woedica linked to Eothas?

What determines available adventurer levels when purchasing a new character at an inn? Is it pegged to the inn (e.g., the Black Hound will only ever offer level 1 and 2 adventurers, Goose and Fox will only ever offer 2 and 4, etc.) or does it scale up with your level (e.g., if the main character's level is 7, then inns will offer adventurers up to level 6)? I meant to check on this last night but forgot to do so.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I have noticed on start of the game it takes a while for the game to even load all the saves, you get the gears turning in the continue and load buttons.

Yeah, mine are up to 3,5 MB now.
I hope they can fix this.

Burt

What determines available adventurer levels when purchasing a new character at an inn? Is it pegged to the inn (e.g., the Black Hound will only ever offer level 1 and 2 adventurers, Goose and Fox will only ever offer 2 and 4, etc.) or does it scale up with your level (e.g., if the main character's level is 7, then inns will offer adventurers up to level 6)? I meant to check on this last night but forgot to do so.

Yeah, they're scaled to 1 level below you at all inns. Fortunately, there's enough XP available in the game that it should never be a problem getting them caught up, unless you're picking up new companions 65 hours in.

1) You should play Baldur's Gate 1 before 2.
2) At this point, you should probably play the enhanced editions for the most hassle-free setup. They include the expansions.
3) You should not cheat, you're depriving yourself of half the experience :p

Back when I first played BG2, it was literally my first RPG and I had no clue about any D&D rules or anything. I struggled through the combat at first but the story and world made me want to keep playing, even not having played BG1 first.

So eventually I just cheated my way through the combat insta-gibbing any enemy with my base attack and had a blast.

I went back through after and learned the systems which were great fun but if you just want to experience the story, there's no problem with cheating. The story and companions are that good.

Violet_0

Banned
I think I need a rundown on the cosmology/religion of this world a bit. I keep running into documents and discussions that just make me go "wait, what?"

If I'm remembering right, some characters have referred to some gods as actually being multiple gods, somehow? I think Durance was saying something along those lines. Or maybe it's the same god but seen in a different light by a different group of people with different aspects being emphasized? I don't know.

that's sort of like the real ancient polytheistic religions, where gods can have many different epithets and aspects, taking them over from other gods when they phase out, can be known under different names in different regions with different personalities, genders and worshiping practices

Yeah, they're scaled to 1 level below you at all inns. Fortunately, there's enough XP available in the game that it should never be a problem getting them caught up, unless you're picking up new companions 65 hours in.
Did you hit the cap pretty early?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

BG1's balance issues are beyond imagination. If you start as someone squishy you could find yourself dying to the first enemy in the game 10+ times before the attack rolls happen to randomly go your way. Archery will slaughter you instantly, and level 1 crowd control spells from a wizard can instawipe your entire party if you don't make your saving throws.

It also has serious issues with party members being bundled together as teams, and many of them having timed quests (that you don't know the time limit for) you have to complete or they suddenly go aggo on you and die to your party. It's also very generic fantasy setting and writing, and the exploration maps have huge huge swaths of empty space scattered with a few important encounters, so it can be tedious to clear them. Think like 4x the size of PoE exploration maps, but with similar amounts of content per map and no fast mode.

It was pretty awesome back in the day, though, because there was nothing like it so there was a real sense of exploration and wonder. Also it's still a really hardcore play experience, which has its virtues, but because so much randomness is involved you have to quicksave a lot. The BG1 Enhanced Edition I think ports the game to the BG2 engine, which improves the UI considerably and makes it support higher resolutions. That being said, it's by no means a must play, whereas BG2 is still one of the best RPGs ever, 15 years later.

rakhir

e: also any other older crpgs i should check out if i want more great writing? aside from the obvious ps: torment, which i've finished a couple of times
I started with Bg2, it's a much better game, vastly improved every aspect of the first game. The main thing is also that you start the game at level 6-7, so you basically skip through the boring levels of d&d from the first game.
But yes, you will skip a lot of story stuff from the first game.

I think the enhanced edition are now patched, so they are the best and easiest way to play through this games now. If you don't mind modding you can get the original from gog, but it's not that vastly superior Version.

God this game is all I've wished for since the IE days.

Started right off the bat with a Path of the Damned run and went in blind with a glass cannon rogue. 3 base constitution, and 4 base int (Godlike). At lvl 6 the main char has 1 endurance less than Aloth(!) but will still wreck everyone as long as no one targets him with a spell as his willpower is really, really low.

Path of the Damned feels pretty much like Baldur's Gate 2 with the Tactics mod, though with better class balance and less cheese. Some encounters feel absolutely impossible to beat but then you figure out some formation or skill that'll completely change the outcome.

Despite path-finding CONSTANTLY screwing me over in combat, confusion being the most obnoxious shit since confusion in BG2 (WHY would my characters auto-attack their friend because she/he's confused!?), and characters being nearly impossible to distinguish in large battles (especially if there's a piece of environment in front) this is better than IE ever was. Infinitely better than Dragon Age 1, which I did enjoy.

Itemization is great, the active abilities you have in combat is great, the resting system is brilliant (2 rests/dungeon makes you really think about which spells to use), they nail everything.

Oh so happy.

I'm planning on making a similar rogue! What is your build and what weapons are you using? I was thinking dual wielding spears, taking Riposte and Adept Evasion.

I like the idea of I need to not get hit, and I do a shit ton of damage, if I get hit I die.

So removing some old save files might help?
Quicksaving takes a solid 10 seconds for me. Again: The game is on an SSD

I guess this is something that needs to be reposted often, one major reason why saves are bloating and causing save/load issues is using chanters with the rime and frost trap chant.

The game keeps saving them every time the chant is done without ever deleting them. Someone examined the files and said that in his game, the rime and frost traps were like 50% of the save file.

Burt

Did you hit the cap pretty early?
Probably somewhere towards the backend of Act 3, I think. I was super thorough in Acts 1 and 2, but not nearly as much so in 3 and 4. Did Od Nua, 3/4 bounties, a few character sidequests, but I wasn't running over areas with the fine-toothed comb I was before.

Edit: Actually, I did Od Nua before I finished Act 2, and between that, the end of Act 2, and a few main quest steps and bounties in Act 3, I think I might've capped out early Act 3.

Thanks. I'm tempted to clone the rogue I rolled about two hours into the game, but I'd like to see the end of the companion questlines first. I'll keep this in mind if someone's not carrying his/her weight on the deepest floors of Od Nua.

GDJustin

Yeah, I mean, the eternal BG1/BG2 question is kinda tough.

BG1 is all about very low-level D&D combat, which can be pretty hard to get into. Expect to miss 90% of the time or more. It's also considerably more directionless/open, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but does make the game even harder to get into. Lastly, BG1's story is very minimal. It barely has a story for 10-20 hours, honestly.

BG2, on the other hand, is basically a God-tier RPG in virtually every way. Incredible writing, high-level combat means your party and everyone you face off against can be extremely deadly. Maybe the greatest RPG city of all time. A truly ridiculous amount of content.

I suspect that a lot of people tried to catch up on CRPGs with BG1 and ended up abandoning it. It can be rough, even with mods. But even so, it's hard to recommend jumping straight into BG2, since it's a direct sequel.

I say try BG1, and if you can't get through it, drop it shame-free, read the story spoilers, then jump straight into BG2. You're almost guaranteed to have a better time there.

Get the Enhanced Editions, or get the games off GOG and mod them. I'm an idiot when it comes to PC gaming and modding, and I played BG1 and 2 from GOG with mods no problem. There are pinned guides on the GOG BG forum that make it fail-proof.

Edit: If you do play BG1, follow this guide. Don't listen to anyone else - this is 1000% the best one: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/. It's what finally allowed me to get through BG1 after 4-5 attempts. It's story spoiler-free, it includes complete maps, and it's comprehensive. It'll tell you to loot every dresser, etc., but any part of the checklist you want to skip you can skip.

FACE

Banned
Aloth is really overrated imo especially in longer dungeons when his spells run out of uses and you're left with only his super short range arcane AOE. Druid is very underrated and I get the feeling that many people aren't using him at all. He's actually very potent and a fun character if you like sarcastic assholes.

I curbed Aloth for Hiravias and never looked back, that dude dishes out tons of damage and has a billion spells.

Edit: My main character is a wizard, though. So Aloth felt a bit redundant.

So I picked this game up (despite having a pretty large WRPG backlog). Figured I can play it inbetween BB sessions.

A few questions:
Can I just kind of build my character without looking up builds online? Aka just follow the recommended stats and pump points into those? I don't mind looking at builds online but if it won't hurt my playthrough, I'd much rather do it blind.

I saw mention of a bug, I completely missed it. Is it still in the game and what is it?

aravuus

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Gonna at least try to go through BG1 before moving on to the sequel, but I may have to resort to reading a plot summary, so I won't be completely lost when starting BG2.

Also I'll try to avoid cheating as much as possible lol

Kimaka

Is there a console command that gets rid of the line of sight circle? Makes sense in dungeons, but I don't like it in towns.

Arcteryx

I guess this is something that needs to be reposted often, one major reason why saves are bloating and causing save/load issues is using chanters with the rime and frost trap chant.

The game keeps saving them every time the chant is done without ever deleting them. Someone examined the files and said that in his game, the rime and frost traps were like 50% of the save file.

hahaha that's quite the miss.

Paches

Having trouble (possible bug?) with the quest "The Man Who Waits":

When I talk to the final patient and I go through the dialogue and do the cutscene where he activates the Constructs and unleashes the prisoners, after that fight, every thing is aggro'd on me on the first floor and the entire santarium hates me. Is there any way to avoid slaughtering the entire building? Am I missing something in the dialogue choices? Tried it a couple times and didnt see a way to not stop this. Maybe after the patient cutscene not be as hostile towards Caedman Azo? The quest log alludes to interacting with the patient after the big fight, but I cant do anything in his room, his corpse/body is just laying there.

GDJustin

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Gonna at least try to go through BG1 before moving on to the sequel, but I may have to resort to reading a plot summary, so I won't be completely lost when starting BG2.

If you make a fighter PC and follow the guide I linked to you won't need to cheat. Quicksave a lot in the early levels, but after that you'll be loaded up with Magical items and should be OK.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm gonna try to get through Baldur's Gate series during the summer and I honestly just plan to read a TL;DR of BG1. I'm sure the story is good but I don't want to slog through the gameplay and delay myself from playing BG2.

When I talk to the final patient and I go through the dialogue and do the cutscene where he activates the Constructs and unleashes the prisoners, after that fight, every thing is aggro'd on me on the first floor and the entire santarium hates me. Is there any way to avoid slaughtering the entire building? Am I missing something in the dialogue choices? Tried it a couple times and didnt see a way to not stop this. Maybe after the patient cutscene not be as hostile towards Caedman Azo? The quest log alludes to interacting with the patient after the big fight, but I cant do anything in his room, his corpse/body is just laying there.

This is a weird one that took me quite sometime to figure out.

Basically after I release the spirit I did not go back to Azo and kill him for his experiments. I just beelined it out of the building and back to the first floor and it seemed to work properly. If you get attacked by the evil little children and guards are dead then all is good. I don't know if that was the legit trigger for it and I had to reload several times but that's what fixed it for me. You progress this quest by talking to the statue dude and then going back to house w/e they're called and reporting to the old lady what just happened.

There's not a whole lot of plot in BG1 and BG2 explains what you need to know anyway. Don't play BG1 just to know the story beats.

Nordicus

The exploration maps have huge huge swaths of empty space scattered with a few important encounters, so it can be tedious to clear them. Think like 4x the size of PoE exploration maps, but with similar amounts of content per map and no fast mode.
Then you also have the respawning enemies in wilderness maps, and during world map travel, you can get random encounters. These things make exploration a bit of a chore, especially when your party's not in great shape and you're going back to a temple to revive someone. Cross your fingers that the RNG won't be in the mood to waste your time

Durante

Hmm, that's strange. For me only
the patients and constructs in the lower wing were aggressive. Could it be that you hit some ally with any AoE or something like that?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Look, I'm not saying this is the best game ever made, but I am saying it may be the most important event in human history since the creation of the wheel.

goblin

I think I've finished Aloth's personal quest, but I'm not sure:
is there anything after talking to the lady in the sanitarium? A simply yes/no will suffice. thank you.
If his quest is done I'll probably drop him from my party for someone else.

No, his quest is done. There's more to learn about him as a character but you won't get experience for it.

Question for anyone who finished the game and decided to stop using Aloth after completing his quest:
Could you send me a PM about what happens in his ending slide?

For easiest setup, go with the enhanced editions. If you're just looking for story, I'd play them in order and gun through BG1, skipping Tales of the Sword Coast content. If you're dead-set on cheating (which I'd only recommend to get through BG1 before actually playing through the sequel) then do yourself a favor and open up the console to give yourself Boots of Speed for the entire party. You're gonna be doing a lot of walking across a lot of uninteresting areas.

I thought Eothas was the god everyone hated, because the Dyrwood were invaded by a man claiming to be the embodiment of Eothas. Yet here, it's the temple of Woedica that was destroyed, and Eder seemed distraught about that. How is Woedica linked to Eothas?

Woedica was cast down a long time ago -- possibly because she believed all the other gods should stand under her -- but she's not dead per se. That's why she's known as "The Exiled Queen" and her followers talk about her taking back her throne (above other gods). I don't think Woedica worship is illegal, per se, just not en vogue because of how long ago she was deposed. Eothas, on the other hand, was somehow "killed" during the relatively recent war and ever since then has stopped communicating with his priests on top of having his worship outlawed in Dyrwood. I forget why Eder is upset; maybe he's just drawing parallels between the two destroyed temples?

Top Bottom