• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Kinthalis

Banned
Imagine Pillars of Eternity 2 now that they have so much of the tech and mechanics and world-building in place.

Just imagine it.

brb-imagination-o.gif

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Agreed, once they fix the bugs with stats & numbers, I think the combat mechanics is better than BG2

Story-wise and epicness remains to be seen, because I'm not too far in yet. But part of what made BG2 GOAT is Throne of Bhaal, so you gotta give PoE at least one xpac to compare

The world does feel kinda small to me but I'm only in the later parts of act 2 and just reached Dyrford crossing. I can only imagine how great an expansion would be to this game, all the gameplay bugs padded out and a new world to travel to and explore.

Burt

Grieving Mother as well, at least their first iterations.

According to Avellone, she and Durance were reduced to about 1/4th of their original vision after reiterations.

Still, the Avellone influence with Durance was felt immediately. I haven't met Grieving Mother just yet, but the name is already interesting. ;)

I didn't use Grieving Mother at all (a mistake, going by this thread), but Durance's character arc is pretty great. I can see why his dickishness turns some people off, but he's well worth sticking with. Would love to be able to see what was intended.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know who wrote what? Avellone did the original Mother/Durance treatment, and the paladin's Josh, but what about the rest?

Labadal

Od Nua level 13 progress:
For the level 13 Od Nua issue, there's a certain main quest that will allow you to pass this point.

Unfortunately the Strategy Guide is missing that step and I don't want to post any spoilers.
There's a certain main quest that will allow you to pass this point.

Unfortunately the Strategy Guide is missing that step and I don't want to post any spoilers.

This link shows posts made by Obsidian devs on their forum. It's a really good dev tracker.

You have some once-per-rest skills on level-up, one that heals roughly 100 HP on user, and one that heals 50 HP on any chosen party member

Not sure about spells. Likely not

So priests are more about preventing damage then healing it, huh?

I need to force myself to get more tactical with this game in order to keep the combat interesting. I was struggling, so I dropped it down to easy. But then I basically stomped through Readric's Fortress without a scratch, so I think I can start challenging myself again.

Also... like, none of my dudes have gloves, boots, or belts yet. Does it take a while for that stuff to start showing up?

Hats don't seem to have any benefits at all either (at least not yet). I thought that seemed odd. Are they merely cosmetic?

Overall the loot in this game is pretty disappointing though. I'm never interested in getting items from chests\enemies\anything. It's all very standard gear that I already have 29 of lying around in my stash. Which really doesn't satisfy the loot whore in me at all. I guess it's just not a focus in these games...

I didn't use Grieving Mother at all (a mistake, going by this thread), but Durance's character arc is pretty great. I can see why his dickishness turns some people off, but he's well worth sticking with. Would love to be able to see what was intended.

Grieving Mother was pretty much by MVP at the end of the game. Some of those cipher abilities are way too powerful, but I loved them.

I have a pair or people that still show that after the pay day. or is pay day individually set for each mercenary depending on when you hired them?

I think if they show it after the pay day, it's because you're now onto the next week and they once more haven't been paid for that. It's kinda silly to have the "unpaid" marker, since I've never seen it change to "paid", but I guess it's just as a reminder to players that this is a weekly expense, not a one-off.

I have about 22 hours of work-related travel over the next five days. That would normally be a source of irritation, but now I see it as 22 hours in which no one can blame me for playing Eternity to the exclusion of all other concerns. This game is the best.

Zeliard

I enjoy Durance's impatience with the PC and his general aloofness (at least early on, dunno how he might change).

Shades of Ignus from PS:T.

Brojito

Neo Member
Grieving Mother as well, at least their first iterations.

According to Avellone, she and Durance were reduced to about 1/4th of their original vision after reiterations.

Still, the Avellone influence with Durance was felt immediately. I haven't met Grieving Mother just yet, but the name is already interesting. ;)

Huh, interesting. Did he provide any other details as to how exactly they were "reduced"? Just trimming their quest arcs, or what?

Felspawn

quick question, my favorite playstyle in BG1 and 2 was the Blade a Bard kit. I also really enjoyed the thief/mage multiclass. Are there classes in Pillars that offer a similar playstyle? (Jack of all trades and or Sneaky Mage)

goblin

So priests are more about preventing damage then healing it, huh?

I need to force myself to get more tactical with this game in order to keep the combat interesting. I was struggling, so I dropped it down to easy. But then I basically stomped through Readric's Fortress without a scratch, so I think I can start challenging myself again.

Also... like, none of my dudes have gloves, boots, or belts yet. Does it take a while for that stuff to start showing up?

Hats don't seem to have any benefits at all either (at least not yet). I thought that seemed odd. Are they merely cosmetic?

Overall the loot in this game is pretty disappointing though. I'm never interested in getting items from chests\enemies\anything. It's all very standard gear that I already have 29 of lying around in my stash. Which really doesn't satisfy the loot whore in me at all. I guess it's just not a focus in these games...

For all intents and purposes, Endurance is damage in combat and Priests can restore it (as well as prevent it to some extent with buffs). If your Endurance falls to zero, your character is out of the fight unless you have revival spells. Health controls if your character dies permanently, as well as handicaps Endurance at low levels. Try to think of Endurance as you would HP in any other game except that it all comes back after a fight, and Health as an indicator of when you should rest.

It takes a little while for magical accessories to show up, but there are a lot of them. Quite a few magical hats, too. The loot gets better with a larger amount of more interesting, uniquely named items as you progress further in the game -- a lot of stuff is available from shops, found in dungeons like The Endless Paths, or given as quest rewards. The progression is pretty similar to BG1 where it'll be a while before you can fully outfit your entire party, though, and it'll never throw items at you like an action-RPG.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, interesting. Did he provide any other details as to how exactly they were "reduced"? Just trimming their quest arcs, or what?

You were supposed to be able to go into their mind as some sort of dungeon/text adventure hybrid. I imagine time and effort is why they were cut.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Imagine Pillars of Eternity 2 now that they have so much of the tech and mechanics and world-building in place.

Just imagine it.

I want PoE2 with dual/multiclassing. Monk/Cipher would be OP as fuck.

Zeliard

It was in an interview done by our very close friends over at RPG Codex.

Here's what Avellone said about it:

Chris Avellone: "To be clear, and to give credit where credit is due on content contributions (I don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder), I wrote the first iterations of two companions (Durance and the Grieving Mother, who have been scaled down to about ¼ of what they were originally, and the Grieving Mother’s mental dungeon was excised as well, which was essentially a stealth adventure game inside her memories).

The final versions that are in the game are the province of other narrative designers, and I would be uncomfortable taking credit for the final implementation of the two characters."

I'm not sure if he's elaborated on that elsewhere.

Dresden

I'd like to see class kits in the expansion or sequel, but dual/multi classing could get really messy. If it's anything like 3e+ D&D, no thanks.

petghost

Banned
I'd like to see class kits in the expansion or sequel, but dual/multi classing could get really messy. If it's anything like 3e+ D&D, no thanks.

Maybe instead of d & d style multiclassing they can just make really big distinctions in how talents affect your build. really specialized things like a druid who stops learning spells but gets great bonuses to spritshift or whatever.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Also, not every class should be able to pick locks. Pet peeve of mine of modern RPGs that snuck its way into this one. That needs to go away ASAP. Rogues were definitely sort of out of place in PoE. Still my favorite class, but that's because I forced my PC to be the only mechanic character. Rangers could have it too, but there is no way a chanter or warrior should be able to take mechanics, imo.

But that is such a nitpicky thing.

Hell naa. One of the things I love about BG2 is how massive and relatively limitless the class combos are.

Some people like to be able to do everything, I prefer to have to make choices with my character builds. It's an ideological difference that is basically the nerd equivalent of the Democrats and Republicans.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, not every class should be able to pick locks. Pet peeve of mine of modern RPGs that snuck its way into this one. That needs to go away ASAP. Rogues were definitely sort of out of place in PoE. Still my favorite class, but that's because I forced my PC to be the only mechanic character. Rangers could have it too, but there is no way a chanter or warrior should be able to take mechanics, imo.

So you would rather have some classes be 100% necessary than allow some flexibility? No thanks.

Besides, Chanter is sort of the PoE Bard, and Bards can pick locks.

Tenck

I can't stop laughing when Durance says his line "If it makes you rest easier."

Just makes me love the game even more.

Any ETA on the patch other than "this week"? I re-rolled and took a break from the game after getting hit with the buffs removal, but I'm also worried about some of the gamebreaking ones for Ciphers, monster/pet spawns and the load times one.

WanderingWind

So you would rather have some classes be 100% necessary than allow some flexibility? No thanks.

Besides, Chanter is sort of the PoE Bard, and Bards can pick locks.

100 percent necessary for some things, absolutely without a doubt and twice on Sunday.

Brojito

Neo Member
I'm getting tired of seeing articles from gaming websites about Pillars "mega-bug" or whatever the particular site decides to call it.

I know there's a couple of frustrating bugs out there right now, but it's looking like it'll be patched soon and we'll all be happy again in a week. No reason for websites to overblow Pillars bug problems so we can all hear more mindless "Obsidian fucked up again hurrrrr" from everyone.

I mean, they just made probably one of the greatest RPGS of the last few years and we all can't get over a few early bugs? I'm just tired of them getting beaten down with this stereotype considering that, ya know, Skyrim on PS3 and the Halo MCC were actual games, that actually got released, and stayed in the state they were in for MONTHS.

Serrato

I really like the game so far. 25h in, still in Act 2, have all the Companions, level 6.

So far, who would say that a 6 Druid Party would be completely overkill? Maybe switch with a Priest and a Fighter.

Also, about all the epic battle, since the max level is currently... 12 IIRC, does that mean that for the expansions it's gonna 1-up everything fight wise? *shivers*

If I started this game on hard, I would have quit 2 hours in and never played it again :p

It's been a while since I've played an RPG like this. Gotta easy back into it. I already know I'll be restarting my game with a new class eventually anyways.

It takes a little while for magical accessories to show up, but there are a lot of them. Quite a few magical hats, too. The loot gets better with a larger amount of more interesting, uniquely named items as you progress further in the game -- a lot of stuff is available from shops, found in dungeons like The Endless Paths, or given as quest rewards. The progression is pretty similar to BG1 where it'll be a while before you can fully outfit your entire party, though, and it'll never throw items at you like an action-RPG.

I've never played BG1, but I get the idea. I don't want it to throw items at me... if anything, I'd say that's exactly what it's doing. I just sold like 69 weapons to the blacksmith at like 5-10 CP a piece. I just mindlessly add this stuff to my stash without even looking at it :\

My beef with that is it makes a certain class essentially required, and I think that is boring/lazy. In every BG game you pretty much need some flavor of thief, or know the game so well that you can work your way around them. If they do start making skills class-specific in some way, they need to make sure more than rogues can handle the job adequately. Especially if they don't do multi-classing in Pillars 2.

Character and party diversity is the altar at which I worship.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It was in an interview done by our very close friends over at RPG Codex.

Here's what Avellone said about it:

Chris Avellone: "To be clear, and to give credit where credit is due on content contributions (I don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder), I wrote the first iterations of two companions (Durance and the Grieving Mother, who have been scaled down to about ¼ of what they were originally, and the Grieving Mother’s mental dungeon was excised as well, which was essentially a stealth adventure game inside her memories).

The final versions that are in the game are the province of other narrative designers, and I would be uncomfortable taking credit for the final implementation of the two characters."

I'm not sure if he's elaborated on that elsewhere.

I really hope they let him go wild in future iterations. Mind dungeons sound absolutely fascinating and would've been a neat add-on to the NPC soul stories.

Dresden

Maybe instead of d & d style multiclassing they can just make really big distinctions in how talents affect your build. really specialized things like a druid who stops learning spells but gets great bonuses to spritshift or whatever.

Yeah. Kits, talents, just character development decisions that alter their method of play in a meaningful way. Shapeshifters are an obvious one; or rangers divested of their pets, or paladins that are interesting to play.

Anoregon

100 percent necessary for some things, absolutely without a doubt and twice on Sunday.

I just don't see the reason for it, other than adhering to some old archetypes for the sake of tradition.

Arcteryx

quick question, my favorite playstyle in BG1 and 2 was the Blade a Bard kit. I also really enjoyed the thief/mage multiclass. Are there classes in Pillars that offer a similar playstyle? (Jack of all trades and or Sneaky Mage)

Kind of.

Cipher is kind of a Sneaky Mage. IMO, Rogue is best built as ranged. Chanter is pretty much a Bard on steroids.

WanderingWind

I just don't see the reason for it, other than adhering to some old archetypes for the sake of tradition.

Role. Playing game. If everybody can play the same role, it detracts from what I consider to be the point of the game. Considering the success of Oblivion et al., my view is definitely in the minority. PoE does a great job of addressing this in every area besides lockpicking so it's not a major deal.

Anoregon

Kind of.

Cipher is kind of a Sneaky Mage. IMO, Rogue is best built as ranged. Chanter is pretty much a Bard on steroids.

Agreed, Cipher definitely seems closest to what you want in terms of a class that can debuff and deal magic damage while also hanging in melee (even though pistol cipher is clearly the best.) Just dump your skill points into stealth and mechanics and you should have a pretty close fit.

Yeah, I guess the in-game lore reason is usually that wizards/casters etc. spend so much time studying and devoting themselves to their craft that they don't have time for more practical skills, lockpicking and such.

However this game and its world hasn't indicated anything like that. Everyone gets 6 skill points per level regardless of who they are, so everyone has time to train themselves in those abilities.

So there's no reason that anyone shouldn't be able to be stealthy and pick locks if they want to devote themselves to it. If the game's world allows for it then it shouldn't be restricted via mechanics either.

Thinking briefly about skills just made me want other non-combat type skills like Cooking and Enchanting and Scribing that would benefit those abilities.

Irobot82

Role. Playing game. If everybody can play the same role, it detracts from what I consider to be the point of the game. Considering the success of Oblivion et al., my view is definitely in the minority. PoE does a great job of addressing this in every area besides lockpicking so it's not a major deal.

My inherent ability to use lock picks has nothing to do with the fact that I can stab someone in the back or throw dirt in their eyes. As a very well read and intelligent wizard I find the finesse and fine skills of tumbler picking right up my alley. /Roleplaying

Sendou

I started on easy since that's what Obsidian recommended for me (no experience in RTwP type of RPG's). It really is too easy. Normal seems a pretty good compromise. It's still easy so far (just completed Act 1) but with a few harder parts. Just how I like it. Not how Obsidian designed it maybe but at least I'll finish the game this way.

I don't really get what you mean by that. That has nothing to do with roleplaying.

Everybody can always play the same role, mechanically. You probably have at least 2/3rds of your team playing the damage dealing role. Does that upset you?

You could also devote any member of your team toward inflicting status effects, or having great defenses to where they can stand in the front rows, or making them ranged. But that's all just mechanics. None of that has anything to do with roleplaying.

WanderingWind

My inherent ability to use lock picks has nothing to do with the fact that I can stab someone in the back or throw dirt in their eyes. As a very well read and intelligent wizard I find the finesse and fine skills of tumbler picking right up my alley. /Roleplaying

Yeah, I know. You can write anything to explain why a warrior is also capable of casting fireballs from the heavens. Like I said, this is a debate that has raged for as long as RPGs have existed, so it's not going to be put to rest here. I prefer one way, I accept that others prefer another way. PoE mostly caters my my tastes.

Zeliard

Well, if you decided to build a team of six Ciphers all of whom are lock-picking masters (wasteful as that'd be), I'd consider that role-playing!

(even though pistol cipher is clearly the best.)
Blunderbuss cipher. Eight ways to gain focus with every shot.

Just noticed a dev replied to the stat stacking bug:
Thanks for the feedback, saves, outputs, and all that stuff. I think we nailed down the steps and I've added the issue to the database and we will work towards a fix for an upcoming update. Until then avoid save loads on Companions home maps.

Keep up the good work citizens

Dresden

The +2 to mechanics means that rogues will always be the best lockpickers, anyways; the skill point investment needed to reach higher ranks is lessened by quite a lot due to it. As long as there are very-high-level locks to be picked, I like what they've set up so far. Like a barbarian can specialize in mechanics, but he's going to be down a dozen or more points to get to the same place that a rogue does.

Morzak

that's exactly where you need to go

Yeah I figured that but what worries me is that I didn't get
Never far from the Queen
Quest, it should be available before the end of the 1st act if I don't misunderstand it.
After finishing it I got credit for it and the following quest are in my Journal.... Really relieved to not have to start over or loose half of my progress so far.

Decided to go to Dyrwood first lets see how that goes :eek:.

Anoregon

Blunderbuss cipher. Eight ways to gain focus with every shot.
:

I actually have not even tried blunderbuss on a character yet, does it actually hit 8 times per shot for like 1/8th the damage of standard ranged weapon?

Top Bottom