• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Paches

I'm gonna try to get through Baldur's Gate series during the summer and I honestly just plan to read a TL;DR of BG1. I'm sure the story is good but I don't want to slog through the gameplay and delay myself from playing BG2.

This is a weird one that took me quite sometime to figure out.

Basically after I release the spirit I did not go back to Azo and kill him for his experiments. I just beelined it out of the building and back to the first floor and it seemed to work properly. If you get attacked by the evil little children and guards are dead then all is good. I don't know if that was the legit trigger for it and I had to reload several times but that's what fixed it for me. You progress this quest by talking to the statue dude and then going back to house w/e they're called and reporting to the old lady what just happened.

Yeah I just tried it again for the 3rd time and this time I didn't kill Azo and it worked. Weird.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Having trouble (possible bug?) with the quest "The Man Who Waits":

When I talk to the final patient and I go through the dialogue and do the cutscene where he activates the Constructs and unleashes the prisoners, after that fight, every thing is aggro'd on me on the first floor and the entire santarium hates me. Is there any way to avoid slaughtering the entire building? Am I missing something in the dialogue choices? Tried it a couple times and didnt see a way to not stop this. Maybe after the patient cutscene not be as hostile towards Caedman Azo? The quest log alludes to interacting with the patient after the big fight, but I cant do anything in his room, his corpse/body is just laying there.

That seems like a bug. My experience with that scene paralles what others were saying above.
The guards were dead and there were constructs and wicts, Azo was non-hostile and we had a chat. Everyone up-stairs was normal as well.

Really wish Ranger's didn't get hit with such a big debuff when their pet goes down. Makes Sagani less useful because I feel like her fox dies in like half the encounters I am in, playing on hard. Might swap her out for the Druid.

Really wish Ranger's didn't get hit with such a big debuff when their pet goes down. Makes Sagani less useful because I feel like her fox dies in like half the encounters I am in, playing on hard. Might swap her out for the Druid.

Yeah, the ranger debuff is a bit much, since some animal companions can go down really quick. It would be better if you could get Master's Call a bit earlier and it was a per encounter ability rather than a per rest.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
But Sagani may be the most interesting character in the game (so far, only 18 hours in). She and Aloth will never leave my party. Or Durance, because he's the only thing keeping me alive 9/10.

Don't hold back so much, tell us how you really feel.

I feel like a plastic bag, blowing in the wind.

But Sagani may be the most interesting character in the game (so far, only 18 hours in). She and Aloth will never leave my party. Or Durance, because he's the only thing keeping me alive 9/10.

Story-wise Eber appears to be the most simple, but the dialogue he is given and the performance from the VA is amazing, and make something huge out of a simple farmer/veteran.

jamsy

So I just got to the first town and am trying to do the Temple of Eothas quest. And I'm getting destroyed. Managed to get to the lower level but my 3 man party is getting smashed. I think I've used all of my camping supplies too...

Should I come back and do it later? Or hire someone? Thinking about turning it down to easy but don't even know if that will help (that skuldr king doesn't seem to take much damage)...

So I just got to the first town and am trying to do the Temple of Eothas quest. And I'm getting destroyed. Managed to get to the lower level but my 3 man party is getting smashed. I think I've used all of my camping supplies too...

Should I come back and do it later? Or hire someone? Thinking about turning it down to easy but don't even know if that will help (that skuldr king doesn't seem to take much damage)...

Hire a party member or two, and it will definitely make it manageable.

Story-wise Eber appears to be the most simple, but the dialogue he is given and the performance from the VA is amazing, and make something huge out of a simple farmer/veteran.

People have called him a yokel and a good ole boy and other stuff along those lines, but he really doesn't seem like a simple farmer. I mean, I know that's been his profession, sure, but he seems intelligent, and thoughtful, and kind of jaded/cynical at this point really.

He's not a "YEE HAW LET'S SHUCK THIS HERE CORN" kinda guy.

Nordicus

She and Aloth will never leave my party. Or Durance, because he's the only thing keeping me alive 9/10.
That level 2 regen circle priest spell is absolutely amazing. If you managed to keep your party on it, you're basically fighting using your entire health bar rather than just endurance

Come back later. You're not supposed to beat that dungeon as the first thing you do outside tutorial. Get a bigger&better party

People have called him a yokel and a good ole boy and other stuff along those lines, but he really doesn't seem like a simple farmer. I mean, I know that's been his profession, sure, but he seems intelligent, and thoughtful, and kind of jaded/cynical at this point really.

He's not a "YEE HAW LET'S SHUCK THIS HERE CORN" kinda guy.

You have some funny preconceptions about farmers.

jamsy

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll put it off a bit until I gain a few levels/get a couple more party members.

Question - do fallen party members gain experience at the end of a battle?

Lingitiz

I feel like a plastic bag, blowing in the wind.

Grieving Mother for me is the most compelling; or at least the most complex. I love all the companions so far really, except for maybe Kana Rua. His enthusiasm is fun but not sure how I feel about his VA.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
On a scale from 1 to baldurs gate 2 how good is this game?
Im considering starting today.

This is Baldur's Gate 3 in everything but name, with 2015 technology and without being held back by D&D mechanics/setting.

I probably can't quite put it at BG2 level just yet since it doesn't quite have the breadth of content, the impossible epicness, or the consistent insanity of the high level duels, but it's Obsidian's best game yet, clear GOTY choice for me, and it has unlimited potential in expansions and future titles to surpass anything in the genre. I feel like even something as early as the game's first expansion could easily top anything other than Planescape Torment.

It's a slam dunk by any standard, but for a small team crafting an original setting and a completely new and very complex set of game mechanics, it's beyond all expectations.

Are there actually spells that heal..... health? Pretty sure I have Durance in my party, and I can only seem to find spells that regenerate endurance.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Grieving Mother for me is the most compelling; or at least the most complex. I love all the companions so far really, except for maybe Kana Rua. His enthusiasm is fun but not sure how I feel about his VA.

She was the only party member I added to my main group just because I wanted to figure out her story. The writing when you first meet her is top notch.

KePoW

Banned
Are there actually spells that heal..... health? Pretty sure I have Durance in my party, and I can only seem to find spells that regenerate endurance.

i never thought about this, but is Durance a reference to Durante?

like how EviLore is also in the game??

Nohar

The game still needs a patch to remove the nastiest bugs though, and a bit of balancing seems to be in order, but the game does seem to be great. Once those issues are dealth with, it will deserve to be called GOTY.

Volodja

There's 2 Utility talents.
Field Triage cures health for a party member (1 use per rest).
Dressing Wounds I think that does it just for the caster (1 per rest too).

KePoW

Banned
The game still needs a patch to remove the nastiest bugs though, and a bit of balancing seems to be in order, but the game does seem to be great. Once those issues are dealth with, it will deserve to be called GOTY.

Agreed, once they fix the bugs with stats & numbers, I think the combat mechanics is better than BG2

Story-wise and epicness remains to be seen, because I'm not too far in yet. But part of what made BG2 GOAT is Throne of Bhaal, so you gotta give PoE at least one xpac to compare

I love his VA because he sounds exactly like a friend of mine who did theater in college and honestly should've been a voice actor.

Even looks like him, except my friend doesn't have pointy teeth.

Nordicus

You have some once-per-rest skills on level-up, one that heals roughly 100 HP on user, and one that heals 50 HP on any chosen party member

Not sure about spells. Likely not

People answered this question above but I wanted to add that this game only goes to level
and there very well could be spells in an expansion or other later content that heal actual health.

I mean Obsidian seems gunshy about healing health since that's what causes you to rest, so those triage talents are only 1 per rest...but spells are also limited per rest so I don't think it'd be an issue at higher levels. Especially since you're sacrificing a potentially awesome cast of something else to do so.

Is the "All upgrades in stronghold" achievement bugged for anyone else?

Someone else said that they didn't get it, yeah.

Lingitiz

Has anyone here actually finished the game yet? Curious to get a gauge of how far I am. I've done one of the 3 big missions in act 2.

Brojito

Neo Member

Yea, I finally got Grieving Mother and I'm already so intrigued just by her introduction. Just WEIRD and really out there, but really interesting to try and figure out.

Eder is cool, he definitely seems to be the "bro" character, but that's not a criticism at all - he's just a fun likeable character with a great VA. Doesn't hurt that the dude's a fucking tank too.

I wasn't really that into Durance at first, but after I had my first quest conversation with him, I liked him a lot more. I'm really digging the whole jilted priest who refers to his goddess as a "whore" and yet is still searching to find his purpose as her priest thing. Heard he was also penned by Avellone, is that true? He's definitely very Avellone-ish.

The only ones I haven't really gotten into so far is Hiravias (mainly because I don't really know what his whole deal is yet) and Kana, because my PC is already a chanter and he just isn't all that interesting yet.

talking about stronghold glitches. who else can't get their mercenaries to said that they were paid?

I'm pretty sure that what that's about is that your mercenaries get paid once every week. So when they haven't been paid yet for the week, they're listed as being unpaid. That's to show that you can dismiss them without losing out on a full week's wages.

Oh yeah, I'm also really happy with the Endless Paths of Od Nua.

I thought with their existence as a stretch goal, they would be kind of tacked on, just an extra big dungeon for you to go through for fun. But no, every floor has a lot of interesting things in it, sometimes characters to talk to, sometimes items that you need to leave the dungeon for to show to someone else, some interactivity across floors, and even a whole character who seems to exist just for the sake of making it his quest.

Heck it might be more dense and interesting than a lot of areas in the game.

Nohar

On a side note, from what I gathered while reading forums, the french translation of the game is a mess. That too needs to be adressed, on top of the bugs, for those who don't have the chance to be bilingual.

Lingitiz

Imagine Pillars of Eternity 2 now that they have so much of the tech and mechanics and world-building in place.

Just imagine it.

Between inExile and Obsidian, this engine is going to get a lot of miles over the next few years.

After the expac I'm sure PoE2 is coming. Then perhaps an Avellone led Kickstarter?

Burt

Has anyone here actually finished the game yet? Curious to get a gauge of how far I am. I've done one of the 3 big missions in act 2.

You have a while.

List of achievements that bugged out for me:

Completed Act 1 - Didn't even realize this game had acts until I got the Act 2 achievement.
Enchanter
Chef
Scribe
5 Upgrades in Stronghold
All Upgrades in Stronghold
Make an Adventurer

Can't comment on the last 3, but I doubt I completed them.

I'm pretty sure that what that's about is that your mercenaries get paid once every week. So when they haven't been paid yet for the week, they're listed as being unpaid. That's to show that you can dismiss them without losing out on a full week's wages.

I have a pair or people that still show that after the pay day. or is pay day individually set for each mercenary depending on when you hired them?

Oh yeah, I'm also really happy with the Endless Paths of Od Nua.

I thought with their existence as a stretch goal, they would be kind of tacked on, just an extra big dungeon for you to go through for fun. But no, every floor has a lot of interesting things in it, sometimes characters to talk to, sometimes items that you need to leave the dungeon for to show to someone else, some interactivity across floors, and even a whole character who seems to exist just for the sake of making it his quest.

Heck it might be more dense and interesting than a lot of areas in the game.

I'm a little disappointed in it to be honest. It's not bad or anything, just a lot easier than I expected. I was hoping for something like Durlag's Tower. The last encounter though is pretty damn tough, although I did eventually work out a decent, if not optimal, strategy for it.

Zeliard

Yea, I finally got Grieving Mother and I'm already so intrigued just by her introduction. Just WEIRD and really out there, but really interesting to try and figure out.

Eder is cool, he definitely seems to be the "bro" character, but that's not a criticism at all - he's just a fun likeable character with a great VA. Doesn't hurt that the dude's a fucking tank too.

I wasn't really that into Durance at first, but after I had my first quest conversation with him, I liked him a lot more. I'm really digging the whole jilted priest who refers to his goddess as a "whore" and yet is still searching to find his purpose as her priest thing. Heard he was also penned by Avellone, is that true? He's definitely very Avellone-ish.

Grieving Mother as well, at least their first iterations.

According to Avellone, she and Durance were reduced to about 1/4th of their original vision after reiterations.

Still, the Avellone influence with Durance was felt immediately. I haven't met Grieving Mother just yet, but the name is already interesting. ;)

Top Bottom