• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Altazor

Thanks, looks like I'll be getting both because before I read this I was thinking about how I didn't really want to skip levels. Being a total noob, whats the best way for me to purchase these two games? Can I grab them and on steam and Mod them? Or should I just get them on GoG?

Having never played a CRPG then realizing I have so much to catch up on is a pretty awesome feeling seeing how much I am enjoying PoE.

You can buy the Enhanced Editions (for both games) either on GOG or on Steam.

If you go for the original (not enhanced) versions, buy them on GOG.

Thanks, looks like I'll be getting both because before I read this I was thinking about how I didn't really want to skip levels. Being a total noob, whats the best way for me to purchase these two games? Can I grab them and on steam and Mod them? Or should I just get them on GoG?

Having never played a CRPG then realizing I have so much to catch up on is a pretty awesome feeling seeing how much I am enjoying PoE.

The cheaper option is to get the original versions off of GOG, but you'll definitely need to mod them. Playing BG1 with faster movement is necessary. The more expensive option is to get the enhanced editions off of Steam or GOG, which I'd recommend if you're not comfortable modding things. The Enhanced Editions run fine and have most of the changes that you're going to want with the games ready to go.

BG1's balance issues are beyond imagination. If you start as someone squishy you could find yourself dying to the first enemy in the game 10+ times before the attack rolls happen to randomly go your way. Archery will slaughter you instantly, and level 1 crowd control spells from a wizard can instawipe your entire party if you don't make your saving throws.

It also has serious issues with party members being bundled together as teams, and many of them having timed quests (that you don't know the time limit for) you have to complete or they suddenly go aggo on you and die to your party. It's also very generic fantasy setting and writing, and the exploration maps have huge huge swaths of empty space scattered with a few important encounters, so it can be tedious to clear them. Think like 4x the size of PoE exploration maps, but with similar amounts of content per map and no fast mode.

It was pretty awesome back in the day, though, because there was nothing like it so there was a real sense of exploration and wonder. Also it's still a really hardcore play experience, which has its virtues, but because so much randomness is involved you have to quicksave a lot. The BG1 Enhanced Edition I think ports the game to the BG2 engine, which improves the UI considerably and makes it support higher resolutions. That being said, it's by no means a must play, whereas BG2 is still one of the best RPGs ever, 15 years later.

Am I able to start and get through this game with a rogue character? High AC fighter/rogue is normally what I enjoy is normally my play style. If not I'll just be skipping to BG2 in order to play the character I want.

Durante

finally found Durance's use

use that put on bubble spell whenever someone's low on health. save up on camp equipment
Huh? He's probably the single most useful character in my party.

Though actually, almost all characters are really important to the party working as well as it does. BALANCE. Without Eder, enemies would just overrun me in seconds. Without Sagani, I couldn't initiate combat as accurately, and her pet help tank enemies together with Eder. Without my PC, groups would take forever to die. Durance is a mean buffing and healing machine. Kana buffs constantly and summons meat shields.

And then there's Pallegina... I guess she's aesthetically pleasing?

Kvik

If I may interject here, I suggest getting the original versions from GOG and modded using The Big World Project. This utterly massive mod basically combines both BG into one massive game where at the end of BG1 you will be taken straight into BG2 with your character stats intact. The UI used throughout will be based on BG2 with more modern adjustments such has widescreen mod, for example. If this interest you then I might suggest installing only the recommended package (or Tactics, if you're a glutton for Core Rules punishment). I daresay it's infinitely better than the Enhanced Editions.

On topic, I would love to see some tactics mod for Eternity, considering how much I love Sword Coast Stratagems for BG1/2

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What is the Confidential Cargo task? I finished up Act 2
I'm assuming with the whole Animancy Hearing with the Duc and when I traveled back to Brackenberry I got the little pop up quest notice that I failed that mission but it doesn't show up anywhere in my Journal. I do know I screwed up and finished the Dozens mission before I met with the head Doemel guy and couldn't start their quest because he said I was too close with them, but I doubt it's that. I didn't like how I responded in the hearing so I will redo that tonight, wouldn't mind taking up that quest if I can.

Salsa

Though actually, almost all characters are really important to the party working as well as it does. BALANCE. Without Eder, enemies would just overrun me in seconds. Without Sagani, I couldn't initiate combat as accurately, and her pet help tank enemies together with Eder. Without my PC, groups would take forever to die. Durance is a mean buffing and healing machine. Kana buffs constantly and summons meat shields.

he's getting better, i'll give you that

it's probably the character i've had to work the most as opposed to just using him as he comes

which hey, not saying I dont appreciate :p

also I don't trust your name bias

Violet_0

Banned
Kind of.

Cipher is kind of a Sneaky Mage. IMO, Rogue is best built as ranged. Chanter is pretty much a Bard on steroids.

is there any reason why a cypher should ever be in melee range? They are super squishy, they spend half their time casting spells which can easily be interrupted in melee and focus already recharges fast enough with a ranged weapon

Am I able to start and get through this game with a rogue character? High AC fighter/rogue is normally what I enjoy is normally my play style. If not I'll just be skipping to BG2 in order to play the character I want.

My first time playing through the Baldur's Gate games was a fighter/thief and it's definitely doable. Especially if you use a bow at first, which are pretty overpowered in BG1. The first couple of areas you go through can be a bit rough because you don't really have much of a party. But once you get a decent party going and some levels things even out.

Though actually, almost all characters are really important to the party working as well as it does. BALANCE. Without Eder, enemies would just overrun me in seconds. Without Sagani, I couldn't initiate combat as accurately, and her pet help tank enemies together with Eder. Without my PC, groups would take forever to die. Durance is a mean buffing and healing machine. Kana buffs constantly and summons meat shields. Never bothered with the bird-lady Paladin.

That's pretty much how party was. Eder was my only real tank and so he was very useful. I was the ranger. Durance and Kana were great buffs, and Grieving Mother was pure kickass.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
is there any reason why a cypher should ever be in melee range? They are super squishy, they spend half their time casting spells which can easily be interrupted in melee and focus already recharges fast enough with a ranged weapon

Yeah, sadly the way damage works in this game it seems like any of the traditional "light armor high damage melee" roles are just better off using ranged weapons.

Zeliard

If paladins are indeed worthless in a fight in PoE, at least as it stands, then Sawyer broke the cardinal rule in the Avellone book on character writing in games: make every party member useful in combat.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yeah, sadly the way damage works in this game it seems like any of the traditional "light armor high damage melee" roles are just better off using ranged weapons.

I would disagree. While most encounters my Rogue is fine to just sit back and use his Blunderbuss, but anything with good DR it's a must to go in close with my Dual Maces, especially since a lot of higher tier enemies seem to have really strong DR against pierce and or Slash. So getting that Crushing dmg is really helpful on top of the DR bypass they come with. Plus having built him to get tons of crits with really fast attacks my DPS is so much higher than just using a firearm.

Dresden

If paladins are indeed worthless in a fight in PoE, at least as it stands, then Sawyer broke the cardinal rule in the Avellone book on character writing in games: make every party member useful in combat.

They're still useful for their accuracy buff, and Flame is a twice-per-encounter burst of damage that should synergize nicely with a hard hitting weapon like an arbalest.

Being boring to play is their biggest sin, though. Shifting them to a mechanic similar to what ciphers have might help.

KePoW

Banned

I wouldn't call Paladins literally worthless, I think that's an exaggeration

It sounds like the players who say that mean they might not be the best min-max class choice. But that should not be the only reason to play a game, so I don't really relate with those who are only looking to min-max

Durante

They're still useful for their accuracy buff, and Flame is a twice-per-encounter burst of damage that should synergize nicely with a hard hitting weapon like an arbalest.

Being boring to play is their biggest sin, though. Shifting them to a mechanic similar to what ciphers have might help.
Yeah, I was exaggerating for effect. The passive aura buff is certainly nice, and the per-encounter revive I just got sounds like it could be very useful. And she's decent in melee too.

But really, if you told me I had to fight with a party of 5 my choice would be very clear.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

It sounds like the players who say that mean they might not be the best min-max class choice. But that should not be the only reason to play a game, so I don't really relate with those who are only looking to min-max

If you aint first you'er last. A scrub in marvel and a scrub in pillars I see. Kepow plz.

Violet_0

Banned
most of the non-magic classes are a bit boring to play. My barbarian is also mechanically simple but "casts" a aoe spell with every autoattack to make up for it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Might the problem be that making a good tank pretty much requires you to forgo Might, which is the only damage stat and unlike D&D, there are feats that can be used to either buff damage with another stat a la Divine Might or that allows you to switch the attack stat like Weapon Finesse or Intuitive Attack? Because without the large amount of CC Fighter have or the invocations of Chanters (which sort of have the same problem because chants take too long and all invocations require 3) Paladins are just passive as all shit and just seem to bring less to the table.

Annubis

Yeah.
The big problem with paladins is that they don't have a dump stat and need good everything.

DTKT

All that Paladin bashing makes me sad. Besides Diablo 2, I can't remember a game that made them good.

I just can't resist the knight in shining armor trope.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I mean, paladins aren't useless by any means, they're just really far from ever feeling indispensable.

I have Pallegina as my off-tank with a big flaming two-hander and she's still durable even without a shield and has okay damage output, and with talent points put into her aura she helps out with things reasonably. Her abilities are just boring, yes: a moderately useful passive aura of your choice, a moderate once-per-encounter heal that is rarely used on anyone other than herself as a last resort, the two per encounter flaming sword attack thing which is okay but not as useful as any of a fighter's crowd control actives, and a per encounter revive which sounds useful but I haven't actually used once (considering Eder has Second Chance, and the off-tank running to the back line to revive someone would collapse the defenses and cause more harm than good).

Someone like Durance is absolutely indispensable; Pallegina is just there to keep the guy to girl ratios from getting too NeoGAF. Part of it is that melee dps just doesn't really make much sense in the game as it is currently balanced. You're in melee just to keep the squishies from dying, because wearing plate reduces your offensive potential a ton, but you straight up will not last very long in melee against the hordes without heavy armor and usually a shield, even if your defensive attributes are high.

KePoW

Banned
If you aint first you'er last. A scrub in marvel and a scrub in pillars I see. Kepow plz.

hahahha

come back for cosmic Midtown broski, then we'll see who's a scrub!!

All that Paladin bashing makes me sad. Besides Diablo 2, I can't remember a game that made them good.

Paladins have been pretty good in WoW for certain periods of time

Ala Alba

I mean, paladins aren't useless by any means, they're just really far from ever feeling indispensable.

I have Pallegina as my off-tank with a big flaming two-hander and she's still durable even without a shield and has okay damage output, and with talent points put into her aura she helps out with things reasonably. Her abilities are just boring, yes: a moderately useful passive aura of your choice, a moderate once-per-encounter heal that is rarely used on anyone other than herself as a last resort, the two per encounter flaming sword attack thing which is okay but not as useful as any of a fighter's crowd control actives, and a per encounter revive which sounds useful but I haven't actually used once (considering Eder has Second Chance, and the off-tank running to the back line to revive someone would collapse the defenses and cause more harm than good).

The range is pretty good on the revive, I think. Plus, even after half the restored endurance goes away, you're still left with pretty much a full heal (I think it was something like 300 endurance recovered initially, which drops by half after a while).

Brojito

Neo Member
Quick question: does Pillars have a hard ending, as in no playing after main quest completion? Or are you free to roam around after beating the game and finish up quests?

Altazor

Someone like Durance is absolutely indispensable; Pallegina is just there to keep the guy to girl ratios from getting too NeoGAF. Part of it is that melee dps just doesn't really make much sense in the game as it is currently balanced. You're in melee just to keep the squishies from dying, because wearing plate reduces your offensive potential a ton, but you straight up will not last very long in melee against the hordes without heavy armor and usually a shield, even if your defensive attributes are high.

yeah, that's it. My PC Paladin is just like... um... co-tank with Edér, actually. That's probably my main function. Eder and my PC upfront, Durance just behind, then Kana and then Aloth. I still have 5 in my party, don't hate me. It's not that I want to have a 5-member party, it's just that I haven't found the others yet :D

So, anyway, my PC isn't as good as tanking as Edér, doesn't have AoE healing like Durance (except maybe the enhanced Flames of Devotion that heals the closest ally or something like that), can't summon nor buff as good as Kana and doesn't have any spells like Aloth so... it's just there. Helping Edér bringing down foes. That's just it.

Salsa

I do love setting up shit beforehand and Durance's repulsing seal is great

that coupled with knock down and others means all my encounters start with everyone on prone basically

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The range is pretty good on the revive, I think. Plus, even after half the restored endurance goes away, you're still left with pretty much a full heal (I think it was something like 300 endurance recovered initially, which drops by half after a while).

I guess that's pretty good and differentiates the ability from the priest revive which iirc only brings the person to barely alive, at least the spell level 5 version. If Lay on Hands were stronger without having to put a talent point in then the class would feel a little better overall, probably, like staying on the front lines and here and there making big moves with strong per-encounter abilities. I feel like LoH should probably full heal since direct single target healing isn't a very strong mechanic as it is, and maybe with talent points it could add a temporary DR or deflection bonus to the target as well.

Chaos17

Same, I kust want to play my crusader from Diablo 3 in Pillars of Eternity xD

yeah, that's it. My PC Paladin is just like... um... co-tank with Edér, actually. That's probably my main function. Eder and my PC upfront, Durance just behind, then Kana and then Aloth. I still have 5 in my party, don't hate me. It's not that I want to have a 5-member party, it's just that I haven't found the others yet :D

So, anyway, my PC isn't as good as tanking as Edér, doesn't have AoE healing like Durance (except maybe the enhanced Flames of Devotion that heals the closest ally or something like that), can't summon nor buff as good as Kana and doesn't have any spells like Aloth so... it's just there. Helping Edér bringing down foes. That's just it.
That's sound so sad :(

goblin

A question to all further into the game: when can you go to Twin Elms?

Act 3.

Well. Baldur's Gate 2 has both the Cavalier and Inquisitor Paladin kits which are great. Get Carsomyr or The Purifier and go to town.

In Pillars, I used Pallegina throughout the game as my off-tank and beat the game, so that's good enough for me. She's effective: she's wearing heavy armor, has decent saves from Paladin passives, carries two-handed weapons that do an okay amount of damage (way more than Eder), can haste my party and her aura's always active. It's more interesting than having a second Fighter off-tank, at least. The big problem is that I don't need to do very much except position her then leave her alone for the entire fight. Most of the time I don't even use her per-encounter attack because it's not necessary.

To be fair, my Fighter and Rogue are about as limited as she is, ability-wise. The difference is that my Fighter is invincible and my Rogue does tons of damage.

Burt

Sick burn

duranceface.png

Melee is definitely there mostly to cover the squishies, but the problem with the paladin is that other tank classes have a job beyond that that they excel at, and the paladin just doesn't. Their auras aren't strong and are easily replaceable with buffs or a chanter, so the per encounter revive is the closest thing to making it stand out. It's a very situational skill though, existing almost solely for when your priest goes down. Barbarians do more damage to more people, fighters have awesome per encounter CC, and a priest specced melee does everything a paladin does, just better.

No reason not to use them if you like them, but there aren't many reasons if you don't. Pallegina's a great character though, highly recommend having her in your party when you get to Twin Elms.

Ozium

Well, technically, the oil does pour in from the sky.

yep.

slicken is the best spell ever.

not sure if I should continue with my game (curently at the end of act 1) or if I should wait for a patch.. no idea if my characters are botched or not, haven't had time to check since hearing the news :/

robin2

yeah, that's it. My PC Paladin is just like... um... co-tank [...].
Yeah, paladin could benefit of a little reworking. As a tank he is quite passive and the few active abilities he has aren't that hot frankly.
Thankfully the way the attributes system is, I could make a 'backrow' dps paladin, which is funnier to use, since he's frail and he needs much more managing for the synergy with the tank to work; I just hope there's not too few abilities or feats to sustain him in that role.

But maybe I'm just biased: we "paladins at heart" always secretly wish for the paladin to be the strongest and coolest of the bunch.

If Lay on Hands were stronger without having to put a talent point in then the class would feel a little better overall, probably, like staying on the front lines and here and there making big moves with strong per-encounter abilities. I feel like LoH should probably full heal since direct single target healing isn't a very strong mechanic as it is, and maybe with talent points it could add a temporary DR or deflection bonus to the target as well.
Yeah, maybe giving LoH by default, limiting the heal only to yourself. If then you spend a point: it gets stronger (or maybe better, you can use it twice), you are enabled to use it on others, and it gives some extra bonuses. Or something like that.

If I may interject here, I suggest getting the original versions from GOG and modded using The Big World Project. This utterly massive mod basically combines both BG into one massive game where at the end of BG1 you will be taken straight into BG2 with your character stats intact. The UI used throughout will be based on BG2 with more modern adjustments such has widescreen mod, for example. If this interest you then I might suggest installing only the recommended package (or Tactics, if you're a glutton for Core Rules punishment). I daresay it's infinitely better than the Enhanced Editions.

On topic, I would love to see some tactics mod for Eternity, considering how much I love Sword Coast Stratagems for BG1/2

Oh man, I'm about to lose the rest of my day setting this up...haha

Blizzard

Banned
You can walk out of the tutorial with 3k gold. Either way it just kinda accumulates as you adventure, and there's nothing to buy early on.
I'm very interested in this. I didn't manage to get more than maybe 1000 gold after the tutorial I think. How did you do it?

I sold the Disappointer and whatever other junk I picked up in the tutorial, and Gilded Vale has some 3500+ gold weapon right off the bat I think? But I didn't think I had anywhere near 3000 gold after doing the wolves, bridge, and 2 bandit fights before Gilded Vale.

*edit* This is what I get for replying while catching up on the thread, sorry.

Nah, just sell the junk you have and acquire there to Heodan before triggering the attack. Gaun's Pledge and the unique pistol you loot there are like 2.5k total, and there's the potion in the locked box that goes for like 250, and some armor and stuff. He pays full price for everything, a terrible trader.

I refuse to sell Gaun's Pledge because I don't want preorder loot to taint my progress. It's been sitting in my stash since minute one.

-_-
Ah yeah, I refuse to sell or use Gaun's Pledge since that feels like cheating on triple crown solo.

Why don't you just disable the DLC in Steam?
I didn't even know this was possible, thanks.

Salsa

just got the stronghold on my slow pace playthrough

think i'll just ignore it for now, or is there any tips on something I should do with it as soon as available?

just got the stronghold on my slow pace playthrough

think i'll just ignore it for now, or is there any tips on something I should do with it as soon as available?

Get the merchant stalls, so you can buy camping equipment. Dungeons are nice, since you can put some enemies in it, because why not.

So I gave Grieving Mother a blunderbuss and now I suddenly know what true power is like.

Unless I'm mistaken, ciphers gain focus for every hit... and Blunderbusses fire six projectiles. It's truly a match made in heaven.

Top Bottom