• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Hey lemme ask you guys. I've done the following stuff.

Gilded Vales Sidequests (all of em)
Raedrics Hold
Got the Stronghold
and the surrounding wilderness areas

I only took a quick pitstop in
Defiance Bay
and
Dyrwood Village
to grab the companions.

But I look at the map, is like...50/60% of the game in the two major cities? I saw a "completed" map on the Pillars Wiki are there were barely any new spots. I'm curious because I'm only 15 hours in and the map looks nearly filled out.

See you in 30 hours.

Violet_0

Banned
But I look at the map, is like...50/60% of the game in the two major cities? I saw a "completed" map on the Pillars Wiki are there were barely any new spots. I'm curious because I'm only 15 hours in and the map looks nearly filled out.

the game starts out as BG1 with lots of random wilderness areas and gradually becomes BG2. I prefer the later half, actually

Blizzard

Banned
Am I missing something here? A lot of times when I click on a portrait to try and switch between characters in battle, it just trains my previously selected character on the new character. Um no, that's not what I want to do obviously. Not only does it not select the new character, but it interrupts what I ordered my previous character to do.
It might have registered you clicking someone else as preparing to target an attack/ability, and waiting on you to select a target. I think I usually click the unit circles so maybe that's why I haven't seen it.

Any tips for a Monk? Been reading up on the game and I'm going to play my first ever brawler in an RPG.
I've heard dexterity is useful so you have a chance to use your wounds before dying.

Beloved

Hey lemme ask you guys. I've done the following stuff.

Gilded Vales Sidequests (all of em)
Raedrics Hold
Got the Stronghold
and the surrounding wilderness areas

I only took a quick pitstop in
Defiance Bay
and
Dyrwood Village
to grab the companions.

I've done basically exactly what you've done except I'm spending more time in
Defiance Bay
but I just got there today. You can't really consider it a singular part of the map though considering it consists of multiple areas and there is a lot of content to get through in basically each part of it.

As far as your other post, I'm about 20 hours in, so I'd say you are rushing it just a bit.

Ayumi

Gosh, I downloaded the game yesterday and when I came to the char selection screen I was kinda shocked by all the options. lol

Time to do some heavy research before proceeding!

I've done basically exactly what you've done except I'm spending more time in
Defiance Bay
but I just got there today. You can't really consider it a singular part of the map though considering it consists of multiple areas and there is a lot of content to get through in basically each part of it.

As far as your other post, I'm about 20 hours in, so I'd say you are rushing it just a bit.

I bet several hours of that was because
1. This is a restart (I already knew how to beat the tutorial and temple of Eothas) and
2. I managed to skip 95% of
Raedrics Hold
by finding a shortcut to the boss.

Xiraiya

I bet several hours of that was because
1. This is a restart (I already knew how to beat the tutorial and temple of Eothas) and
2. I managed to skip 95% of
Raedrics Hold
by finding a shortcut to the boss.

I'm not all that far into the game myself but my first impressions immediately was that the Map didn't look like it was ever going to have very many locations overall, but I figured areas would individually take a lot of time to explore and flesh out and basically be filled with content that adds up to the 60-70 hour completion times people seem to get.

Burt

Bought a wizard companion, taught him some of Aloth's spells, couldn't assign any first level spells to his grimoire after he learned them. Second level spells click in and out fine, but the first level ones just won't assign into the grimoire. Known issue?

Beloved

Voice acting seems rough, though probably best not to judge it on the starting NPC's

It's better than Skyrim, so at least there's that.

In all seriousness though some VA's are just alright but there are also some good ones in the mix as well.

Dsyndrome

Biggest issue I have is clicking on someone's weapon and then clicking on an enemy to attack, causing my people to run screaming at a shade with their bare fists and making them fodder for the onslaught. Need to really break the weapon-clicking mentality, sucks because it's not a bug but my ingrained mechanics.

Blizzard

Banned
Biggest issue I have is clicking on someone's weapon and then clicking on an enemy to attack, causing my people to run screaming at a shade with their bare fists and making them fodder for the onslaught. Need to really break the weapon-clicking mentality, sucks because it's not a bug but my ingrained mechanics.
Clicking the weapon icon in the lower left will switch between weapon sets, which may not be obvious.

If you want to attack with your current weapon, you might be able to use the attack icon in the bottom middle, or hover over the weapon icon in the lower left and then pick the current weapon slot, or just left click your character and then the enemy.

Zornack

Having issues and need to reinstall. If I copy my saved games from C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity I'll be good, right? There's nothing else I need to copy? Purchased from GoG.

Uthred

Godlike can't wear helmets on account of the weird shit going on with their head. Helmets are purely visual from what I've seen anyway.

Godlikes cant wear helmets. It actually tells you that in the beginning during character creation.

Should have been clearer, when I said issue I meant as in did it make a big difference mechanically, not "Was it a bug?", thanks for the clarification on the function of helmets

Blizzard

Banned
This doesn't sound very reassuring...

I'm taking a guess I'm just going to die a lot.
I haven't played one, but monks charge something called "wounds" by getting hurt. So you have to take damage, and then be able to use your abilities without taking TOO MUCH damage.

Should have been clearer, when I said issue I meant as in did it make a big difference mechanically, not "Was it a bug?", thanks for the clarification on the function of helmets
I think there are a couple of hats that give stat bonuses like +1 might, but hopefully nothing too major. Most are cosmetic.

Also I kind of wish voice acting lines played less during battle.
*pant pant* MY BLOOD BURNS

Yeah lady I know.

Cerity

my original post would have helped you then lol.

I think there's only one point in the game where not being able to equip a helmet could cause you an issue (
Temple of Woedica
) but the game gives you a dialogue option before it really becomes one anyway.

Outside of that, they're mostly cosmetic.

Miletius

This doesn't sound very reassuring...

I'm taking a guess I'm just going to die a lot.

Monks are a ton of fun, and get a lot of really fun abilities. Supposedly you can build one as either a tank and go full defensive of you can go dps. If you go dps, the idea is to be more of an off-tank, you let your real tank engage and then you go in an engage one guy and get his attention. Then you jump in and do a ton of damage, especially if you get wounded.

If you go full tank, then you kind of are the same, except you wear heavy armor and just kind of deal with doing low damage.

I really like the ability that kicks your target across the room and stuns everything in it's way. 2 Wounds to use.

Uriah

What should my wizard be doing when he runs out of spells? And when do spells become per encounter instead of per rest?

Vaporak

Damn, run into a pretty major bug in the main quest line. I'm doing The Man Who Waits in Brackenbury and the quest is totally bugged.
I started it and got permission from the statue to question the animancers, but none of them have any dialog related to the quest. Then I went back to the statue, and he has new dialog as if I have done a bunch of shit in the quest that hasn't happened. Doing that dialog doesn't progress the quest at all though, and makes the statue uninteractable.
If anyone has any tips, or some kind of console magic to let me complete the quest it would be nice to know. I hope this doesn't totally stop my play through.

KarmaCow

Also I kind of wish voice acting lines played less during battle.

Yeah lady I know.

The worst is when the line can't even finish before looping, like when Eder gets poisoned. :/

What should my wizard be doing when he runs out of spells? And when do spells become per encounter instead of per rest?

When you run out of spells, it's either autoattacks or scrolls (only for emergencies, I'd say). And remember: pace your spell use unless you know you'll be resting afterwards, in which case go wild.

For Wizards, spells become per-encounter really late in the game. At level 9 I have yet to see 'em.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Welp, It's
Adra Dragon
time. So far not so good lol.

Edit: Wow, so, it bugged and stayed stunned for pretty much a full minute, and I still didn't kill it. Yikes.

Burt

Damn, still can't assign level 1 spells to my recruited character for some reason, but I also noticed that they nerfed Spirit Shield from +10 DR to +3. I hardly knew thee, +10 DR for 60 seconds level 1 spell. Your secret OPness will die undiscovered.

Top Bottom