• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Blizzard

Banned
Also correcting what I posted earlier, solo XP does seem slightly boosted compared to before the patch and hotfix, but only for certain quests/areas. I still haven't hit level 4 expert solo potd yet, but I'm gradually learning from people who are actually good at this so I may eventually learn their crazy tactics.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it bad that despite spending 60 hours playing through this over the past week that I'm really really tempted to do it again but Icewind Dale style with a full custom party?

Almighty

So quick question if I enable cheats are the achievements disabled for that character unless I load an earlier save or until I restart the game?

Sober

I don't fully agree since I think even low-level Wizard spells are often really useful (I mean, e.g. Slicken is still a good spell after the nerf, never mind its original state!). However, it's true that despite them trying to get away from that type of design it still feels like WIzards have a power curve rather than the more linear growth of other classes.

I can't say that I mind this much though -- I actually prefer it!
If you get the proper rings and talents, right now I have 10 level 1, 7 level 2, 10 level 3 casts on Aloth. A few level 1 spells are still good, although minor MM is kinda meh. Thrust still does decent damage even when it's per encounter, slick is still good, chill fog lasts a long time and all that.

I kinda wish maybe wizard spells should scale even better with INT for duration/aoe, but otherwise I'm still happy with them. Just bring a few other grimoires to cover other spells. Per encounter level 1/2 spells don't seem like a lot but they can be if you do stuff like get the elemental damage talents. Hiraviras with 2 fire damage talents casting sunbeam (small aoe fire damage + blind level 1 spell) for example does pretty respectable damage.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
On that note, I kind of wish elemental damage was balanced a little better- someone on another forum counted how many enemies were weak to certain elements, and in both number of types weak to it and number of enemies
Burn I don't know why I'm spoiling this but maybe someone cares
came out waaay ahead of anything else but Raw.

Ala Alba

The change to Ranger's pet loss debuff is pretty crazy.

Only -2 might, -2 resolve. Go ahead and sacrifice your pets to stall enemies!

Burt

Could've used that when the Od Nua final boss murderized my bear so hard that Bonded Grief stay with me for like 10 hours afterwards even after the pet came back to life.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
On that note, I kind of wish elemental damage was balanced a little better- someone on another forum counted how many enemies were weak to certain elements, and in both number of types weak to it and number of enemies

Perhaps in numbers of monstrous enemies but if you are to consider Kith into the equation im surprised that
Corrode
probably comes out ahead. Besides, there seems to be enough materials to make sets of weapons specific to different enemies you face.

Xiraiya

Wasn't Pillars getting Anti-Aliasing settings we could view and change? there is a Graphics setting slider that I don't think was there before, setting it to full didn't seem to do anything.

Turning off NVIDIA FXAA just makes the game look clearer again but characters still look like a jagged mess.

They've backed away so hard from the Ranger concept that I dunno why they're even bothering now. IIRC it was initially a shared health/endurance pool, to a big debuff when the pet's lost, to... unequipping the pet.

Blizzard

Banned
One of the most annoying things about experimenting with some fights is when there's a conversation of like 12 pages you have to sit through before you can fight.

It's not like you can just spam enter or '1' either, since the
conversation with Maerwald
requires multiple numbers.

Xiraiya

They've backed away so hard from the Ranger concept that I dunno why they're even bothering now. IIRC it was initially a shared health/endurance pool, to a big debuff when the pet's lost, to... unequipping the pet.

What they should do is set up the animal companions to have the attributes they have in the wild, then they become a whole lot more useful by default.

The animals have the same base attributes of 10 across the board for some reason (Yet the NPC Ranger companion's animal has stats basically like an enemy Wolf)

A regular Wolf's attributes look like this.
Mig 11
Con 14
Dex 16
Per 15
Int 9
Res 10

Ranger's Wolf attributes
Mig 10
Con 10
Dex 10
Per 10
Int 10
Res 10

Almighty

Well I beat the game. Though I out of frustration I cheated at the end to do it. The game was pretty much everything I was hoping for when I backed it all those years ago.

What they should do is set up the animal companions to have the attributes they have in the wild, then they become a whole lot more useful by default.

The animals have the same base attributes of 10 across the board for some reason (Yet the NPC Ranger companion's animal has stats basically like an enemy Wolf)

A regular Wolf's attributes look like this.
Mig 11
Con 14
Dex 16
Per 15
Int 9
Res 10

Ranger's Wolf attributes
Mig 10
Con 10
Dex 10
Per 10
Int 10
Res 10
Well, their stats do increase as the ranger gains levels. But aside from that, the ranger's companion aspect of the game feels really half-baked. No hot-key to select them, and they exist solely to engage one enemy and then die because their defenses are garbage. But the drawback of losing them is so slight that it doesn't even matter...

Really weird. I wonder how much Obsidian struggled with them, because it seems like a lot to me.

Xiraiya

The whole ranger's companion aspect of the game feels really half-baked. No hot-key to select them, and they exist solely to engage one enemy and then die because their defenses are garbage. But the drawback of losing them is so slight that it doesn't even matter...
Really weird. I wonder how much Obsidian struggled with them, because it seems like a lot to me.

It's strange, but I don't see the harm in them making the Ranger pets statistically Identical to their wild counter parts, there's no real reason why they can't, then the Ranger finally becomes a force to be reckoned with, and then make them nearly useless when their animal dies.

EDIT: Oh I see.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps in numbers of monstrous enemies but if you are to consider Kith into the equation im surprised that
Corrode
probably comes out ahead. Besides, there seems to be enough materials to make sets of weapons specific to different enemies you face.

Even counting that though there's a few elements that lack a lot of coverage. It's not a big deal but it be nice in an expansion if there were more things that resisted it (especially as you can't swap out talents).

Question about the finale of the Endless Paths:

So I went back down there to test something out on an old save, and noticed afterwards Kana had a little dialogue box- clicked on it and... he had nothing new to talk about. What's he supposed to say there?

Varna

Wasn't Pillars getting Anti-Aliasing settings we could view and change? there is a Graphics setting slider that I don't think was there before, setting it to full didn't seem to do anything.

Turning off NVIDIA FXAA just makes the game look clearer again but characters still look like a jagged mess.

Been saying this since day 1. Doesn't matter of the AA is set to 2 or 16... nothing happens.

Dresden

Can you link to the thread? Kinda curious to see how the numbers shaped up for all the other elements.

Almighty

Oh i forgot to mention I found the companions to be just awesome. Some of them really blew me away just how much I liked them and it really puts to shame a lot of companions in other games.

Anyway I guess it is time to go check out Bloodborne and give Obsidian time to hopefully fix my issue before i do another playthrough.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Corrode

Just like in NWN2!

Xiraiya

My posts are only finalized five minutes after going live. I give GAF Early Access to my thoughts.

So after testing it out, the Animal companion doesn't really get stronger.
It's attributes stay at 10 all the way to level 12 and the only growth it has is in the default Health and endurance per level everything gains.

Yes you technically make them stronger in some ways through talents, but that doesn't change the fact I feel like that's completely pointless if they don't give the animals the stats they're suppose to have to begin with and THEN build on top of that.

Then the companions would be really good and actually sometimes devastating at later levels.

Kimaka

One of the most annoying things about experimenting with some fights is when there's a conversation of like 12 pages you have to sit through before you can fight.

It's not like you can just spam enter or '1' either, since the
conversation with Maerwald
requires multiple numbers.

You can save right before the battle starts.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Damn you Obsidian. This is what you've made me do.

KWjXoLB.png

Kimaka

I'll try that, thanks. I thought it instantly happened as soon as the conversation ended, unless there's a trick to spamming escape first.

I might have checked something in options, but after the conversation ends, it auto-pauses and then I'm allowed to save.

Cerity

oh man, was completely unprepared for
the two drakes
at searing falls.

Traveled there from black meadow so my entire party was tired, figured following the path wouldn't hurt but there they were.

Ala Alba

How annoying. With the Disappointer value nerf, I can only get 2241 cp strait out of the opening. In order to get enough cp to hire a full custom team I'll have to find some low xp loot areas.

So after testing it out, the Animal companion doesn't really get stronger.
It's attributes stay at 10 all the way to level 12 and the only growth it has is in the default Health and endurance per level everything gains.

Yes you technically make them stronger in some ways through talents, but that doesn't change the fact I feel like that's completely pointless if they don't give the animals the stats they're suppose to have to begin with and THEN build on top of that.

Then the companions would be really good and actually sometimes devastating at later levels.

Weird that the wolf companion didn't get its stats fixed when Sagani's fox(wolf) did. It's only the wolf that has straight 10s, though. Plus, the companion does get bonuses to damage, accuracy, and DR just through leveling (no talents needed).

Reached the bottom of Od Nua.
This ... is going to take some thought.

I flipped to my B-team for the end of Act 2. It was fun figuring out new tactics to take advantage of wildly different skill sets. I am glad Eternity makes it easy to bring benched party members up to speed. I also think it's a good sign that people have called so many different classes "invaluable." About the only ones I haven't heard people raving about are barbs, monks, and paladins.

Hey guys, I got a couple companions that I'm having trouble using, and I'm looking for some tips. The Cipher and the Druid. What sort of gear should I be using, how should I be using the shifting ability, melee or ranged, what spells are worthwhile and which ones should I avoid? They're getting wrecked left and right.

i love my Barbarian. That feeling when you do an auto-attack and each swing hits like 10 guys for 20+ damage each is amazing.

Cool! I'll have to take one for a test drive.

Hey guys, I got a couple companions that I'm having trouble using, and I'm looking for some tips. The Cipher and the Druid. What sort of gear should I be using, how should I be using the shifting ability, melee or ranged, what spells are worthwhile and which ones should I avoid? They're getting wrecked left and right.

For cipher, blunderbuss is pretty damned good because it (1) keeps her at range and (2) builds up a lot of focus with each shot. Put her in some light armor to keep her recovery time down.

I'm still figuring out how best to deploy Hiravias. Right now he's in medium armor and dual-wielding, but that's because I thought it fit his personality - not because it's especially effective.

JC Sera

Ok so I was looking for that special blundebuss in Act 2 and I messed up the quest option and got the
Piglet
instead. At first I decided to go back to an old save but I lost WAY to much progress. Instead I
went back to the farmer and murdered him. Lo' and behold he had it on his corpse!

I'm at the end of the quest with
Aelys, and I want to kill the animancer but he wrecks me constantly. I can kill him usually but then he casts some kind of explosion that wipes most my team.
Any tips? Thanks!
I got the blunderbuss after giving him 500cp for his troubles

I just couldn't beat the Adra Dragon, so I decided to follow the peaceful solution. Meh.

I've done all quests except Durance's. I just don't know what else to do,
I am at the point where I have to convince him Magran betrayed all of the people of the Dyrwood by helping them create the Godhammer? Something like that. He's not up for a chat though

Apart from that all other quests and bounties are done. My party is all level 12, I've saved at the Twin Elms inn where tomorrow I'll take stock of my equipment and finalize everyone's weapons and armor, and then I'll go and jump in the hole.

hemtae

I use a blunderbuss and light armor for the Cipher. Blunderbuss for focus building and light armor to get off the mind waves as quick as possible.

For the Druid, I use light armor and whatever weapon. Light armor only because I'm not sure if the DR stays during the shapeshift and when things start going bad, I fire off as many AoE as I can. Otherwise, I shapeshift send him to the front line to engage something then have my rogue kill the weakened stuff after mind wave tears through them.

It's been going pretty well for me on hard.

Xiraiya

Hmm...my chanter voice is suddenly a female one when getting into combat instead of male.
That's strange, maybe he decided on a change of lifestyle?

But in all seriousness it makes me wonder, since the lockpicking bug was apparently some voice related issue for created companion characters.
Did the voice change after the update? Or just randomly out of no where while playing?

Top Bottom