• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Switch to pistol.

My Wizard uses the Talents Blast and Penetrating Blast. Blast makes it so that implements (rods/wands/scepters) do Foe AoE damage. Penetrating Blast bypasses 5 DR. i use my rod to hit clusters and switch to pistol to focus fire with my other ranged high priority targets. Lots of options with Wizard to conserve spells.

Sober

My Wizard uses the Talents Blast and Penetrating Blast. Blast makes it so that implements (rods/wands/scepters) do Foe AoE damage. Penetrating Blast bypasses 5 DR. i use my rod to hit clusters and switch to pistol to focus fire with my other ranged high priority targets. Lots of options with Wizard to conserve spells.
Blast is really underwhelming IMO, considering you have to use a implement. Also it's kinda worthless because from how I read it the aoe splash gets the DR reduction, not the attack itself. So if that's a correct reading they are a pretty poor single target DPS perk.

Just go into fights packing firearms.

JC Sera

Blast is really underwhelming IMO, considering you have to use a implement. Also it's kinda worthless because from how I read it the aoe splash gets the DR reduction, not the attack itself. So if that's a correct reading they are a pretty poor single target DPS perk.

Just go into fights packing firearms.
There are around 5 really good named items that make it worth it

Anyone else running pillars on a 4k monitor? Backgrounds, especially outdoor areas, seem grainy on my screen and I'm not sure if it's my monitor or the game.

Yo! I wanted to pick this up, but what is up with the "upgrades" to the various Editions of the game?

Is this some lame ass nickle and dime BS? If so, I don't want to support the game.

Can someone please explain what this entails?

There is a Hero, Champion, Royal Edition. What is all this crap?

Yo! I wanted to pick this up, but what is up with the "upgrades" to the various Editions of the game?

Is this some lame ass nickle and dime BS? If so, I don't want to support the game.

Can someone please explain what this entails?

There is a Hero, Champion, Royal Edition. What is all this crap?

They made a whole bunch of stuff as incentives for the kickstarter, like novellas, making of videos, lore books, strategy guides, etc. The champion & royal editions include some of that stuff, the hero edition is just the game. None of the stuff affects the game itself I don't think, its all extras outside the game.

edit: http://buy.pillarsofeternity.com/ if you scroll down to the bottom of this page, it lists everything that champion & royal adds.

epmode

I'll add that if you wind up enjoying the base version of the game, those extras are honestly great and the Royal Edition might even be worth the premium.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone else running pillars on a 4k monitor? Backgrounds, especially outdoor areas, seem grainy on my screen and I'm not sure if it's my monitor or the game.
The backgrounds aren't very high resolution if you zoom in, so that might be what you're seeing. If you upload a screenshot we can let you know if it looks weird.

I'm kind of surprised how little information there still is on this game when I try to google things like Rymrgand's Mantle. There isn't a wiki page, Google has no forum hits, and nothing has location. Maybe there's a lot of information and Google is just blocked from it all. Does anyone know where Rymrgand's Mantle can be found? I suspect
it's an RNG item in the second floor of The Black Hound inn, unfortunately, and it requires 25 minutes of playing the tutorial before you can tell if a run actually has that item available.

Dresden

The backgrounds aren't very high resolution if you zoom in, so that might be what you're seeing. If you upload a screenshot we can let you know if it looks weird.

I'm kind of surprised how little information there still is on this game when I try to google things like Rymrgand's Mantle. There isn't a wiki page, Google has no forum hits, and nothing has location. Maybe there's a lot of information and Google is just blocked from it all. Does anyone know where Rymrgand's Mantle can be found? I suspect
it's an RNG item in the second floor of The Black Hound inn, unfortunately, and it requires 25 minutes of playing the tutorial before you can tell if a run actually has that item available.

It's RNG, yeah. I also found one in the temple, but that was pre-patch.

The wiki is just so bare and outdated. Completely useless.

Blizzard

Banned
It's RNG, yeah. I also found one in the temple, but that was pre-patch.

The wiki is just so bare and outdated. Completely useless.
I'm currently trying to figure out how on earth someone did a solo POTD run that somehow ended up with the following:

Level 3, maybe 1.5 hours in, 7000+ gold (2000 gold plus figurine), a fine dagger (can't do this enchant until level 4), and Rymrgand's Mantle.

I'm assuming they're not cheating, and they may have murdered half the town, but that would only get them so far. They said they started the new character after the patch too, so the figurine would have been full price.

Varna

The focus on completing objectives for EXP is a pretty great change to this style of game. Let's be honest, even when we knew exactly were to go in the IE games how many of us didn't squeeze every last ounce of EXP before moving on?

Now we don't have to and it definitely keeps the element of urgency alive.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know where Rymrgand's Mantle can be found?
OK, big spoiler for random loot:

It apparently depends on the day, among other things. I rested in the inn's free room until day 3, and the cloak showed up when I unlocked the chest then. I really hope Obsidian doesn't change it to be totally random since that's going to make runs even more time-consuming to get lucky with loot.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The focus on completing objectives for EXP is a pretty great change to this style of game. Let's be honest, even when we knew exactly were to go in the IE games how many of us didn't squeeze every last ounce of EXP before moving on?

Now we don't have to and it definitely keeps the element of urgency alive.

I like it, but I was kind of disappointed that I hit the level cap almost 15 hours before I beat the game. You'd think with this style of XP they'd be able to control the level curve better.

Vamphuntr

I like it, but I was kind of disappointed that I hit the level cap almost 15 hours before I beat the game. You'd think with this style of XP they'd be able to control the level curve better.

Yeah I'm already at the level cap and still in act 3. The game still really need some fine tuning. Bounty gives way too much xp.

I also don't like how spells don't improve with levels like in D&D. Level 5 and 6 spells seems like one spell level they've split in 2.

Violet_0

Banned
fun fact - act 2 is pretty easy even on path of the damned (with a full party, though). They need to work on the game balance in the expansion

I don't know if this is already common knowledge but each character can have one active trap
6VYnsSy.jpg

KingKong

Yeah I'm already at the level cap and still in act 3. The game still really need some fine tuning. Bounty gives way too much xp.

I also don't like how spells don't improve with levels like in D&D. Level 5 and 6 spells seems like one spell level they've split in 2.

Act 3 and 4 are short enough that that sounds about right

Blizzard

Banned

fun fact - act 2 is pretty easy even on path of the damned (with a full party, though). They need to work on the game balance in the expansion
I realize the game isn't balanced around playing solo, but every time someone says something like this I think "that'd make solo even more of a nightmare". =P I'm a big fan of how you can get XP through non-combat methods.

I think I've also seen people talking about the final battle(s) being very difficult even with a full party and the best weapons in the game, and it leaving a sour taste in their mouth because of it, so it seems that mileage may vary. Maybe being able to hit the level cap early allows you to skip some quests, or level up other party members so you have a better composition at the end. I think act 3
is close to the end anyway?

Violet_0

Banned
well, act 4 is really
short

I really like the 'no combat xp'-system as well, btw. Makes replaying the game so much easier and faster

Vamphuntr

I realize the game isn't balanced around playing solo, but every time someone says something like this I think "that'd make solo even more of a nightmare". =P I'm a big fan of how you can get XP through non-combat methods.

I think I've also seen people talking about the final battle(s) being very difficult even with a full party and the best weapons in the game, and it leaving a sour taste in their mouth because of it, so it seems that mileage may vary. Maybe being able to hit the level cap early allows you to skip some quests, or level up other party members so you have a better composition at the end. I think act 3
is close to the end anyway?

Everyone gets the xp even those in the stronghold. You simply have to use them to click on their level up icon.

hemtae

Act 3
Is there a way to kill the dwarf in Blood Sands without having the entire place try to kill me?

Kvik

Act 2. Task
Brave Derrin

How I get more clues to the identity of
B (Derrin's killer)
?

I still have this Task unfinished from Act 2 :-\

Varna

Early act 1 question...

What does the hidden button do
in the animancers room under Raedric's Hold?
I approached her after taking the place and she said she didn't have any use for me. She wasn't hostile... but once I touched that button she attacked.

Act two Defiance Bay spoiler

FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK LIGHTHOUSE. I was finally about to do the first floor by dropping 3 slickens before I activated the fight. It gave me time to get buffs going and get 2 fireballs into the group of them. Skipped the second floor, and didn't fight the ghost at the top. I did go back and loot what I could from the second floor after I finished.

Does anything different happen if I fight her? Or does she drop anything worth killing her for?

Also,

That feel when your rogue is melee engaged with someone whose blinded, those riposte sneak attacks are the best.

Vamphuntr

Act 2. Task
Brave Derrin

How I get more clues to the identity of
B (Derrin's killer)
?

I still have this Task unfinished from Act 2 :-\

If you hold tab you see people's name. There is only one person starting with a B on the map...

FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK LIGHTHOUSE. I was finally about to do the first floor by dropping 3 slickens before I activated the fight. It gave me time to get buffs going and get 2 fireballs into the group of them. Skipped the second floor, and didn't fight the ghost at the top. I did go back and loot what I could from the second floor after I finished.

Does anything different happen if I fight her? Or does she drop anything worth killing her for?

The good loot are in the container next to her. She drops nothing worthwhile If remember well but the building becomes a inn after you solve the quest.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
named npcs having dialogue for most lines but not for others is quite distracting, is that a bug or just a low budget thing?

vocab

named npcs having dialogue for most lines but not for others is quite distracting, is that a bug or just a low budget thing?

You mean some voiced and some not?

It's pretty expensive to have voiced dialogue for everything. I imagine they voiced the important stuff that they knew they wanted to keep in the game so if they decide to edit the script they didnt waste voiced dialogue.

Violet_0

Banned

it has tradition with the IE games
if you don't have to voice every line in the game the dialogues can be much more complex and it saves money

Lingitiz

Budget and choice. Voicing dialogue is expensive but helps bring flavor to some scenes. In others it limits reactivity and makes it hard to write multiple outcomes because they would need to all be voiced. I think they did well but picking their spots.

MartyStu

So what level are you supposed to be for that Raedric fight?

I pretty much wrecked him at level 4. Was the fight patched?

Also, I killed both
Raedric
and
Kolsc

Does the narrative acknowledge this?

Ushay

So guys can anyone give me a breakdown on what the classes are really like? In terms of damage dealing, defensive/offensive and utility? If I wanted a damage dealer with good support capabilities what should I pick?

I don't know if this is already common knowledge but each character can have one active trap
6VYnsSy.jpg

OH MAI GADDD...

I could have saved myself so many headaches. I had about thirty traps and was wondering how I could ever use them all, setting them up one at a time...

Finished it.
Locked Thaos to the prison and returned the lost souls to where they were supposed to go in the first place
. There seems to be lots of different endings though.

Contender for GOTY? Quite possibly, although it's a hard one with GTAV PC, Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight still to come.

I am glad I backed the game, and look forward to the expansion and future releases. Well done Obsidian, although some FedEx quests could have been avoided.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so im missing something with combat. these shades for example, keep just teleporting to my mage and insta gibbing him, I try to move him but he wont move fast enough I assume because they engaged him. Whats the point of having a sword and shield guy if mobs can just teleport to whoever they want and kill them?

also I dont understand the whole endurance thing yet. I dunno, the game's conbat isnt grabbing me, probably because I dont really understand it

Blizzard

Banned
so im missing something with combat. these shades for example, keep just teleporting to my mage and insta gibbing him, I try to move him but he wont move fast enough I assume because they engaged him. Whats the point of having a sword and shield guy if mobs can just teleport to whoever they want and kill them?

also I dont understand the whole endurance thing yet. I dunno, the game's conbat isnt grabbing me, probably because I dont really understand it
Make sure you're level 3 before fighting the shades/phantoms, and that you have like a billion members in your party. :p

The phantoms are annoying, but one thing you can try is
to send your tank out ahead, so the phantoms teleport to the tank instead. At that point the tank will keep them engaged by standing still, so they can't leave. The rest of your party will be shooting the phantoms.

The way endurance and health work is, when you're in a battle your "current" HP is your "endurance". But, when you take damage it also chops off part of your overall "health" bar. Say you take 50 points worth of damage in a fight, whether you heal or not. Your endurance will go back to full when the fight is over, but your health will be 50 points down until something restores it (usually a rest). If any character reaches 0 health, they get maimed or die depending on your difficulty.

Crazy person update, at least 2 people on Reddit are now claiming to have gotten triple crown solo legitimately. http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/31hoha/am_i_the_first_solo_triple_crown/ I'm still stuck trying to find a way past 5300 XP with a barbarian. I have these four problems:
Can't kill wolves in Valewood reliably (wouldn't get level 4 even if I could).
Can't kill single guard at top of Raedric's Keep reliably.
Can't kill anything in dungeon of Raedric's Keep, so that path is out.
Can't figure out a way to get another 3000+ gold for the figurine unless it's trying to kill tons of NPCs, something I'd really like to avoid.

Rhaknar

if I get out of this dungeon will the mobs respawn? I assume so, and Im out of camping gear >_<

Rhaknar

these adventurers we can recruit at the inn, are they permanent?

im stuck at the last boss of this dungeon (I think?), I might be able tog et it now that im rested, but if not, I could use another party member

edit: wow that was easy as shit after I was rested, damn o_O I think my tank had like less than half health before, so everytime I tried, as soon as his endurance went he just died

Top Bottom