• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Blizzard

Banned
I just confirmed that they not only made the Disappointer
sell for hardly anything with the patch, but you also apparently can't enchant more to remove the Terrible quality anymore. I guess you could say I'm...disappointed. Side note, I think this means there's exactly one usable gun before Caed Nua?

Conezays

So I hadn't done any of the Endless Paths yet (but had got to Act 3). Managed to get down to Level
before deciding to take a break. Enemies are getting pretty tough, so may head back to Twin Elms for now. 37.5 hours in so far...yikes.

Got him down to 1 red dot but with my weak ass warrior and wizard I cant finish the fight. Goodbye Mr bear we shall meet again

What difficulty are you playing on? On easy I soloed the bear with my wizard (I had camped recently so I had full spells at my disposal). Maybe
equip the battleaxe and maybe the armor the fighter from the tutorial section had if it's better than your starting equipment.
Make sure you're not catching your characters in the AoE of your Wizard's spells as well.

Other advice would be to sleep at the inn in town (the common room is free). It will kick off a quest. Go to the area indicated by the quest and do it. As you're leaving the small area that quest take place in, there should be a guy standing near the entryway. He's a really good fighter that you can recruit. If you have the cash you might try adding a custom adventurer to your party as well, which you can also do at the inn.

The
dungeon under the temple is out of your league at the moment, come back to that one after you've filled out your party and leveled up some

Kvik

This load time is getting progressively longer by the seconds. Probably because the number of my save files are in the hundreds. :-\

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
What are the options for a high Might/Resolve character for Path of the Damned? I want to see the dialogue I missed, but thinking Barbarian wants Int too much to go full Resolve, and most tanky classes don't really want/need Might.

Xiraiya

What are the options for a high Might/Resolve character for Path of the Damned? I want to see the dialogue I missed, but thinking Barbarian wants Int too much to go full Resolve, and most tanky classes don't really want/need Might.

Paladins and Fighters do well with high resolve (Fighter can have both and be okay), Paladins do better with full Resolve because of their passive, but then you won't get to hit anything or do any particularly noteworthy damage.

Burt

No.
You know the quest when some dude asks you to kidnap a baby? If you do it, but you don't bring the baby to him, the child stays in the inventory and shows up in the ending, apparently.
That's awesome. And the inventory thing is hilarious.BBenevolence robbed me of so much fun.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
do i just not understand the combat in this game?

i have a fighter (eder) who is using sword and shield, and defensive mode, he still dies in every single fight

i have a bear which is pretty much useless, can't tank for shit and does no damage

shadows can just teleport to my ranged fighters instantly and once they're there i can't back them off without being destroyed by disengagement attacks

my magic seems borderline pointless

does the combat get a lot better? am i playing it wrong? i want to enjoy this game but so far outside of a couple of cute quests it's pretty bad tbqh.

JC Sera

No.
You know the quest when some dude asks you to kidnap a baby? If you do it, but you don't bring the baby to him, the child stays in the inventory and shows up in the ending, apparently.
wtf I never got that quest
I enjoy the combat a lot, but I feel like I missed out on a lot of shadow shenanigans at lower levels, they still went for aloth but he managed to survive every time.
I can't see if your doing anything wrong if you already know about engagement rules and theres no AI.
Rangers are lack luster, main thing with the bear is its a free tank for no health loss trade off.
Spells are really great to initiate at low levels with, my favourite is the rolling fireball.
Are you using Eder's knock downs? Prone enemies cant do engagement attacks.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
>watching a phantom tear its way through my party because it attacks faster than any of my actions and it just stun locks everyone until they're dead

this isn't fun. i'm not having any fun with this.

Am I missing something about the Act 2 quest
A Voice From the Past
?

It's the one where you Dalton asks you to find Rowana in the Catacombs of Defiance Bay. Blah blah, it turns out she's been trapped in an amulet and you have the choice of either giving it to Dalton so he can be with her in some sick twisted way or grant Rowana peace by destroying the amulet. I reloaded just to make sure but it seems like the only way to destroy the amulet is to do in front of his face. That seems kinda sadistic since you can just as easily tell him it was just a dream and not mention her cruel fate. Only in that case you can't destroy the amulet? That seems odd.

Another quest had this problem with options that should be there being conspicuously absent, like the option not to buy something and back out.

IIRC, there was a Benevolent or Rational option after you tell him it needs to be destroyed that basically tells him that if he doesn't release her he'd be no better than the Necromancer who trapped her and leads him to agree to set her free himself. You get a unique club out of it after he destroys the amulet.

Blizzard

Banned

i have a fighter (eder) who is using sword and shield, and defensive mode, he still dies in every single fight

i have a bear which is pretty much useless, can't tank for shit and does no damage

shadows can just teleport to my ranged fighters instantly and once they're there i can't back them off without being destroyed by disengagement attacks

my magic seems borderline pointless

does the combat get a lot better? am i playing it wrong? i want to enjoy this game but so far outside of a couple of cute quests it's pretty bad tbqh.
What difficulty are you playing on? It was difficult enough for me on easy. Also, are you referring to the tutorial area or a specific dungeon -- and if so, which?

How many party members do you have?

Lingitiz

What difficulty are you playing on? It was difficult enough for me on easy. Also, are you referring to the tutorial area or a specific dungeon -- and if so, which?

How many party members do you have?

Get Aloth, Durance, and Kana Rua ASAP. They are not far from the area you're in. Almost everyone makes the mistake of doing that first optional dungeon without having a full party. Nothing scales to your level so it's quite easy to wander some place where you'll get bodied early on.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i actually got past the temple of elojdfksljdfwhoever, i'm now in caed nundhfjshfwhatever

and i only had 5 members but i just went and hired a paladin, to tank a bit (although given that my enemies can instantaneously teleport i'm not sure how helpful that's going to be)

[edit] rofl, paladin got bodied in the first fight i took her into, torn to pieces by shadows and phantoms, just like eder and aloth

am i in an area that's way too difficult for me or something?

Uriah

Is easy really the best option for newcomers to this type of genre? I've never played a game with real-time combat and pause, but I don't want the game to become a cakewalk.

Arcteryx

i actually got past the temple of elojdfksljdfwhoever, i'm now in caed nundhfjshfwhatever

and i only had 5 members but i just went and hired a paladin, to tank a bit (although given that my enemies can instantaneously teleport i'm not sure how helpful that's going to be)

[edit] rofl, paladin got bodied in the first fight i took her into, torn to pieces by shadows and phantoms, just like eder and aloth

Look up some basic combat stuff on youtube. You shouldn't be having issues with 5/6 people parties with the stuff you're doing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Is easy really the best option for newcomers to this type of genre? I've never played a game with real-time combat and pause, but I don't want the game to become a cakewalk.

You can change the difficulty mid-game. If you are completely new to these types of games i highly recommend Sensukis videos listed in the OP.

Sober

Yes it's fine. It's not too difficult even on normal and it still manages to come up with some fights that require some actual coordination. You can always adjust easy-normal-hard mid-game if you need.

Blizzard

Banned

The funny part about "caed nundhfjshfwhatever" is that "caed nua" has way fewer letters and you were only off by one. :p

You didn't mention what difficulty you're on yet. Hard? Have you played Baldur's Gate games before (this is not an insult, just trying to help)?

About tanking:
Eder and/or another tank should be able to melee engage enemies. Once they're attacking an enemy, the enemy shouldn't be able to teleport unless there's something I don't know about. The phantoms shouldn't be able to simultaneously attack all 5 of your party members if you walk into the staircase, or back into the lower left part of the hall. If they attack your back line, use your front line to attack. If they attack your front line, use your back line to do ranged attacks.

Shadows and phantoms are one of the worst enemies in the game. They're hard to hit and teleport around.
Don't engage them with all of your party members, pull them with your tanks first instead so they'll teleport to them.

Start on easy.
You can always change the difficulty later when you found the game is too easy for you.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The funny part about "caed nundhfjshfwhatever" is that "caed nua" has way fewer letters and you were only off by one. :p

You didn't mention what difficulty you're on yet. Hard? Have you played Baldur's Gate games before (this is not an insult, just trying to help)?

About tanking:
Eder and/or another tank should be able to melee engage enemies. Once they're attacking an enemy, the enemy shouldn't be able to teleport unless there's something I don't know about. The phantoms shouldn't be able to simultaneously attack all 5 of your party members if you walk into the staircase, or back into the lower left part of the hall. If they attack your back line, use your front line to attack. If they attack your front line, use your back line to do ranged attacks.

i've finished BG2 before. playing on normal. this reminds me a lot more of the beginning of baldur's gate 1 than it does of baldur's gate 2--lots of fairly difficult encounters and lots of standing around missing the enemy, relying on sheer dumb luck to survive.

eder is useless, gets torn through instantly even with defensive mode on. eventually i managed to beat the pack in the main hall by using my priest and paladin to heal eder as much as possible while casting literally every mage spell i could and pummeling them with arrows and shot.

the bear is literally pointless, though. i really wish that they'd made it clear that it wasn't a very good tank or i wouldn't have picked a ranger to be honest. i've even wasted talents trying to make it tankier, when really i shouldn't have bothered.

so far this game has made an amazingly bad first impression on me. does it get better? i'm not sure i could play this for another 80 hours.

Wow, Ciphers are crazy powerful. (Just got
Grieving Mother.
) I know what I'm picking next time through.

What in the world were Mind Blades like before, because oh my god.

Blizzard

Banned
i've finished BG2 before. playing on normal. this reminds me a lot more of the beginning of baldur's gate 1 than it does of baldur's gate 2--lots of fairly difficult encounters and lots of standing around missing the enemy, relying on sheer dumb luck to survive.

eder is useless, gets torn through instantly even with defensive mode on. eventually i managed to beat the pack in the main hall by using my priest and paladin to heal eder as much as possible while casting literally every mage spell i could and pummeling them with arrows and shot.

the bear is literally pointless, though. i really wish that they'd made it clear that it wasn't a very good tank or i wouldn't have picked a ranger to be honest. i've even wasted talents trying to make it tankier, when really i shouldn't have bothered.

so far this game has made an amazingly bad first impression on me. does it get better? i'm not sure i could play this for another 80 hours.
My suspicion is that you won't enjoy the rest since you dislike the combat so much at present.

If you can't use 3-4 party members to do enough damage to shadows/phantoms while a tank is holding them on normal difficulty, I feel like there's something very weird going on. Could you perhaps upload a screenshot of the battle layout once it gets started? Although it sounds like you're past there now.

Back to the path of the dead stuff, there's no guaranteed way to get an extra level of lore before Caed Nua, is there? I messed up my build and don't want to have to replay a bunch if I can avoid it.

AcAnchoa

The combat in this game when facing more than four or five enemies is getting on my nerves. As soon as it begins every enemy targets either Aloth or Durance and they are dead, next everyone ignores orders and starts running around.

Right now I love the game when I'm not fighting, but almost hate it when a combat begins.

I honestly think for someone not to like this game they would either have to hate the genre or be doing something horribly wrong.

It's a top-five CRPG of the 21st century.

The combat in this game when facing more than four or five enemies is getting on my nerves. As soon as it begins every enemy targets either Aloth or Durance and they are dead, next everyone ignores orders and starts running around.

Right now I love the game when I'm not fighting, but almost hate it when a combat begins.
Turn on Eder's modal ability, which allows him to engage three enemies. Keep him at the front. A couple of seconds into combat, mouse over the bases of the enemy. It'll highlight who they're targeting on your team. Then move Eder to intercept.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I honestly think for someone not to like this game they would either have to hate the genre or be doing something horribly wrong.

It's a top-five CRPG of the 21st century.

it's very possible that i'm doing something wrong, i'll watch the video in the OP and see if it sheds any light

Nordicus

I, uhh... is your party like level 2 or something? Because Eder is a monster tank

Caed Nua is a bit tricky, but in my 30 or so hours of PoE I've barely met any fight as annoying as, well, quite a few of the ones in BG1

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I, uhh... is your party like level 2 or something? Because Eder is a monster tank

Caed Nua is a bit tricky, but in my 30 or so hours of PoE I've barely met any fight as annoying as, well, quite a few of the ones in BG1

eder just reached level 4 in the basement of caed nua, is that too low level?

Ketch

Back to the path of the dead stuff, there's no guaranteed way to get an extra level of lore before Caed Nua, is there? I messed up my build and don't want to have to replay a bunch if I can avoid it.

I mean it would have to be through items right... or maybe a potion/scroll? Have you tried enchanting or crafting something to get +1 lore?... I'm not sure what the mats would be. Have you done all of the side quests? maybe you can get another level?

@godelsmetric are you using priest to buff damage resistance and stuff at the beginning of the fights?

jb1234

I'm enjoying the game so far (massive difficulty spike in the temple aside) but whenever I double-click on the map to take a look at a new area, the game jumps to it as it should and then scrolls a bit off-center, which drives me crazy. Does this bother anyone else?

Uriah

Are these okay stats for a wizard?

Might 17
Constitution 11
Dexterity 14
Perception 10
Intellect 14
Resolve 11

And these starting spells?
Dazzling Lights
Fan of Flames
Jolting touch
Sliken

What kind of armor do you have on Eder that he's getting torn apart so easily? My group of two fighters, two mages, a priest, and a chanter found that area difficult but nothing like you're describing. The
Chanter you pick up right outside of where you're at
also has an ability to summon a pack of three skeletons after three chants. They're weak, but you can use them to engage the enemy and keep them from teleporting around. You can also
pick up a statue in the blacksmith that summons an animat that can work as a tank
Eder should be throwing out his two knockdown specials every encounter. They're tough, but I seem to recall that
you only need to engage them outside and in the main hall before moving on to easier enemies elsewhere in the keep to keep the quest moving.
If you're running a ranger you should also use a custom formation, their pet isn't part of default formations from what I've experienced. Best use of ranger pet is to bring it to bear against an already engaged enemy, so it can add it's damage with less chance of drawing aggro and being attacked in turn. The ability that gives it sneak attack bonus damage is useful when you use them like that as well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Might 17
Constitution 11
Dexterity 14
Perception 10
Intellect 14
Resolve 11

Dazzling Lights
Fan of Flames
Jolting touch
Sliken

Might and Intellect are good Wizard stats. Might adds damage and Intellect adds AoE radius and spell duration. Slicken and Fan of Flames for sure.

Ala Alba

Might 17
Constitution 11
Dexterity 14
Perception 10
Intellect 14
Resolve 11

Dazzling Lights
Fan of Flames
Jolting touch
Sliken

You can safely dump Constitution. Even taking it down to 3(!) only drops your Endurance/HP by 21%. That means you lose a mere 6 starting endurance and 2 endurance per level. That means that you drop from 30 + 12*10 = 150 endurance at level 12 down to 24 + 12*8 = 120 endurance. A mere 30 endurance isn't really much to lose.

Wizards are squishy, so losing a little bit of Endurance really won't affect you much in the long run.

As for spells, I would recommend Chill Fog instead of Dazzling Lights or Jolting Touch.

eder just reached level 4 in the basement of caed nua, is that too low level?
Nope, is the right level.

BTW i was like you until the combat clicked with me (at caed nua). You are obviously doing something wrong right now, maybe the weapons your characters are carrying or the armour (this is probably whats hapoening to tou, plus maybe character placenent).
Started on normal with a druid, was having a harsh time and had ti play it at the end on easy (just before caed nua). My saves were erased and started again but with a cipher. Also instead of continuing on easy I put it again on normal, because I thought i got the hang of it after beating raedrics castle (just before i lost my saves). And i was right, thanks to the cipher, me reading slowly the item descriptiond and character habilities and understanding more the combat i could blow the start until again readrics castle. Still playing on normal and having a really good time, dont have much problem with phantoms because i know how to place now the charcater before the fight.

Also helped that I watch some of the learning class videos in the OP Good luck.

Violet_0

Banned
act 1 on path of the damned is rough. I'm probably past the worst point soon-ish but enemies hit a lot harder than I expected. Running with a custom priest, paladin, warrior, monk, druid party (+ the dwarf companion later), wanted to try some of the other classes with a focus on more melee. The monk class is weird
Was it posted before?

Ending spoiler.

http://i.imgur.com/D2dgomW.jpg

Ahah, wow.

that is hilarious, and I was so close to doing that as well

Dresden

Might 17
Constitution 11
Dexterity 14
Perception 10
Intellect 14
Resolve 11

Dazzling Lights
Fan of Flames
Jolting touch
Sliken

Fan of Flames
Eldritch Aim
Chill Fog
and then whatever you want for the fourth. Those three are the best in rank 1, though.

Max out Might, max out Int. Everything else is secondary.

Am I missing something here? A lot of times when I click on a portrait to try and switch between characters in battle, it just trains my previously selected character on the new character. Um no, that's not what I want to do obviously. Not only does it not select the new character, but it interrupts what I ordered my previous character to do.

Never mind, think i figured it out. Think I was selecting an ability and then not selecting the enemy before I switched to a new character.

Hey lemme ask you guys. I've done the following stuff.

Gilded Vales Sidequests (all of em)
Raedrics Hold
Got the Stronghold
and the surrounding wilderness areas

I only took a quick pitstop in
Defiance Bay
and
Dyrwood Village
to grab the companions.

But I look at the map, is like...50/60% of the game in the two major cities? I saw a "completed" map on the Pillars Wiki are there were barely any new spots. I'm curious because I'm only 15 hours in and the map looks nearly filled out.

Top Bottom