• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Alrus

Question regarding a Sidequest in Defiance Bay :
Is there any long lasting consequence if I take the Theorem of Pandagram from the Hall of Mysteries and bring it to that girl in Brackenbury? I already completed the Wael scroll quest.

I think I'm about to boot up this game today. My buddy said that the story characters are garbage and he was unable to beat the last boss with them, so he's doing another playthrough using all mercenary dudes. Is this a thing I should worry about?

Nordicus

13-16 in one, 17-20 in the other half sounds about right.
Kinda worried about per-rest type spellcasters becoming more overpowered when max level rises, if it does.

Honestly, would have preferred the rest-to-encounter spell conversion to be much slower and and gradual, though perhaps start a bit earlier. Like, at level 5, Your four per-rest level 1 spell casts become "1+3" (First spell every encounter is per encounter, 3 after that are per rest)

Ala Alba

I think I'm about to boot up this game today. My buddy said that the story characters are garbage and he was unable to beat the last boss with them, so he's doing another playthrough using all mercenary dudes. Is this a thing I should worry about?

The story characters do not have optimal stats nor ability/talent choices (sometimes). But that really only matters on Path of the Damned difficulty, and probably not enough to make it that much more difficult.

Nohar

Regarding the story characters, the sooner you recruit them, the better, since otherwise they will have sub-optimal skills/perks/talents/spells.
I don't find them that bad, though obviously they are not powerhouses initially.

Edit: And Eder reaaaally wants to pet the fox. Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww.

Ketch

I feel the need to get the players manual so I can plan out my character sheets for my 2nd run through.

That tidbit about the xpac has got me really excited.

epmode

I'm honestly surprised that Obsidian didn't give an option to fully respec an NPC when they first join your party. I guess that's what mods are for!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the story characters, the sooner you recruit them, the better, since otherwise they will have sub-optimal skills/perks/talents/spells.
I don't find them that bad, though obviously they are not powerhouses initially.

Edit: And Eder reaaaally wants to pet the fox. Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww.

As mentioned earlier, Eder gets an extra talent if you get him at level 3 and kana gets a second level chant before he's supposed to, so it kind of depends.

Ala Alba

As mentioned earlier, Eder gets an extra talent if you get him at level 3 and kana gets a second level chant before he's supposed to, so it kind of depends.

The druid also gets an extra level one spell slot talent at level 2, when it's normally not available until later.

While it's possible to get all companions at level 3, I don't think it's possible to get most of them at level 2 (Eder, Aloth, and maybe Durance are possible, but just reaching Caed Nua will push you to level 3).

Burt

There's a door in the bottom of Raedric's that I can't open after going through
the sewers
. It won't even highlight when I mouse over, as if it wasn't there. Is this a bug or just a progression lock thing. I went entered via the
vines
last time and don't remember this.

Also, (Raedric + endgame story spoilers)

Damn, Osrya's right about pretty much everything. I almost feel bad for gibbing her last run.

There are multiples doors which are bugged in Raedric's keep. It will probably be patched next week.

Ah thanks

Nohar

There's a door in the bottom of Raedric's that I can't open after going through
the sewers
. It won't even highlight when I mouse over, as if it wasn't there. Is this a bug or just a progression lock thing. I went entered via the
vines
last time and don't remember this.

There are multiples doors which are bugged in Raedric's keep. It will probably be patched next week.

fanboi

Banned
Level 7 currently and just scratch act II.

I am down to lvl 9 in Endless, and regarding lvl 8
fampyre boss... walked back over the bridge, bombarded them with foreball and other AoE, have your tank be in the frontline and heal him

Nohar

OK, that's weird. I have a Aggressive reputation 1. Can't remember how I managed to get it (I play on Expert), since I refrain from acting, well, aggressively.

So far, I have the following reputations:
- Benevolent 2
- Clever 1
- Stoic 1
- Aggressive 1
- Diplomatic 1
- Passionate 2
- Honest 2
It seems my "Honest" reputation helped me to complete a quest right after entering Defiance's Bay. Not quite sure how the rest affected my playthrough so far.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
OK, that's weird. I have a Aggressive reputation 1. Can't remember how I managed to get it (I play on Expert), since I refrain from acting, well, aggressively.

So far, I have the following reputations:
- Benevolent 2
- Clever 1
- Stoic 1
- Aggressive 1
- Diplomatic 1
- Passionate 2
- Honest 2
It seems my "Honest" reputation helped me to complete a quest right after entering Defiance's Bay. Not quite sure how the rest affected my playthrough so far.
It is cool when stuff like that comes up. The first time i noticed it was in Defiance Bay. My reps in Act 2 are:

• Benevolent 3
  • Diplomatic 2
  • Rational 2
  • Honest 2

Acosta

Who are the companions written by Avellone?

Durance and the Grieving Mother (surprise, surprise, my two favorite characters).

And they had to tone them down and cut content from the original Chris work because they were too extreme... I would have loved the full vision, including that Grieving Mother mind dungeon. It would have been awesome.

I love Pillars to death, but next Obsidian KS project better be a "Avellone unchained" project or I will be pissed.

Vamphuntr

Durance and the Grieving Mother (surprise, surprise, my two favorite characters).

And they had to tone them down and cut content from the original Chris work because they were too extreme... I would have loved the full vision, including that Grieving Mother mind dungeon. It would have been awesome.

I love Pillars to death, but next KS project better be a "Avellone unchained" project or I will be pissed.

Grieving Mother is my favorite companion and after finishing her quest I can see how the original vision was. Too bad it was cut.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

I love Pillars to death, but next Obsidian KS project better be a "Avellone unchained" project or I will be pissed.

That really should be the name of their next project: "Avellone unchained." Would back day one.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling they weren't cut for being too extreme but for budgetary reasons- a dungeon specifically for a companion was probably a tough pill to swallow, let alone two of 'em.

So whats about taking people prisoner to your stronghold. I already have one npc there, so i was trying to get some info on the internet about the usefulness of having prisoners. All I got is that its stupid and that they have a really big chance of scape even with good defenses.
Is this true?
While would they let us do prisoners if they serve for nothing in the game?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
So whats about taking people prisoner to your stronghold. I already have one npc there, so i was trying to get some info on the internet about the usefulness of having prisoners. All I got is that its stupid and that they have a really big chance of scape even with good defenses.
Is this true?
While would they let us do prisoners if they serve for nothing in the game?

You can sell them to slavers if you really want, and gives you an option in certain quests if you're the lawful type. Not much else!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man between the
Adra dragon
and my general inability to git gud at Bloodborne I'm starting to think I am just not good at video games anymore.

I can't get too upset about any paring back of Durance's and Grieving Mother's character concepts, because what's there is still great (and, frankly, still obviously Avellone-influenced).
The absence of a specific dungeon or physical dramatization of Grieving Mother's story does strike me as a loss. Durance's conversation-only quest works because the testiness of the interactions are very much part of his character concept and story. With Grieving Mother, it feels limiting. Don't get me wrong -- I'm happy to sit and talk to people, but I think it was smart of Avellone to try to externalize her story.

Wag

I have a crappy party. I don't really like my character, I usually have him hang back and shoot arrows most of the time.

I know there are a limited amount of camping supplies, but geez, I can never seem to get enough. I'm only at lvl 4 and am completely out.

I've got a bad feeling I shouldn't have rolled Wizard on my first playthrough on Normal difficulty after not playing something like this in a decade

Getting my butt kicked frequently

You can sell them to slavers if you really want, and gives you an option in certain quests if you're the lawful type. Not much else!
Im the lawful type so it seems my second option is the best way to act.
A pity you cant do much with them, like making them work for you for some weeks and then you have the option to let them free if they have behaved, or torturing to know game secrets.

Xiraiya

I have a crappy party. I don't really like my character, I usually have him hang back and shoot arrows most of the time.
I know there are a limited amount of camping supplies, but geez, I can never seem to get enough. I'm only at lvl 4 and am completely out.
I find myself camping unnecessarily on hard just so I can pick up the extras I find, I really think it should just be an item in your stash or inventory with no hard limit that you can just use when necessary, I shouldn't have to waste supplies just to pick up more.

KePoW

Banned
Man between the
Adra dragon
and my general inability to git gud at Bloodborne I'm starting to think I am just not good at video games anymore.

ur good at Marvel Heroes broski

I find myself camping unnecessarily on hard just so I can pick up the extras I find, I really think it should just be an item in your stash or inventory with no hard limit that you can just use when necessary, I shouldn't have to waste supplies just to pick up more.

that would make the game way way too easy

Man between the
Adra dragon

There are a few easy ways to tackle her. Create a few chipers with beastslaying talents and crossbow for instans and increase their accuracy further by buffs and they will destroy her if your tank or summon just can move her the opposite direction.

You can kite her with someone fast since she cant use any attack out of mele range.

But if you want to do it like me with ordinary companies you need to get a lot of corrode defence on tank as well as potions and ressurection scrolls. Some summons or an offtank while you res main tank helps also.

Durante

Whoa. Skaen. That's rough.

The game still suprises me from time to time with how dark it is. I guess "Avellone Unchained" would top it though :p

Whoa. Skaen. That's rough.

The game still suprises me from time to time with how dark it is. I guess "Avellone Unchained" would top it though :p
Saw this one coming a mile away (as soon as you meet
the currier
), but that's because
I read the lore too much before I started playing.
It was great, though.

I'm actually tempted to play a Skaen Priest for my second playthrough. ;)

My reputations near the end of Act II (conversation indicators turned off, so I'm purely roleplaying what I want to say in a given situation):

Benevolent 3
Clever 3
Stoic 2
Aggressive 1
Diplomatic 2
Passionate 2
Rational 3
Honest 2
Deceptive 3

I guess I'm pretty schizophrenic.

Jhriad

While it's possible to get all companions at level 3, I don't think it's possible to get most of them at level 2 (Eder, Aloth, and maybe Durance are possible, but just reaching Caed Nua will push you to level 3).

If you stealth along the edge of zones and know where the enemies are you can skirt most conflicts and get there before level 3. Pretty sure I did that on my last restart.

I've got a bad feeling I shouldn't have rolled Wizard on my first playthrough on Normal difficulty after not playing something like this in a decade

Getting my butt kicked frequently

Wizard is at it's hardest at the very start, especially if it's your first try at the game. That said they're not the most powerful class and I think some of their spell levels are pretty empty of big contributors.

Zeliard

~Rumor~ has it the new IP KS Obsidian is preparing is Avellone-led.

It's a rumor, of course, so take that for what it's worth.

Just picked this up and was thinking about making a monk MC but am unsure. Has the community found OP and gimped classes yet? I usually play as a ranged character for these games but want to try monk for some reason.

Dresden

Wizards past level 9 are easy mode, though. I can cast Fan of Flames six times per encounter right now.

I think they're fine early on, too. The increased range helps, and their spell levels are packed with good stuff at every rank.

They also get this game's version of alacrity, an accuracy boost (which is vital for path of the damned), and a crit conversion. They deal tons of burn damage early on, which wipes out shades and phantoms, which are the toughest enemies you encounter for a long time.

I restarted as one and it's been much easier than a rogue, really. Versatility and aoe cc/damage >>> everything else.

Durante

And that's not even getting into how Wizards are simply inherently the most awesome class, regardless of mechanics or setting :p

Top Bottom