• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Level 7 currently and just scratch act II.

I am down to lvl 9 in Endless, and regarding lvl 8
fampyre boss... walked back over the bridge, bombarded them with foreball and other AoE, have your tank be in the frontline and heal him

A really nice touch after the
battle, is that you get the very same armor the boss was wearing.

Acosta

~Rumor~ has it the new IP KS Obsidian is preparing is Avellone-led.

It's a rumor, of course, so take that for what it's worth.

Yes, I have heard the same. I really hope so.

From that interview where he showed interest in Ghost in the Shell my wet dream is him working on something cyberpunk-ish. But I'll back, hard any project with him in the lead.

I would back any Obsidian game :p But I really want Avellone.

HK-47 said:
Avellone's version of puzzle quest.

I hate you :(

Nohar

So far, I've encountered 8 compagnons (Fighter, Mage, Cipher, Ranger, Chanter, Paladin, Druid, Priest), but sadly no Rogue. I thought I could find one at the Gift, but
I met the opposite: the Paladin lady, who ran off who-knows-where
. Oh well.

Xiraiya

Just picked this up and was thinking about making a monk MC but am unsure. Has the community found OP and gimped classes yet? I usually play as a ranged character for these games but want to try monk for some reason.
Most classes seem to be pretty good, Fighter seems to be the overall better melee class in terms of versatility and potential for tanking.
Paladin and Ranger seem to be the ones that work better in theory but not really in practice.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So far, I've encountered 8 compagnons (Fighter, Mage, Cipher, Ranger, Chanter, Paladin, Druid, Priest), but sadly no Rogue. I thought I could find one at the Gift, but
. Oh well.

she didn't leave you yet. Consider poking around in that warehouse she was at and finishing a quest there.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You don't realize just how important party members auto ressing after getting knocked out in combat is until you have to drag their corpses and all their items to a temple.

How do I use fans of flame without damaging my tanks?

Position your wizard to the side of the enemies.

Sober

How do I use fans of flame without damaging my tanks?
Put your wizard off to the side and angle the cone. Or stand further back and hit them with the yellow part of the aoe/cone cursor without clipping your tanks in the red; the yellow (extra aoe from INT) only does foe aoe damage.

Or just give your tanks more reflex or whatever it rolls against and it will just miss.

Most classes seem to be pretty good, Fighter seems to be the overall better melee class in terms of versatility and potential for tanking.
Paladin and Ranger seem to be the ones that work better in theory but not really in practice.

Thanks for the input, I was hoping to make a melee DPS class, would fighter be best for that?

Sober

Thanks for the input, I was hoping to make a melee DPS class, would fighter be best for that?
Fighter is the most versatile but I think best for tanking. Rogue and Barb are probably better for hard DPS. Barb though I think carnage is still buggy with how secondary sources don't have DR minimum thresholds applied to it.

Burt

Path of the Damned has some bullshit accuracy issues, at least with spirits in the Temple of Eothas. Must be closing in on ten times where I've crushed a group of Shadows/Shades except for 1 and then the last one almost wipes the 4-5 people I have left standing because every attack misses.

Alrus

Path of the Damned has some bullshit accuracy issues, at least with spirits in the Temple of Eothas. Must be closing in on ten times where I've crushed a group of Shadows/Shades except for 1 and then the last one almost wipes the 4-5 people I have left standing because every attack misses.

Shades have some insane deflection or something, even on hard I find them really annoying.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Dual-wielding rogues deal ridiculous amount of damage from criticals, deep wounds, etc

They don't hold up in longer battles without healing support, though

Xiraiya

As someone else said, Rogue are pretty good for that, but Fighter wouldn't be terrible if you want something a little less vulnerable to death

Barbarians seem like they're made for DPS but I haven't really heard a whole lot about them, I doubt you can go wrong either way.

Put your wizard off to the side and angle the cone. Or stand further back and hit them with the yellow part of the aoe/cone cursor without clipping your tanks in the red; the yellow (extra aoe from INT) only does foe aoe damage.

Or just give your tanks more reflex or whatever it rolls against and it will just miss.

cone? you can see the range of spells? how?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I'm at the end of the game and I pretty much straight up can't even touch
Thaos
. His defense is just so much higher than any of my character's accuracy, on the rare occurance that a hit does connect it's always a graze. And of course no spells are landing either.

Brojito

Neo Member
Yes, I have heard the same. I really hope so.

From that interview where he showed interest in Ghost in the Shell my wet dream is him working on something cyberpunk-ish. But I'll back, hard any project with him in the lead.

I would back any Obsidian game :p But I really want Avellone.

Oh man.... please be true, and please let it be an original sci-fi setting or something like that.

I would have backed that even before Pillars came out, but now? I'd throw buckets of money at something like that.

I'm liking my Wizard but I kinda wish I had rolled a Monk. I never have played Monk in any RPG and since there is no companion either...

Maybe I'll do another playtrough with a Monk and play him ridicilously evil/greedy. My first playtrough is always a boyscout run.

Anyone playing a Monk? You happy with the class? Do you even use any weapons or go fists 24/7?

Blizzard

Banned
from the reddit comments
"I did stupid things like stealth up to doors between enemies to open them, pray I didn't get knocked down or stunned before I could shadow and run through and make it far enough to not get dumpstered."

So he used a Rogue and avoided fights where he could. Will be interesting to see if you can manage it with Barbarian.
I spent a long time with stealth 5 Rogue trying the same thing. One key thing was I never managed to make it to level 4 (which I think gives shadowing beyond and would have helped). I'm trying godlike Barbarian now.

Another thing someone mentioned is that you can alt-tab to avoid conversations forcing you into battle, but that personally feels too much like cheating to me, instead of abusing the game's internal mechanics.

Durante

I have to say I really love the scripted interactions, both the way they are presented and how you can, well, interact with them. E.g. I just started exploring the endless paths, and the whole sequence where you
can climb down from level 2, drop into a pool of blood, and end up in front of a Drake
was pretty awesome.

One minor niggle is that the use of items (which is, in itself, an awesome feature -- everyone knows all those times in RPGs where you thought "hey I have a rope, why not use it in these circumstances?) seems like it was balanced around the original concept without stash access from everywhere. If you don't play on expert you have basically an unlimited supply of these items and it almost feels like cheating.

Volodja

Yeah they're insane, and then when you get down to that last one more always seem to come, and I still can't tell if Shades spawn Shadows or Shadows spawn Shades.
Shades spawn Shadows.
Shadows die very fast too, never really cared for them much unless they were right on somebody that was low life.

That room, however...I basically had to take Bulwark for Aloth simply because of it, then abused the hell out of Withdraw to keep my backline alive.
Also used my Wurm summons as blockers later on and the Ranger pet to activate the encounter while I was nested in the upper right.

Durante

How long is act 2 in comparison to act 1?
Judging from my playtime, it's more than twice as long. And I'm still not done with it.

Of course, this depends on a lot of factors, like how many sidequests you do, how much time you spend reading, which difficulty you play on (since that greatly affects battle duration), and how much of the big optional content like the Endless Paths you tackle in Act 2.

Xiraiya

Jesus christ, so I just discovered that the battle theme changes depending on whether you engage an enemy first or if they engage you.

I sent a party member off to scout an area I played through before and he snuck up on an enemy and attacked. Suddenly I was hearing music I'd never heard before.
That's awesome, it's way better than the regular theme too.

At first I thought the Patch had changed the battle theme, but then I realized it would only play in those situations.

Brojito

Neo Member
I'm liking my Wizard but I kinda wish I had rolled a Monk. I never have played Monk in any RPG and since there is no companion either...

Maybe I'll do another playtrough with a Monk and play him ridicilously evil/greedy. My first playtrough is always a boyscout run.

Anyone playing a Monk? You happy with the class? Do you even use any weapons or go fists 24/7?

I'm not playing a monk, but I hired one from a tavern really like them. I rolled a fire godlike monk and dumped everything into might and dexterity, with some points in perception (for the interrupt bonus). So basically she runs around fisting punching everyone in sight, doing lots of damage with a really quick attack speed, occasionally interrupting enemy attacks.

I haven't tried any other builds though, so I don't know about making a really tanky monk or a monk that uses weapons.

KePoW

Banned

I'm playing Monk on Normal and it's a lot of fun. At first I wasn't really feeling Monk, but now at level 5/6 it's good

I tried weapons a bit, but I found unarmed is better

draetenth

. Oh well.

There are no Rogue, Monk, or Barbarian companions.

Violet_0

Banned
So I'm at the end of the game and I pretty much straight up can't even touch
Thaos
. His defense is just so much higher than any of my character's accuracy, on the rare occurance that a hit does connect it's always a graze. And of course no spells are landing either.

focus on the other enemies (one by one) and maybe just send one character (preferably a damage dealer with high accuracy - in my case, my barbarian) to occupy Thaos

I use a monk in my custom-made path of the damned party (currently lvl 6) and she dealt the most damage so far, although not by much. My issue with monks is that for a class that relies on enemies wounding them, they lack any form of self-sustainability and couldn't survive in combat without my priest. Barbarians on the other hand get a powerful self-heal and damage reduction. At the highest difficulty enemies have a lot of deflection and the monk abilities tend to miss very often so I rather just use the passive damage boost for wounds

does anyone know if the two-weapon talent works for unarmed combat?

And that's not even getting into how Wizards are simply inherently the most awesome class, regardless of mechanics or setting :p

Sorcerers were my favorite in Neverwinter Nights. Though I love the idea behind red dragon disciples. I loved to main as a fighter and take a level in sorcerer to unlock RDR.

Wizards are my favorite in this game. As much as I like wizards though, I don't know how I'd get through this game without 2 fighters, so I'm glad I have a fighter as my main. Tying up enemies with melee just seems to be how encounters were designed. And once an enemy slips past that main line of defense, I feel like I'm in trouble.

Right now I basically have 2 melee + 4 spellcasters. I suspect at some point I'll have to sacrifice a wizard for another melee at some point so I have more versatility.

Xiraiya

I really wish the game explained better how mechanics is involved in finding hidden items, they tell you that you just have to be in scout mode to find hidden items, so when I was finding nothing in places I had read that there were items, I started wondering what the deal was.

I wondered if maybe it was tied to stealth since it requires scout mode, or maybe it was a perception thing.
Turns out it depends on your mechanics, and 0 mechanics = 0 hidden items.

A little strange that it's not stealth or perception, but oh well.

Yasae

Banned
1oeAIXg.jpg

Rogue in a nutshell.

I'm playing a monk and am pretty happy with it so far.

Early game was a little tough until I got Durance, then things evened out.

You'll still want Eder as your tank, but monks are pretty good with the damage. Force of Anguish (I think that's what it's called) is a godsend for getting tough enemies out of your way and out of the fight for a little bit. And yeah, I did full on fists 24/7. There's really no reason to use anything else.

Violet_0

Banned
Right now I basically have 2 melee + 4 spellcasters. I suspect at some point I'll have to sacrifice a wizard for another melee at some point so I have more versatility.

that was the party composition that I used on my hard difficulty playthrough, you should be fine. If you have a chanter or even just Durance, you can give them a shield, the shield combat talent and let them off-tank if an enemy breaks through the line. Druid and item summons also work really well

that was the party composition that I used on my hard difficulty playthrough, you should be fine. If you have a chanter or even just Durance, you can give them a shield, the shield combat talent and let them off-tank if an enemy breaks through the line. Druid and item summons also work really well

There's something to keep in mind.

Few questions:

I'm in defiance bay (so overwhelming.... all the quests), and I have the option of taking what I'm pretty sure is the 2nd quest for Doemenel (I've already retrieved the gem for them). Would that disable the first quests for the other factions? Is it possible to do the first quest for each, and then pick a faction by doing the 2nd? Or is that not how it works?

Also, I have 2 items on one of my wizards that give +2 int. But that doesn't display anywhere in the stats sheet. Are item bonuses never reflected in the game like that?

Top Bottom