• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Durance works pretty great with a shield. I find Sagani's fox ties up enemies well too, especially if you make careful use of its knockdowns.

Xiraiya

Also, I have 2 items on one of my wizards that give +2 int. But that doesn't display anywhere in the stats sheet. Are item bonuses never reflected in the game like that?

It should be noticeable on your character sheet or in active effects, generally if you have 2 bonuses that are similar, one will be labeled as (suppressed)

Vamphuntr

Wow the boss at the end of Od nua is way too cheap. I'm max level with great gear and it wipes everyone out with one hit. Pretty dumb.

Kvik

My last day of Easter break, still playing Eternity (early Act 3):

playtime.png

(inflated a bit by posting on GAF, stopping for lunch, dinner and a few quick trips down to the store)

- Scout everywhere
- Read everything
- Micromanage everyone
- Roleplay like I am actually in Eora

Also, last night I learned that if you equipped two ring of wizards, the effects are actually stacking. I can practically spam everything. :)

Okay, let's see what's at the end of this cave...

Nope.

Let me guess. There's a fiery cave and a lot of
dragon
worshippers. :-\

Durante

My keep is now working more like I would expect, given that I have a lot of points invested in security:

On the other hand, wages are up to ~900, so it's still not paying for itself. Of course, money is plentiful at this point for me.

Giolon

I just met Sagani. Her voice sounded familiar to me, so I looked at the credits and Cindy Robinson is on the list. She was the English voice for Balsa in Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. I'm 99% certain she's the voice Sagani b/c they sound exactly the same.

Guaranteed slot in my party!

Currently 8 levels below my stronghold. Have to echo a previous post and say fuck
fampyrs
, one in particular
and all his friends

Ugh, I only just realised from your post. Sigh.

Well you do not have to fight the one in particular. He drops a nice breast plate though.

So yes, found I could skip the fight but hey he's a bad guy and he might have had loot.

So after walking away from the conversation and having read the traps tip, I cheesed/strategised the hell out of it:

Gave every party member a trap - fun stuff like noxious cloud placed just before a freeze trap and so on (yeah, evil combo), leading back from the chamber across the bridge. Threw in a big Durante exploding trap too.

Then moved whole party back across bridge bar one who force-attacked the nearest mob, then I ran back to the main group. As the mobs, attacked they lost half their life to the traps, got completely bogged down, i threw in a few aoe mind controls, fireballs, holy pillars and a creature summons and I don't think eder even had to bother tanking anyone as they were constantly totally under control... My gun and spell squad just picked the mobs off.

Love ciphers and wizards for crowd control. Mind blades also still awesome.

Is it a spoiler that there is a boss at the final level??
Not that, but the specific things about him being able to
one shot the party and being a complete nightmare to fight, yeah, I'd say that's spoiler territory.

Also, it could have been a warthog race against the clock or something ;-)

El Topo

Let me guess. There's a fiery cave and a lot of
dragon
worshippers. :-\

Then at the end there's...well, what you'd expect I guess. Fair enough, I tried out another cave. Oh, look , a few spiders, I can handle those
but wait, there's more...
I'm restricting myself to a four member party, so it can be a bit difficult at times to keep the enemy away from my fragile wizards. Otherwise that fight wasn't too tough.

Okay, so I just finished the game. Fantastic. Did most of the companion quests except one due to low rep in one place and a couple of others that just never got done for some reason.

Query (Aloth ending spoilers)
My ending slide said that he was a member of the Leaden Key and that Thaos was his old master or something. Did I miss something crucial at some point, because I have no recollection of this being revealed to me?

Conezays

Okay, so I just finished the game. Fantastic. Did most of the companion quests except one due to low rep in one place and a couple of others that just never got done for some reason.

My ending slide said that he was a member of the Leaden Key and that Thaos was his old master or something. Did I miss something crucial at some point, because I have no recollection of this being revealed to me?

Yeah, he mentions it at some point. I can't remember when though, sorry.

Violet_0

Banned

that was kinda surprising to me as well. Though I didn't have him in my party and only did the Defiance Bay quests, you probably have to talk with him more often

hemtae

He started a conversation with me as we were fleeing Defiance Bay at the end of Act 2. It was on the unbroken bridge from the city. No idea what happens if you don't have him with you.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You should try talking to your followers. You learn all kinds of neat things.

Cerity

While I haven't reached the end yet, as I was leaving Defiance Bay after the assassination, Aloth revealed that he was working for the Leaden Key, he came to Gilded Vale but the contact he was meant to meet up with didn't show, so he decided to tag a long with you. I'm guessing that person was Calisca or something, he mentions it was a she.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Woot!
Thaos
down, beat the game. I basically got lucky and landed some cipher charms and petrifies early, which let me nuke him down pretty fast. I was actually surprised to see him dead so fast, since my earlier attempts were not nearly as succesful.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Woot!
Thaos
down, beat the game. I basically got lucky and landed some cipher charms and petrifies early, which let me nuke him down pretty fast. I was actually surprised to see him dead so fast, since my earlier attempts were not nearly as succesful.

First time I got there I was wondering why everyone was so fussed about that fight, then I came back there and the petrify was resisted a bunch in a row. So it goes.

KePoW

Banned
does anyone know how long the special Inn rest bonuses last?? I don't see any time duration when hovering over tooltip next to portrait

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Playing through BG1 and some the responses you can give to people are just fantastic. I appreciated that PoE kept the dialogue grounded with a bit of humor here and there but something like this would've been great.

does anyone know how long the special Inn rest bonuses last?? I don't see any time duration when hovering over tooltip next to portrait

I could've sworn I read they last until a character gets knocked out. Not sure.

Nohar

Playing through BG1 and some the responses you can give to people are just fantastic. I appreciated that PoE kept the dialogue grounded with a bit of humor here and there but something like this would've been great.

That quote is rather famous in BG1. Just marvelous.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Woot!
Thaos

I realized I want to make a more in-depth "Game done! post, so...

Sitting at 46 hours on steam. Overall I am extremely happy with how the game turned out. It is a totally worthy successor to Baldur's Gate 2 in every way, from graphic design, sound/music, gameplay, and story. The setting really grew on me, and I I am excited for the potential for the franchise to grow, as Pillars itself only takes place in a relatively small section of Eora. I also like how much of the story/setting centers on politics instead of totally relying on fantasy tropes (which are themselves well executed and interesting. Pillars totally scratched that itch, and I'm already looking forward to starting up another run.

So ready for more. Bring it on, Obsidian.

Also, my end-game choices:

I destroyed Thaos' soul, but chose the reason that did it out of pity instead of vengeance. The dude was a piece of shit, but he was also sort of trapped and consumed by his past and his inability to deviate from it.

I returned the souls to the children, but it was pretty much a tossup between that and returning them to the cycle. Either way the Legacy ends and new children start to be born, which returns hope to folks. Kind of bummed that any of the "good" choices essentially reinforce peoples belief in the gods and hatred of animancy, but from a storytelling standpoint that totally makes sense. I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Nohar

Well, it seems my "Honest" reputation really helps me to shine when completing quests in Defiance's Bay. I need to plan a new walkthrough with a cunning lying and remorseless rogue to see how quests will change.

Also, concerning Aloth (spoilers):
I'm pretty sure he experienced an Awakening. That would explain his behaviour.

Burt

I realized I want to make a more in-depth "Game done! post, so...

Sitting at 46 hours on steam. Overall I am extremely happy with how the game turned out. It is a totally worthy successor to Baldur's Gate 2 in every way, from graphic design, sound/music, gameplay, and story. The setting really grew on me, and I I am excited for the potential for the franchise to grow, as Pillars itself only takes place in a relatively small section of Eora. I also like how much of the story/setting centers on politics instead of totally relying on fantasy tropes (which are themselves well executed and interesting. Pillars totally scratched that itch, and I'm already looking forward to starting up another run.

So ready for more. Bring it on, Obsidian.

Also, my end-game choices:

I destroyed Thaos' soul, but chose the reason that did it out of pity instead of vengeance. The dude was a piece of shit, but he was also sort of trapped and consumed by his past and his inability to deviate from it.

I returned the souls to the children, but it was pretty much a tossup between that and returning them to the cycle. Either way the Legacy ends and new children start to be born, which returns hope to folks. Kind of bummed that any of the "good" choices essentially reinforce peoples belief in the gods and hatred of animancy, but from a storytelling standpoint that totally makes sense. I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Well,
I feel like most of the good choices in the game had 'negative' repercussions, going all the way back to Raedric. Even Calisca if you think about it, where resting during the tutorial loses you a party member and, to the best of your knowledge, results in her death. Someone posted a few screens of their endings and they had negative consequences for doing the 'right' thing (poor Pallegina never catches a break), so I think that they made a point about unintended consequences, and overall I like that. The alternative is the Mass Effect-style checklist where if you want the best ending all you have to do is work your way through a checklist while choosing white at every black and white moral juncture.

Durante

I'm done for the day, sitting at 59 hours in Steam now (though ~9 of those were idling). Still in act 2.

I just spent the past 4 hours or so in the endless paths. Such a great dungeon.

Vamphuntr

I'm done for the day, sitting at 59 hours in Steam now (though ~9 of those were idling). Still in act 2.

I found it much inferior to Watcher's keep, personally. There isn't much puzzle or riddle in there but only huge group of enemies.

I finally beat the boss of the endless path. Found a way to cheese it with debuffs.

Force Wall + Capricious Hex
is really useful

*SPOILERS*

http://i.imgur.com/VutoS7E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZdhYMat.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0tG0FFk.jpg

Xiraiya

So, I take it the official guide for the game wasn't created with "final information" in mind?

Valewood page shows a loose stone you can scout for a Ring of Minor protection and so on, but in game the scouting spot is a piece of stone on the ground next to the climbable wall instead with different items, along with other info that is no longer accurate

I feel like it defeats the purpose of there a guide at all if you can't trust it anymore than the out of date Wiki.

Act II spoilers about Heritage Hills
Why can't I kill Icantha? I was able to free her prisioners and she didn't even opposed to it. Also is there any quest related to the tower on the same place, near where there are a lot of undeads I examined the "entrance" but so far I haven't found a way to open it.

Vamphuntr

Act II spoilers about Heritage Hills
Why can't I kill Icantha? I was able to free her prisioners and she didn't even opposed to it. Also is there any quest related to the tower on the same place, near where there are a lot of undeads I examined the "entrance" but so far I haven't found a way to open it.

She's important to the plot. You can't kill her before the quest that involves her. The tower is a main quest.

So far... it seems like a string of encounters with just a massive amount of enemies. Some of the floors seem to have "bosses" which make for some better fights... but it seems like there's a huge clump of enemies around every corner. I'm actually finding it a little annoying. I wish they could have thrown in a few more puzzles or something interesting to do. I'm only on floor 9 though, so maybe it gets better.

Top Bottom